The Bible doesn't consistently condemn homosexuality?

Show me the incest.
Cain's children had sex with Abel's children and vice versa.
Ever hear of uncle's and aunts?

And you'll have to be VERY precise with your verses cause I can read the original; and I don't mean the Greek, which, by the way, ISN'T the original language of Genesis.
Top 6 Incestuous Relationships In The Bible - Listverse

:lol::lol:

The first claim is already wrong.
As I said, if you can't read the verses in their original language, you are not qualified to make a claim.
Abel married Cain's sister, not his own sister.

Now try doing this without mindlessly copying and pasting other people's errors.

Abel and Cain are brothers. how can one marry the others sister without marrying his own sister? not following there.

You're asking Christians to defend a lie.

That's why you got the neg rep. You're portraying the content of the bible as something other than it really is, and demanding that we do the same.

Forget it.

Actually I asked for someone to explain to me why the opposite portrayal was the dominant one, not for you to agree with my interpretation of the Bible.

But thanks for trying to twist my words, we have some lovely parting gifts for you.
hey new guy kg is a raving sociopath.....speak your mind...her responses are meaningless!

Yep. Stay sane and put her on ignore.

Hey, so first a disclaimer: I'm a strong atheist and I'm definitely no expert on the Bible, the word of "God", or Christian religious traditions.

Having said that, I was reading the Skeptic's Annotated Bible and I noticed that the Bible is not actually consistent concerning homosexuality.

Matthew 8:5-13 said:
And when Jesus was entered into Capernaum, there came unto him a centurion, beseeching him,
And saying, Lord, my servant lieth at home sick
of the palsy, grievously tormented.
And Jesus saith unto him, I will come and heal him.
The centurion answered and said, Lord, I am not worthy that thou shouldest come under my roof: but speak the word only, and my servant shall be healed.
For I am a man under authority, having soldiers under me: and I say to this man, Go, and he goeth; and to another, Come, and he cometh; and to my servant, Do this, and he doeth it.
When Jesus heard it, he marvelled, and said to them that followed, Verily I say unto you, I have not found so great faith, no, not in Israel.
And I say unto you, That many shall come from the east and west, and shall sit down with Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, in the kingdom of heaven.
But the children of the kingdom shall be cast out into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
And Jesus said unto the centurion, Go thy way; and as thou hast believed, so be it done unto thee. And his servant was healed in the selfsame hour.

What was the relationship between the centurion and his slave? Were they a gay couple? If so, Jesus didn't seem to mind.

Ruth 1:14 said:
And they lifted up their voice, and wept again: and Orpah kissed her mother in law; but Ruth clave unto her.

Ruth loved Naomi as Adam loved Eve.

Is Jesus talking about homosexuals here?

Acts 8:26-38 said:
And the angel of the Lord spake unto Philip, saying, Arise, and go toward the south unto the way that goeth down from Jerusalem unto Gaza, which is desert.
And he arose and went: and, behold, a man of Ethiopia, an eunuch of great authority
under Candace queen of the Ethiopians, who had the charge of all her treasure, and had come to Jerusalem for to worship,
Was returning, and sitting in his chariot read Esaias the prophet.
Then the Spirit said unto Philip, Go near, and join thyself to this chariot.
And Philip ran thither to him, and heard him read the prophet Esaias, and said, Understandest thou what thou readest?
And he said, How can I, except some man should guide me? And he desired Philip that he would come up and sit with him.
The place of the scripture which he read was this, He was led as a sheep to the slaughter; and like a lamb dumb before his shearer, so opened he not his mouth:
In his humiliation his judgment was taken away: and who shall declare his generation? for his life is taken from the earth.
And the eunuch answered Philip, and said, I pray thee, of whom speaketh the prophet this? of himself, or of some other man?
Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus.
And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?
And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.
And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him.

Was the eunuch that Philip baptized gay?

II Samuel 1:26 said:
I am distressed for thee, my brother Jonathan: very pleasant hast thou been unto me: thy love to me was wonderful, passing the love of women.

David loved Jonathan more than women.

