The Definition of a "Living Wage"

Do you agree with this definition of a Living Wage? (Ignore my personal opinion below it)

• Total voters
Some Americans just need to come to grips with the fact that there is no such thing as a 'Happy Slave.' Continuing to pay them awful wages and treating them miserably, will only lead to more suffering and anger. And it will also lead to more Americans relying on Government Entitlements to survive. So everyone pays in the end.

More Americans need to soften their hearts and see that it's not only about Politics. It's about helping the less fortunate among us. These are our fellow Americans after all. Jesus is speaking to us. And he's saying that we should all stand up for our American Workers. It's time we all listened.
You can't "force" someone to be charitable.

No 'Happy Slaves' my friend. Next time you're at a sweat-shop like Walmart, take a closer look at their Workers' faces. Bitterness & misery is written all over their faces. They actually hate you.

But i bet you're one of those who expects 5-Star Service, huh? 5-Star Service for 1-Star pay. And sadly, that sums up most Americans today. Their greed and appetite for more stuff is insatiable.

That isn't my experience, I find most of the people who work there to be pretty nice. They generally don't work that hard, but they do work. And they tend to be helpful if I ask a question. Working at Walmart seems about right for them.

Ha, 'They generally don't work hard.' Wow, you really are living a jolly ole 'Good Capitalist' fantasy there. They're abused mules. They're only smiling at you because they're required to. They actually hate you. Like i said, there are no 'Happy Slaves.'
How many retail workers do you know? My guess is the spite you see might be that they just don't like their boss or working or their lives. I'd hate to be a single mom working for low wages at a walmart with a bad boss. That said I would not mind being a manager at store with great employees.

Last edited:
Some Americans just need to come to grips with the fact that there is no such thing as a 'Happy Slave.' Continuing to pay them awful wages and treating them miserably, will only lead to more suffering and anger. And it will also lead to more Americans relying on Government Entitlements to survive. So everyone pays in the end.

More Americans need to soften their hearts and see that it's not only about Politics. It's about helping the less fortunate among us. These are our fellow Americans after all. Jesus is speaking to us. And he's saying that we should all stand up for our American Workers. It's time we all listened.

No 'Happy Slaves' my friend. Next time you're at a sweat-shop like Walmart, take a closer look at their Workers' faces. Bitterness & misery is written all over their faces. They actually hate you.

But i bet you're one of those who expects 5-Star Service, huh? 5-Star Service for 1-Star pay. And sadly, that sums up most Americans today. Their greed and appetite for more stuff is insatiable.

That isn't my experience, I find most of the people who work there to be pretty nice. They generally don't work that hard, but they do work. And they tend to be helpful if I ask a question. Working at Walmart seems about right for them.

Ha, 'They generally don't work hard.' Wow, you really are living a jolly ole 'Good Capitalist' fantasy there. They're abused mules. They're only smiling at you because they're required to. They actually hate you. Like i said, there are no 'Happy Slaves.'
How many retail workers do you know?

I know a few. I also have some relatives who worked in Management for Walmart and a few other places. So to say "They generally don't work hard', is absolutely preposterous. They're poor under-paid abused mules. That's the ugly reality. If anyone cares enough to look closer, they'll see that misery is written all over the faces.

"to survive on" Gee, is that the new American Dream?

For someone making minimum wage, yes.

Do they have a right to more than they need to survive without working for it?

"The Right...if not working for it"? First, those who earn minimum wage are in fact working; next, those who earn only minimum wage may not be able to thrive and better their situation unless they rely on government aid.

Most minimum wage jobs require working on ones' feet. Expecting someone to improve their lot in life while working a minimum wage job by attending a Jr. College, or one of the many for profits, is next to impossible given the cost, the time required and likely transportation costs.

Callous conservatives (CC's) oppose welfare and government aid in all forms as well as raising the minimum wage. Many CC regulars on this forum refer to government aid as stealing from them and taking the food off their families table.

I suppose CC's have always existed, but in the recent past they were depicted as snidely whiplash, Nell as a lazy no good leach and Dudley Do-Right as a government agent paid too much who wants to redistribute the wealth. That the ethos in America changed is obvious, and I suspect it all began when the Messiah told the masses, "it's your money", transforming greed from a deadly sin into a virtue.
Many people working minimum wage are part time. They work minimum wage up to 30hrs, the cut off for welfare, then they go home.

I suspect some do, and some also work two or more MW jobs to survive. If an employer does hire and restrict hours to prevent providing healthcare insurance, he or she is the Snidley Wiplash referred to in my post above.

