The Birfer State Law Tracking Thread

So Obama wont win in a landslide in 2012? Uh oh. Now we are seriously in trouble. lol

Dram on haters. Here is how this is going to go down. This burfer crap will die out and of course Obama will win in 2012. OF COUSE HE WILL WIN IN 2012...in case you missed it.

When you say no longer a birfer bill does it still deal with proof of citizenship?

It is no longer a birfer bill IMO if a short-form birth certificate will do.

All fluff and no substance. What is the need of doing this if they are not going to require the long form? This is starting to make the Kennedy killing look like a weekend picnic. It smell like shit all the way to the top and the states are supporting it.

So Obama wont win in a landslide in 2012? Uh oh. Now we are seriously in trouble. lol

Dram on haters. Here is how this is going to go down. This burfer crap will die out and of course Obama will win in 2012. OF COUSE HE WILL WIN IN 2012...in case you missed it.

It's way too early to say who will win in 2012. However, Intrade have the odds of Obama being re-elected at 60%.

The Arizona Senate has passed a birfer bill! It now must pass the House and be signed by the governor.

Arizona Senate approves 'birther' bill

So let's review.

* Arizona - Two bills died in committee but passed through the Senate committee as a strike-everything bill. Bill has passed the Arizona Senate and will be voted on in the House.
* Arkansas - Died in committee
* Connecticut - Died in committee
* Georgia - Died in committee.
* Hawaii - Died in committee. Not really a birfer bill. Clever Hawaii legislators were trying to profit from the birfer nonsense by charging people $100 for birth certificate requests.
* New Hampshire - Died in committee.
* Indiana - Died in committee.
* Iowa - Died in committee. Can be carried over into next year. Doesn't appear to really be a birfer bill.
* Maine - Not really a birfer bill.
* Missouri - Still alive but effectively no longer a birfer bill. The governor is a Democrat.
* Montana - Died in committee.
* Nebraska - Died in committee.
* Oklahoma - A bill passed in the Senate but no longer a birfer bill.
* Tennessee - House bill died in committee.
* Texas - Still alive.

The Arizona birfer bill states that if you don't have a long-form birth certificate, a short-form birth certificate won't do but a certificate of circumcision will.

EDITED - I had posted the wrong link. Here is the bill.

1. A certified copy of the presidential candidate's long form birth certificate that includes at least the date and place of birth, the names of the hospital and the attending physician, if applicable, and signatures of any witnesses in attendance. If the candidate does not possess a long form birth certificate as required by this paragraph, the candidate may attach two or more of the following documents that shall take the place of the long form birth certificate if the candidate swears to their authenticity and validity and the documents contain enough information for the secretary of state to determine if the candidate meets the requirements prescribed in article II, section 1, constitution of the United States:

(a) Early baptismal or circumcision certificate.

(b) Hospital birth record.

(c) Postpartum medical record for the mother or child signed by the doctor or midwife or the person who delivered or examined the child after birth.

(d) Early census record.

http://www.azleg.gov//FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/legtext/50leg/1r/bills/hb2177s.htm&Session_ID=102

Note it doesn't say "other documentary evidence created shortly after birth," as I had put originally. My mistake. Sorry.

Thanks to World Watcher.

More here.

Arizona's Senate-Approved Birther Bill Could Force Presidential Candidates to Provide Documentation Describing What Their Penis Looks Like to Get on Ballot - Phoenix News - Valley Fever

Last edited:
The Arizona birfer bill states that if you don't have a long-form birth certificate, a short-form birth certificate won't do but a certificate of circumcision will.

Subpart C—Evidence of U.S. Citizenship or Nationality

(a) Primary evidence of birth in the United States. A person born in the United States generally must submit a birth certificate. The birth certificate must show the full name of the applicant, the applicant's place and date of birth, the full name of the parent(s), and must be signed by the official custodian of birth records, bear the seal of the issuing office, and show a filing date within one year of the date of birth.