---

So, I'd like a mildly knowledgeable person on Christianity to answer my question here: Why is it that these passages are generally ignored in favor of the passages that say no to homosexuality?

(And yes, I'm legitimately curious here)

Not a NT expert either, but wow. What glasses are you wearing seeing gay themes in all of that? :)

How lame. You expect us to comment on the homosexuality of biblical personages who were not in any way, shape or form, identified as homosexual...and thus did not receive any censure from Christ re: their homosexuality.

Based on your own perverted assumption that they were all engaging in homosexuality.

Lolol...Nothing stupid or hysterical about that.

The Ruth-Naomi thing and the David-Jonathan thing were both pretty clear-cut, actually. "Eunuchs from birth" is a little more hazy, as it could just mean someone who has no desire for sex or is physically infertile. The rest I admit are pretty hazy.

Not sure why you negrepped me for asking a question about a religion I'm unfamiliar with, I think that's a quite rude reaction.

Er, no, they aren't clear-cut at all. Perverts and anti-Christians who can't imagine any love but sexual love assign it to the scripture..but that does not make it "clear cut".

As I said, if you can't read the verses in their original language, you are not qualified to make a claim.

Now try doing this without mindlessly copying and pasting other people's errors.

Abel and Cain are brothers. how can one marry the others sister without marrying his own sister? not following there.

Actually, I did err.
Adam had sex with himself as Eve was formed from his rib.
God's first criticism of sexual misconduct occurs before the flood.
The criticism is the taking of other people's wives along with an allusion to beastiality.
Incest becomes forbidden to Noah and his descendants.
King David is the eventual result of an incestuous encounter between Lot and his daughter.
There is more to this than meets the eye and I have to do research.

I'm not sure who else they were supposed to have sex with if they were the only people in the world...

Lot and his daughters believed they were the only people left in the world, so the girls got him liquored up and laid with him. But I'm not sure that the ancestry of David comes from THAT coupling..since Lot had other children (including his daughters) and two of his daughters....had husbands before the fall of Sodom & Gomorrah.

Actually, I did err.
The criticism is the taking of other people's wives along with an allusion to beastiality.
King David is the eventual result of an incestuous encounter between Lot and his daughter.

Cain married a woman from the land of Nod, which would indicate that the earth was populated aside from Cain and Able. Adam and Eve were the first to be created in a state of grace.

If you want to look at the story from an evolutionary standpoint instead of a biblical standpoint, the world was populated with subhuman neanderthals. God created the Cro-Magnon. The two existed contemporaneously until the neanderthals died off.

I'm not sure who else they were supposed to have sex with if they were the only people in the world....

The fact that there was a talking serpent indicates that there were already other people in the world, low-lifes maybe, but people. Even the fact that Cain was worried that someone might kill him after being cursed by God indicates that there were already other people.

This shows that the formation of Adam from the dust of the earth into a living being is about Adam being taught by God how to become more than an unthinking lower beast like those who already populated the earth and had the form and shape of a man but an intelligence just slightly above that of a monkey..

I'm not sure who else they were supposed to have sex with if they were the only people in the world....

The fact that there was a talking serpent indicates that there were already other people in the world, low-lifes maybe, but people. Even the fact that Cain was worried that someone might kill him after being cursed by God indicates that there were already other people.

This shows that the formation of Adam from the dust of the earth into a living being is about Adam being taught by God how to become more than an unthinking lower beast like those who already populated the earth and had the form and shape of a man but an intelligence just slightly above that of a monkey..

Serpent cults existed from the Indus Valley to Egypt, the Levant and Mesopotamia .. even the Arabian Peninsula long before the Genesis story.

The snake was perceived as a symbol of fertility, wisdom and reincarnation (or life restored) because they could observe it shedding its skin..

Look at the headgear of the Pharaohs .. its a cobra.

Cain and Abel were old by our standards when the murder occurred.
It is quite possible that Cain married one of his siblings or Abel's daughter or grand daughter.

The intelligence of the serpent does not infer that any other non-humans were able to speak.

Actually, I did err.

Cain married a woman from the land of Nod, which would indicate that the earth was populated aside from Cain and Able. Adam and Eve were the first to be created in a state of grace.