The employee unable to afford healthcare will need government aid. At least now this set of working poor can, in most states, be covered by the PPACA. Those in some states - each of which has a Republican governor - will rely on public hospitals, stressing local resources.

I know a few. I also have some relatives who worked in Management for Walmart and a few other places. So to say "They generally don't work hard', is absolutely preposterous. They're poor under-paid abused mules. That's the ugly reality. If anyone cares enough to look closer, they'll see that misery is written all over the faces.
Interesting. When I did that job I never saw myself as a mule. I enjoyed the work. But then I also like to exercise and I turn work into a game... how much can I get done type stuff. One person's heaven is another person's hell I guess.

I wonder how many more pages of pure spam from the plant it will take before this thread dies?

Interesting. When I did that job I never saw myself as a mule. I enjoyed the work. But then I also like to exercise and I turn work into a game... how much can I get done type stuff. One person's heaven is another person's hell I guess.

Some people have learned to see work as a punishment instead of an important part of life.

Some people have learned to see work as a punishment instead of an important part of life.
And that is why they fail.

That's cool. Good for you. But that's not the case with most under-paid over-worked mules. They're only smiling at you because they're required to. In reality, they basically despise you. And the attitude of the Poster above, plays a big part in that feeling. He actually believes "They don't generally work very hard." He truly believes he should get 5-Star Service for 1-Star Pay. It really is a greedy 'Good Capitalist' delusion.

5-Star Service should = 5-Star Pay. But most Corporations have eliminated the incentive aspect. Pay-increases are very few and far between. And when they do happen, they're laughably minuscule. There's no 'Happy Slaves' man. It ain't gonna happen.

Spam_with_cans.jpeg

Usually liberals are the idiots. Not always.

[I know a few. I also have some relatives who worked in Management for Walmart and a few other places. So to say "They generally don't work hard', is absolutely preposterous. They're poor under-paid abused mules. That's the ugly reality. If anyone cares enough to look closer, they'll see that misery is written all over the faces.

You're pumping an agenda, not sharing an observation. You're full of shit.

According to Ted Cruz, a "living wage" is a wage that:

1. Responds to stimulus,
2. Is capable of reproduction,
3. Consumes,
4. Excretes waste,
5. Adapts to its environment over generations.

No fast food workers in NOLA are making minimum wage. Supply and demand has raised the pay for fast food workers. This is a non-issue that the dems think will buy them votes.

said another way-----------its bullshit.

WRONG

"Some fast food workers in the New Orleans area say they are planning to strike Thursday as part of a nationwide demonstration seeking a $15 per hour minimum wage"

New Orleans fast food workers plan to strike Thursday for 15 minimum wage NOLA.com

I said they are making more than minimum wage. That is true.

1% of the workforce is making minimum wage. Most of them are teens working part time for pocket money. If the minimum wage is raised there will be fewer jobs for those teens, how does that help anyone?

WRONG

"Together, these 3.6 million workers with wages at or below the federal minimum made up 4.7 percent of all hourly paid workers."

Characteristics of Minimum Wage Workers 2012

I stand corrected, I should have said 1% of the population.

Now, tell us how many of them are part time teens making pocket money. Then, if you dare, tell us how many are working 40 hours a week and trying to support a family.

Just to add that Obama spends more on wars than Bush did... And more than half is Obama's.

None of which would have been spent if Bush hadn't put us there in the first place.

both parties in congress authorized and funded the Iraq fiasco. Bush, nor any president, has or had the power to do it on his own. It was a stupid waste, but they are all responsible.

OK, back to minimum wage.

for you who support raising it. If $15/hr is good, why isn't $50/hr better? Should it be the same in NYC and Fargo ND? Should it be the same for a part time teenager and for a single mother of 3? I want real answers, not talking points and left wing rhetoric.

for you who support raising it. If $15/hr is good, why isn't $50/hr better? Should it be the same in NYC and Fargo ND? Should it be the same for a part time teenager and for a single mother of 3? I want real answers, not talking points and left wing rhetoric.

Crickets.

Let's be real, American Worker morale is at an all-time low. Most just don't see any incentive anymore. Corporations have become shamefully greedy and stingy. Pay-raises are very few and far between at this point. And when they do happen, they're laughably minuscule. I mean come on, 'Hey Slave, here's a 10 Cent raise for ya.' Don't spend it all in one place. ;)'

So insulting Workers or just trying to ignore the problem, will not make the problem go away. We need to take care of our People better. Jesus wants that. Period, end of story.

Crickets.

translation = I have no idea how to answer your very logical pertinent question

Forum List

Back