🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

The best argument for keeping the death penalty

The church permits the death penalty....
Only when absolutely necessary according to the CCC. In the past, it was difficult, even inhumane, to try to imprison people for life. But today we have the resources and technology to incarcerate someone for life while feeding them adequately and providing for their health care needs. Even the most dangerous can be kept in isolation and the most vulnerable protected from the general population. All the reasons it used to be impractical and even dangerous to incarcerate for life have dissipated, rendering the death penalty unnecessary.

And the Catholic Church's unwaivering teaching is that applying the death penalty apart from necessity is wrong.

Read how the monster tortured, raped and killed the innocent child.

For a moment think back to when you were eleven. Think of what would be going through you're mind. This could have lasted hours, days or weeks for all we know.

Think about that, and then define necessity.

The question of the Death Penalty boils down to the ability to think about the situation versus feeling about the situation.....

Those against the death penalty see the guy.....without any other input other than him being in jail, alone, isolated, in a very unpleasant environment.....the victim, this boy....is long dead, and they have no experience of what that boy suffered...

So....emotions take over, and they favor leniency for the killer....because they can't see past who he is at this time...they can't see him as he was as the boy was suffering and crying out for rescue.......

That is why I am for the death penalty.....I think about what the killer did, who he was at the time of the act, and the suffering of the victim......and I do not want that to happen to another innocent human being.....it has nothing to do with revenge, or making the guy suffer...it is about stopping this from ever happening again...
Capital punishment is pure revenge. It's nothing but emotion. If its proponents thought it through, they'd realize that punishment is more rational.

Rational is preventing them from killing again.
If that's your only goal.

Only when absolutely necessary according to the CCC. In the past, it was difficult, even inhumane, to try to imprison people for life. But today we have the resources and technology to incarcerate someone for life while feeding them adequately and providing for their health care needs. Even the most dangerous can be kept in isolation and the most vulnerable protected from the general population. All the reasons it used to be impractical and even dangerous to incarcerate for life have dissipated, rendering the death penalty unnecessary.

And the Catholic Church's unwaivering teaching is that applying the death penalty apart from necessity is wrong.

For a moment think back to when you were eleven. Think of what would be going through you're mind. This could have lasted hours, days or weeks for all we know.

The question of the Death Penalty boils down to the ability to think about the situation versus feeling about the situation.....

Those against the death penalty see the guy.....without any other input other than him being in jail, alone, isolated, in a very unpleasant environment.....the victim, this boy....is long dead, and they have no experience of what that boy suffered...

So....emotions take over, and they favor leniency for the killer....because they can't see past who he is at this time...they can't see him as he was as the boy was suffering and crying out for rescue.......

That is why I am for the death penalty.....I think about what the killer did, who he was at the time of the act, and the suffering of the victim......and I do not want that to happen to another innocent human being.....it has nothing to do with revenge, or making the guy suffer...it is about stopping this from ever happening again...
Capital punishment is pure revenge. It's nothing but emotion. If its proponents thought it through, they'd realize that punishment is more rational.

Yet some would claim it, life without parole cruel and unusual.

Houston, we have a problem.
I've never heard that argument presented. Got a link to someone, or some group, of that opinion?

This is the problem with allowing murderers to live.....

A convicted murderer was released early for good behavior. Months later, he killed again.

Malcolm B. Benson spent 19 years behind bars after pleading guilty to second-degree murder in 1995.

The 50-year-old from Highland Park, Mich., was released early for good behavior in January 2015, according to MLive.com.

Police say it took only nine months for him to kill again.

His victim, a 59-year-old Army veteran named Stanley Carter, was waiting at a bus stop on his way to work with a group of people when Benson shot him during a botched robbery, according to CBS affiliate WWJ.

I've never heard that argument presented. Got a link to someone, or some group, of that opinion?

I have heard that argument....I saw a story once of a 70-80 year old man....convicted of murder but released after serving his time...within weeks of being released he murdered his landlord......
Hmm. An anecdote you read once.

Color me convinced.

Here you go....10 more murderers who were eventually released and murdered again......the death penalty would have kept these victims alive....

10 Twisted Murderers Who Were Freed...Then Killed Again

In 1983 Corey Barton beat and stabbed Shari-Ann Merton to death. He accepted a plea-bargain that reduced the charge to manslaughter and landed him an 18-year sentence. In 1992, after completing slightly more than 9½ years of his sentence, he was released on parole by the state of Connecticut.