If you want to look at the story from an evolutionary standpoint instead of a biblical standpoint, the world was populated with subhuman neanderthals. God created the Cro-Magnon. The two existed contemporaneously until the neanderthals died off.

the Neanderthals didn't necessarily die off. Talking serpents and lower beasts, clean or unclean, like sheep and goats refer to human beings some of whom still live think and act like some bizzare subhuman species still lurking among us. I heard they like to wear long robes and preside over very important religious ceremonies.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/05/s...l=1&adxnnlx=1387908442-18YoMQLYPl6X/PCCN3mBhw

It is quite possible that Cain married one of his siblings or Abel's daughter or grand daughter.

The intelligence of the serpent does not infer that any other non-humans were able to speak.

Nope.. People in the ancient world married young and started families.. The great ages attribute to the patriarchs are an error in counting years versus counting sheaves of grain.. To live to be 90 was a great old age.

Insofar as Adam and Eve go, the inclusion of Lilith fills in some gaps. In folklore, and other faiths, after Adam, it's said G-d made Lilith in the same fashion as Adam (as opposed to from Adam himself.) But being his equal, she refused to submit to him for sex so she rebelled. The stories go on to say she set up home somewhere where she pursued sexual liasons with other people. So this suggests there were other people though Genesis itself doesn't mention them. Better detailed account available here if so inclined:

Lilith

Without learning about extant religions paralelling Judaism (when Genesis were being written) Judaism on its own wont make much sense. Once you realize the world was populated by then and not limited to people around the Mediterranean area, things make a lot more sense.

Nope.. People in the ancient world married young and started families.. The great ages attribute to the patriarchs are an error in counting years versus counting sheaves of grain.. To live to be 90 was a great old age.

According to you.

Not according to the bible.

Moses was about 40 years old when he saw the Egyptian beating a Hebrew slave...and older than that when he married (the first time. That wife and their two children died..then he married AGAIN and had more children.)

Can you read Hebrew?

Serpent cults existed from the Indus Valley to Egypt, the Levant and Mesopotamia .. even the Arabian Peninsula long before the Genesis story.

The snake was perceived as a symbol of fertility, wisdom and reincarnation (or life restored) because they could observe it shedding its skin..

Look at the headgear of the Pharaohs .. its a cobra.

Exactly. and the pharaoh passed himself as a manifestation of the divine. It is no small coincidence that the pharaoh could also talk.

Also the term used ' God breathed the breath of life into the nostrils of Adam which made him a living being is Atenism in origin as it was the Aten that breathed the breath of life into the nostrils of believers for them to receive the Ankh, the key to life..

Insofar as Adam and Eve go, the inclusion of Lilith fills in some gaps. In folklore, and other faiths, after Adam, it's said G-d made Lilith in the same fashion as Adam (as opposed to from Adam himself.) But being his equal, she refused to submit to him for sex so she rebelled. The stories go on to say she set up home somewhere where she pursued sexual liasons with other people. So this suggests there were other people though Genesis itself doesn't mention them. Better detailed account available here if so inclined:

Lilith

Without learning about extant religions paralelling Judaism (when Genesis were being written) Judaism on its own wont make much sense. Once you realize the world was populated by then and not limited to people around the Mediterranean area, things make a lot more sense.

Drash is warm and fuzzy but I prefer to stick to the text.
The questions are why God had to name Light "Day" and Dark "Night".
This is presuming that Yome at that point in time meant "Day" and Layla meant "Night".

Can you read Hebrew?

If you have a point, just make it. PS..all the ancient texts weren't written in "Hebrew"...they were written in Ancient Hebrew, Aramaic, and Ancient Greek.

Last edited:

According to you.

Not according to the bible.

Moses was about 40 years old when he saw the Egyptian beating a Hebrew slave...and older than that when he married (the first time. That wife and their two children died..then he married AGAIN and had more children.)

Not trying to be snarky here but the Torah states, "He became Gah-Dole (Big? Great?", right before he kills the Egyptian, it doesn't state an age.

Forum List

Back