The Dems & the GOP - Peas in a pod, again

Maybe read the first line of the OP again. This isn't about issues, it's about behaviors.
Obviously you can't read.
Having principles isn't an issue.
Ah, your tribe has principles and the other tribe doesn't. Tribalism.

Yeah, that's on the list.

It is completely possible for one group to have principles and the other not.

Your dismissal as though it is not, is not reasonable.
The fact that someone else's principles don't align with yours doesn't mean they don't have principles.

Seriously, I really would think that something this obvious wouldn't even need to be said.

That is obviously true.

But one can judge other people based on how well they live up to those principles. And/or whether those principles are very valid.

ANd it is still possible for one group to have principles and another not to.
Okay, your tribe has principles and the other doesn't.

I'm sold.

I'm not getting into the weeds on the specifics you listed

Which is sad, because one of the reasons I came to USMB was to participate in objective debate about political policy. :auiqs.jpg:Yeah, I know. Mistakes were made.
I mean - I will, with anyone who can hold a frakkin cordial conversation without devolving into the leftist/rightist mega-memes and non-sequitur. There's not many people here who are even capable of doing that.

The fact that someone else's principles don't align with yours doesn't mean they don't have principles.

Seriously, I really would think that something this obvious wouldn't even need to be said.

That is obviously true.

But one can judge other people based on how well they live up to those principles. And/or whether those principles are very valid.

Okay, your tribe has principles and the other doesn't.

I'm sold.

Snideness is not a virtue.

Republicans have core principles while Democrats have none.
Democrats support fascism, chaos, and anarchy while Republicans support peace and freedom.
Democrats are Antisemitic while Republicans support Israel.
Maybe read the first line of the OP again. This isn't about issues, it's about behaviors.

Really? Isn't that the very example of tribalism you're reinforcing?

Most everyone has principles.

Claiming that my tribe does and yours doesn't is an example of tribalism.

There are simple facts in politics that we have to face up to.
There are always exceptions, but for the most part, most of the degenerates vote for the commies in the Democrat Party. Purely out of hatred for someone or something.

BTW, I don't usually react to posters who are Fisking my postings.

Well then I bow to your gracious acknowledgement of my existence. Always remember: I fisk because I care.

I am making an exception here to clarify: When I am talking about Democrats and the GOP, I am talking about politicians, mostly on the federal level.

Then you might want to add that clarification to your signature or something ever since the mind reading function on USMB was disabled due to ruthless attacks from Russian hackers.

The brawlers here are not what I am talking about (all that much), and I doubt Mac does when he takes on "wingers".

That seems like something for Mac to answer. Opinions regarding his motivations will be subjective, but that isn't really the point.

I agree. Thus, it most assuredly does need to be said, no matter how depressing that realization is.

I think you sort of re-enforced my point in stating that getting things done requires leadership.

I'm not getting into the weeds on the specifics you listed or what I do and don't agree with, but the underlying premise is that the majority want something and aren't getting it because of partisan politics in Washington. That's a lack of true leadership.

While I don't think I underestimate the import of leadership, I am also enormously wary of it. Lack of leadership may play a role, but it's just one, and probably not the most important, of the reasons why the majority doesn't get what they would support. The plutocracy's death grip, in my view, is way more important. Owning the GOP, and also a significant part of the Democratic party, gives them a veto over pretty much everything counter to their interests. But, but, "true leadership", you say. Doesn't mean a thing if most of the rest of the country runs into the opposite direction, which is why I find your hope or expectation misplaced.

There are always exceptions, but for the most part, most of the degenerates vote for the commies in the Democrat Party. Purely out of hatred for someone or something.

There are always exceptions, but for the most part, most of the ___________ vote for the _________ in the _____________ Party. Purely out of hatred for someone or something.

Thanks. Way to unknowingly nail the point of the OP, genius.

I think you sort of re-enforced my point in stating that getting things done requires leadership.

I'm not getting into the weeds on the specifics you listed or what I do and don't agree with, but the underlying premise is that the majority want something and aren't getting it because of partisan politics in Washington. That's a lack of true leadership.

