The Collapsing American Middle Class

Just to head this deflection off; this is due to the leadership of BOTH parties being bought by the corporate crony network.

This is not a slam on Dems alone, but all the bastards that undermine our lives and economic future in DC by carrying corporate water for them.

The Bruised and Battered Middle Class

Likewise, California, Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas have the 10 areas with the highest share of lower-income earners. With the exception of New Mexico, all those states have favored either Republicans or Democrats in four straight presidential elections.

The metro regions with the highest percentage of middle-income households, though, are disproportionately located in swing states or states that the Trump campaign believes are ripe for the New York billionaire's economic message. Pennsylvania and Ohio each have one, and Wisconsin alone has four.

"That tells me the trends described in this report are going to benefit the more populist candidates," said Alan Tonelson, an economic policy analyst who is critical of U.S. trade policy. "That seems to me to translate into good news for Trump … [Clinton] doesn't have very deep roots as a trade policy critic."
This meme is utter bullshit. The middle class is better off than they were 20 years ago. Yes, the last 8 years have sucked due to the low growth that Dem policies produce. But otherwise this is just dog whistle.

Go on ..... explain.
Explain what? What part of any of that is unclear to you?

Just to head this deflection off; this is due to the leadership of BOTH parties being bought by the corporate crony network.

This is not a slam on Dems alone, but all the bastards that undermine our lives and economic future in DC by carrying corporate water for them.

Likewise, California, Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas have the 10 areas with the highest share of lower-income earners. With the exception of New Mexico, all those states have favored either Republicans or Democrats in four straight presidential elections.

The metro regions with the highest percentage of middle-income households, though, are disproportionately located in swing states or states that the Trump campaign believes are ripe for the New York billionaire's economic message. Pennsylvania and Ohio each have one, and Wisconsin alone has four.

"That tells me the trends described in this report are going to benefit the more populist candidates," said Alan Tonelson, an economic policy analyst who is critical of U.S. trade policy. "That seems to me to translate into good news for Trump … [Clinton] doesn't have very deep roots as a trade policy critic."
This meme is utter bullshit. The middle class is better off than they were 20 years ago. Yes, the last 8 years have sucked due to the low growth that Dem policies produce. But otherwise this is just dog whistle.

Go on ..... explain.

This:

It's a pronouncement, an opening line, go on, flesh it out, discuss and support the idea.

Go on ..... explain.

This:

It's a pronouncement, an opening line, go on, flesh it out, discuss and support the idea.
Here's another pronouncement: Go fuck yourself.
The support is there. The info is there. But Im not searching a dozen links to have you dismiss and deflect to defend whatever stupid ignorant point you think you're making.
Try to refute what I wrote. Post counter evidence. Then we can have a discussion.

Go on ..... explain.

This:

The support is there. The info is there. But Im not searching a dozen links to have you dismiss and deflect to defend whatever stupid ignorant point you think you're making.
Try to refute what I wrote. Post counter evidence. Then we can have a discussion.

Yeah, that's what I thought.

Go on ..... explain.

This:

If "this guy is too smart and too well informed for me to try to take him on" then you are correct in your thought. If you're just another smelly troll then get lost.

Go on ..... explain.

This:

If "this guy is too smart and too well informed for me to try to take him on" then you are correct in your thought. If you're just another smelly troll then get lost.

Have a lovely day.

The election of President Reagan in 1981 was when the foundation for the coffin was laid, and with the Supreme Court's decisions in Citizens United & McCutcheon v. FEC the final nail wwas manufactured to seal the coffin which holds our once democratic republic lying in repose.

Open your mind people and consider the ten points clearly and concisely expressed by Noam Chomsky in "Requiem for the American Dream"

https://s3.amazonaws.com/tribeca_cm...01/Requiem_Tribeca_Production_Notes_v3.19.pdf

and,

- PF PICTURES – REQUIEM FOR THE AMERICAN DREAM

The willfully ignorant will immediately dismiss the argument expressed in the film (which I watched on Netflix yesterday, btw). Mr. Chomsky has been reviled by our nations power elite, whose sole goal is to retain and expand their power and control over the many.

