The Bible Declares That A Rich Man Has Little Chance To Get To Heaven

I'm sure as hell (uh, no pun intended there) no expert on biblical matters, but I do wonder how wealthy Christians square this with their investment portfolios.

Maybe there's another verse in there that cancels this out or something, huh?

You might want to actually read this "Bible" you think you know before commenting on it.
Yeah, no thanks.

I was hoping for some straight answers, I thought it was a fair question.

Starting over, here is your post:

I'm sure as hell (uh, no pun intended there) no expert on biblical matters, but I do wonder how wealthy Christians square this with their investment portfolios.

Maybe there's another verse in there that cancels this out or something, huh?

What you posted is definitely a loaded question. What are you asking about? What is "this."

Why so defensive?

Seems like a fair question. What's the answer, do you suppose?

Not defensive at all. It just amazes me how folks will comment on things that they do not know.
Holy crap, I admitted that right up front, and I'm asking a question!

What's wrong with that?

Does anyone ELSE want to answer this?

Yes, you did. I always like a comment wrapped up in a question. How do financial advisors live with pushing the rich and famous lifestyle?
Well, first, I'm agnostic, so I have no book to spin for. That would be a fair question for a Christian advisor.

And I actually don't "push the rich and famous lifestyle". While I do have clients worth seven and eight figures, I can't think of one who lives like that. Not even close.

One of them did once contribute about $450,000 to a charity I used to run. Most of my wealthier clients are humble people who made good decisions over time. You would never know by looking at them how much money they have.

OK, then, you by observation admit that being well off is not necessarily what the supposed Bible verse is all about? So now that you admit such, what is your actual question?

BTW, if you have not noticed I am not real happy with my financial advisor.

Diversify is the cult word for financial advisors who play long term. When I was in the market I played short term and made a bundle by market trending.

Why so defensive?

Not defensive at all. It just amazes me how folks will comment on things that they do not know.

What's wrong with that?

Yes, you did. I always like a comment wrapped up in a question. How do financial advisors live with pushing the rich and famous lifestyle?
Well, first, I'm agnostic, so I have no book to spin for. That would be a fair question for a Christian advisor.

And I actually don't "push the rich and famous lifestyle". While I do have clients worth seven and eight figures, I can't think of one who lives like that. Not even close.

One of them did once contribute about $450,000 to a charity I used to run. Most of my wealthier clients are humble people who made good decisions over time. You would never know by looking at them how much money they have.

OK, then, you by observation admit that being well off is not necessarily what the supposed Bible verse is all about? So now that you admit such, what is your actual question?

Talk to a few trusted friends, get the names of theirs, and interview them. Gotta have a good relationship with your FA. This is important shit. Here: Ask your financial advisor these 10 questions now

Regarding the verse, it looks like they're talking about people who would be considered wealthy within their community. Certainly everything is relative. I would think - again, admittedly ignorant here - that the point is that those who have attained wealth are supposed to directly help others with it, not accumulate it to purchase goodies for themselves.

No?

What's wrong with that?

Talk to a few trusted friends, get the names of theirs, and interview them. Gotta have a good relationship with your FA. This is important shit. Here: Ask your financial advisor these 10 questions now

Regarding the verse, it looks like they're talking about people who would be considered wealthy within their community. Certainly everything is relative. I would think - again, admittedly ignorant here - that the point is that those who have attained wealth are supposed to directly help others with it, not accumulate it to purchase goodies for themselves.

No?

Thanks for the link, I look forward to asking him those questions, and I have not read them yet.

Here are some verses you might consider:

Behold, a certain lawyer stood up and tested him, saying, "Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?"

He said to him, "What is written in the law? How do you read it?"

He answered, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your strength, with all your mind, [Deuteronomy 6:5]; and your neighbour as yourself [Leviticus 19:18]."

He said to him, "You have answered correctly. Do this, and you will live."

But he, desiring to justify himself, asked Jesus, "Who is my neighbour?"
— Luke 10:25–29, World English Bible

The parable of the Good Samaritan follows.

King James Bible
For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

Do you see a theme?

The stock market is nothing more than a high stakes poker game.

While I agree, what other game is there? Two months ago putting money under a rock would have been better than the stock market. Now the stock market has soared.

My FA keeps telling me that in order to make money risks need to be taken when the market is low. Well, so far I have not see the risk/reward of his advice.

I'm sure as hell (uh, no pun intended there) no expert on biblical matters, but I do wonder how wealthy Christians square this with their investment portfolios. Maybe there's another verse in there that cancels this out or something, huh?
Yes, considering what you do that should make you an agent of Satan. Unless of course you never really make anyone rich.
Why so defensive?

What's wrong with that?

In the 'camel through the eye of a needle story' The rich man asked Jesus what 'good deed' must he do to receive eternal life. When Jesus told him to keep the commandments he bragged that he had kept the law ever since he was a boy. Being 'orthodox' was the source of his wealth, confidence and security.. Then Jesus said to him,

“If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.” When the young man heard this he went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions.

Here Jesus told the man to sell the garbage that he bought into, that the the law was to be taken and applied literally, and give to the poor, tell people why, and follow him by learning the deeper meanings of the words of the law and conforming to that.

The story is not about money or Jesus telling the man that he needs to become destitute.

Its about Jesus knowing that one cannot put anything into the cup of the person who is already full of himself.

Last edited:
A poker game where the dealer prints aces.

Stock Market abuse, nothing more and nothing less. Cards are being passed under the table but that is expected and something to watch out for in a high stakes poker game.

What's wrong with that?

No?

I went and read the questions.

Here is what I did in the past, I listen around with my friends and when one of them highly recommended my FA I went and listened to what he had to say. He more or less did answer all the questions, except I am not sure about the certification questions but I believe that was covered.