While I don't think I underestimate the import of leadership, I am also enormously wary of it. Lack of leadership may play a role, but it's just one, and probably not the most important, of the reasons why the majority doesn't get what they would support. The plutocracy's death grip, in my view, is way more important. Owning the GOP, and also a significant part of the Democratic party, gives them a veto over pretty much everything counter to their interests. But, but, "true leadership", you say. Doesn't mean a thing if most of the rest of the country runs into the opposite direction, which is why I find your hope or expectation misplaced.
Another misread. I didn't imply a hope or expectation at all - I don't give maybe 2 shits about partisan political neener-neenering.

I live my life, and it's stable. If something from the Gov't destabilizes it, maybe I'll take their in-fighting phony little circus seriously.

Another misread. I didn't imply a hope or expectation at all - I don't give maybe 2 shits about partisan political neener-neenering.

I live my life, and it's stable. If something from the Gov't destabilizes it, maybe I'll take their in-fighting phony little circus seriously.

I actually thought what appeared to be a complaint about a "lack of true leadership" would imply the hope for more or better. Sorry for the misreading.

• Thanks
Reactions: GT

That is obviously true.

However, the left clearly has values. They are not hard to see. That they may be wrong or misplaced is another matter. However, it is genuinely blind to state that they have none.

Policy people

THAT is what matters. Behavior is a DISTANT 2nd place.
Leadership is the driver that gets us Policy. When the Potus is some sorta goofy salesman/celebrity, the partisans are gunna have a field day of either fan-worshipping or vehemently opposing him(or her), and not give any middle ground because the partisan-sphere requires a tragedy for middle-ground to occur, shy of a truly inspiring person in a Leadership position.
Every president is "opposed" by half the people in congress. Good ideas/bad ideas don't change because someone can wrangle cats.

Again, almost the only thing that matters is policy.

And more often than not what gets us policy is a majority by either party.

Gridlock is mostly a good thing imo. Can't fuck up what you don't control.

Nutters like that assume that if you're not 100% with them, you can only be 100% against them.

I didn't assume that, or imply it in any way, so I wonder why you chose to tell that lie. Oh, that's right, you had to run from my point somehow.
He likely said it because it is exactly what you did when you posted this:

"Mac can always be counted on to dutifully parrot whatever GOP spin that TheParty feeds him. The ironic thing is how his favorite parrot line is about how Democrats can't think.'

Which was directly quoted in the exchange and you cut the quote out before trying to call him a liar. You should have tried harder.
What you're doing is like saying "Mother Teresa and Charles Manson both breathed air, so they were exactly alike!". By ignoring obvious differences and focusing on trivial similarities, that's being wildly dishonest on behalf of Charles Manson. In exactly the same way, you are being wildly dishonest in favor of Republicans.

The two sides are very different. The Right is overwhelmingly dishonest, the left isn't. The right is authoritarian, the left isn't. The right is corrupt, the left isn't. The right is hypocritical, the left isn't. The right is immoral, the left isn't. The right is violent, the left isn't. And so on. (I'm not speaking in absolutes, I'm speaking in the general case. While you can find individual leftists who share those flaws somewhere, they policies are not institutionalized on the left, as they are with Trump and the right.)
And then proceed to prove every contention that he made. Funny how when the left is ALL of those things it is individuals but when the right is those things it is institutional and representative of the whole. It takes a special kind of lunacy to have such hate for so many people.
Why not just tell the truth, that the Democrats are much better than Republicans? You might find such honesty refreshing. Get a load off of your soul and lose the phony equivalence act.
Because that is not truth - it is bullshit. Both parties are filled with their share of bullshit. The fact that you cannot see the bullshit on one side is exactly what MAC is getting at in this thread from what I can tell.

There are always exceptions, but for the most part, most of the ___________ vote for the _________ in the _____________ Party. Purely out of hatred for someone or something.

Thanks. Way to unknowingly nail the point of the OP, genius.
It just doesn't stop, y'know?

Forum List

Back