🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

The best argument for keeping the death penalty

Isn't that what prison is for? To amplify one's regret for seriously fucking up? Is liberating him from this life he's chosen for himself through his decisions and actions justified, if you really want to honor his victims?
I dont think so.

The primary goal of imprisonment is to isolate the criminal from the population to protect the public, but the government of course is not handling that too well.
Apparently it's handling it better than the private sector is. The feds are phasing out its contracts with privately-run prisons because of the many problems that develop in those institutions.

I appears to boil down to subjectivity. I think criminals should be punished. Others seem to want to keep them from being punished and instead, put them down like an innocent, sick animal.

Different strokes, and all that.

Apparently it's handling it better than the private sector is. The feds are phasing out its contracts with privately-run prisons because of the many problems that develop in those institutions.

I appears to boil down to subjectivity. I think criminals should be punished. Others seem to want to keep them from being punished and instead, put them down like an innocent, sick animal.

Well part of the problem with private prisons is if the lawyers and judges are allowed to invest in them.

Then you are giving the justice system an incentive into putting people into prison, arent you?

Well part of the problem with private prisons is if the lawyers and judges are allowed to invest in them.

Then you are giving the justice system an incentive into putting people into prison, arent you?
I doubt that these lawyers and judges you refer to (who are they?) are involved in the day-to-day operations of the institutions. They're not being rejected because of their ownership, but for their performance.

I don't like the death penalty but if it were my child I'd want to kill the evil bastard myself, so guess I'm mixed up about it.

I just don't trust the court look what most of them become, POLITICIANS.
My wife and I are committed Catholics, so we were already against the death penalty, but after watching several episodes of Dateline MSNBC, we're even more so. Many murder prosecutions had only circumstantial evidence and the jury convicted anyway, which is why I'm more terrified of a jury of my peers than any terrorist. Some episodes were about the uphill battle these innocent prisoners faced to get a wrongful conviction overturned, which is almost impossible.

I don't trust this government to kill people and and any true conservative with any libertarian streak would feel the same.

I was raised Catholic. Not seeing the broad brush you're painting with.

Read what he did to an innocent boy. He knows that killing that boy, if caught can result in his death.

To me, the asshole signed his own death warrant and, in effect, committed suicide.

I would have no problem walking through the pearly gates if allowed ( and it would be my pleasure ) to throw the switch on this scum.
If you are still a devout Catholic, you would protect life from conception to natural death as the Church teaches. Regardless, people on both sides of this controversy will go to heaven.

I'm sure what he did to this child was reprehensible. It still doesn't change my commitment to defending life.

There isn't a problem in this world that can't be "solved" by killing the people responsible for the problem. Since we can't seem to agree on where the line should be drawn, I suggest we simply stop doing it until we can agree.

Capital punishment is the prime example of Big Government run amok. How can any freedom-loving American abide uniformed government employees ritualistically killing a restrained prisoner?

So.....government kidnapping, in the form of detaining criminals against their will should end too?

I don't like the death penalty but if it were my child I'd want to kill the evil bastard myself, so guess I'm mixed up about it.

My wife and I are committed Catholics, so we were already against the death penalty, but after watching several episodes of Dateline MSNBC, we're even more so. Many murder prosecutions had only circumstantial evidence and the jury convicted anyway, which is why I'm more terrified of a jury of my peers than any terrorist. Some episodes were about the uphill battle these innocent prisoners faced to get a wrongful conviction overturned, which is almost impossible.

I don't trust this government to kill people and and any true conservative with any libertarian streak would feel the same.

Read what he did to an innocent boy. He knows that killing that boy, if caught can result in his death.

To me, the asshole signed his own death warrant and, in effect, committed suicide.

I would have no problem walking through the pearly gates if allowed ( and it would be my pleasure ) to throw the switch on this scum.
If you are still a devout Catholic, you would protect life from conception to natural death as the Church teaches. Regardless, people on both sides of this controversy will go to heaven.

I'm sure what he did to this child was reprehensible. It still doesn't change my commitment to defending life.

The church permits the death penalty....

The Church also permitted the Inquisition.

The Church isn't always right.

The Church also permitted the Inquisition.

The Church isn't always right.

But it is right on the death penalty.

Isn't that what prison is for? To amplify one's regret for seriously fucking up? Is liberating him from this life he's chosen for himself through his decisions and actions justified, if you really want to honor his victims?
I dont think so.

The primary goal of imprisonment is to isolate the criminal from the population to protect the public, but the government of course is not handling that too well.