He remained out of trouble for six years, but in 1998, he struck again — murdering his ex-girlfriend and the mother of his four-year-old son, Sally Harris. Her family consented to a second-degree murder charge with a sentence of 28 years in prison (minimum of 21 year to be served) for fear he would be acquitted due to circumstantial evidence.

As of today, he is incarcerated at Central Prison in North Carolina. His projected release date is 11/12/2021 if he serves the entire sentence. He will only be 56 years old.

This one shows the error your argument.....a moron of a Governor let this monster out.......you cannot gaurantee that the murderer will not murder again...the death penalty makes sure they never kill again...

Considered a serial killer with a preference for little boys, John McRae was only 16 years old when he slashed the throat and genitals of 8-year-old Joey Housey in 1950.

Convicted of 1st degree murder, he was sentenced to life. William Milliken, governor of Michigan, commuted his sentence in 1972 and John was paroled.

He married, had a son, and became a prison guard (seriously!) in the state of Florida at a facility for youthful offenders.

Over the next several years, he tortured and murdered four more boys before being convicted and sentenced to life in 1998.

However, his sentence was overturned. In 2005 he was brought to trial again and sentenced to life. He died in prison the same year.

And this guy...how do you guarantee that you can keep this guy locked up?

Convicted of raping and murdering a 16-year-old girl in 1964, Dwaine Little received a life sentence in 1966. However, the state of Oregon granted him parole in 1974. In September that year, a family of four called the Cowdens went missing while on a camping trip. In 1975, Dwain was returned to prison for a parole violation and the skeletal remains of the family were found.

Evidence led the police to center their investigation on Dwain, though he was never charged with these murders. In 1977, he was paroled again. He then stayed under the radar until 1980 when he raped and killed a pregnant hitchhiker. He was sentenced to two life sentences, though most believe he should be charged with the murder of the Cowden family as well. He is currently incarcerated within Oregon’s Department of Corrections.

Last edited:

A convicted murderer was released early for good behavior. Months later, he killed again.

Malcolm B. Benson spent 19 years behind bars after pleading guilty to second-degree murder in 1995.

The 50-year-old from Highland Park, Mich., was released early for good behavior in January 2015, according to MLive.com.

His victim, a 59-year-old Army veteran named Stanley Carter, was waiting at a bus stop on his way to work with a group of people when Benson shot him during a botched robbery, according to CBS affiliate WWJ.
The problem was the sentence for murder was set too low. If he was released, take it up with the state legislature. They should have thrown away the key.

The problem was the sentence for murder was set too low. If he was released, take it up with the state legislature. They should have thrown away the key.

That is your answer......take it up with the State Legislature........these stories show that you belief is stupid....there is no way you can guarantee that these murderers will not kill again...some of them were sentenced to Life In Prison...what you advocate......and they were set free years later.......

That is the chance you are willing to take.......their victims might disagree with you....

How is a life sentence for rape and murder too low? that is what you are saying will keep these guys behind bars....and it didn't......

Convicted of raping and murdering a 16-year-old girl in 1964, Dwaine Little received a life sentence in 1966. However, the state of Oregon granted him parole in 1974.

Here are 5....given life sentences and freed to kill again....the very sentence you say will keep them from committing murder....

Revealed: The five murderers who were given life in jail - but were fr

Five convicted killers released from jail have murdered again in the past four years, some just weeks after leaving custody, it was revealed today.

Andrew Dawson, George Johnson, Ernest Wright, David Cook and Desmond Lee were only given 'whole life' sentences after committing murder for the second time.

The families of their victims said today 'life should mean life'.

Even some relatives of the killers believe that their family-member should never have been released the first time round.

Convicted murderer Andrew Dawson branded himself the 'Angel of Mercy' after a series of murders.

He was given a life sentence in 1982 after admitting the murder of a 91-year-old Henry Walsh in his flat at Ormskirk, Lancashire, stabbing him a dozen times with bread knife.

Within weeks of his release in 2010, he stabbed defenceless John Matthews and Paul Hancock to death in separate attacks, before leaving their bodies in their bathtubs in Derby.

The 51-year-old told police he felt an 'urge to kill' before knocking on the men's doors in the block of flats, where he also lived, and hacked them to death.

