The Cosmos

Hilarious to listen to people who worship a CO2 molecule deriding religion.

Yes I worship science, truth and logic. I also worship the universe and our sun because they are real and give us all life. The universe is god. If you want to worship it great! Just don't tell me it visited you and told you 10 things not to do.

Yeah, and he must have invented radio active isotopes, a basis for measuring the age of the earth, radio telescopes and spectrometry that helped us determine the age of universe, DNA which helps us understand evolution. He's been a pretty busy guy.

Religious beliefs are typically based on faith. Most religious folks believe that, through revelation, God has taught them absolute truth. Any compromise with the beliefs of scientists would require them to reject their own religious beliefs. Very few are willing to do that. Thus there will always be a conflict between science and religion. In religion, we are taught to accept based on faith. In science, we are taught to accept nothing based on faith.
I TOLD you, the earth was CEREATED OLD!!

Repent Flopper repent!!!!
Being a Doubting Thomas, I'm doomed.

Acceptance is the first step flopper!!! :rofl:

Is faking it ok? I want to go to heaven but I just can't believe Mary was a virgin. I think men made that up long after Jesus supposedly came and went. NOTHING you or any church can change my mind. No offense to Jesus or God if they exist. It is you and your corrupt church I don't believe. Why would god make the test that I have to believe you and your lying church? And notice the Muslims in the Middle East are told a completely different lie and like your lie if they don't believe they will be killed. You think you are nicer then Muslims because you don't kill non believers. You just send them to hell to burn for eternity. You are sicker and meaner than them. Anyways, when you realize how and why you reject all the other religions, you'll realize why I reject yours. If you were born in Iraq you'd be a Muslim.
Chill out bro

Religion is mans only hope, atheist science is mans downfall

Next time you get sick do not go seek out a scientist in a hospital. Go to your church.

Pray that god cures alzheimers and cancer. But realize you are wasting your time. Better to pray to the scientists. And send your money to them so they can do research to cure you of the cancer. God won't.
I have never been to a hospital.
I do pray for healing and The Lord provides it to the faithful.
That's enough "proof" for faith for me.
Ps stop trying to disprove God exists with science. Falseness can not prove truth

You actually sound insane to me. People like you are why they've been able to hold us back for thousands of years. You'd be the first one to want to burn a witch in the 1400's you dumb son of a bitch. All for nothing because God doesn't exist. Just because your church, the one you happened to be born in to or the one who happened to find you at the right time and convert you says so? We all know how corrupt the history of "the churches" is. Just look at the crazy Muslims who were born into the god of Islam. You are no different than them. Actually you are more pathetic because in the West there is no excuse for being this dumb.

But I understand a lot of good and smart people also believe in "god". Mostly people believe in god because they can't believe any other way or they want to believe. But most people in America if you ask them if they're a Christian they'll say they are "spiritual" or "I was raised in a Christian home". Why is your religion losing so many faithful followers? I say its too unbelievable to believe today with all the information we have at our fingertips. You'll say Satan did it. But that's how dumb you are. And most Christians are cherry picking liberals. Even gays are Christians. Why? THey want to go to heaven and not hell too. You don't own god. You just insist your version of him is real and others is not. Dummy.
You are the insane idiot atheist.

God existence is obvious and easily seen by his creatures, so that all shall have no excuse for not believing in Him during the Day of Judgment.

If god(s) existence were obvious the greatest minds in the world wouldn't question it.

Why not more than one god? That's what we thought for hundreds of thousands of years before we finally settled on the 1 god concept. What evidence did we use to decide there is only 1 god?

If you were born back in ancient Greece you'd believe in multiple gods. Would you be right? Multiple gods seemed obvious to them. You could look up in the sky and see millions of gods (stars). Little did they know those were just other suns and they are so far away we just can't see that life is all over the universe. So instead superstitious/ignorant/primitive man decided we were all there was. Special. And the sun and cosmos revolved around us. We were wrong again.

Doesn't seem to matter how much we are wrong about god. Still doesn't prove god doesn't exist, right? But tell us this. Why is he hiding? And please don't use any of the stuff you read in the bible. If you do, also show me what every other 999 former and prior religions say. Doesn't matter what they say because they didn't use science to figure it out. If they did, show me the science.
God existence is obvious to the very best minds ever born, minds that constantly seek for absolute truth.

You're blind.

I think the belief in a higher power is not incompatible with science. Now religion is something else entirely.

Why is it hiding?
Belief in a god is a matter of faith, not science so you can't prove or disprove it which is why I never waste my time in such debate.

Well if religion wants to pass laws based on this unseen character, don't you think they should be required to prove its existence before they tell us that "he" doesn't like gay marriage, abortion or stem cell research?

He also doesn't like murder, theft, or drunkenness. Guess we can't have laws against those.

Doesn't secular America have non religious laws to deal with those things?

Anyways, you missed the point. I'm just trying to explain to that other person why they shouldn't be allowed to say, "you just gotta have faith my big guy exists" and then try to pass laws that the big guy doesn't like.

We humans don't like murder or theft. No god needed. Your god is not necessary.

