The Definitive Guide to Tipping at Any Restaurant in America

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
TIP.1.daquino.jpg

My parents always tipped our servers and I remember how important they were when my mom worked at the Brown Derby Restaurant.

brownderbywilshire-500x316.jpg

So, it caught me off guard when I went to France and discovered they included the tip in the tab. Leaving a tip was actuallt considered snobbish and even insulting.

So, just to give us a guidline, here are some supposed rules for tipping:

Sit-down restaurants: 20 percent — always.

If you go big on wines: You don’t need to tip 20 percent on whale bottles.

Gratuity-included restaurants: Don’t tip — really!

Food trucks: Add a buck or two.

Bars: Dollar per drink at dives, 20 percent at cocktail bars.

Bakeries and coffee shops: Add a buck or two.

Fast-casual counter service: 20 percent

Delivery: $5 minimum

I don’t know who this author is but I think she’s full of it. Top at a MacDonald’s? You gotta be kidding me.

And, first and foremost, a gratuity is to show ones appreciation for good service. I never hesitate a second to stiff a server who should be shoveling manure instead of bringing food to my table.

Explanations @ Even Without Full Table Service, You Still Need to Tip 20%

Here's the thing: Tipping practice must be coordinated with the Minimum Wage laws. Wait-staff are not subject to the normal minimum wage, because they are PRESUMED to be getting tips sufficient to bring them up at least to the prevailing MW. ONE-SEVENTH or 15% of the tab is the customary tip for acceptable service. More for exceptional service, or if you are tying up the space for longer than would usually be required for a meal. Less means less, but zero is never an option.

For people who ARE subject to MW laws or who are known to make more than MW (e.g., baristas), no tip is ever required, but something may be tossed out for truly exceptional service. As for the Tip Jar, it is an abomination.

Tour guides and bus drivers are a separate case. They often try to give the impression that a substantial tip ($10/day for the guide, and half that for the driver) is near-mandatory. They stand at the foot of the bus (boat) as you leave, so you can't get around them. But i don't buy it. Bus tours are typically very expensive, and as far as I'm concerned, if they aren't adequately compensated by the tour company, that's their problem, not mine. Same for cruise ship staff, although it is almost impossible to avoid that charge.

Pizza delivery? Minimum $5 against 20% of the bill, rounded UP.

I tip my letter carrier and trash collectors at this time of year, but that's just me.

There are some places here that include the gratuity in the tab and I try to stay away from there......only because I see the tip as being a show of good service received. I refuse to tip bad service unless I know either the waitperson is new and still learning, or being overworked for lack of floor help.

If there is plenty of help, they know what they're doing and still can't do it right and/or bad attitude...….no way will I leave a tip

As for waitpersons not being subject to MW......that's true, but I think it only effects those in small Mom & Pop places, and depends on # of employees & their monthly or yearly income. Larger or higher end restaurants and chains, do pay atleast local MW.

20% is only for good service...Middle-of-the-road gets 15% or less.

My tip I believe is always around 15%, but the one thing that will never change is my giving it to the waiter person personally so that it isn't stolen by another worker or customer.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

My tip I believe is always around 15%, but the one thing that will never change is my giving it to the waiter person personally so that it isn't stolen by another worker or customer.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Sadly, for IRS purposes, many establishment require the staff to share tips. That way, they are given 1099 forms to report tips with their taxes.

I always go in expecting to leave a 20% tip but if food, service, etc. fall short I lower it accordingly. Have also gone over 20% now and then when I thought it appropriate.

Forum List

Back