The Crusades: Why are we still fighting them?

"This Republican party of Lincoln has become a party of theocracy",

US Rep Christopher Shays, R CT, (New York Times, 3/23/05)
ROFLMAO
yeah, i'm sure Shays thinks that
What is your problem? You asked for a NYT source and I give you a NYT source quoting a Republican who says this about his own party. What's the matter is he too moderate for you?

Last edited:
"This Republican party of Lincoln has become a party of theocracy",

US Rep Christopher Shays, R CT, (New York Times, 3/23/05)
ROFLMAO
What is your problem? You asked for a NYT source and I give you a NYT source quoting a Republican who says this about his own party. What's the matter is he too moderate for you?
no, i didnt "ask" for a NYT source
and i didnt say he DIDNT say that
i was laughing at HIM

ROFLMAO
i was laughing at HIM

As I recall, Chris Shays was one of the first Republicans to be labeled as RINO by contemptuous conservatives. I would like to see his remarks in context though.

I'm guessing Sky took that quote from a one liner in TheocracyWatch that is one of the more dishonest sites trying to lure the gullible into believing that rabid fanatical Christians are about to take over the U.S. government, force everybody to be baptised - by immersion of course - and attend church three times a week.

(Okay that's maybe a little exaggerated, but honestly, some of this stuff is so off the wall that it's almost too silly to discuss.)

I'm sure Kalam is enjoying the fact that we're attacking Christianity now though and the scrutiny is off of Islam. :)

Last edited:
i was laughing at HIM

As I recall, Chris Shays was one of the first Republicans to be labeled as RINO by contemptuous conservatives. I would like to see his remarks in context though.

I'm guessing Sky took that quote from a one liner in TheocracyWatch that is one of the more dishonest sites trying to lure the gullible into believing that rabid fanatical Christians are about to take over the U.S. government, force everybody to be baptised - by immersion of course - and attend church three times a week.

(Okay that's maybe a little exaggerated, but honestly, some of this stuff is so off the wall that it's almost too silly to discuss.)

I'm sure Kalam is enjoying the fact that we're attacking Christianity now though and the scrutiny is off of Islam. :)

Actually the context for the Shay's quote is the climate in the GOP during the Terry Schiavo affair. I read the whole article.

Last edited:
i was laughing at HIM

yeah, here in the "Christian theocracy" she is allowed to do as she pleases
but let her go to one of the real theocracies(an Islamic repiublic) and see what happens to her to try and be what she is

i was laughing at HIM

Actually the context for the Shay's quote is the climate in the GOP during the Terry Schiavo affair. I read the whole article.
except you didnt include the link to your source

My bad. I'm on a slow laptop at the moment.

Here's another tidbit you'll probably dismiss:
except you didnt include the link to your source

My bad. Im on a laptop and its driving me crazy. Here's another article you'll probably dismiss.
Beck plans ‘university’, hires Dr. Stoner and ‘the right’s favorite pseudo-historian’ to teach | Raw Story

i was laughing at HIM

but let her go to one of the real theocracies(an Islamic repiublic) and see what happens to her to try and be what she is

You'd really like that wouldn't you?

No much worse. Worldnet Daily and Newsmax plus other similar rightwing sites make no pretense about being unbiased or that they don't represent the rightwing or conservative point of view. But both at least do some decent research and they don't deal in flat out intentional fabrication. I try not to use those sites as sources much though just because I know they'll be percieved as unreliable. They are as biased as Common Dreams but in no way as dishonest.

Now some of the rightwing blogs, yeah. They can be really bad and they do make up a lot of sh*t that sometimes makes it into the mainstream. I view that with the same contempt that I view sh*t from the left.

Well name some unbiased news sources then.
totally unbiased??

dont exist
but you can find some that are far less biased than commondreams

even the NYT would be less biased

We could all learn something from this post. Excellent!

actually, i wouldnt
but you dont seem to understand what was said

I've read the book, Sky. Not because I wanted to especially, but it was one suggested for a book discussion group I led two or three years ago so I had to review it. I think it's available on Amazon now for like $1.50 per copy? Not exactly a best seller, huh.