So it's only unpopular laws we shouldn't pass?

Next time you get sick do not go seek out a scientist in a hospital. Go to your church.

Pray that god cures alzheimers and cancer. But realize you are wasting your time. Better to pray to the scientists. And send your money to them so they can do research to cure you of the cancer. God won't.
Ps stop trying to disprove God exists with science. Falseness can not prove truth

You actually sound insane to me. People like you are why they've been able to hold us back for thousands of years. You'd be the first one to want to burn a witch in the 1400's you dumb son of a bitch. All for nothing because God doesn't exist. Just because your church, the one you happened to be born in to or the one who happened to find you at the right time and convert you says so? We all know how corrupt the history of "the churches" is. Just look at the crazy Muslims who were born into the god of Islam. You are no different than them. Actually you are more pathetic because in the West there is no excuse for being this dumb.

But I understand a lot of good and smart people also believe in "god". Mostly people believe in god because they can't believe any other way or they want to believe. But most people in America if you ask them if they're a Christian they'll say they are "spiritual" or "I was raised in a Christian home". Why is your religion losing so many faithful followers? I say its too unbelievable to believe today with all the information we have at our fingertips. You'll say Satan did it. But that's how dumb you are. And most Christians are cherry picking liberals. Even gays are Christians. Why? THey want to go to heaven and not hell too. You don't own god. You just insist your version of him is real and others is not. Dummy.

God existence is obvious and easily seen by his creatures, so that all shall have no excuse for not believing in Him during the Day of Judgment.

If god(s) existence were obvious the greatest minds in the world wouldn't question it.

Why not more than one god? That's what we thought for hundreds of thousands of years before we finally settled on the 1 god concept. What evidence did we use to decide there is only 1 god?

If you were born back in ancient Greece you'd believe in multiple gods. Would you be right? Multiple gods seemed obvious to them. You could look up in the sky and see millions of gods (stars). Little did they know those were just other suns and they are so far away we just can't see that life is all over the universe. So instead superstitious/ignorant/primitive man decided we were all there was. Special. And the sun and cosmos revolved around us. We were wrong again.

Doesn't seem to matter how much we are wrong about god. Still doesn't prove god doesn't exist, right? But tell us this. Why is he hiding? And please don't use any of the stuff you read in the bible. If you do, also show me what every other 999 former and prior religions say. Doesn't matter what they say because they didn't use science to figure it out. If they did, show me the science.
God existence is obvious to the very best minds ever born, minds that constantly seek for absolute truth.

You're blind.

They can't be the best minds if they believe in god.

1. Question authority. No idea is true just because someone says so, including me. Think for yourself.

2. Question yourself. Don't believe anything just because you want to. Believing something doesn't make it so.

3. Test ideas, by the evidence gained from observation and experiment. If a favorite idea fails a well designed test, it's wrong. Get over it.

4. Follow the evidence, wherever it leads. If you have no evidence, reserve judgment.

5. And perhaps even the most important rule of all: remember you could be wrong. Even the best scientist have been wrong about somethings. Newton, Einstein, and ever other great scientist in history. They all made mistakes. Of course they did, their were human. Science is a way keep from fooling ourselves and each other.
I'll remain open to the possibility that a god or gods exist and created us. I haven't seen enough evidence to believe. I have seen enough evidence however to be very skeptical, especially of anyone who belongs to an organized religion. It is obvious to me Jesus, Moses, Mohammad, Abraham, Noah, Adam & Eve and Joseph Smith of the Mormons don't pass the test.

Why is it hiding?
Belief in a god is a matter of faith, not science so you can't prove or disprove it which is why I never waste my time in such debate.

Well if religion wants to pass laws based on this unseen character, don't you think they should be required to prove its existence before they tell us that "he" doesn't like gay marriage, abortion or stem cell research?

He also doesn't like murder, theft, or drunkenness. Guess we can't have laws against those.

Anyways, you missed the point. I'm just trying to explain to that other person why they shouldn't be allowed to say, "you just gotta have faith my big guy exists" and then try to pass laws that the big guy doesn't like.

On the contrary. We should use logic to re think our laws, just like we did the law that said blacks couldn't marry whites. Google stupid laws of old and see that going by what is popular doesn't always work. Consider how dumb the masses are. They believe in invisible men and heaven without any proof. This is why modern Europe and America and ancient Greece were so smart. They were free to think and question and they didn't have a moral authority suppressing them. You learn this if you watch the Cosmos.

I think the Constitution is one of the greatest books, not the bible. We have a great secular society. The problem was back when church and state were one. And you still believe that corrupt story/religion/society? Wake up man. Everyone thinks god loves them and hates their enemies. Even your enemies think this.

Oh, and many of the great minds of the past also believed in god. They looked into it and never discovered anything. They tried to investigate and experiment with the cult and miracles. Nothing ever came of it. It was only raw science that explained who we are, where we are, how we got here. We don't know how or why exactly. So lets keep looking. When you find a god please come show us your findings. Until then, keep looking.