I did ask him, what happens to my investments if he is gone. He seemed to take offense to that and asked where I thought he would be going. I said corporate. (I actually don't rule out suicide)

He is really a nice guy and explains everything to me to more than my satisfaction. But the reality is that I see nothing that is going to make the economy better and I keep telling him that. Right now my CDs and checking accounts with no interest is doing as well or better without commission.

That all said, what investments are doing is one of the better problems to worry about.

re: #30
Zen Jesus.

Exactly.

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than it is for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven = one cannot put anything into the cup of the person who is already full of himself.

I'm sure as hell (uh, no pun intended there) no expert on biblical matters, but I do wonder how wealthy Christians square this with their investment portfolios. Maybe there's another verse in there that cancels this out or something, huh?
Yes, considering what you do that should make you an agent of Satan. Unless of course you never really make anyone rich.
Why so defensive?

What's wrong with that?

In the 'camel through the eye of a needle story' The rich man asked Jesus what 'good deed' must he do to receive eternal life. When Jesus told him to keep the commandments he bragged that he had kept the law ever since he was a boy. Being 'orthodox' was the source of his wealth, confidence and security.. Then Jesus said to him,

“If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.” When the young man heard this he went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions.

Here Jesus told the man to sell the garbage that he bought into, that the the law was to be taken and applied literally, and give to the poor, tell people why, and follow him by learning the deeper meanings of the words of the law and conforming to that.

The story is not about money.

Its about Jesus knowing that one cannot put anything into the cup of the person who is already full of himself.

King James 2000 Bible
For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

What's wrong with that?

No?

I went and read the questions.

Here is what I did in the past, I listen around with my friends and when one of them highly recommended my FA I went and listened to what he had to say. He more or less did answer all the questions, except I am not sure about the certification questions but I believe that was covered.

I did ask him, what happens to my investments if he is gone. He seemed to take offense to that and asked where I thought he would be going. I said corporate. (I actually don't rule out suicide)

He is really a nice guy and explains everything to me to more than my satisfaction. But the reality is that I see nothing that is going to make the economy better and I keep telling him that. Right now my CDs and checking accounts with no interest is doing as well or better without commission.

That all said, what investments are doing is one of the better problems to worry about.
Yeah, the economy has been flat for a while, and right now there's nothing to goose it. Worse, the global economy is also flat, so it's tough to find anything to grab on to.

Making this even more fun is the fact that central banks have decided that they're in charge of "fixing" everything, all evidence to the contrary. There's so much artificial fluff right now that everything is paralyzed. We need some kind of shock to the system, but it can't be just ANY shock.

In your FA's defense, I've actually tried to turn down a couple of people who were referred to me recently. They told me that their investments have been flat for the last 18 to 24 months and they want a better advisor. I had to be honest and tell them that MOST people's investments have been flat during that time, and (essentially) that I can't perform magic.

Flat ain't fun. I agree with the saying "there's always a bull market somewhere", but finding one has been pretty tough.

Why so defensive?

What's wrong with that?

The story is not about money.

King James 2000 Bible
For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

I can make a silk purse from a sow's ear.

"Rich" IS hard to define - I'm not rich in terms of money, but I'm rich in terms of good health, wonderful children, people who love me. Someone posted the often misquoted "money is the root of all evil" - another posted the full quote: For the LOVE of money is the root of all evil. Big difference there.

Maybe Dickens' Christmas Carol is a good example. Old Scrooge was a wealthy man with a real bad attitude and outlook on life - and a hell of a miser on top of it. So one Christmas Eve he has a series of nightmares that scare the bejeebus out of him as to his past, present and future life ... and Christmas morning he wakes up in a different state of mind, makes his amends so to speak and then shares some of the wealth ... to the astonishment and joy of those who have been so offended in the past by the old goat. Scrooge sees the difference in how people respond ... and he understands the feeling of joy.

Then there are the people who resent the wealth of others and feel entitled to have a portion of it handed over to them "just because." Those people are driven by greed ... the LOVE of money ... and one of those so-called "seven deadly sins."

It's a matter of attitude.

"Rich" IS hard to define - I'm not rich in terms of money, but I'm rich in terms of good health, wonderful children, people who love me. Someone posted the often misquoted "money is the root of all evil" - another posted the full quote: For the LOVE of money is the root of all evil. Big difference there.

Maybe Dickens' Christmas Carol is a good example. Old Scrooge was a wealthy man with a real bad attitude and outlook on life - and a hell of a miser on top of it. So one Christmas Eve he has a series of nightmares that scare the bejeebus out of him as to his past, present and future life ... and Christmas morning he wakes up in a different state of mind, makes his amends so to speak and then shares some of the wealth ... to the astonishment and joy of those who have been so offended in the past by the old goat. Scrooge sees the difference in how people respond ... and he understands the feeling of joy.

Then there are the people who resent the wealth of others and feel entitled to have a portion of it handed over to them "just because." Those people are driven by greed ... the LOVE of money ... and one of those so-called "seven deadly sins."

It's a matter of attitude.

Right.

After he said that the love of money is the root of all evil he went on to say,

"So I tell you, use your worldly wealth to make friends for yourselves so that when money is a thing of the past you may be received into an eternal abode." Luke 16:9

Notice he did not say to throw money away and become destitute and homeless and he did not say to give it to religious scam artists or corrupt politicians but to use it righteously to personally assist others, make friend for yourselves, so that they may receive the reward of the righteous, a place in the world to come, after they die when money is a thing of the past.

For whoever shall give you even a cup of water to drink in my name, because ye belong to Christ, verily I say to you, he shall not lose his reward. Mark 9:41

Last edited:

Forum List

Back