🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

The best argument for keeping the death penalty

The United States needs to join the rest of the civilized world by evolving beyond executions. Any third world despot can kill its own citizens, but evolved countries are above such barbaric, antiquated, and utterly unnecessary practices.
And any third world nation can release guilty murderers too, and they do.

We have to change how we hand out penalty in our court system. Today we tell juries to sentence completely independent of the likelihood that the person is truly guilty, and so they often convict on flimsy circumstantial evidence then give out death penalties without regard to the certainty of the evidence.

That must stop. Without strong physical evidence, an eye witness or confession, without a known cause of death, or any plain and strong motive, no death penalty should be allowed.
Have to agree with you there. Conviction on circumstantial evidence is an abomination in our justice system.

I look at the economics of it... If a person gets life without any chance of parole instead of the death sentence do the math. A dollar's worth of electricity is much cheaper than feeding and housing a criminal for 20 or 30 years. Fry them!
I'd rather punish bad people instead of putting them out of their misery, but to each his own.

That's just barbaric.
As opposed to killing people to save a dollar? That's just Republican.

Where did I say I wanted the asswipe killed to save money?????
No need to be rude. We're not in a schoolyard.

It was another poster who shares your views. When you buy into a position, you also buy the motivations of others who share that position, like it or not. You're all painted with the same brush.

The United States needs to join the rest of the civilized world by evolving beyond executions. Any third world despot can kill its own citizens, but evolved countries are above such barbaric, antiquated, and utterly unnecessary practices.
And any third world nation can release guilty murderers too, and they do.

We have to change how we hand out penalty in our court system. Today we tell juries to sentence completely independent of the likelihood that the person is truly guilty, and so they often convict on flimsy circumstantial evidence then give out death penalties without regard to the certainty of the evidence.

That must stop. Without strong physical evidence, an eye witness or confession, without a known cause of death, or any plain and strong motive, no death penalty should be allowed.
Have to agree with you there. Conviction on circumstantial evidence is an abomination in our justice system.

Conviction and the sentence are two completely different things. No one should be sentenced to death on circumstantial evidence unless it's proven that the culprit destroyed the evidence to cover the crime.

I look at the economics of it... If a person gets life without any chance of parole instead of the death sentence do the math. A dollar's worth of electricity is much cheaper than feeding and housing a criminal for 20 or 30 years. Fry them!
I'd rather punish bad people instead of putting them out of their misery, but to each his own.

That's just barbaric.

It was another poster who shares your views. When you buy into a position, you also buy the motivations of others who share that position, like it or not. You're all painted with the same brush.

Sure, claim I'm rude, but post what you did?

Dense is thy name.

That's just barbaric.

I suppose if some low-life raped and killed your sister you'd want to keep the SOB alive and well for as long as you could. Sounds pretty Democratic to me.
You bet. The suicide rate among prisoners is eight times the US national average for a reason. I want them to be punished over time, as long as possible until they die in prison one way or another, not be put down immediately like a sick pet.

That's just barbaric.

Dense is thy name.
If prison is too barbaric for you, I assure you that homicide is even more so.

The suicide rate among prisoners is eight times the US national average for a reason.
Almost as high as the suicide rate among our veterans, huh?
And for the same reasons, I'm sure...

For our servicemen it is more often from the feeling of abandonment by a nation you sacrificed much of your life for and saw your friends die for and then the government treats you like shit. It happened to me several times but I have a family to live for and a God who will judge me harshly for taking the easy way out.

The very definition of justice is based on the word "just" meaning equal to, no more than.

If justice were to truly be served, this man's life should be taken.

Last edited:
The suicide rate among prisoners is eight times the US national average for a reason.
Almost as high as the suicide rate among our veterans, huh?
And for the same reasons, I'm sure...

For our servicemen it is more often from the feeling of abandonment by a nation you sacrificed much of your life for and saw your friends die for and then the government treats you like shit. It happened to me several times but I have a family to live for and a God who will judge me harshly for taking the easy way out.
And the prison suicide rate is due to having to face yet another day in that hellhole.

Isn't that what prison is for? To amplify one's regret for seriously fucking up? Is liberating him from this life he's chosen for himself through his decisions and actions justified, if you really want to honor his victims?

That's just barbaric.

Dense is thy name.

Youre a bit dense, ain't ya?

The very definition of justice is based on the word "just" meaning equal to, no more than.

If justice were to truly be served, this man's life should be taken.
In English, "just" means "fair", not "equal".
As I just said. Don't presume to instruct me on etymology. You will lose.
Not etymology, just helping you keep avoiding cracking open a dictionary.

Dude, that grammar is laughable.

Dense is thy name.

Youre a bit dense, ain't ya?
Is that your limitation? Can't put together a rational argument, so insult people who you disagree with you for God knows what reasons?

How juvenile.

Isn't that what prison is for? To amplify one's regret for seriously fucking up? Is liberating him from this life he's chosen for himself through his decisions and actions justified, if you really want to honor his victims?
I dont think so.

The primary goal of imprisonment is to isolate the criminal from the population to protect the public, but the government of course is not handling that too well.

Forum List

Back