(b) Secondary evidence of birth in the United States. If the applicant cannot submit a birth certificate that meets the requirement of paragraph (a) of this section, he or she must submit secondary evidence sufficient to establish to the satisfaction of the Department that he or she was born in the United States. Secondary evidence includes but is not limited to hospital birth certificates, baptismal certificates, medical and school records, certificates of circumcision, other documentary evidence created shortly after birth but generally not more than 5 years after birth, and/or affidavits of persons having personal knowledge of the facts of the birth.

Electronic Code of Federal Regulations:

More here.

Arizona's Senate-Approved Birther Bill Could Force Presidential Candidates to Provide Documentation Describing What Their Penis Looks Like to Get on Ballot - Phoenix News - Valley Fever

What the hell is in the water in Arizona? They recently passed a law that allows students to carry guns on campus. Oh goodie. Now they want to do gender testing as evidence of citizenship? I guess Jews never relocate to Arizona anymore, or so they think. My brother wasn't circumcized until he was 13. What if he was born in Kenya? Would his circumcision record override any evidence of that?

Thomas Frank, who wrote the book "What's the Matter With Kansas?" needs to write another one: "What's the Matter With Arizona?"

The Arizona House has passed the birfer bill!

The Arizona Legislature has become the first in the nation to pass a measure requiring presidential candidates to provide proof of citizenship in order to get on the state's ballot.

House Bill 2177 got final approval Thursday night from the House. It will be transmitted to Gov. Jan Brewer, who will then have five days to sign it, veto it or do nothing and allow it to become law.

If Brewer chooses to veto the bill, Republican lawmakers could attempt an override vote. The bill would become law if two-thirds of legislators supported the override.

"It's essential that we bring back the integrity to the office," Rep. Judy Burges, R-Skull Valley, said during a recent debate on one of the so-called "birther" measures.

HB 2177, sponsored by Rep. Carl Seel, R-Phoenix, would require presidential and vice presidential candidates to provide the Arizona secretary of state with documents proving they are natural-born citizens.

Those documents can be either a long-form birth certificate or two or more other permitted documents, including an early baptismal certificate, circumcision certificate, hospital birth record, postpartum medical record signed by the person who delivered the child or an early census record.

Arizona lawmakers OK requiring proof of citizenship to run for president

However, Governor Brewer may veto it.

Gov. Jan Brewer hinted Friday she might veto legislation designed to give the Arizona secretary of state the final say of who gets to run for president here.

Brewer told Capitol Media Services she is still reviewing the measure given final approval late Thursday, which spells out what documents have to be presented by political parties to get their candidate on the ballot. The legislation requires the secretary of state, as chief elections officer, to deny ballot status to those who do not submit the required paperwork.

Backers, led by Rep. Carl Seel, R-Phoenix, say they are just trying to protect the integrity of the electoral process. But Brewer, who was secretary of state for six years before becoming governor, said the wishes of the state legislators who support the measure may be irrelevant.

“I think my big concern probably, just shooting a little bit from the hip, is the fact that I don’t know if we regulate federal elections,’’ she said.

Seel conceded he is doing something no other state has tried. And he said there are court rulings that could be interpreted to conclude that his measure gives “too much authority to the secretary of state.’’

“But we’ll let the courts decide that,’’ he said, anticipating the likely legal challenge. ...

Brewer would not directly answer the question of whether she believes Obama was born in the United States. But she said there is evidence to believe he is.

“It’s been stated by the governor (of Hawaii), Linda Lingle, who I spoke with directly, that he was born in Hawaii,’’ she said.

Brewer hints she may veto Arizona's 'birther' bill - East Valley Tribune: Politics

If she vetoes it, she will likely do so believing that the bill is unconstitutional. She wouldn't be the only one. Her Secretary of State thinks it may be.

what worries Ken Bennett, the current secretary of state, is that he also would have to be furnished "an original long form birth certificate that includes the date and place of birth, the names of the hospital and the attending physician and signatures of the witnesses in attendance.'' Without that, he said, the measure would bar him from including the candidate's name on the ballot.

"I don't know that's on MY birth certificate, for goodness sakes'' said Bennett, who was born in Tucson.