On the contrary. We should use logic to re think our laws, just like we did the law that said blacks couldn't marry whites. Google stupid laws of old and see that going by what is popular doesn't always work. Consider how dumb the masses are. They believe in invisible men and heaven without any proof. This is why modern Europe and America and ancient Greece were so smart. They were free to think and question and they didn't have a moral authority suppressing them. You learn this if you watch the Cosmos.

I think the Constitution is one of the greatest books, not the bible. We have a great secular society. The problem was back when church and state were one. And you still believe that corrupt story/religion/society? Wake up man. Everyone thinks god loves them and hates their enemies. Even your enemies think this.

Oh, and many of the great minds of the past also believed in god. They looked into it and never discovered anything. They tried to investigate and experiment with the cult and miracles. Nothing ever came of it. It was only raw science that explained who we are, where we are, how we got here. We don't know how or why exactly. So lets keep looking. When you find a god please come show us your findings. Until then, keep looking.

Logic dictates that the elderly not consume more resources than they generate, and that the mentally retarded by destroyed. Logic dictates that only the strong be allowed to remain alive, and that illness and age carry an automatic death sentence.

You're blind.

1. Question authority. No idea is true just because someone says so, including me. Think for yourself.

2. Question yourself. Don't believe anything just because you want to. Believing something doesn't make it so.

3. Test ideas, by the evidence gained from observation and experiment. If a favorite idea fails a well designed test, it's wrong. Get over it.

4. Follow the evidence, wherever it leads. If you have no evidence, reserve judgment.

5. And perhaps even the most important rule of all: remember you could be wrong. Even the best scientist have been wrong about somethings. Newton, Einstein, and ever other great scientist in history. They all made mistakes. Of course they did, their were human. Science is a way keep from fooling ourselves and each other.
I'll remain open to the possibility that a god or gods exist and created us. I haven't seen enough evidence to believe. I have seen enough evidence however to be very skeptical, especially of anyone who belongs to an organized religion. It is obvious to me Jesus, Moses, Mohammad, Abraham, Noah, Adam & Eve and Joseph Smith of the Mormons don't pass the test.
LoL you are blind.

I believe Carl Sagan was a big part of the beginning of space exploration. He sees no reason for god. Youtube his logic on the subject and watch him explain in 3 minutes that you can take out god and the universe is eternal.

Some of our greatest scientists might have also believed in god but no one is perfect. They too are only human and show signs of cognitive dissonance, wishful thinking, etc.

Logic dictates that the elderly not consume more resources than they generate, and that the mentally retarded by destroyed. Logic dictates that only the strong be allowed to remain alive, and that illness and age carry an automatic death sentence.

Absolutely not. Is that what theists believe? Then you are sick. Scientific Atheists/Progressives would suggest that you take care of the less fortunate. That means YOU pay more taxes to take care of the sick and poor. But you don't want our society to do that. You want charity/church to do it. And we see how bad a job they are doing. You're basically saying you don't want to solve the problem. Sick. This is why I say religion is evil and hypocritical.

Now if you mean late term abort a mongaloid fetus in the last trimester? I would say yes

When we left England and the Church of England, we came to America and started a secular nation that gave everyone rights, life, liberty, persuit of happyness. Very liberal thing to do wouldn't you say? Or are you suggesting that YOUR SIDE wanted to separate church and state? Liar. I thought you bible thumpers weren't suppose to lie?

You have sick logic.

Humans aren't as good as we should be in our capacity to empathize with feelings and thoughts of others, be they humans or other animals on Earth. So maybe part of our formal education should be training in empathy. Imagine how different the world would be if, in fact, that were 'reading, writing, arithmetic, empathy.'
Read more at Neil deGrasse Tyson Quotes- BrainyQuote

You're blind.

LoL you are blind.

How? Explain it to me? But remember if you quote the bible or koran I'm going to use this

(1) Question authority. No idea is true just because someone says so.

(2) Think for yourself. Question yourself. Don't believe anything just because you want to. Believing something doesn't make it so.

(3) Test ideas by the evidence gained from observation and experiment. If a favorite idea fails a well-designed test, it's wrong. Get over it.

(4) Follow the evidence wherever it leads. If you have no evidence, reserve judgment.

And perhaps the most important rule of all...

(5) Remember: you could be wrong. Even the best scientists have been wrong about some things. Newton, Einstein, and every other great scientist in history -- they all made mistakes. Of course they did. They were human.

Science is a way to keep from fooling ourselves, and each other.

You're blind.

LoL you are blind.

What happened to the great Library of Alexandria? Why did the Pope burn it?

The library is famous for having been burned resulting in the loss of many scrolls and books, and has become a symbol of the destruction of cultural knowledge. A few sources differ on who is responsible for the destruction but one thing we know is Coptic Pope Theophilus destroyed the Serapeum in AD 391.

Every Christian comes from this source. This corruption/lies/evilness is what told you the myths of Jesus, Moses, Adam, Noah. Why would any modern person believe these ancient stories other than they are simple minded.

