The deal Trump wanted with Russia

Long article but WELL worth reading as to WHO has steeped into the oval office.

While he ran for president, Trump was simultaneously — and secretly — pursuing financial opportunities with a foreign adversary. Not just any adversary, but Russia, a country described by his party’s previous presidential nominee as the United States’ “No. 1 geopolitical foe.” And not just pursuing financial opportunities in Russia, but actively seeking the help of at least one senior Russian official to gain government approval for the project.

This is not okay. When you run for president, you cannot — you should not — put yourself in the position of using that candidacy as a door-opening business opportunity. You cannot — even if the prospect of winning seems remote — put yourself in a position of being financially beholden to a hostile foreign power.

Trump Tower Moscow was not another instance of Trump as unabashed cross-promoter-in-chief, like using the campaign press corps to help tout the reopening of his Scottish golf course. It represented something much more disturbing, even unpatriotic.

It was possible, when The Post first broke the news of the failed deal, to discount the proposal as braggadocio from Felix Sater, the Russian-born real estate developer pushing the deal. “Our boy can become president of the USA and we can engineer it,” Sater emailed Trump Organization executive vice president Michael Cohen, detailed by the New York Times.

But as it turned out, this was more than Sater freelancing in Trump’s name. The Post next reported that Cohen emailed Putin spokesman Dmitry Peskov in January 2016 in a bid to save the languishing deal; that Cohen discussed the project with Trump on three occasions; and that the effort was dropped when Russian government permission was unforthcoming.

The Trump Organization not only pursued this opportunity in secret, it — indeed, Trump himself — actively misled the public. Imagine how much more sharply people would have responded to Trump’s already repulsive praise of Russian President Vladimir Putin during that time — “He’s running his country, and at least he’s a leader, you know, unlike what we have in this country” — if they knew that Trump had just signed a letter of intent with a Russian firm to develop a Trump-branded tower in Moscow.

And as the question of Trump’s Russian connections became increasingly controversial, he somehow omitted the just-abandoned deal. “For the record, I have ZERO investments in Russia,” he tweeted in July 2016. This past January, as Trump prepared to take office, he reiterated, “I HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH RUSSIA — NO DEALS, NO LOANS, NO NOTHING!” Shades of Bill Clinton — it depends on what the meaning of “have” is.

As recently as his interview this summer with the New York Times, Trump disingenuously played down his financial interests in Russia. “I mean, it’s possible there’s a condo or something, so, you know, I sell a lot of condo units, and somebody from Russia buys a condo, who knows? . . . They said I own buildings in Russia. I don’t. They said I made money from Russia. I don’t. It’s not my thing. I don’t, I don’t do that. Over the years, I’ve looked at maybe doing a deal in Russia, but I never did one.” Including the one he was pursuing while running for president, but failed to mention.

We have become inured to Trumpian self-dealing, from doubling membership fees at Mar-a-Lago to profiting off his government-owned D.C. hotel. This one goes beyond pure greed. It edges into serious questions about whether Trump’s positions on Putin and Russia have been and remain tainted by considerations not of what is best for the nation but what benefits Trump’s bottom line.

Opinion | The deal Trump wanted with Russia
russia-russia-russia-5208501.png

Jake keeps repeating his "Nothing Burger with Russia Dressing " order

While he ran for president, Trump was simultaneously — and secretly — pursuing financial opportunities with a foreign adversary. Not just any adversary, but Russia, a country described by his party’s previous presidential nominee as the United States’ “No. 1 geopolitical foe.” And not just pursuing financial opportunities in Russia, but actively seeking the help of at least one senior Russian official to gain government approval for the project.

This is not okay. When you run for president, you cannot — you should not — put yourself in the position of using that candidacy as a door-opening business opportunity. You cannot — even if the prospect of winning seems remote — put yourself in a position of being financially beholden to a hostile foreign power.

Trump Tower Moscow was not another instance of Trump as unabashed cross-promoter-in-chief, like using the campaign press corps to help tout the reopening of his Scottish golf course. It represented something much more disturbing, even unpatriotic.

It was possible, when The Post first broke the news of the failed deal, to discount the proposal as braggadocio from Felix Sater, the Russian-born real estate developer pushing the deal. “Our boy can become president of the USA and we can engineer it,” Sater emailed Trump Organization executive vice president Michael Cohen, detailed by the New York Times.

But as it turned out, this was more than Sater freelancing in Trump’s name. The Post next reported that Cohen emailed Putin spokesman Dmitry Peskov in January 2016 in a bid to save the languishing deal; that Cohen discussed the project with Trump on three occasions; and that the effort was dropped when Russian government permission was unforthcoming.

The Trump Organization not only pursued this opportunity in secret, it — indeed, Trump himself — actively misled the public. Imagine how much more sharply people would have responded to Trump’s already repulsive praise of Russian President Vladimir Putin during that time — “He’s running his country, and at least he’s a leader, you know, unlike what we have in this country” — if they knew that Trump had just signed a letter of intent with a Russian firm to develop a Trump-branded tower in Moscow.

And as the question of Trump’s Russian connections became increasingly controversial, he somehow omitted the just-abandoned deal. “For the record, I have ZERO investments in Russia,” he tweeted in July 2016. This past January, as Trump prepared to take office, he reiterated, “I HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH RUSSIA — NO DEALS, NO LOANS, NO NOTHING!” Shades of Bill Clinton — it depends on what the meaning of “have” is.