Potentially more problematic, he said, is that each state has its own system of recording births. And Bennett, who is a Republican like all of the measure's 41 sponsors, is not sure that its even possible to get an "original'' birth certificate.

For example, he said, people seeking birth certificates from many states, often for passports or other documentation, are instead furnished with a "certificate of live birth.'' That usually takes the form of a state official certifying, under oath, that there are documents on file proving a specific person was born on a specified date.

That's not all, Bennett said, pointing to the requirement for the birth certificate to have the names of the attending physician and the signatures of witnesses.

"If you were delivered at home with a midwife, does that mean you are no longer qualified to be the president of the United States?'' he asked. "If there aren't any signatures of witnesses in attendance, you're no longer qualified?''

And what, exactly, is a "long form birth certificate,'' he asked.

"Is that a standard term of art that means the same thing in all 50 states?'' Bennett continued. "And is it even available in all 50 states?'' ...

Officials in Hawaii released a short-form version of the birth certificate when the issue first arose before the 2008 election.

When that failed to satisfy critics, Dr. Chiyome Fukino, the state's health director, issued a statement saying he has "seen the original vital records maintained on file by the Hawaii State Department of Health verifying Barack Hussein Obama was born in Hawaii and is a natural-born American citizen.''

Bennett seems satisfied.

"I think he was born in Hawaii,'' he said. "I personally believe he is a U.S. citizen.''

Arizona's presidential citizenship bill worries Bennett - East Valley Tribune: Politics

As does at least one constitutional scholar.

“It wouldn’t hold up for a nanosecond,” said Laurence Tribe, a professor at Harvard Law School and one of the nation’s leading constitutional scholars who has worked for the Justice Department under President Obama. “I’m not even sure if it’s intended seriously.” ...

Legally, national political parties have the right to put forth presidential candidates, and many view Arizona's legislation as a classic example of a state's attempt to encroach on federal power.

“It’s an interference with federal supremacy. It’s not up for a state to decide who is qualified to run for president,” said Tribe. ...

Political commentators expect that if Gov. Jan Brewer allows the law to take effect, the courts will immediately challenge it.

“I think this is going to go on a rapid trip up the Appeals ladder,” said Richard Parker, a public policy lecturer at the Harvard Kennedy School of Government. “I don’t think the Justice Department is going to let this sit idly by. It’s way too off-the-rails.”

Which raises the question: Why bother with legislation that is practically begging for a costly lawsuit -- especially in a state like Arizona, where lawmakers have been grappling with a budget deficit so extreme that Gov. Jan Brewer proposed to eliminate health insurance for more than 160,000 of the poorest and sickest Arizonans just two weeks ago.

Frustrated Arizona Democrats say the bill is just one more attempt to placate the state’s radical right-wing conservatives at the expense of serious legislative action.

“It’s particularly targeted to appease conspiracy theorists and to target one president,” said state Rep. Ruben Gallego (D), who did not support the bill. “This is absolutely not a good allocation of resources, our time and our emotions.”

Arizona Birther Bill Is Unconstitutional, Legal Scholars Say

The Arizona Legislature has become the first in the nation to pass a measure requiring presidential candidates to provide proof of citizenship in order to get on the state's ballot.

House Bill 2177 got final approval Thursday night from the House. It will be transmitted to Gov. Jan Brewer, who will then have five days to sign it, veto it or do nothing and allow it to become law.

If Brewer chooses to veto the bill, Republican lawmakers could attempt an override vote. The bill would become law if two-thirds of legislators supported the override.

"It's essential that we bring back the integrity to the office," Rep. Judy Burges, R-Skull Valley, said during a recent debate on one of the so-called "birther" measures.

HB 2177, sponsored by Rep. Carl Seel, R-Phoenix, would require presidential and vice presidential candidates to provide the Arizona secretary of state with documents proving they are natural-born citizens.

Those documents can be either a long-form birth certificate or two or more other permitted documents, including an early baptismal certificate, circumcision certificate, hospital birth record, postpartum medical record signed by the person who delivered the child or an early census record.

