The death of Thanksgiving?

Will you shop on Thanksgiviong Day

• Total voters

Nosmo King

Gold Member
Aug 31, 2009
Buckle of the Rust Belt
More retailers have announced they will open Thanksgiving Day for your shopping pleasure, so to speak. Is this appropriate?

Should Thanksgiving remain a holiday, unique to America, when families gather together to give thanks, share a meal and create their own Thanksgiving memories and traditions? Or should Thanksgiving be a day when Mom or Dad has to excuse himself and go to work because bargains are offered to shoppers readying themselves for a holiday happening four weeks hence?

Will you shop on Thanksgiving, or will you take advantage of the day and enjoy it with family and friends?

Sometimes bargains are not really worth it, don't you think? If they come at the expense of yours or the clerk's family, are they really bargains at all?

I don't shop any other days so why should Thanksgiving be any different?

But if I did, no I wouldn't.

More retailers have announced they will open Thanksgiving Day for your shopping pleasure, so to speak. Is this appropriate?

Should Thanksgiving remain a holiday, unique to America, when families gather together to give thanks, share a meal and create their own Thanksgiving memories and traditions? Or should Thanksgiving be a day when Mom or Dad has to excuse himself and go to work because bargains are offered to shoppers readying themselves for a holiday happening four weeks hence?

Will you shop on Thanksgiving, or will you take advantage of the day and enjoy it with family and friends?

Sometimes bargains are not really worth it, don't you think? If they come at the expense of yours or the clerk's family, are they really bargains at all?

I think businesses should do what they have to, to remain open. Employees need what few jobs are remaining and many are grateful for the extra work and extra hourly wage, the holiday will bring. Some companies are giving their employees the option to opt out of working that day.

We can't enjoy the luxury of a family meal and get together if there isn't the money to cook or to travel. Prosperity has to come first, so the literal gravy train can pour.

I don't like crowds ( unless music is involved ) so I would never go shopping on any holiday.

I will work since I don't take holidays off. I will go out for dinner to a restaurant where people are working. As my usual practice I will thank the server for working on a holiday and leave an extra large tip. Not everyone has a family. Some would rather work than sit home alone. Some appreciate the extra money. Some come from other countries and don't recognize the holiday.

The Hallmark Card image of the happy family gathered aroun the dinner table, for the most part, never got off the card.

Stores advertise ridiculous low prices on certain items and I will get there and they won't have any because there is a limit like six per store. So if I was to go out, I would imagine that people are camping out a couple of hours ahead of time so that would mean that I would have to miss Thanksgiving which is not how I'm going to live, be an example or raise my family that way. I'd just rather not go out if they do that because everything will be picked over and I won't get any good deals. I went to Wallmart one time and what they advertised wasn't even there so who got the deals?

If stores want to give me something at cost then they can always do that but if they want to be ridiculous about that then I don't have to shop there. I hate going out and getting nothing because there wasn't enough. It is not a way to get respect from their customer.

Driving around the holidays are dangerous enough that I don't wish to have accidents just to save a little money.

Thanksgiving for us has traditionally been a time to reconnect with family and enjoy a sumptious repast that we determinably choose not to see as gluttenous. :)

But in all honesty Nosmo, for years I worked for hospitals that required periodic weekend and holiday duty and sometimes my shift would fall on Thanksgiving or Christmas or other special occasion. We just shifted whatever celebrations we had around my schedule at such times. And I appreciated the free time and/or double pay that I got for pulling duty at those times.

And now I don't have that problem, but we have folks come for the food and hugs on Thanksgiving, but an afternoon of sitting around in a stuffed stupor watching football just isn't their bag. So, unless they are into card or board games, they do go out after the noon meal and go to a movie or go shopping or do something else that is more fun for them. I see that as quality family time too and would rather them be enjoying themselves than wishing it all was just over.

Different strokes for different folks. Retailers won't open on Thanksgiving unless there is a proftable result from that and apparently there is. And those folks I know who work in retailing generally do so on a volunteer or short shift basis and they almost always get extra pay or extra time off for pulling that duty. None of them I've talked to mind it at all.

I see where you're coming from and how you're missing the traditions of the past. But almost nothing ever stays the same and judging from activity in the grocery stores ahead of Thanksgiving, I would say Thanksgiving is still being celebrated a lot.

My poor wife works for Wal-Mart and has to put up with the crowds. Fortunately she was moved top the liquor dept. Sam would have a coronary if he knew that his stores were selling booze, cigs and rolling papers.