Actually the book is not badly written, but it is little more than a glorified editorial opinion piece written by a man who for the last couple of decades has despised and loathed the Republican Party, anything conservative, and anything Christian.

Not what I would call a reliable source on the subject.

Sky, this country was founded by Christians based on their Christian values, morals, and the sociopolitical convictions arising out of those. The Founders held worship services right in the halls of Congress. For most of this nation's history, Christianity has been the overwhelmingly dominant religion and has heavily influenced our laws, work schedules, education curriculum, culture, art, music, recognized holidays, and benevolent work here and abroad. The presence of Christian churches in any neighborhood increases property values far more significantly than do synagogues, mosques, or Buddhist temples. Previous generations were far more militant and active in demanding Christian principles in the schools and other institutions than anything we've seen the last 50 years.

Despite all that no theocracy has ever developed and what pockets of theocracy previously existed have vanished. We remain the most open, accepting, tolerant society in the world.

For the life of me, I don't understand how somebody who embraces a religion of rationality and enlightenment can be so gullibe as to believe the hateful, prejudiced, anti-Christian rantings and accusations of the militantly anti-Christian..

I've read the book, Sky. Not because I wanted to especially, but it was one suggested for a book discussion group I led two or three years ago so I had to review it. I think it's available on Amazon now for like $1.50 per copy? Not exactly a best seller, huh.

Actually the book is not badly written, but it is little more than a glorified editorial opinion piece written by a man who for the last couple of decades has despised and loathed the Republican Party, anything conservative, and anything Christian.

Sky, this country was founded by Christians based on their Christian values, morals, and the sociopolitical convictions arising out of those. The Founders held worship services right in the halls of Congress. For most of this nation's history, Christianity has been the overwhelmingly dominant religion and has heavily influenced our laws, work schedules, education curriculum, culture, art, music, recognized holidays, and benevolent work here and abroad. The presence of Christian churches in any neighborhood increases property values far more significantly than do synagogues, mosques, or Buddhist temples. Previous generations were far more militant and active in demanding Christian principles in the schools and other institutions than anything we've seen the last 50 years.

Despite all that no theocracy has ever developed and what pockets of theocracy previously existed have vanished. We remain the most open, accepting, tolerant society in the world.

For the life of me, I don't understand how somebody who embraces a religion of rationality and enlightenment can be so gullibe as to believe the hateful, prejudiced, anti-Christian rantings and accusations of the militantly anti-Christian..

Thanks alot. I came out of a long Buddhist retreat around the time of the Terry Schiavo affair. I was appalled by the ill will around that story. I started to read about the Dominionist movement at that time because a MSN source directed me there.

I may be gullible, but I am not hateful, prejudiced or militantly anti-christian. Some of the article I read seemed well researched to me.

And I put up with eight years of GW Bush's brand of evangelicism.

Last edited:
GW Bush is a Christian and was elected by the religious right.

He was also elected by atheists, Muslims, Jews, and probably even a Buddhist or two.

Buddhists didn't organize for Bush. Evangelicals did.

Did all the evangelicals who voted for Bush suddenly become liberals who elected Obama?
Doesn't make sense. Independents elect Presidents. The party faithful are only a part of the electorate.

Thanks alot.

Okay, if that is sarcasm, I wouldn't blame you. I was too brutally honest in stating my opinion and should have done so more diplomatically.

But with so much evidence to dispute any notion that any group of Christians is trying to take control of anything, much less the U.S. government, I just don't understand how so many of these wrong notions get legs even with some very bright people.

You have so much freedom here and have the gall to attack it. Quit claiming things that are absolutely untrue. You claim Christians are more dangerous then Muslims. FLAT out lie. You have zero evidence to base that claim on. I repeat NAME A CHRISTIAN Country. Name a none Islamic democracy that restraint religion, freedom of expression, the right to openly be Gay, and a host of other rights you seem to not understand you have and would not in a Muslim Nation.

You make ignorant claims as to the danger of supposed Christians while defending KNOWN terror religions. And when we ask you to put up or shut up you resort to they " ya you would like that" routine.

Let me assure you you are safe in America and have no fear of a Fundamentalist take over of the Government. You would probably be put in prison or killed in an Islamic Country.

Forum List

Back