Gov. Jan Brewer hinted Friday she might veto legislation designed to give the Arizona secretary of state the final say of who gets to run for president here.

Brewer told Capitol Media Services she is still reviewing the measure given final approval late Thursday, which spells out what documents have to be presented by political parties to get their candidate on the ballot. The legislation requires the secretary of state, as chief elections officer, to deny ballot status to those who do not submit the required paperwork.

Backers, led by Rep. Carl Seel, R-Phoenix, say they are just trying to protect the integrity of the electoral process. But Brewer, who was secretary of state for six years before becoming governor, said the wishes of the state legislators who support the measure may be irrelevant.

“I think my big concern probably, just shooting a little bit from the hip, is the fact that I don’t know if we regulate federal elections,’’ she said.

Seel conceded he is doing something no other state has tried. And he said there are court rulings that could be interpreted to conclude that his measure gives “too much authority to the secretary of state.’’

“But we’ll let the courts decide that,’’ he said, anticipating the likely legal challenge. ...

Brewer would not directly answer the question of whether she believes Obama was born in the United States. But she said there is evidence to believe he is.

“It’s been stated by the governor (of Hawaii), Linda Lingle, who I spoke with directly, that he was born in Hawaii,’’ she said.

Brewer hints she may veto Arizona's 'birther' bill - East Valley Tribune: Politics

If she vetoes it, she will likely do so believing that the bill is unconstitutional. She wouldn't be the only one. Her Secretary of State thinks it may be.

what worries Ken Bennett, the current secretary of state, is that he also would have to be furnished "an original long form birth certificate that includes the date and place of birth, the names of the hospital and the attending physician and signatures of the witnesses in attendance.'' Without that, he said, the measure would bar him from including the candidate's name on the ballot.

"I don't know that's on MY birth certificate, for goodness sakes'' said Bennett, who was born in Tucson.

Potentially more problematic, he said, is that each state has its own system of recording births. And Bennett, who is a Republican like all of the measure's 41 sponsors, is not sure that its even possible to get an "original'' birth certificate.

For example, he said, people seeking birth certificates from many states, often for passports or other documentation, are instead furnished with a "certificate of live birth.'' That usually takes the form of a state official certifying, under oath, that there are documents on file proving a specific person was born on a specified date.

That's not all, Bennett said, pointing to the requirement for the birth certificate to have the names of the attending physician and the signatures of witnesses.

"If you were delivered at home with a midwife, does that mean you are no longer qualified to be the president of the United States?'' he asked. "If there aren't any signatures of witnesses in attendance, you're no longer qualified?''

And what, exactly, is a "long form birth certificate,'' he asked.

"Is that a standard term of art that means the same thing in all 50 states?'' Bennett continued. "And is it even available in all 50 states?'' ...

Officials in Hawaii released a short-form version of the birth certificate when the issue first arose before the 2008 election.

When that failed to satisfy critics, Dr. Chiyome Fukino, the state's health director, issued a statement saying he has "seen the original vital records maintained on file by the Hawaii State Department of Health verifying Barack Hussein Obama was born in Hawaii and is a natural-born American citizen.''

Bennett seems satisfied.

"I think he was born in Hawaii,'' he said. "I personally believe he is a U.S. citizen.''

Arizona's presidential citizenship bill worries Bennett - East Valley Tribune: Politics

“It wouldn’t hold up for a nanosecond,” said Laurence Tribe, a professor at Harvard Law School and one of the nation’s leading constitutional scholars who has worked for the Justice Department under President Obama. “I’m not even sure if it’s intended seriously.” ...

Legally, national political parties have the right to put forth presidential candidates, and many view Arizona's legislation as a classic example of a state's attempt to encroach on federal power.

“It’s an interference with federal supremacy. It’s not up for a state to decide who is qualified to run for president,” said Tribe. ...

Political commentators expect that if Gov. Jan Brewer allows the law to take effect, the courts will immediately challenge it.