Last edited:

The election of President Reagan in 1981 was when the foundation for the coffin was laid, and with the Supreme Court's decisions in Citizens United & McCutcheon v. FEC the final nail wwas manufactured to seal the coffin which holds our once democratic republic lying in repose.

Open your mind people and consider the ten points clearly and concisely expressed by Noam Chomsky in "Requiem for the American Dream"

https://s3.amazonaws.com/tribeca_cm...01/Requiem_Tribeca_Production_Notes_v3.19.pdf

and,

The willfully ignorant will immediately dismiss the argument expressed in the film, which I watched on Netflix yesterday. For Mr. Chomsky has been reviled by our nations power elite, whose sole goal is to retain and expand the power and control over the many.
Libs get their information from movies and comic books. This accounts for much of what they believe.

Go on ..... explain.

This:

What planet are you on?

The Demise of the American Middle Class In Numbers.
Over the past 30 years the American dream has gradually disappeared. The process was slow, so most people didn’t notice. They just worked a few more hours, borrowed a little more and cut back on non-essentials. But looking at the numbers and comparing them over long time periods, it is obvious that things have changed drastically. Here are the details:
1. WORKERS PRODUCE MORE BUT THE GAINS GO TO BUSINESS.
Over the past 63 years worker productivity has grown by 2.0% per year.
But after 1980, workers received a smaller share every year. Labor’s share of income (1992 = 100%):
1950 = 101%
1960 = 105%
1970 = 105%
1980 = 105% – Reagan
1990 = 100%
2000 = 96%
2007 = 92%
A 13% drop since 1980
2. THE TOP 10% GET A LARGER SHARE.

Share of National Income going to Top 10%:
1950 = 35%
1960 = 34%
1970 = 34%
1980 = 34% – Reagan
1990 = 40%
2000 = 47%
2007 = 50%
An increase of 16% since Reagan.
3. WORKERS COMPENSATED FOR THE LOSS OF INCOME BY SPENDING THEIR SAVINGS.

The savings Rose up to Reagan and fell during and after.
1950 = 6.0%
1960 = 7.0%
1970 = 8.5%
1980 = 10.0% – Reagan
1982 = 11.2% – Peak
1990 = 7.0%
2000 = 2.0%
2006 = -1.1% (Negative = withdrawing from savings)
A 12.3% drop after Reagan.
4. WORKERS ALSO BORROWED TO MAKE UP FOR THE LOSS.

Household Debt as percentage of GDP:
1965 = 46%
1970 = 45%
1980 = 50% – Reagan
1990 = 61%
2000 = 69%
2007 = 95%
A 45% increase after 1980.
5. SO THE GAP BETWEEN THE RICHEST AND THE POOREST HAS GROWN.
Gap Between the Share of Capital Income earned by the top 1%
and the bottom 80%:
1980 = 10%
2003 = 56%
A 5.6 times increase.
6. AND THE AMERICAN DREAM IS GONE.

The Probably of Moving Up from the Bottom 40% to the Top 40%:
1945 = 12%
1958 = 6%
1990 = 3%
2000 = 2%
A 10% Decrease.
Links:
1 = ftp://ftp.bls.gov/pub/special.requests/pf/totalf1.txt
1 = https://www.clevelandfed.org/Research/PolicyDis/No7Nov04.pdf
1 = http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Zh1bveXc8rA/SuddUhLWUaI/AAAAAAAAA7M/iU2gefk317M/s1600-h/Clipboard01.jpg
2 – http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/blog/09/04/27/CongratulationstoEmmanuelSaez/
3 = http://www.demos.org/inequality/images/charts/uspersonalsaving_thumb.gif
3 = http://www.bea.gov/national/nipaweb/TableView.asp?SelectedTable=58&Freq=Qtr&FirstYear=2008&LastYear=2010
4 = http://www.prudentbear.com/index.php/household-sector-debt-of-gdp
4 = http://www.federalreserve.gov/releases/z1/current/
5/6 = http://www.businessinsider.com/15-charts-about-wealth-and-inequality-in-america-2010-4?slop=1#slideshow-start
Overview = http://www.ourfuture.org/blog-entry/2010062415/reagan-revolution-home-roost-charts

and,

The willfully ignorant will immediately dismiss the argument expressed in the film, which I watched on Netflix yesterday. For Mr. Chomsky has been reviled by our nations power elite, whose sole goal is to retain and expand the power and control over the many.

