The Dirty Little Truth About the Minimum Wage

Boss

Take a Memo:
Apr 21, 2012
Birmingham, AL
Most of you, like myself, have learned about the Great Depression through the prism of public education. We were taught that FDR came into office, implemented his New Deal policies and saved the day... Right? Or, at least that's the way it is portrayed. The actual reality is quite different. As we get older and go to college, we are able to read different accounts of what happened and we learn that many of his policies actually prolonged the Great Depression. In fact, many argue that it might not have ever been a "Great" depression if not for some of the things he did early on. Some have even speculated that if not for WWII, we may have never pulled ourselves out of the death spiral we were in. All of this stuff is highly debatable but I want to focus on just one policy that FDR enacted which is still with us today, and is still being paraded around by Progressives as something great and wonderful... The Federal Minimum Wage mandate.

It is interesting to note what FDR said on the day he signed this legislation into law. He said: "no business which depends for existence on paying less than living wages to its workers has any right to continue in this country." That was June 16, 1933. Some 83 years later, we have Progressive politicians out there screaming the same line. So, why has this policy not effectively worked to produce what was promised 83 years ago? The Progressives will say that we just haven't raised it enough. So we ask them, how much do you think we need to raise it? They tell us and we raise it. A few years go by and we're once again having the debate and the Progressives are again claiming we didn't raise it enough. For 83 years, we've chased the carrot on the stick in hopes of attaining this elusive "living wage" that will finally solve all our problems. It never does.

In her book, The Forgotten Man: A New History of the Great Depression, author Amity Shlaes makes a revealing and scathing discovery behind the idea of the minimum wage. This is the basis of what I want to talk about here today. While we have always been taught to believe the minimum wage was FDR's attempt to force companies to pay employees a decent wage, that's not the whole truth. Yes, there were some companies exploiting the conditions at the time to profit on the backs of desperate people. We've all watched Grapes of Wrath, we all know the horror stories... Progressives are good at emoting the worst case scenarios. But there were also people like Henry Ford who paid his employees well above the national average because he wanted them to be able to afford his product.

So what is the dirty little secret the Progressives fail to mention? Well, you have to remember, after the stock market crashed in 1929, millions and millions of people were laid off. Unemployment skyrocketed across the nation. This literally affected just about every family in the country. And if you weren't a laborer who earned a paycheck, you were probably a farmer and your plight was even worse. Because of the protectionist tariffs applied by Hoover, a tariff war had devastated agriculture and then came the droughts. So everyone was in bad shape across the board. Also keep in mind, we were not a very homogeneous society back then, there was a great deal of blatant racism and discrimination. Because of the lean financial situation, a lot of capitalists were looking for the cheapest way to provide labor and they found the black man was not afraid to work long hours for meager wages. They seemed to be much more productive for the low wages they demanded... more bang for the buck.

Now here is a trivia question for you... When was the last time black unemployment was lower than white unemployment in the US? Progressives are good at feeding you the propaganda that blacks have always had historically higher unemployment than whites, but that's not true. Shlaes points out, according to the 1930 census data, black unemployment was lower than white unemployment. The implementation of the Federal Minimum Wage was quite simply a measure to improve employment for whites at the expense of blacks. The year following the implementation of this law, we find black unemployment was double that of whites. Companies were not forced to hire black people, there were no laws protecting them from discrimination at the time. So when faced with the prospect of either hiring a black man or white man at the same mandated wage, they typically went with the white man. The Minimum Wage, so proudly promoted by Progressives to this day, was an abhorrently racist policy designed to improve employment opportunity for whites over blacks and minorities.

And just as in days past, the insistence on increasing the minimum wage is doing nothing for the unskilled worker, the low-education minorities, the working poor. When a capitalist is faced with having to hire people at a higher rate, they are going to naturally look at the more-skilled, higher-educated prospects first. And the first people to get the ax when they have to cut jobs are those who are lacking in those areas. So even though we now have all kinds of laws against discrimination based on race, the minimum wage continues to be a racist policy that ensures better job opportunity for skilled whites over lesser-skilled blacks and minorities. All the while, we are being pumped full of lies and propaganda from the Progressives.

