🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

The earthquakes in Oklahoma and Kansas

deepthunk

Justadude with a keyboard
Feb 19, 2011
Lately I have heard a lot of issue from environmental groups who have been claiming that the energy industry using hydraulic fracturing (fracking) is causing these earthquakes, however earthquakes are not occurring in other areas where franking is being used even more frequently. [1]

Well, I freely admit to not being a geologist, however I have a laymen’s theory I’d like to lay out there and I was wondering if anyone who is educated in geology could give me some feedback.

There are natural faults in Oklahoma that have been known to have caused earthquakes, the earliest of which that was recorded was in 1918, long before any “fracking” ever occurred.[2] Until recently the faults have been quiet but have become more active, as faults in the earth’s crust sometimes do, environmentalist believe that the fracking is somehow causing the faults to be more active, but I have another theory.

Area’s of geological instability such as volcanoes and hot springs are caused by geothermal uprisings in the magma beneath the earths crust. This is because of thermal convection, magma, like water, rises when it heats and sinks when it cools, so magma sets up vertical currents as it gains heat in the pressure near the earth’s core, and then sinks as it loses heat to the crust causing vertical currents circulating from the planets core to up to the bottom of the crust and back again.

In area’s where the magma rises it puts pressure on the underside of the crust and pushes magma up high enough in the crust to cause hot springs and volcano’s.

Because of plate tectonics, the earth’s crust is drifting slowly over these rising currents from east to west, that’s why for example the Hawaiian islands form a chain running from east to west, the Atlantic plate is moving slowly west over the rising current causing magma to be pushed up farther eastward on the plate which is why the islands progress in age from the oldest on the west to the youngest on the east. [3] The same is true of hot springs; rising magma beneath the earth’s crust pushes up into it and heats the water table.

There are a number of hot springs in Colorado and New Mexico, indicating that there is a magma uprising directly to the west of Oklahoma and Kansas [4] As the north American plate drifts to the west, it very slowly moves over that that uprising just as the Atlantic plate does beneath Hawaii.

The rising current of magma continually puts pressure on the bottom of the crust, like as if you were to put a jack beneath the ice of a frozen pond and use it to push upward on the ice causing the ice to bow slightly and crack.

I think that as the north American plate drifts slowly westward, the uprising in magma puts pressure on the underside of the plate farther and farther eastward, creating the energy witch is causing the previously less active faults under Oklahoma and Kansas to slowly grow more and more active, this is possibly why all such faults grow more and less active over long periods of time.

So if anyone actually reads that whole essay, tell me, am I way off base, or could there be some validity here?

[1] Environmentalists Fear Fracking Causing Earthquakes - Eagle Rising

[2] Oklahoma

[3] The Hawaiian Islands

[4] Colorado Hot Springs and New Mexico Hot Springs and Mineral Baths Discover New Mexico

Earlier this month, a study published in the journal Science found what it called a clear link between wastewater wells and earthquakes.

Is Fracking To Blame For Increase In Quakes In Oklahoma NPR

WERTHEIMER: Before we get to the study, could we have just a little bit of background here, Joe? What are these disposal wells that we're talking about?

WERTZ: Well, when you drill for oil and gas, you get a lot of wastewater. When the oil and gas comes to the service, it brings a lot of wastewater with it. And oil and gas companies need to pump that wastewater thousands of feet underground to lock it under layers of rock to keep it away from the water table. Oklahoma has more than 10,000 of these disposal wells.

WERTHEIMER: OK. Then let's get back to the study, which was done by Katie Keranen. She's a research seismologist at Cornell University. She looked at an area experiencing a lot of quakes very near where you are, Joe - the town of Jones, a small town just northeast of Oklahoma City. Tell us what she found.

WERTZ: Well, more than 2,500 earthquakes have shaken this area since 2008, which accounts for about 20 percent of the quakes in the middle of the United States. Most of these disposal wells don't cause quakes, but the earthquakes near Jones could have been caused by a handful of high-volume wells, where millions of barrels of water are pumped every month. What Keranen found is twofold. First, she found that wastewater pumped into the ground can travel a lot farther than initially thought and that it builds up pressure all along the way on its path. And this pressure can cause fault lines to slip and trigger an earthquake.

but the earthquakes near Jones could have been caused by a handful of high-volume wells, where millions of

Key word could have,not they have,but could have.

Earlier this month, a study published in the journal Science found what it called a clear link between wastewater wells and earthquakes.

I would have to respectfully disagree with the findings of said study, primarily because there higher densities of fracking in other area’s including for example, North Dakota and Texas, that have seen no increase in geological activity. If you check the map of seismic activity in fact, North Dakota has no earthquakes at all.

Furthermore, as you can see on this map of seismic activity http://eatonberube.com/images/earthquake-hazard-map.png that the earthquakes are not centered around Jones, which is northeast of Oklahoma city, the center of the activity increase is far to the southwest around Anadarko or chickasha, Jones is actually on the clusters outer edge.

If the fractures spiders outwards from the wells and the fractures are the cause of the earthquakes the the well in question should be at the activity cluster's center, not way out on its very edge.

I would have to respectfully disagree with the findings of said study, primarily because there higher densities of fracking in other area’s including for example, North Dakota and Texas, that have seen no increase in geological activity. If you check the map of seismic activity in fact, North Dakota has no earthquakes at all.

Furthermore, as you can see on this map of seismic activity http://eatonberube.com/images/earthquake-hazard-map.png that the earthquakes are not centered around Jones, which is northeast of Oklahoma city, the center of the activity increase is far to the southwest around Anadarko or chickasha, Jones is actually on the clusters outer edge.

If the fractures spiders outwards from the wells and the fractures are the cause of the earthquakes the the well in question should be at the activity cluster's center, not way out on its very edge.

One of the points of the study is that it is the disposal of the waste water from the fracking, not the process of fracking itself. They've has some similar issues up around north Texas.

Forum List

Back