As recently as his interview this summer with the New York Times, Trump disingenuously played down his financial interests in Russia. “I mean, it’s possible there’s a condo or something, so, you know, I sell a lot of condo units, and somebody from Russia buys a condo, who knows? . . . They said I own buildings in Russia. I don’t. They said I made money from Russia. I don’t. It’s not my thing. I don’t, I don’t do that. Over the years, I’ve looked at maybe doing a deal in Russia, but I never did one.” Including the one he was pursuing while running for president, but failed to mention.

We have become inured to Trumpian self-dealing, from doubling membership fees at Mar-a-Lago to profiting off his government-owned D.C. hotel. This one goes beyond pure greed. It edges into serious questions about whether Trump’s positions on Putin and Russia have been and remain tainted by considerations not of what is best for the nation but what benefits Trump’s bottom line.

Wow, you mean Trump was pursuing a deal in Russia?

How do you feel about these fine American companies that some have been doing business more than 40 years in Russia.
Pepsi
Coke
General Motors
Ford
Mars
Procter & Gamble
Exxon Mobil
Boeing
Chevron
Conoco Phillips
Microsoft
IBM
ect, ect.

Ok hypocrite, why aren't you bitching about these companies?

We realize that should you ever get the power you lust for, you would institute the final solution you have for whites and Christians.

You little Pol Pot motherfuckers have lots of plans...

Good thing you have a lot of room under your bed.........(take lots of chips and beer under there)...LOL

Last edited:

How do you feel about these fine American companies that some have been doing business more than 40 years in Russia.
Pepsi
Coke
General Motors
Ford
Mars
Procter & Gamble
Exxon Mobil
Boeing
Chevron
Conoco Phillips
Microsoft
IBM
ect, ect.

Could YOU please point out which of those companies was also running for president?........

....and, when those companies set up shop in Russia, were there sanctions on the table???

AND.......how come all those companies DID manage to get businesses in Russia, but the "GREATEST DEAL MAKER ON EARTH".....could NOT???

LOL

Last edited:
AND.......how come all those companies DID manage to get businesses in Russia, but the "GREATEST DEAL MAKER ON EARTH".....could NOT???

Not even a puppet master likes the Trump puppet too much.......LOL

Pepsi
Coke
General Motors
Ford
Mars
Procter & Gamble
Exxon Mobil
Boeing
Chevron
Conoco Phillips
Microsoft
IBM
ect, ect.

Could YOU please point out which of those companies was also running for president?........

....and, when those companies set up shop in Russia, were there sanctions on the table???

LOL

When Pepsi set up shop the cold war was still going, they did business with the USSR. Were anyone he was dealing with sanctioned? If not what difference does it make, as the bitch so boastfully stated. Also who cares why the deal fell through, we would have never heard the end of it if it had. Hell, here you are crying your fucking eyes out over a deal that didn't happen. Run along snowflake.

A typical right wing, Trump ass-kisser

The tough issue to ignore arose today. DOJ found NO evidence Obama wiretappped Trump, and that means Trump made a false accusation of a crime, which is in itself a potential CRIME to investigate.

his is not okay. When you run for president, you cannot — you should not — put yourself in the position of using that candidacy as a door-opening business opportunity. You cannot — even if the prospect of winning seems remote — put yourself in a position of being financially beholden to a hostile foreign power.

View attachment 147219

Above, an example of right wing "intelligentsia".....
Be proud conservatives for having this idiot among your ilk. .....LOL

He's just stating the facts.

You one sad butt-hurt left wing moron.

Nobody really gives a flying fig about this anymore. I can hardly find it on the news anymore.

Face it, dickweed.

You lost.

Keep sucking on it.

Long live Scalia.......you :asshole:

A typical right wing, Trump ass-kisser

Coming from a typical butthurt left wing sore loser.

Suck on it.

Pepsi
Coke
General Motors
Ford
Mars
Procter & Gamble
Exxon Mobil
Boeing
Chevron
Conoco Phillips
Microsoft
IBM
ect, ect.

LOL
You are just another Jewish Trump-hater. Your hatred only demonstrates your hatred of the American nation you are trying to destroy.

So let us see here a far left drone using a far left drone religious site based on far left religious dogma..

It is opinion piece worthy of the onion.

When Pepsi set up shop the cold war was still going

Pepsi ran for president???The things you earn from R-W'ers are simply amazing.....

How is that relevant, they have been doing business with our greatest geopolitical adversary since 1971, I thought this was about doing business with the bad guys. Only a real hypocritical asshole would say it's ok for one company and not others.

Carry on hypocrite.

post the cliff notes .........

Yes because your attention span is equal to Trump's, you need a half page with simple words and lots of pictures.

All of the depth of a rain puddle.

How is that relevant, they have been doing business with our greatest geopolitical adversary since 1971, I thought this was about doing business with the bad guys. Only a real hypocritical asshole would say it's ok for one company and not others.

Even a moron......like you.......when sober, would understand this:

Using the Pepsi example.....

• Pepsi doing business with Russia since 1971........Good or bad???
  • Trump doing business with Russia.....while running for POTUS ....AND while Russia is under severe sanctions from the U.S.........................................Good or bad???

If you address the two questions above in an honest way, you will have abandoned the Trump cult; otherwise, be one of the morons that will follow the orange clown over the cliff.

Even a moron......like you.......when sober, would understand this:

Using the Pepsi example.....

• Pepsi doing business with Russia since 1971........Good or bad???
  • Trump doing business with Russia.....while running for POTUS ....AND while Russia is under severe sanctions from the U.S.........................................Good or bad???
If you address the two questions above in an honest way, you will have abandoned the Trump cult; otherwise, be one of the morons that will follow the orange clown over the cliff.

OH, forgot to add to the above, Trump's INSISTENCE to everyone, that he has had NO business with Russia ever.......LOL

Forum List

Back