In fact today most "christians" say they admit those are all allegories. Adam, Moses, Noah are all stories. But ask them if Jesus is an allegory and they always assumed it was a true story and really happened. If they knew the history of their religion and the ones before they'd know its all bullshit and religion is how they control the masses, just like the Pharoahs and slave masters in the American south used it to control their slaves. They control you christians today too, you're just "blind" to it. Why? You want to go to heaven. You want there to be a god.

Evolution is the last gasp for the atheist. It is the only hope he has left having denied God and accepted the second death option for himself.
Atheists will endeavor at all costs to prove the non-existence of God most especially to themselves. They think if they are successful in having everyone accept the myths of evolution, then God will simply just go away and they will escape the reward for the choice they have made.

We have very good evidence evolution is real and god was made up. And I promise you I have no evil motive behind not liking religion. And it is not the devil in me. If you come back with that, that makes you stupid.

I just remembered a scene in the Cosmos. The religious establishment laughed at the pStar Trekerson who came up with Tactonic Plates and the theory that the earth use to be one big continent but then broke apart. PangeaEvery. The religious establishment insisted that there was a land bridge that the animals crossed but scientifically that argument has so many holes it makes no sense. But for years the establishment laughed at the idea. The scientist died before his theory was proven true. Why does the religious establishment fight science so much? Because religion is and has always been so wrong about everything. You think your religion is perfect? Sure after being edited for thousands of years by kings and popes.

The earth is still connected. Believe it or not, get down below the water and you will find a dirt bottom that you could walk over from one region of the earth to the other. The earth is still connected, it just has a few mud puddles in the way now.

Evolution is a bunch of myths, fables, and science fiction. Star Trek is just as real. Nothing about evolution can be substantiated Every aspect of evolution is a mathematical impossibility. Evolution has been rife with hoax and corruption. Every missing link has been proven a hoax or misrepresentation. Myth and fraud.

I Already found it, just challenging others to.

Have you watched the Cosmos yet? Because it answers a lot of your questions. No the beasts in the bible were not dinosaurs. LOL. This is the problem with theists. They don't like science because science isn't perfect but what science has done is debunk every bogus religious claim. For example, NO the bibles written less than 10,000 years ago were not referring to dinosaurs that lived millions of years ago.

But you can go to the Himilaya Mountains and find the Takin is the "beast" behind the Golden Fleece story. We also now know because of science that not only are we related to monkeys and fish, we are also related to the Takin and TREES. How did life get started on this planet? Science thinks a comet brought life to earth. Before that we thought something else. Whatever the truth, it isn't found in the bible. The people who wrote the bible were very ancient and primitive. A small percentage of humans invented the technology we all appreciate today and we would be 10,000 years ahead of where we are now if not for religion.
I'm actually relaying on the Hebrew Bible (OT in Hebrew supposed to be original source and later been translated to different versions) in the Hebrew Bible it states clearly 'big crocodiles' the birds and the sea creatures and later the beasts, but I'm definitely going to watch 'The Cosmos' thank you for the recommendation! By the way the Jewish world calendar state the world is 5775 years old - there are however many different theories but the plain answer is 5,775 - here is another challenge, can anyone tell me why is Adam and Eve creation came last?

Of course they saw big crocs and "beasts" back then. Google strange animals from the Himilayas and you'll see all kinds of crazy animals. Maybe they wondered on a bear or rhino for the first time or a wholly mammoth? Who knows.

The world is millions of years old. Watch the Cosmos and you will learn the history of the Cosmos. They put the whole thing in a year map. Day 1 the big bang. November life on earth formed. Man has only been around for 1 day of the entire year. Less. We are just 1 life form on one planet in the universe. We just happen to be the smartest thing on this planet. There are billions of stars in our galaxy alone. We can't even get to the nearest one. Who are we to say we are the only life in the universe? Only a primitive uneducated superstitious person who's been brainwashed with god talk thinking that we are special when we have no proof. The old testament is no different than the new, the mormon books, the Muslims, Greek Gods, Egyptian gods, king james version, whatever. It is all a lie. Most people get that. Most people don't believe organized religions but they say they believe in "something". That's pretty pathetic. But that was the original argument. Some if not most people believed in god(s) but no one knew. They invented him. And then one day Abraham's spin on religion took over the world. Today all three main religions are spawned from that guys original lie that god talked to him. Then the lie that Jesus was god himself and mary was a virgin. Fairytales made up 80 years after the supposed events. Jesus was a Jew and Jews saw him perform miracles? Then why didn't they convert? Yet you want me to believe it was real? Basically 11 guys made up a new cult. BFD.

Just because we are too small to discover life elsewhere, doesn't mean there isn't any. Watch the Cosmos and you'll probably drop the bible once you learn where (god(s)) came from.

There are billions of stars in just our galaxy. There are billions of galaxies. Can you wrap your mind around that? How can you follow a religion that squashed this knowledge for over 1100 years? Today religion "embraces" science because they can no longer deny it. Although they do. Just look at the fool who replied after you.