Last edited:
Most of you, like myself, have learned about the Great Depression through the prism of public education. We were taught that FDR came into office, implemented his New Deal policies and saved the day... Right? Or, at least that's the way it is portrayed. The actual reality is quite different. As we get older and go to college, we are able to read different accounts of what happened and we learn that many of his policies actually prolonged the Great Depression.

I know you done heard that on Hate Radio, Cleetus.

The problem is, no professional or accredited Historian subscribes to that view.

But I'm sure you learned that in the college you went to right after they told you about the Talking Snake.

Now here is a trivia question for you... When was the last time black unemployment was lower than white unemployment in the US? Progressives are good at feeding you the propaganda that blacks have always had historically higher unemployment than whites, but that's not true. Shlaes points out, according to the 1930 census data, black unemployment was lower than white unemployment.

That's not true, either. The fact you think a hack like Amity Shlaes is credible is part of your problem.

Now, here's the thing. In 1930, (besides the fact they weren't very good at keeping economic data) yes, most blacks worked in agriculture and most whites worked in Manufacturing... so of course Whites were going to get hit harder when the economy collapsed.

Most of you, like myself, have learned about the Great Depression through the prism of public education. We were taught that FDR came into office, implemented his New Deal policies and saved the day... Right? Or, at least that's the way it is portrayed. The actual reality is quite different. As we get older and go to college, we are able to read different accounts of what happened and we learn that many of his policies actually prolonged the Great Depression.

The problem is, no professional or accredited Historian subscribes to that view.

But I'm sure you learned that in the college you went to right after they told you about the Talking Snake.
We know you learned that in your on-line degree, tool.....

Basket weaving?

someday, little timmy, you'll contribute something to a thread.

Today isn't that day. Tomorrow isn't looking promising.

Okay, back to the subject of the OP, which is typical right wing "Greed is Good" and the last thing you want is people voting for wealth redistribution.

The reality is, FDR saved the economy without plunging the country into fascism or authoritarianism. and when WWII was over, we were in a position where our well compensated, unionized middle class created the greatest standard of living the world had ever seen up to that point.

Until Republicans came along and fucked it up.

William Wascher, a Federal Reserve Board economist, agrees with the view that minimum wage is harmful to the poor. I am a progressive who opposes minimum wage increases at this time as well. That is part of my reason to the extent that it be a national wage increase. It would also disproportionately harm lower income communities. If Seattle wants a $15 wage then let them have it, but don't make some little town raise it to $15 because Seattle can afford it. The larger part for me though is that increased consumption further degrades the environment and adds nothing to society other than pollution and garbage.

The actual reality is quite different. As we get older and go to college, we are able to read different accounts of what happened and we learn that many of his policies actually prolonged the Great Depression.

The above, from the same right wingers who claim that college education is run by leftist professors that pollute the mind of naive conservative students? LOL

Nice to see the Progressives lining up to take their cheap little pot shots and NOT refute the OP.

Joey the closet racist: That's not true, either. Blah blah.. smear, lie... they weren't very good at keeping economic data... most blacks worked in agriculture and most whites worked in manufacturing... so of course... you're absolutely correct, Boss and I can't refute your argument but I can spin like hell!

Joey, the Department of Labor didn't start tracking quarterly unemployment until the mid 30s. But the United States Census Bureau conducted a census every 10 years, which is what Shlaes references. According to the census in 1930, black unemployment was lower than white unemployment. Within a few years, following passage of the MW, black unemployment was DOUBLE that of whites. This had ZERO to do with manufacturing vs. agriculture. This was totally the result of the MW law passed by your racist hero FDR to help white Americans with job opportunities at the expense of blacks and minorities.

It was a racist policy then and it's still a racist policy today... and YOU support it emphatically because you're a little closet racist.

Most of you, like myself, have learned about the Great Depression through the prism of public education. We were taught that FDR came into office, implemented his New Deal policies and saved the day... Right? Or, at least that's the way it is portrayed. The actual reality is quite different. As we get older and go to college, we are able to read different accounts of what happened and we learn that many of his policies actually prolonged the Great Depression. In fact, many argue that it might not have ever been a "Great" depression if not for some of the things he did early on. Some have even speculated that if not for WWII, we may have never pulled ourselves out of the death spiral we were in. All of this stuff is highly debatable but I want to focus on just one policy that FDR enacted which is still with us today, and is still being paraded around by Progressives as something great and wonderful... The Federal Minimum Wage mandate.