Libs get their information from movies and comic books. This accounts for much of what they believe.

What accounts for the state of american society is this perceptual reality displayed right here, by you. I can either brand you "lib" or "con" and then reject everything you have to say based upon the label I just assigend.

and,

The willfully ignorant will immediately dismiss the argument expressed in the film (which I watched on Netflix yesterday, btw). Mr. Chomsky has been reviled by our nations power elite, whose sole goal is to retain and expand their power and control over the many.

There it is, Chomsky and Chris Hedges have been all over this for a while. John Trudell was another voice of clarity before he passed recently. What the power structure fears most is a clear coherent human being.

and,

What accounts for the state of american society is this perceptual reality displayed right here, by you. I can either brand you "lib" or "con" and then reject everything you have to say based upon the label I just assigend.
I brand you incapable of rational discussion and leave it at that.

.[/QUOTE]

What accounts for the state of american society is this perceptual reality displayed right here, by you. I can either brand you "lib" or "con" and then reject everything you have to say based upon the label I just assigend.[/QUOTE]

Fentom Lum,

Part of the problem is there are a number of posters who have no idea what neoliberalism is. The best answer I've found is neoliberals share a belief that the sole justification for government ruling the actions of private individuals (or other nations) is to allow the most individual actors to participate in transparent markets as is possible.

Communism obviously is pretty much directly opposite, which explains much of Thatcher and Reagan

Hillary Clinton may not be a strict neoliberal, but she is at her core a corporatist. Even her initial foray into health care reform centered on corporations managing care.

The problem that you highlighted with the demise of the middle class and neoliberalism is that if neoliberal principles are purely applied, the price of labor would fall the lowest amount an employer need pay anyone to do a job well enough for the employer to make profit.

In practice, that's the Wal-Mart biz model. Wal-Mart managers test a product, say 16 oz packages of goatcheese. Assuming customers really like the product, Wal-Mart will continue selling it. Their buyers then go a competitor of the supplier and say "I will buy 110% of your goat cheese and price that is 10% less than I pay now." And they repeat that over and over again until one of two things happens. 1) customers fall out of love with goatcheese, or 2) no supplier can fill Wal-Mart's demand for lower cost.

Thus, for someone selling a product, whether its Wal-Mart selling goat cheese or a supplier selling goatcheese to Wal-Mart, the markets are in a race to the lowest price.

and,

Like I said, have a nice day.

and,

Like I said, have a nice day.

Rabbi lives in a virtual reality with no color or shades.

What accounts for the state of american society is this perceptual reality displayed right here, by you. I can either brand you "lib" or "con" and then reject everything you have to say based upon the label I just assigend.[/QUOTE]

Fentom Lum,

Part of the problem is there are a number of posters who have no idea what neoliberalism is. The best answer I've found is neoliberals share a belief that the sole justification for government ruling the actions of private individuals (or other nations) is to allow the most individual actors to participate in transparent markets as is possible.

Communism obviously is pretty much directly opposite, which explains much of Thatcher and Reagan

Hillary Clinton may not be a strict neoliberal, but she is at her core a corporatist. Even her initial foray into health care reform centered on corporations managing care.

The problem that you highlighted with the demise of the middle class and neoliberalism is that if neoliberal principles are purely applied, the price of labor would fall the lowest amount an employer need pay anyone to do a job well enough for the employer to make profit.

In practice, that's the Wal-Mart biz model. Wal-Mart managers test a product, say 16 oz packages of goatcheese. Assuming customers really like the product, Wal-Mart will continue selling it. Their buyers then go a competitor of the supplier and say "I will buy 110% of your goat cheese and price that is 10% less than I pay now." And they repeat that over and over again until one of two things happens. 1) customers fall out of love with goatcheese, or 2) no supplier can fill Wal-Mart's demand for lower cost.

Thus, for someone selling a product, whether its Wal-Mart selling goat cheese or a supplier selling goatcheese to Wal-Mart, the markets are in a race to the lowest price.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'd go along with Hillary Clinton's a corporatist. So is america at the moment. Not sure I agree with your definition of neoliberalism but I do not believe neoliberalism's been good for america anymore than neoconservatism has been.

Forum List

Back