Life started on earth in the water and then some life evolved and crawled out of the water. All animals are related. Not only that, we are even related to the trees. All life on earth is related. We share the same dna or code. Watch the Cosmos. We branched off to be small mammals then monkeys then man eventually. Hard to grasp this but it took millions of years. We know evolution is real because we made chawawas out of wolves. We fast tracked evolution. We know polar bears evolved from brown hair bears and if the ice keeps melting they'll go brown again. Its all science.

Christians say, "you gotta read the bible" then we'll talk. I say, you have to watch the old and new Cosmos first.
I'm not a Christian but I'm definitely interested in all scientific areas so I will watch it, now before we break the discussion into small subjects I think we should firstly focus on the main logical connections at first, based on my poor knowledge and my humble vocabulary.
I'll try break into these three titles where I'll give you an example;

1.Knowing the Bible is written by man and (in several times quotes God) - Who in the world could possibly posses a knowledge only few in our time does 6,000 years ago?
You mentioned the Himalaya life forms - and delving into the deepest sea creatures - Is there a person in our time that capable of knowing all the life forms on earth? (don't forget that we have a few thousands years advantage including a world media, databases, researching, and of course time) - Is it possible for one to know all the life forms in the world in a life time without ANY of these advantages?
Here is another example - the Kosher subject for eating sea creatures - there is a formula that says all creatures having scales will have a fin, but there's with fin and no scales - in other words who can guarantee that all sea creatures having scales won't have a fin?
Once you realize the Bible is written by a very wise and intelligent person - or even a group(!) - would you rather ignore it complete or assume he/they might be on to something WE can't understand? Give it a thought.

2.As I said before I find the scientific discoveries to be entertainingly similar to the Bible - since like you said and I agree we are incapable of understanding the cosmos entirely why is it any different that understanding God is impossible?
(Example) The Big Bang - Chaos (raw translation - "Chaos and inside itself" ("To'ho vebo ho")) - we all know that in the very first words of the Bible, and we all know the Big Bang in some way extracted the cosmos - so far it goes precisely as the Bible said - next God created the 'Light' which is overwriting the default - Darkness - and here we are again finding that science is proving whats written in the Bible centuries ago! -
I would like to refer you to professor Nathan Aviezer that discuss all these connections, this is an appetizer.
Let me quote Mr.Aviezer - the scientific evidence won't make anyone believe in God.
(And also another point about the miracles and Jesus, it is known never to expect a miracle, and that miracles can't make you believe - this is a very big topic I would like to go over later, so lets hold here, I'll bring this one up later)

3.This is a scientific paradox for the logic you suggest, what came first the chicken or the egg? - So far the flaws in the Bible explained by modern science - but is the modern science flawless to be able to disprove the Bible which proved itself to be correct when science turned us down for centuries?
The Europeans considered tomatoes to be poisoned for many years, and they surly been the most modern and advanced society in their time, what makes you think the science of today is flawless and everything is correct? The Europeans thought reasonably that a defenseless fruit with only a red color to warn possible predators is poisoned - its all make sense, but is it? this is mostly a food for thought :)lol:) but lets get down to the third point - Science surly has it flaws, the greatest scientific minds always repeated that - How can you possible disprove the Bible with a flawed evidence? This leads me to the third and final conclusion coming from this point forward:
Its either coexisted or never existed at all, but since we know the two exists, what option left possible? - The flaw is in us.

I Know this is a hell of a long post and I'm sorry about that I was trying to cut down where I could and make it most readable for everyone.

I believe the religious authority back in the day was intelligent. Those religious books they wrote back then were the best that anyone could come up with at the time. If they weren't smart they wouldn't be i charge. But they weren't that smart. We wouldn't even have electricity if it weren't for a few smart scientists.

Do you know who Michael Faraday is? He and other great minds throughout modern history discovered things and all the great minds that believed in God argued every time the facts didn't jive with their religions. If you watch the Cosmos you will learn of a few great men and their battles with rulers and religions. If not for some of them, we wouldn't have electricity. And a lot of them had their information squashed and some of them were burned at the stake for questioning the church/state, which back then were one and the same. Great Chinese, Greek, Iraqi, Iranian scientists who we don't even know much about today because of these "smart" men who wrote the bible and destroyed any proof that contradicted their religions.

I don't care what the bible says about eating bottom feeders. Watch the Cosmos and see what Newton, Einstein, Darwin, Carl Sagan and others have figured out. It'll make your religion seem outdated and pathetic. It will blow your mind.

We are all made of star stuff. Protons, Atoms, Molecules. The planet is a living thing. The universe is a living thing. If you look at your DNA, you are a little universe. Follow the laws of science. Question everything.

Those who raise questions about the God hypothesis and the soul hypothesis are by no means all atheists. An atheist is someone who is certain that God does not exist, someone who has compelling evidence against the existence of God. I know of no such compelling evidence. Because God can be relegated to remote times and places and to ultimate causes, we would have to know a great deal more about the universe than we do to be sure that no such God exists. To be certain of the existence of God and to be certain of the nonexistence of God seem to me to be the confident extremes in a subject so riddled with doubt and uncertainty as to inspire very little confidence indeed.