It is interesting to note what FDR said on the day he signed this legislation into law. He said: "no business which depends for existence on paying less than living wages to its workers has any right to continue in this country." That was June 16, 1933. Some 83 years later, we have Progressive politicians out there screaming the same line. So, why has this policy not effectively worked to produce what was promised 83 years ago? The Progressives will say that we just haven't raised it enough. So we ask them, how much do you think we need to raise it? They tell us and we raise it. A few years go by and we're once again having the debate and the Progressives are again claiming we didn't raise it enough. For 83 years, we've chased the carrot on the stick in hopes of attaining this elusive "living wage" that will finally solve all our problems. It never does.

In her book, The Forgotten Man: A New History of the Great Depression, author Amity Shlaes makes a revealing and scathing discovery behind the idea of the minimum wage. This is the basis of what I want to talk about here today. While we have always been taught to believe the minimum wage was FDR's attempt to force companies to pay employees a decent wage, that's not the whole truth. Yes, there were some companies exploiting the conditions at the time to profit on the backs of desperate people. We've all watched Grapes of Wrath, we all know the horror stories... Progressives are good at emoting the worst case scenarios. But there were also people like Henry Ford who paid his employees well above the national average because he wanted them to be able to afford his product.

So what is the dirty little secret the Progressives fail to mention? Well, you have to remember, after the stock market crashed in 1929, millions and millions of people were laid off. Unemployment skyrocketed across the nation. This literally effected just about every family in the country. And if you weren't a laborer who earned a paycheck, you were probably a farmer and your plight was even worse. Because of the protectionist tariffs applied by Hoover, a tariff war had devastated agriculture and then came the droughts. So everyone was in bad shape across the board. Also keep in mind, we were not a very homogeneous society back then, there was a great deal of blatant racism and discrimination. Because of the lean financial situation, a lot of capitalists were looking for the cheapest way to provide labor and they found the black man was not afraid to work long hours for meager wages. They seemed to be much more productive for the low wages they demanded... more bang for the buck.

Now here is a trivia question for you... When was the last time black unemployment was lower than white unemployment in the US? Progressives are good at feeding you the propaganda that blacks have always had historically higher unemployment than whites, but that's not true. Shlaes points out, according to the 1930 census data, black unemployment was lower than white unemployment. The implementation of the Federal Minimum Wage was quite simply a measure to improve employment for whites at the expense of blacks. The year following the implementation of this law, we find black unemployment was double that of whites. Companies were not forced to hire black people, there were no laws protecting them from discrimination at the time. So when faced with the prospect of either hiring a black man or white man at the same mandated wage, they typically went with the white man. The Minimum Wage, so proudly promoted by Progressives to this day, was an abhorrently racist policy designed to improve employment opportunity for whites over blacks and minorities.

And just as in days past, the insistence on increasing the minimum wage is doing nothing for the unskilled worker, the low-education minorities, the working poor. When a capitalist is faced with having to hire people at a higher rate, they are going to naturally look at the more-skilled, higher-educated prospects first. And the first people to get the ax when they have to cut jobs are those who are lacking in those areas. So even though we now have all kinds of laws against discrimination based on race, the minimum wage continues to be a racist policy that ensures better job opportunity for skilled whites over lesser-skilled blacks and minorities. All the while, we are being pumped full of lies and propaganda from the Progressives.
Very informative and nicely done.

Your word for the day is AFFECTED.

Note EFFECTED.

Otherwise nice essay.

af·fect·ed
əˈfektəd/
adjective
adjective: affected
  1. 1.
    influenced or touched by an external factor.
    "apply moist heat to the affected area"
  2. 2.
    artificial, pretentious, and designed to impress.
    "the gesture appeared both affected and stagy"
    synonyms: pretentious, artificial, contrived, unnatural, stagy, actorly, studied, mannered, ostentatious; More
    insincere, unconvincing, feigned, false, fake, sham, simulated;
    informalla-di-da, phony, pretend, put on
    "that affected voice of his really grates on me"
    antonyms: natural, unpretentious, genuine
  3. 3.
    archaic
    disposed or inclined in a specified way.
    "you might become differently affected toward him"

Nice to see the Progressives lining up to take their cheap little pot shots and NOT refute the OP.

