The Cappucino Corral

Hiya!

Every once in a while.....a plan just doesn't materialize.

My lovely and talented wife is working a pair of 12 hour shifts this weekend. So....it was supposed to be a great opportunity to get all the books in order for year end. Early...for a change.

Well....I was on track. Up early......made us a nice breakfast....and saw my love off for the day. Washed the car and then went to the PO box to pick up the mail.

Pulled into the driveway and noticed that one of our trees had grown to become entangled in the electrical wires that feed the house. MOTHERF......ER!

A few hours later.........that tree looked like a sapling. And....there was some collateral damage. Several other trees also got a haircut. Good news! I still have all of my fingers!

Not a moment of paperwork done!

Showered....spent some time annoying USMB nutters......and was ready get to work...when my son sent me a text asking me if I had ever watched "Archer". I hadn't.

I checked it out. I am now an Archer addict. Damn you Netflix!

So...here I am...almost 6pm and two martini's deep. Wondering how I'm going to prep dinner before my hungry wife gets home in 90 minutes.

Weeeeeeee!

I heard that Pogo has a cat who is not doing very well.

Anyone know anything more than that?

Pogo - come tell us how your cat is.
The last I heard was that he had gotten up a tree again.....and wouldn't come down.

"But the cat came back -- he just couldn't stay a-way..." :D

Hobbes is fine, all. Got him down last Wednesday.

The action scene:
After trying to entice him down, scare him down by throwing things and shaking/banging on the tree, and then contacting the Sheriff's office, the fire department, fire and rescue, the utilities, the animal shelter, the newspaper, and a local company that actually makes cherry-pickers in search of somebody with the equipment to go up there, nobody had any (the electric company does but wouldn't do it). Also called a construction worker friend and every tree service in the book (no answer from any) but finally a tree service from another town agreed to make the trip. They drove up and got the bucket truck in place and started to set up the anchor legs...

Wellsir, this created a lot of big-truck motor noise, and that and all the activity spooked the cat, he jumped, lost his balance in his fatigue (six days he was up there) and started to free-fall. Then he caught his balance as cats always do and started to run -- straight down. This cat that had been so terrified of the ground being fifty feet away was now running toward it at full tilt. When he reached the bottom he just did a quick right-angle from the vertical to the horizontal and darted up the hill toward the woods. No impact, no injury. I was concerned in his freak-out moment he would run up another tree, but he didn't --- he had stopped in a clearing and just sat there. I think he completely ran out of gas by then. So I picked him up, got him inside and gave him a nice (small) meal and a place to rest. Since then he's been mostly eating frequently and sleeping, but he's OK.

So long story short -- I went to a lot of trouble to bring a truck in from out of town and all I needed was sound effects. :lol:

Thanks for everybody's concern. I got pretty spooked the other day when he was still up there and I called his name and woke him up with a start. The idea that he had been sleeping on a thin branch and might fall over was pretty worrisome. Glad it's over.

How many lives does Hobbes have left now? :D

Well this was his fifth tree so I make it four left. Over the hill!

Coat the trees with water after it gets below freezing Pogo. Hobbes, there are better ways to go on a diet.

I heard that Pogo has a cat who is not doing very well.

Anyone know anything more than that?

Pogo - come tell us how your cat is.
The last I heard was that he had gotten up a tree again.....and wouldn't come down.

"But the cat came back -- he just couldn't stay a-way..." :D

Hobbes is fine, all. Got him down last Wednesday.

The action scene:
After trying to entice him down, scare him down by throwing things and shaking/banging on the tree, and then contacting the Sheriff's office, the fire department, fire and rescue, the utilities, the animal shelter, the newspaper, and a local company that actually makes cherry-pickers in search of somebody with the equipment to go up there, nobody had any (the electric company does but wouldn't do it). Also called a construction worker friend and every tree service in the book (no answer from any) but finally a tree service from another town agreed to make the trip. They drove up and got the bucket truck in place and started to set up the anchor legs...

Wellsir, this created a lot of big-truck motor noise, and that and all the activity spooked the cat, he jumped, lost his balance in his fatigue (six days he was up there) and started to free-fall. Then he caught his balance as cats always do and started to run -- straight down. This cat that had been so terrified of the ground being fifty feet away was now running toward it at full tilt. When he reached the bottom he just did a quick right-angle from the vertical to the horizontal and darted up the hill toward the woods. No impact, no injury. I was concerned in his freak-out moment he would run up another tree, but he didn't --- he had stopped in a clearing and just sat there. I think he completely ran out of gas by then. So I picked him up, got him inside and gave him a nice (small) meal and a place to rest. Since then he's been mostly eating frequently and sleeping, but he's OK.

So long story short -- I went to a lot of trouble to bring a truck in from out of town and all I needed was sound effects. :lol:

Thanks for everybody's concern. I got pretty spooked the other day when he was still up there and I called his name and woke him up with a start. The idea that he had been sleeping on a thin branch and might fall over was pretty worrisome. Glad it's over.

That Hobbes needs a good spanking.....:D The little rascal, worrying you like that!

Hiya!

Every once in a while.....a plan just doesn't materialize.

My lovely and talented wife is working a pair of 12 hour shifts this weekend. So....it was supposed to be a great opportunity to get all the books in order for year end. Early...for a change.

Well....I was on track. Up early......made us a nice breakfast....and saw my love off for the day. Washed the car and then went to the PO box to pick up the mail.

Pulled into the driveway and noticed that one of our trees had grown to become entangled in the electrical wires that feed the house. MOTHERF......ER!

A few hours later.........that tree looked like a sapling. And....there was some collateral damage. Several other trees also got a haircut. Good news! I still have all of my fingers!

Not a moment of paperwork done!

Showered....spent some time annoying USMB nutters......and was ready get to work...when my son sent me a text asking me if I had ever watched "Archer". I hadn't.

I checked it out. I am now an Archer addict. Damn you Netflix!

So...here I am...almost 6pm and two martini's deep. Wondering how I'm going to prep dinner before my hungry wife gets home in 90 minutes.

Weeeeeeee!

Sounds like you had an interesting day. I spent the day bringing all my potted plants inside. I had to clean the pots on some of them since we had rain a few days ago, they were kinda muddy. I only have 3 left outside that I need to get drip pans for, and I will be done....I didn't realize I had so many plants in pots....I need to cut back instead of making new ones. But once they get so big, I end up pruning them and making more...I need to quit doing that.

Cats are quite sure they could drive if we would just let them.

They're probably right.

What do you mean they could drive if we let them? Mine do.........lol!

wnd_b7ed2b86999be41566681ae644f80927.jpg

"Hey, that driver in front of me just called me a pussy! Why, I am gonna steal his milk bowl!!!"

Maybe you were driving too slow?

I'm glad I decided to do the tree work yesterday. Woke up to cold rain this morning. I'm going to gain a few hours from cancelled baseball lessons. So...I might just get around to that paperwork.

As I went to grab the paper....there was a box of knives at my doorstep. The first of many. I'm the neighborhood holiday knife sharpener. My little contribution to community harmony. So.....I'll have another distraction.

Did a personal best of 32 laps in the pool today which is the equivalent of 1 mile. Got to admit that I am feeling that I have had a serious workout. Bizarre part of all this is that I appear to be putting on weight instead of losing it. Go figure! :dunno:

Don't despair.

Muscle is more dense than fat giving you the illusion that it weighs more.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.!

This day went so fast.....we're supposed to get really cold on Tuesday.....thank goodness I only have 3 pants left to bring inside. I don't know where I'm going to put them, most of the windows are taken already.......:eek:

Forum List

Back