The bible isn't right about the creation of the universe and you know it. 300 billion years ago the big bang occured. Lets put it on a calendar. If the big bang was Jan 1st, the stars didn't form until May and life on earth didn't start until November and humans have only been around for the last day of the year. We are such a small part of the Cosmos. And there is probably life somewhere living around every star you see in the sky. Or at least many of them. So there is life on billions of other planets.

You are using my dad's argument. He says science is stupid and wrong and how can they know for sure because they weren't there 100's of thousands of years ago. But I say to him, "look at sciences evidence" And feel free to challenge science. If it is wrong it wants to know. But religion does not. Religion says "it is god that created us" when religion does not know that. And for thousands of years they killed you if you disagreed. So fact is, it is a cop out to say "must be god". Better to keep looking for the answers and keep an open mind to everything. Watch the Cosmos and come back and tell me you see evidence of a creator. More likely you'll realize the Universe(s) are all there is, all there ever was and all there ever will be. No god needed.
I really believe the vast number of people on this earth are agnostic; that is they neither believe nor disbelieve. They simply are not sure. Whether they claim to be Christian, Jew, Muslim, or whatever, there is always doubt. It is simply human nature to doubt.

Have you watched the Cosmos yet? Because it answers a lot of your questions. No the beasts in the bible were not dinosaurs. LOL. This is the problem with theists. They don't like science because science isn't perfect but what science has done is debunk every bogus religious claim. For example, NO the bibles written less than 10,000 years ago were not referring to dinosaurs that lived millions of years ago.

But you can go to the Himilaya Mountains and find the Takin is the "beast" behind the Golden Fleece story. We also now know because of science that not only are we related to monkeys and fish, we are also related to the Takin and TREES. How did life get started on this planet? Science thinks a comet brought life to earth. Before that we thought something else. Whatever the truth, it isn't found in the bible. The people who wrote the bible were very ancient and primitive. A small percentage of humans invented the technology we all appreciate today and we would be 10,000 years ahead of where we are now if not for religion.
I'm actually relaying on the Hebrew Bible (OT in Hebrew supposed to be original source and later been translated to different versions) in the Hebrew Bible it states clearly 'big crocodiles' the birds and the sea creatures and later the beasts, but I'm definitely going to watch 'The Cosmos' thank you for the recommendation! By the way the Jewish world calendar state the world is 5775 years old - there are however many different theories but the plain answer is 5,775 - here is another challenge, can anyone tell me why is Adam and Eve creation came last?

Of course they saw big crocs and "beasts" back then. Google strange animals from the Himilayas and you'll see all kinds of crazy animals. Maybe they wondered on a bear or rhino for the first time or a wholly mammoth? Who knows.

The world is millions of years old. Watch the Cosmos and you will learn the history of the Cosmos. They put the whole thing in a year map. Day 1 the big bang. November life on earth formed. Man has only been around for 1 day of the entire year. Less. We are just 1 life form on one planet in the universe. We just happen to be the smartest thing on this planet. There are billions of stars in our galaxy alone. We can't even get to the nearest one. Who are we to say we are the only life in the universe? Only a primitive uneducated superstitious person who's been brainwashed with god talk thinking that we are special when we have no proof. The old testament is no different than the new, the mormon books, the Muslims, Greek Gods, Egyptian gods, king james version, whatever. It is all a lie. Most people get that. Most people don't believe organized religions but they say they believe in "something". That's pretty pathetic. But that was the original argument. Some if not most people believed in god(s) but no one knew. They invented him. And then one day Abraham's spin on religion took over the world. Today all three main religions are spawned from that guys original lie that god talked to him. Then the lie that Jesus was god himself and mary was a virgin. Fairytales made up 80 years after the supposed events. Jesus was a Jew and Jews saw him perform miracles? Then why didn't they convert? Yet you want me to believe it was real? Basically 11 guys made up a new cult. BFD.

Just because we are too small to discover life elsewhere, doesn't mean there isn't any. Watch the Cosmos and you'll probably drop the bible once you learn where (god(s)) came from.

There are billions of stars in just our galaxy. There are billions of galaxies. Can you wrap your mind around that? How can you follow a religion that squashed this knowledge for over 1100 years? Today religion "embraces" science because they can no longer deny it. Although they do. Just look at the fool who replied after you.

Life started on earth in the water and then some life evolved and crawled out of the water. All animals are related. Not only that, we are even related to the trees. All life on earth is related. We share the same dna or code. Watch the Cosmos. We branched off to be small mammals then monkeys then man eventually. Hard to grasp this but it took millions of years. We know evolution is real because we made chawawas out of wolves. We fast tracked evolution. We know polar bears evolved from brown hair bears and if the ice keeps melting they'll go brown again. Its all science.