Read more: Revealed: The five murderers who were given life in jail - but were fr
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

So....after actually showing you that your policy of life in prison is not actually life in prison in too many cases......how can you still defend it?

Kinda makes you wonder who got them released, and why. Sounds like the juries did their part. Who dropped the ball? Have you looked into that?

Kinda makes you wonder who got them released, and why. Sounds like the juries did their part. Who dropped the ball? Have you looked into that?

It does not matter who dropped the ball.........your entire premise is that a sentence of Life in Prison is enough to keep them from committing murder again....and I have clearly shown that it is not.......there is no guarantee that you can give that is realistic........the death penalty makes sure they never torture and murder new victims.......

From the above link...yes..it is from Britain..it shows they are as silly as anti death penalty people here....

George Johnson murdered Gerald Homer in 1986 for just £3, forcing him to strip naked before hacking him to death, inflicting 35 wounds using knives and scissors in Wolverhampton.

He was freed in 2006 and five years later he battered to death 89-year-old widow Florence Habesch for £25 as she made a cup of tea. His attack was delivered with such force he caved in her skull.

His first victim's sister Eileen Dawson, 64, told The Sun today: 'Life should mean life, not just 15 or 20 years. If someone takes someone else's life, then why should they have their own?'

Her husband Vincent, 63, added: 'It isn't right. If life meant life then that old lad

Read more: Revealed: The five murderers who were given life in jail - but were fr
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Here...a whole list of murderers you say will be kept from murdering by life in prison.....who were released and committed murder again...or who murdered their guards..........

A List of Murderers Released to Murder Again!

How about this guy...life in prison...escaped....murdered 4 people......think your system works?

Randy Greenawalt -- Escaped from Prison in 1978, while serving a life sentence for a 1974 murder. He then murdered a family of 4 people, shotgunning them to death, including a toddler.

And this guard........

In 1999, a Beeville (Texas) prison guard was killed by an inmate already serving a sentence for murder.

And this guy...how did life work for him?

Chad Allen Lee -- Convicted of capital murder. Sentenced to other than death. Released and went on murder spree. Murdering Linda Reynolds, a pizza delivery person, and 9 days later robbed and murdered David Lacey, a taxi cab driver. Lee then robbed a mini-market 7 days after than. Shooting the owner, Harold Drury, multiple times without reason.

There are no guarantees in life, including a guarantee that you'll kill only guilty people.

The odds of killing an innocent person...much smaller than a murderer killing again......

There are no guarantees in life, including a guarantee that you'll kill only guilty people.

Here is one absolute guarantee.....if a convicted murderer is put to death...they will never commit murder again...I can guarantee that.....you cannot guarantee that a murderer with a life sentence will not kill again....

Here is one absolute guarantee.....if a convicted murderer is put to death...they will never commit murder again...I can guarantee that.....you cannot guarantee that a murderer with a life sentence will not kill again....

true even if they dont get released from prison

happens on occasion

My wife and I are committed Catholics, so we were already against the death penalty, but after watching several episodes of Dateline MSNBC, we're even more so. Many murder prosecutions had only circumstantial evidence and the jury convicted anyway, which is why I'm more terrified of a jury of my peers than any terrorist. Some episodes were about the uphill battle these innocent prisoners faced to get a wrongful conviction overturned, which is almost impossible.

I don't trust this government to kill people and and any true conservative with any libertarian streak would feel the same.

I was raised Catholic. Not seeing the broad brush you're painting with.

Read what he did to an innocent boy. He knows that killing that boy, if caught can result in his death.

To me, the asshole signed his own death warrant and, in effect, committed suicide.

I would have no problem walking through the pearly gates if allowed ( and it would be my pleasure ) to throw the switch on this scum.
If you are still a devout Catholic, you would protect life from conception to natural death as the Church teaches. Regardless, people on both sides of this controversy will go to heaven.

I'm sure what he did to this child was reprehensible. It still doesn't change my commitment to defending life.

The church permits the death penalty....

Sorry......you can't promise that a killer will not kill another innocent person...wether a guard, prison staff, or someone should he/she escape....and then that innocent blood is on your hands...
And you can't promise me that someone who has never killed will not kill an innocent person. If we're killing people because they might kill, where does that end? Precrime is a very dark and slippery slope that can take society to a terrible place.

Forum List

Back