The earth is how old?

You too are falling for the progressive media pigeon holing everyone into the same beliefs and value sets.

Why can't reasonable people disagree about some things without being vilified any longer?

The operative word there is "reasonable".

The belief the world is only 6K years old is not reasonable. It's irrational.

Well of course, if anyone thinks or believes differently than you they are irrational, that doesn't surprise.
Who gives a fuck what someone else believes? What policy has Rubio tried to advance based on his belief of how old the fuckin world is?

He's on the Science committee for shit sake. A man on the science committee should be able to at least correctly answer how old the goddamn planet is.

[

Well of course, if anyone thinks or believes differently than you they are irrational, that doesn't surprise.
Who gives a fuck what someone else believes? What policy has Rubio tried to advance based on his belief of how old the fuckin world is?

No, it's an irrational belief because ALL the science proves it wrong.

For instance, if I said I believed in Santa Claus at 50, that would be an irrational belief. Not only because at this age, I should realize it is impossible for one guy to deliver presents to millions of children in one night, but because we have satallites that show there is no vast workshop of underpaid elven slave labor making toys. Further, if I ignored the evidence of my own eyes that parents are buying those presents, not a fat man in a red suit, I would be willfully ignorant.

We know through atomic dating, archeology, evolution, and so on, that the Earth really is billions of years old, that the evolution of life has changed over many eons, and frankly, believing a bronze age fairy story is ignoring a lot of evidence.

So one can only come to one of two conclusions.

1) Rubio really ignores all the evidence to believe fairy stories. This disqualifies him from the presidency because if he can't get basic stuff right, how are we going to trust him on the bigger, tougher decisions?

2) Rubio is simply pandering to the lowest common denominator- This makes him a pretty unethical person, and as far as I'm concerned, ALSO disqualifies him.

2 Peter 3 (New International Version)

The Day of the Lord

3 Above all, you must understand that in the last days scoffers will come, scoffing and following their own evil desires. 4 They will say, “Where is this ‘coming’ he promised? Ever since our ancestors died, everything goes on as it has since the beginning of creation.” 5 But they deliberately forget that long ago by God’s word the heavens came into being and the earth was formed out of water and by water. 6 By these waters also the world of that time was deluged and destroyed. 7 By the same word the present heavens and earth are reserved for fire, being kept for the day of judgment and destruction of the ungodly.

8 But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. 9 The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.

We were warned about you people...

The Day of the Lord

3 Above all, you must understand that in the last days scoffers will come, scoffing and following their own evil desires. 4 They will say, “Where is this ‘coming’ he promised? Ever since our ancestors died, everything goes on as it has since the beginning of creation.” 5 But they deliberately forget that long ago by God’s word the heavens came into being and the earth was formed out of water and by water. 6 By these waters also the world of that time was deluged and destroyed. 7 By the same word the present heavens and earth are reserved for fire, being kept for the day of judgment and destruction of the ungodly.

8 But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. 9 The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.

Yes, it's easy to make excuses when your sky pixie never keeps his promises due to not existing.

He's on the Science committee for shit sake. A man on the science committee should be able to at least correctly answer how old the goddamn planet is.

Are there all scientists on the science committee?

Standing for what he believes disqualifies him from nothing but being a democrat because he's willing to do the difficult and stand for what he believes.

If believing in backwards ass superstitions is what he stands for, I want no part of him.

He never said anything about religion though. From his answer, there's really no way to tell what religion, if any, he is.

Standing for what he believes disqualifies him from nothing but being a democrat because he's willing to do the difficult and stand for what he believes.

If believing in backwards ass superstitions is what he stands for, I want no part of him.

He never said anything about religion though. From his answer, there's really no way to tell what religion, if any, he is.

Um, not really.

The very fact he says that there's a difference of opinion says that there is.

One based on solid, proven science.

One based on Bronze Age Fairy Stories.

The Day of the Lord

Yes, it's easy to make excuses when your sky pixie never keeps his promises due to not existing.

This is where you fail, Joe. He keeps ALL of His promises. The only people that are disappointed are those like you who expect Him to make life EASY for you when that was NEVER what He promised.

John 16:33 “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

The Bible does not say the earth was created 6,000 years ago. There is nothing in religion that precludes any scientific method of determining the age of the earth.

Who buried all those bones and made them test millions of years old?

2 Peter 3:8 But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. 9 The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.

When eternity is your perspective time becomes very subjective...

Who buried all those bones and made them test millions of years old?

2 Peter 3:8 But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. 9 The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.

When eternity is your perspective time becomes very subjective...
So you answer my question with a bible quote?

I'm pretty sure GOP committee assignments are meant to be ironic. This is the party that put a guy who can't do math in charge of its House budget committee.

Yea, who cares about the debt, unemployment, wars and the growth of government? It's how old you think the earth might be that's REALLY important....:doubt:

If I were in Rubio's shoes I would have looked at the person and said" now what kind of stupid question is THAT?....It has no relevance to the issues facing our nation!"
Rubio made the mistake of allowing himself to forced to answer a pigeonhole question.
The non religious answer is roughly 4.5 billion years.
There is just far too much scientific evidence that indicates this is true. Let the religious hold on to their beliefs. Beliefs are just that.

Um, not really.

The very fact he says that there's a difference of opinion says that there is.

One based on solid, proven science.

One based on Bronze Age Fairy Stories.

Nothing in science says there is no difference of opinion. After all, if you go outside the Christian religion, all others have their own opinions on the age of the earth. Hindus have their own story of creation.

Before this time (which is believed to have stared at midday in Hinduism) began, there was no heaven, no earth and no space between. A vast dark ocean washed upon the shores of nothingness and licked the edges of the night.
A giant cobra floated on the waters. Asleep within its endless coils lay the Lord Vishnu. He was watched over by the mighty serpent. Everything was so peaceful and silent that Vishnu slept undisturbed by dreams motion. From the depths a humming sound began to tremble, Ohm. It grew and spread, filling the emptiness and throbbing with energy.
The night had ended, Vishnu awoke. As the dawn began to break, from Vishnu's navel grew a magnificent lotus flower. In the middle of the blossom sat Vishnu's servant, Brahma. He awaited the Lord's command.
Vishnu spoke to his servant: 'It is time to begin.' Brahma bowed. Vishnu commanded: 'Create the World.' A wind swept up the waters. Vishnu and the serpent vanished.
Brahma remained in the lotus flower, floating and tossing on the sea. He lifted up his arms and calmed the wind and the ocean.
Then Brahma split the lotus flower into three. He stretched one part into the heavens. He made another part into the earth. With the third part of the flower he created the skies.
The earth was bare. Brahma set to work. He created grass, flowers, trees and plants of all kinds. To these he gave feeling. Next he created the animals and the insects to live on the land. He made birds and many fish. To all these creatures, he gave the senses of touch and smell. He gave them power to see, hear and move. The world was soon bristling with life and the air was filled with the sounds of Brahma's creation.
The earth was created from the interaction between ether, one of the gross elements, and sound. This universe which is one of many has three parts, the heavenly planets, the lower worlds, and the earthly realm.

Does a scientific opinion negate this opinion?

If you look at the timeline of creation, the skies, the plants and animals, you will see the similarities between ALL stories of creation, scientific and religious. The methodology might differ, but they are essentially the same.

Forum List

Back