Christians say, "you gotta read the bible" then we'll talk. I say, you have to watch the old and new Cosmos first.
I'm not a Christian but I'm definitely interested in all scientific areas so I will watch it, now before we break the discussion into small subjects I think we should firstly focus on the main logical connections at first, based on my poor knowledge and my humble vocabulary.
I'll try break into these three titles where I'll give you an example;

1.Knowing the Bible is written by man and (in several times quotes God) - Who in the world could possibly posses a knowledge only few in our time does 6,000 years ago?
You mentioned the Himalaya life forms - and delving into the deepest sea creatures - Is there a person in our time that capable of knowing all the life forms on earth? (don't forget that we have a few thousands years advantage including a world media, databases, researching, and of course time) - Is it possible for one to know all the life forms in the world in a life time without ANY of these advantages?
Here is another example - the Kosher subject for eating sea creatures - there is a formula that says all creatures having scales will have a fin, but there's with fin and no scales - in other words who can guarantee that all sea creatures having scales won't have a fin?
Once you realize the Bible is written by a very wise and intelligent person - or even a group(!) - would you rather ignore it complete or assume he/they might be on to something WE can't understand? Give it a thought.

2.As I said before I find the scientific discoveries to be entertainingly similar to the Bible - since like you said and I agree we are incapable of understanding the cosmos entirely why is it any different that understanding God is impossible?
(Example) The Big Bang - Chaos (raw translation - "Chaos and inside itself" ("To'ho vebo ho")) - we all know that in the very first words of the Bible, and we all know the Big Bang in some way extracted the cosmos - so far it goes precisely as the Bible said - next God created the 'Light' which is overwriting the default - Darkness - and here we are again finding that science is proving whats written in the Bible centuries ago! -
I would like to refer you to professor Nathan Aviezer that discuss all these connections, this is an appetizer.
Let me quote Mr.Aviezer - the scientific evidence won't make anyone believe in God.
(And also another point about the miracles and Jesus, it is known never to expect a miracle, and that miracles can't make you believe - this is a very big topic I would like to go over later, so lets hold here, I'll bring this one up later)

3.This is a scientific paradox for the logic you suggest, what came first the chicken or the egg? - So far the flaws in the Bible explained by modern science - but is the modern science flawless to be able to disprove the Bible which proved itself to be correct when science turned us down for centuries?
The Europeans considered tomatoes to be poisoned for many years, and they surly been the most modern and advanced society in their time, what makes you think the science of today is flawless and everything is correct? The Europeans thought reasonably that a defenseless fruit with only a red color to warn possible predators is poisoned - its all make sense, but is it? this is mostly a food for thought :)lol:) but lets get down to the third point - Science surly has it flaws, the greatest scientific minds always repeated that - How can you possible disprove the Bible with a flawed evidence? This leads me to the third and final conclusion coming from this point forward:
Its either coexisted or never existed at all, but since we know the two exists, what option left possible? - The flaw is in us.

I Know this is a hell of a long post and I'm sorry about that I was trying to cut down where I could and make it most readable for everyone.

I believe the religious authority back in the day was intelligent. Those religious books they wrote back then were the best that anyone could come up with at the time. If they weren't smart they wouldn't be i charge. But they weren't that smart. We wouldn't even have electricity if it weren't for a few smart scientists.

Do you know who Michael Faraday is? He and other great minds throughout modern history discovered things and all the great minds that believed in God argued every time the facts didn't jive with their religions. If you watch the Cosmos you will learn of a few great men and their battles with rulers and religions. If not for some of them, we wouldn't have electricity. And a lot of them had their information squashed and some of them were burned at the stake for questioning the church/state, which back then were one and the same. Great Chinese, Greek, Iraqi, Iranian scientists who we don't even know much about today because of these "smart" men who wrote the bible and destroyed any proof that contradicted their religions.

I don't care what the bible says about eating bottom feeders. Watch the Cosmos and see what Newton, Einstein, Darwin, Carl Sagan and others have figured out. It'll make your religion seem outdated and pathetic. It will blow your mind.

We are all made of star stuff. Protons, Atoms, Molecules. The planet is a living thing. The universe is a living thing. If you look at your DNA, you are a little universe. Follow the laws of science. Question everything.

Those who raise questions about the God hypothesis and the soul hypothesis are by no means all atheists. An atheist is someone who is certain that God does not exist, someone who has compelling evidence against the existence of God. I know of no such compelling evidence. Because God can be relegated to remote times and places and to ultimate causes, we would have to know a great deal more about the universe than we do to be sure that no such God exists. To be certain of the existence of God and to be certain of the nonexistence of God seem to me to be the confident extremes in a subject so riddled with doubt and uncertainty as to inspire very little confidence indeed.

The bible isn't right about the creation of the universe and you know it. 300 billion years ago the big bang occured. Lets put it on a calendar. If the big bang was Jan 1st, the stars didn't form until May and life on earth didn't start until November and humans have only been around for the last day of the year. We are such a small part of the Cosmos. And there is probably life somewhere living around every star you see in the sky. Or at least many of them. So there is life on billions of other planets.

You are using my dad's argument. He says science is stupid and wrong and how can they know for sure because they weren't there 100's of thousands of years ago. But I say to him, "look at sciences evidence" And feel free to challenge science. If it is wrong it wants to know. But religion does not. Religion says "it is god that created us" when religion does not know that. And for thousands of years they killed you if you disagreed. So fact is, it is a cop out to say "must be god". Better to keep looking for the answers and keep an open mind to everything. Watch the Cosmos and come back and tell me you see evidence of a creator. More likely you'll realize the Universe(s) are all there is, all there ever was and all there ever will be. No god needed.
I really believe the vast number of people on this earth are agnostic; that is they neither believe nor disbelieve. They simply are not sure. Whether they claim to be Christian, Jew, Muslim, or whatever, there is always doubt. It is simply human nature to doubt.