Joey the closet racist: That's not true, either. Blah blah.. smear, lie... they weren't very good at keeping economic data... most blacks worked in agriculture and most whites worked in manufacturing... so of course... you're absolutely correct, Boss and I can't refute your argument but I can spin like hell!

Joey, the Department of Labor didn't start tracking quarterly unemployment until the mid 30s. But the United States Census Bureau conducted a census every 10 years, which is what Shlaes references. According to the census in 1930, black unemployment was lower than white unemployment. Within a few years, following passage of the MW, black unemployment was DOUBLE that of whites. This had ZERO to do with manufacturing vs. agriculture. This was totally the result of the MW law passed by your racist hero FDR to help white Americans with job opportunities at the expense of blacks and minorities.

It was a racist policy then and it's still a racist policy today... and YOU support it emphatically because you're a little closet racist.
I gues 1930 was a good time to be black then.

I am guessing they (the blacks) were already being exploited back then and they had already learned how to cope with it. Just guessing. That was a long time ago.

William Wascher, a Federal Reserve Board economist, agrees with the view that minimum wage is harmful to the poor. I am a progressive who opposes minimum wage increases at this time as well. That is part of my reason to the extent that it be a national wage increase. It would also disproportionately harm lower income communities. If Seattle wants a $15 wage then let them have it, but don't make some little town raise it to $15 because Seattle can afford it. The larger part for me though is that increased consumption further degrades the environment and adds nothing to society other than pollution and garbage.
All these John Birch Society notions about the minimum wage are hilarious.

"I got nuthin"

Basket weaving?

someday, little timmy, you'll contribute something to a thread.

Today isn't that day. Tomorrow isn't looking promising.

Okay, back to the subject of the OP, which is typical right wing "Greed is Good" and the last thing you want is people voting for wealth redistribution.

The reality is, FDR saved the economy without plunging the country into fascism or authoritarianism. and when WWII was over, we were in a position where our well compensated, unionized middle class created the greatest standard of living the world had ever seen up to that point.

Until Republicans came along and fucked it up.
Gluttony, greed, sloth, envy, wrath, pride, and lust.

It is unfortunate that we must unleash greed in order to motivate capitalist markets in a capitalist society.

So what is the dirty little secret the Progressives fail to mention? Well, you have to remember, after the stock market crashed in 1929, millions and millions of people were laid off. Unemployment skyrocketed across the nation. This literally effected just about every family in the country. And if you weren't a laborer who earned a paycheck, you were probably a farmer and your plight was even worse. Because of the protectionist tariffs applied by Hoover, a tariff war had devastated agriculture and then came the droughts. So everyone was in bad shape across the board. Also keep in mind, we were not a very homogeneous society back then, there was a great deal of blatant racism and discrimination. Because of the lean financial situation, a lot of capitalists were looking for the cheapest way to provide labor and they found the black man was not afraid to work long hours for meager wages. They seemed to be much more productive for the low wages they demanded... more bang for the buck.

Very informative and nicely done.

Your word for the day is AFFECTED.

Note EFFECTED.

Otherwise nice essay.

af·fect·ed
əˈfektəd/
adjective
adjective: affected
  1. 1.
    influenced or touched by an external factor.
    "apply moist heat to the affected area"
  2. 2.
    artificial, pretentious, and designed to impress.
    "the gesture appeared both affected and stagy"
    synonyms: pretentious, artificial, contrived, unnatural, stagy, actorly, studied, mannered, ostentatious; More
    insincere, unconvincing, feigned, false, fake, sham, simulated;
    informalla-di-da, phony, pretend, put on
    "that affected voice of his really grates on me"
    antonyms: natural, unpretentious, genuine
  3. 3.
    archaic
    disposed or inclined in a specified way.
    "you might become differently affected toward him"

"No one here but us chickens."

The minimum wage peaked in 1968. You lose.

If Seattle wants a $15 wage then let them have it, but don't make some little town raise it to $15 because Seattle can afford it. The larger part for me though is that increased consumption further degrades the environment and adds nothing to society other than pollution and garbage.

That's even worse actually. Rich cities are using high minimum wage to run the poor out of town and gentrify. And the sick irony is that after they do that they'll use the artificial increase in average wage (due to the exodus of the working poor) as proof of their success!

Last edited:

All these John Birch Society notions about the minimum wage are hilarious.

Then go somewhere and giggle like a school girl

Forum List

Back