The only way to keep them from killing again is to execute them....the only way.

Only when absolutely necessary according to the CCC. In the past, it was difficult, even inhumane, to try to imprison people for life. But today we have the resources and technology to incarcerate someone for life while feeding them adequately and providing for their health care needs. Even the most dangerous can be kept in isolation and the most vulnerable protected from the general population. All the reasons it used to be impractical and even dangerous to incarcerate for life have dissipated, rendering the death penalty unnecessary.

And the Catholic Church's unwaivering teaching is that applying the death penalty apart from necessity is wrong.

Only when absolutely necessary according to the CCC. In the past, it was difficult, even inhumane, to try to imprison people for life. But today we have the resources and technology to incarcerate someone for life while feeding them adequately and providing for their health care needs. Even the most dangerous can be kept in isolation and the most vulnerable protected from the general population. All the reasons it used to be impractical and even dangerous to incarcerate for life have dissipated, rendering the death penalty unnecessary.

And the Catholic Church's unwaivering teaching is that applying the death penalty apart from necessity is wrong.

Sorry......you can't promise that a killer will not kill another innocent person...wether a guard, prison staff, or someone should he/she escape....and then that innocent blood is on your hands...

Where did I say I wanted the asswipe killed to save money?????
No need to be rude. We're not in a schoolyard.

It was another poster who shares your views. When you buy into a position, you also buy the motivations of others who share that position, like it or not. You're all painted with the same brush.

Sure, claim I'm rude, but post what you did?

Dense is thy name.
If prison is too barbaric for you, I assure you that homicide is even more so.

Youre a bit dense, ain't ya?
Is that your limitation? Can't put together a rational argument, so insult people who you disagree with you for God knows what reasons?

How juvenile.

Thanks, that answered my inquiry.

Read how the monster tortured, raped and killed the innocent child.

For a moment think back to when you were eleven. Think of what would be going through you're mind. This could have lasted hours, days or weeks for all we know.

Think about that, and then define necessity.

For a moment think back to when you were eleven. Think of what would be going through you're mind. This could have lasted hours, days or weeks for all we know.

The question of the Death Penalty boils down to the ability to think about the situation versus feeling about the situation.....

Those against the death penalty see the guy.....without any other input other than him being in jail, alone, isolated, in a very unpleasant environment.....the victim, this boy....is long dead, and they have no experience of what that boy suffered...

So....emotions take over, and they favor leniency for the killer....because they can't see past who he is at this time...they can't see him as he was as the boy was suffering and crying out for rescue.......

That is why I am for the death penalty.....I think about what the killer did, who he was at the time of the act, and the suffering of the victim......and I do not want that to happen to another innocent human being.....it has nothing to do with revenge, or making the guy suffer...it is about stopping this from ever happening again...

The question of the Death Penalty boils down to the ability to think about the situation versus feeling about the situation.....

Those against the death penalty see the guy.....without any other input other than him being in jail, alone, isolated, in a very unpleasant environment.....the victim, this boy....is long dead, and they have no experience of what that boy suffered...

So....emotions take over, and they favor leniency for the killer....because they can't see past who he is at this time...they can't see him as he was as the boy was suffering and crying out for rescue.......

That is why I am for the death penalty.....I think about what the killer did, who he was at the time of the act, and the suffering of the victim......and I do not want that to happen to another innocent human being.....it has nothing to do with revenge, or making the guy suffer...it is about stopping this from ever happening again...
Capital punishment is pure revenge. It's nothing but emotion. If its proponents thought it through, they'd realize that punishment is more rational.

Capital punishment is pure revenge. It's nothing but emotion. If its proponents thought it through, they'd realize that punishment is more rational.

Yet some would claim it, life without parole cruel and unusual.

Houston, we have a problem.

I've never heard that argument presented. Got a link to someone, or some group, of that opinion?

Wrong....though there is nothing wrong with that either.......killing a violent murderer ensures they will never take another innocent life...there is nothing you can do that will ensure they won't kill again.....nothing.....if they are dead, they can't kill...it is that simple.

Allowing someone who tortured and murdered a boy to have food, watch television, have sex, read, shoot hoops, and engage in activities that their victim will never be able to do again...that is wrong......

Rational is preventing them from killing again...emotion is allowing them to live.

I've never heard that argument presented. Got a link to someone, or some group, of that opinion?

I have heard that argument....I saw a story once of a 70-80 year old man....convicted of murder but released after serving his time...within weeks of being released he murdered his landlord......

Forum List

Back