The argument for chokeholds.

sakinago

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2012
Vascular chokeholds (i.e. rear naked choke, guillotine) don’t cut off the airway or airflow. They can restrict airflow, if preformed awkwardly, but it takes a minute or 2 if depriving someone of air to render them unconscious/dead. Vascular chokeholds work by restricting blood flow to the brain (carotid artery), and render people unconscious in seconds. They are perfectly safe. Far safer than tasers, batons, knees on neck, etc. Only in extremely rare cases do they ever cause even moderate damage. I personally have been “choked” unconscious twice, both guillotines. If officers receive the proper training on these techniques, and I’m talking dozens of hours of training, it’s a fact that chokeholds are far safer policing techniques than using tasers or baton.

If you limit the tools of police to just tasers, batons, and pistols, their only option is to escalate a situation facing an unarmed man. If someone drugged up and belligerent is fighting them, the first way to take them out is hopefully a taser, which often aren’t enough depending on the persons size and intoxication. Let’s say it does work, you’ll have 200 lb men free falling to the ground, if that’s on concrete, you’re looking at serious damage if they land on their head. If it doesn’t work, the next option is to repeatedly bash them on the head repeatedly with a baton to render them unconscious. This is an extremely dangerous proposition.

Again, I’m talking vascular choke holds. No risk of damaging the hyoid bones. You’re not digging into the windpipe. You’re cutting off blood flow to the brain, the brain goes into restart mode like your laptop, and starts to boot back up as soon as the hold is released.

When tools are abused they get taken away. You can argue all day for this but it's going to end and those who refuse to abide by the rules will get arrested themselves.

When tools are abused they get taken away. You can argue all day for this but it's going to end and those who refuse to abide by the rules will get arrested themselves.

where there are guns, there are bullets and when bullets fly they sometimes land in heads. Where there is violent resistance, there is violent restraint. What
are the "rules" of restraint?

Unfortunately, with millions of interactions with police and the public each year, there are bound to be hundreds of incidents of cops killing people each year and most of these incidents are justified. There will also be plenty of incidents in which a cop wrongly kills. Taking away tools for cops to use may have the reverse of the desired effect.

where there are guns, there are bullets and when bullets fly they sometimes land in heads. Where there is violent resistance, there is violent restraint. What
are the "rules" of restraint?
?

These chokeholds were never abused because they were never taught or used by police....numb-nuts. France actually just reversed their ban on chokeholds for the same reason. Fist fighting is far more dangerous for both parties than using a vascular chokehold. And no cop would rightly choose to engage in a fist fight if they didn’t have too. It’s too much risk to take on. Sometimes they do have too. But if they have the option, they’ll go to their taser, or baton, because fighting fist to fist is just plain stupid and dangerous. But, if you give them the option and the training to use a vascular chokehold. It’ll be the first move, and by far the safest, to use.

No one is going to risk their own life to keep a thug safe. You disarm the police, there will be none.

Oddly other countries can accomplish this but you will argue the "greatest country in the world" can not.

These chokeholds were never abused because they were never taught or used by police....numb-nuts. France actually just reversed their ban on chokeholds for the same reason. Fist fighting is far more dangerous for both parties than using a vascular chokehold. And no cop would rightly choose to engage in a fist fight if they didn’t have too. It’s too much risk to take on. Sometimes they do have too. But if they have the option, they’ll go to their taser, or baton, because fighting fist to fist is just plain stupid and dangerous. But, if you give them the option and the training to use a vascular chokehold. It’ll be the first move, and by far the safest, to use.

You will note the continual ban. Maybe if the police who abused their position hadn't been excused we wouldn't be here.

No, these tools will not be taken away nor should they be. There should be sound policy on when these tactics are needed.

And yet they are being taken away. Police officers are being fired and arrested for using them. Just quit breaking the laws and you won't get arrested.

Vascular chokeholds (i.e. rear naked choke, guillotine) don’t cut off the airway or airflow. They can restrict airflow, if preformed awkwardly, but it takes a minute or 2 if depriving someone of air to render them unconscious/dead. Vascular chokeholds work by restricting blood flow to the brain (carotid artery), and render people unconscious in seconds. They are perfectly safe. Far safer than tasers, batons, knees on neck, etc. Only in extremely rare cases do they ever cause even moderate damage. I personally have been “choked” unconscious twice, both guillotines. If officers receive the proper training on these techniques, and I’m talking dozens of hours of training, it’s a fact that chokeholds are far safer policing techniques than using tasers or baton.

If you limit the tools of police to just tasers, batons, and pistols, their only option is to escalate a situation facing an unarmed man. If someone drugged up and belligerent is fighting them, the first way to take them out is hopefully a taser, which often aren’t enough depending on the persons size and intoxication. Let’s say it does work, you’ll have 200 lb men free falling to the ground, if that’s on concrete, you’re looking at serious damage if they land on their head. If it doesn’t work, the next option is to repeatedly bash them on the head repeatedly with a baton to render them unconscious. This is an extremely dangerous proposition.

Again, I’m talking vascular choke holds. No risk of damaging the hyoid bones. You’re not digging into the windpipe. You’re cutting off blood flow to the brain, the brain goes into restart mode like your laptop, and starts to boot back up as soon as the hold is released.
I was an MP in the Army. Believe me, I know a choke hold of all choke holds

Not for long. We're seeing increased lawlessness. Whats about to unfold will be mind boggling.

We can understand that this country consists of more than "Wall Street" or millions of us will be OK with increased lawlessness.

Up to people like yourself.

US Citizen is 99 times more killed by there Police force than a UK Citizen...
This doesn't count injuries...

Unarmed US Citizen is 20 more times more likely to be killed than all UK Citizens (both armed and unarmed)

We can understand that this country consists of more than "Wall Street" or millions of us will be OK with increased lawlessness.

Up to people like yourself.
This is crazy talk coming from someone who doesn’t know what they are talking about. What we’re seeing in the news is kids who’ve been stuck inside, get to go out and fuck shit up. If we’re talking actual prolonged lawlessness, what you see is what Honduras or Somalia looks like. No one can get an economic foothold because there is no trust or confidence in a system where if you take a risk on investing in let’s say 100 shirts to sell in the market, there’s no confidence that someone won’t just rob you, or kill you and rob you. The only people who are able to climb the economic ladders in those situations are warlords. Without trust in stability, and a fair amount of confidence in the fact you probably won’t get cheated, the only worthy currency is force. Why be a “good guy” and try to make money the right way, when you’re just going to get robbed and robbers will get away with it? Why not just join the robbers?

Forum List

Back