“I think this is going to go on a rapid trip up the Appeals ladder,” said Richard Parker, a public policy lecturer at the Harvard Kennedy School of Government. “I don’t think the Justice Department is going to let this sit idly by. It’s way too off-the-rails.”

Which raises the question: Why bother with legislation that is practically begging for a costly lawsuit -- especially in a state like Arizona, where lawmakers have been grappling with a budget deficit so extreme that Gov. Jan Brewer proposed to eliminate health insurance for more than 160,000 of the poorest and sickest Arizonans just two weeks ago.

Frustrated Arizona Democrats say the bill is just one more attempt to placate the state’s radical right-wing conservatives at the expense of serious legislative action.

“It’s particularly targeted to appease conspiracy theorists and to target one president,” said state Rep. Ruben Gallego (D), who did not support the bill. “This is absolutely not a good allocation of resources, our time and our emotions.”

Surely you can use another source other than huffy puffy?

I did. What's the matter with you?

Pssst - None of the three links for the sourced material go to the huffy puffy.

>>>>>

Pssst - None of the three links for the sourced material go to the huffy puffy.

>>>>>

The last link he used does

I stand corrected for that post as I missed the one at the botton and didn't see it until later.

However that does not excuse your post where you imply all were "huffy puffy" posts which would be incorrect as 3 of 4 were not.

>>>>

Did I say all the links were from huffy puffy?

Did you question the information as coming from huffy puffy without acknowledging that most of the links were to other news sources?

Yes you did.

>>>>

I stand corrected for that post as I missed the one at the botton and didn't see it until later.

However that does not excuse your post where you imply all were "huffy puffy" posts which would be incorrect as 3 of 4 were not.

>>>>

Did I say all the links were from huffy puffy?

Did you question the information as coming from huffy puffy without acknowledging that most of the links were to other news sources?

Yes you did.

>>>>

I mentioned huffy puffy because it was the first link I clicked on.

>>>>

Next time, use a link from WND or NewsMax, would ya? These guys only speak Birferese.

Maybe before you post about a specific comment you should read a little further in the thread and see the retort from the individuals involved in the discussion. I did not identify all the links as huffy puffy, I dentified the last link which is the first link I clicked on as huffy puffy.

Looks like Louisiana wants to join the party.

A pair of Republican state lawmakers have filed legislation to require future presidential candidates to prove their U.S. citizenship by providing "an original or certified copy" of their birth certificate in order to qualify for the Louisiana ballot.

House Bill 561 by Rep. Alan Seabaugh, R-Shreveport, appears to be the latest attempt to capitalize on the widely discredited theory, popular in some conservative circles, that President Barack Obama was not born on American soil.

The bill, co-sponsored by state Sen. A.G. Crowe, R-Slidell, would require candidates who want to appear on presidential primary or general election ballots to include an affidavit attesting to the candidate's citizenship that would be accompanied by a birth certificate "that includes the date and place of birth, the names of the hospital and the attending physician, and signatures of the witnesses in attendance."

Seabaugh's bill will be debated during the two-month regular session that gets underway April 25.

Presidential candidates would have to show birth certificates under Louisiana proposal | NOLA.com

* Arizona - Two bills died in committee but passed through the Senate committee as a strike-everything bill. Bill has passed the Arizona Senate and will be voted on in the House.
* Arkansas - Died in committee
* Connecticut - Died in committee
* Georgia - Died in committee.
* Hawaii - Died in committee. Not really a birfer bill. Clever Hawaii legislators were trying to profit from the birfer nonsense by charging people $100 for birth certificate requests.
* Louisiana - Bill to be introduced in the upcoming session.
* New Hampshire - Died in committee.
* Indiana - Died in committee.
* Iowa - Died in committee. Can be carried over into next year. Doesn't appear to really be a birfer bill.
* Maine - Not really a birfer bill.
* Missouri - Still alive but effectively no longer a birfer bill. The governor is a Democrat.
* Montana - Died in committee.
* Nebraska - Died in committee.
* Oklahoma - A bill passed in the Senate but no longer a birfer bill.
* Tennessee - House bill died in committee.
* Texas - Still alive.

Forum List

Back