Probably why religion outlawed questioning them for so many thousands of years. Or why they attacked science when it contradicted their story.

I think any Muslim who prays 5 times a day probably believes. I wonder how many Muslim women don't believe but can't speak up? I have friends who lived in Iran. They never believed but lived in a society where you had to keep quiet about that.

I think a lot of the people who go to church every Sunday but are hypocrites 6 days a week believe because they want to believe. Plus Christianity sounds like an easy way to heaven. Most half ass Christians don't realize that conservative Christians think they too aren't going to heaven. So most "christians" think they are going to heaven but the ones who really follow the bible say they aren't doing enough. I love it. I wish they would have it out. I wish the conservative Christians would tell the Pope Francis' of the world to go to hell and start their own strict religion. That way we'd know how many real Christians are actually in this country.

Not the people who just say YES when asked if they believe in Jesus as the lord and savior but they do nothing else religious beyond that. Or the people who say, "well I was born Catholic but I don't go to church".

I think Christian churches accept these half ass Christians because getting $1 in the collection plate 2 times a year from all of them is better than nothing. Plus it inflates their numbers.

Evolution is the last gasp for the atheist. It is the only hope he has left having denied God and accepted the second death option for himself.
Atheists will endeavor at all costs to prove the non-existence of God most especially to themselves. They think if they are successful in having everyone accept the myths of evolution, then God will simply just go away and they will escape the reward for the choice they have made.

We have very good evidence evolution is real and god was made up. And I promise you I have no evil motive behind not liking religion. And it is not the devil in me. If you come back with that, that makes you stupid.

I just remembered a scene in the Cosmos. The religious establishment laughed at the pStar Trekerson who came up with Tactonic Plates and the theory that the earth use to be one big continent but then broke apart. PangeaEvery. The religious establishment insisted that there was a land bridge that the animals crossed but scientifically that argument has so many holes it makes no sense. But for years the establishment laughed at the idea. The scientist died before his theory was proven true. Why does the religious establishment fight science so much? Because religion is and has always been so wrong about everything. You think your religion is perfect? Sure after being edited for thousands of years by kings and popes.

The earth is still connected. Believe it or not, get down below the water and you will find a dirt bottom that you could walk over from one region of the earth to the other. The earth is still connected, it just has a few mud puddles in the way now.

Evolution is a bunch of myths, fables, and science fiction. Star Trek is just as real. Nothing about evolution can be substantiated Every aspect of evolution is a mathematical impossibility. Evolution has been rife with hoax and corruption. Every missing link has been proven a hoax or misrepresentation. Myth and fraud.

What about Plate Tectonics? The earth is alive. Did god reveal that or science?

So you think God sat down and designed each and every one of the millions of beatles that exist today? They didn't all evolve from a single species?

Many scientists and philosophers of science have described evolution as fact and theory, a phrase which was used as the title of an article by Stephen Jay Gould in 1981. He describes fact in science as meaning data, not absolute certainty but "confirmed to such a degree that it would be perverse to withhold provisional assent." A scientific theory is a well-substantiated explanation of such facts. The facts of evolution come from observational evidence of current processes, from imperfections in organisms recording historical common descent, and from transitions in the fossil record. Theories of evolution provide a provisional explanation for these facts

Religion is the myth. Religion(s) don't hold up to the test that the theory of evolution passed. Sorry dummy.

(1) Question authority. No idea is true just because someone says so, including me.

(2) Think for yourself. Question yourself. Don't believe anything just because you want to. Believing something doesn't make it so.

(3) Test ideas by the evidence gained from observation and experiment. If a favorite idea fails a well-designed test, it's wrong. Get over it.

(4) Follow the evidence wherever it leads. If you have no evidence, reserve judgment.

And perhaps the most important rule of all...

(5) Remember: you could be wrong. Even the best scientists have been wrong about some things. Newton, Einstein, and every other great scientist in history -- they all made mistakes. Of course they did. They were human.

Science is a way to keep from fooling ourselves, and each other. You're fooling yourself. Know what that makes you? A fool.

It is hard for you to understand because evolution happens over millions of years. Want to see a great example? Look at a Poodle or Chawawa. Know where they came from? The wolf. We made them by picking the traits we liked. So we know evolution is real. It is accepted as fact. Anyone who challenges it is now the nut job were in the past people believed religion. Why is religion losing? Because it doesn't stand the scientific test and never will. You have to be dumb and have faith.

Youtube
4 Billion Years of Evolution in 40 Seconds

You came from a bacteria. Then a fish, then a small mammal, then a monkey then man. Took millions of years.

I'll go with what science says, you go with a book written 1000's of years ago by superstitious ignorant controlling rules/priests/societies.

Forum List

Back