Last edited:

Thanksgiving for us has traditionally been a time to reconnect with family and enjoy a sumptious repast that we determinably choose not to see as gluttenous. :)

But in all honesty Nosmo, for years I worked for hospitals that required periodic weekend and holiday duty and sometimes my shift would fall on Thanksgiving or Christmas or other special occasion. We just shifted whatever celebrations we had around my schedule at such times. And I appreciated the free time and/or double pay that I got for pulling duty at those times.

And now I don't have that problem, but we have folks come for the food and hugs on Thanksgiving, but an afternoon of sitting around in a stuffed stupor watching football just isn't their bag. So, unless they are into card or board games, they do go out after the noon meal and go to a movie or go shopping or do something else that is more fun for them. I see that as quality family time too and would rather them be enjoying themselves than wishing it all was just over.

Different strokes for different folks. Retailers won't open on Thanksgiving unless there is a proftable result from that and apparently there is. And those folks I know who work in retailing generally do so on a volunteer or short shift basis and they almost always get extra pay or extra time off for pulling that duty. None of them I've talked to mind it at all.

I see where you're coming from and how you're missing the traditions of the past. But almost nothing ever stays the same and judging from activity in the grocery stores ahead of Thanksgiving, I would say Thanksgiving is still being celebrated a lot.
I know there are folks employed at absolutely necessary workplaces like hospitals, fire stations, police precinct headquarters and ambulance services. But should retailers come up to that threshold? Should profits trump family?

I know there are folks employed at absolutely necessary workplaces like hospitals, fire stations, police precinct headquarters and ambulance services. But should retailers come up to that threshold? Should profits trump family?

In the USA profit trumps God.

I do 99.9% of my holiday shopping online. Screw the crowds, screw trying to find a parking spot. Also on thanksgiving day we a lots of family,eating and football. No time for no stinking shopping.

I would not shop on Thanksgiving Day. In my family, Thanksgiving has always been a time to spend with family and friends. It is also a tradition in our family to spend the day eating and watching NFL football. Besides, the wife always winds up dragging me to the mall the following day (on Black Friday). It is not a pretty sight, and a day I dread. Both the parking lot and the mall are always completely full.

Last edited:
What family? Suppose they don't have a family. Suppose they don't like their family. No retailer is dragging customers in or making them go shopping. That's a personal decision.

I would not shop on Thanksgiving Day. In my family, Thanksgiving has always been a time to spend with family and friends. It is also a tradition in our family to spend the day watching NFL football. Besides, the wife always winds up dragging me to the mall the following day (on Black Friday). It is not a pretty sight, and a day I dread. Both the parking lot and the mall are always completely full.

What do you do when someone doesn't like football? Maybe they would rather go shopping.

What family? Suppose they don't have a family. Suppose they don't like their family. No retailer is dragging customers in or making them go shopping. That's a personal decision.
They may not be dragging in customers, but they are dragging in their employees. Just to profit rather than allow their employees a day to do what they wish. And that includes family time.

What happened to "family values"? Does profit trump them? Or does "family values" mean something altogether different from family values?

I would not shop on Thanksgiving Day. In my family, Thanksgiving has always been a time to spend with family and friends. It is also a tradition in our family to spend the day watching NFL football. Besides, the wife always winds up dragging me to the mall the following day (on Black Friday). It is not a pretty sight, and a day I dread. Both the parking lot and the mall are always completely full.

What do you do when someone doesn't like football? Maybe they would rather go shopping.
Everyone in my family likes football, including the Mrs. Same goes for our friends. IMO, going shopping on Thanksgiving would ruin the holiday what with the huge crowds, lack of parking, waiting in line to pay ...etc). So, no I would rather enjoy a nice Thanksgiving with family and close friends, eating and watching football. The Mrs. always prepares a buffet style dinner which includes Turkey and stuffing. This way we can watch the game and eat at the same time (and of course have a few beers). What better way to kick off the Christmas Season.

Before my son I spent it with my dogs and going to a food pantry to give out food or similar place a show my gratitude by helping others. Now I spend it with my boy and the dogs play music and decorate my tree. My shopping is done throughout the year when I see a bargain. Thanksgiving is a state of being rather than a holiday for me.

Before my son I spent it with my dogs and going to a food pantry to give out food or similar place a show my gratitude by helping others. Now I spend it with my boy and the dogs play music and decorate my tree. My shopping is done throughout the year when I see a bargain. Thanksgiving is a state of being rather than a holiday for me.
Decorate your tree? I'm assuming its an artificial tree. I tagged my Christmas tree on the Saturday before Veteran's Day. It's a good time to make a selection. Sometime around the 14th of December I'll go back and have it cut down, shaken and bailed. It goes in the tree stand within 45 minutes of felling it. The freshest tree with the best aroma and it will last looking great until New Year's Day when all the Christmas stuff gets packed away.

Forum List

Back