The entire notion of safe spaces and political correctness.

So your solution to bullying is punching the bully in the nose? That's what you'd teach your kids and what should be promoted in schools?

I agree that our culture is getting soft and overly PC, but I don't see any reason to fight over outrage against social injustice and bullying.

Not what I said. My solution to bullying, and what I taught all my children, was to ignore it. If you don't feed the drama, the drama goes away. You simply don't allow the bully to get what they are seeking. You don't go run and tattle.... you don't run your mouth... just ignore it.

Now... the ONE fight that I alluded to was a situation where the bully was interested in a physical confrontation. I tried ignoring it for a while and he continued to escalate his intimidation until one day when he physically pushed me. I broke his nose and that was that.

He was publicly humiliated by this... for weeks he had to wear this big white nose bandage and explain how someone who had never been in any kind of fight before had broken his nose. But that experience humbled him and he never bullied anyone again to my knowledge.
But it's more than physical bullying. This is what I've seen in elementary school: making fun of the fatter girls, also of the darker skinned girls, the nerdiest boys, the most foreign boys (with accents and whatnot).

Often with the girls, (to the boys): "You love [the chubby girl]" and so on.

And actually I participated somewhat in this as well, pressured by those stupid little kids. I feel really sorry for it.

So your solution to bullying is punching the bully in the nose? That's what you'd teach your kids and what should be promoted in schools?

I agree that our culture is getting soft and overly PC, but I don't see any reason to fight over outrage against social injustice and bullying.

Not what I said. My solution to bullying, and what I taught all my children, was to ignore it. If you don't feed the drama, the drama goes away. You simply don't allow the bully to get what they are seeking. You don't go run and tattle.... you don't run your mouth... just ignore it.

Now... the ONE fight that I alluded to was a situation where the bully was interested in a physical confrontation. I tried ignoring it for a while and he continued to escalate his intimidation until one day when he physically pushed me. I broke his nose and that was that.

He was publicly humiliated by this... for weeks he had to wear this big white nose bandage and explain how someone who had never been in any kind of fight before had broken his nose. But that experience humbled him and he never bullied anyone again to my knowledge.
The majority of children that are bullied do ignore it, they are scared and embarrassed and the swallow their pride and take it while it persists. My girl is a school counselor and deals with this stuff on a daily basis. I can assure you Telling kids to toughen up and ignore wrong doing or to punch and try humiliate bullies is not the answer.

"Trigger Warnings" seem harmless to me. From Mac's article :
To me, there seems to be very little reason not to give these warnings. As a professor, it merely requires my including one extra line in a routine email to the class, such as: “A quick heads-up. The reading for this week contains a graphic depiction of sexual assault.” These warnings are not unlike the advisory notices given before films and TV shows; those who want to ignore them can do so without a second thought. The cost to students who don’t need trigger warnings is, I think, equally minimal. It may even help sensitize them to the fact that some of their classmates will find the material hard going. The idea, suggested by Professor Haidt and others, that this considerate and reasonable practice feeds into a “culture of victimhood” seems alarmist, if not completely implausible.

The article says Trigger Warnings began on social media, but they didn't. Teachers have used them for years, before school assemblies that were going to discuss abuse or sexual assault. Before teaching Huck Finn. It's a courtesy, because sure as shooting there will be a couple of students who go into a meltdown about prior sexual abuse after a guest speaker deals with the topic or a few students who don't understand what dialect is, why it is used in fiction, and what was considered common verbiage in 1870.

As the professor above explains, it's a courtesy. Why it is skin off anyone else's nose, I don't understand.
It's no skin off my nose, and therefore not my top priority. And fortunately, we raised our children to be normal, functioning adults who are able to comfortably communicate with those who dare say something with which they don't agree. In other words, strong, confident and independent.

Unfortunately for many kids, though, colleges and other PC zealots are conditioning them to be hyper-sensitive whiners who literally cannot deal with opposing viewpoints. So much so that "trigger warnings" are now issued to protect them against incoming contrary thought; so much so that "safe spaces" are being created so that they can literally, physically hide from contrary thought; so much so that colleges are dis-inviting and refusing to invite voices contrary to theirs to protect their fragile little snowflakes.

College should be a place where young people are actively exposed to all kinds of thought, and definitely thought that is in contrast to theirs. It should be a place where freedom of expression is encouraged and celebrated. It's sad to see that such a potentially valuable growing and learning experience for our young people is being destroyed by adults who claim to "care".

Do we really not want our children to be challenged?

That's kind of where my thoughts are....though I can see the issue with bullying.

To me, there seems to be very little reason not to give these warnings. As a professor, it merely requires my including one extra line in a routine email to the class, such as: “A quick heads-up. The reading for this week contains a graphic depiction of sexual assault.” These warnings are not unlike the advisory notices given before films and TV shows; those who want to ignore them can do so without a second thought. The cost to students who don’t need trigger warnings is, I think, equally minimal. It may even help sensitize them to the fact that some of their classmates will find the material hard going. The idea, suggested by Professor Haidt and others, that this considerate and reasonable practice feeds into a “culture of victimhood” seems alarmist, if not completely implausible.

The article says Trigger Warnings began on social media, but they didn't. Teachers have used them for years, before school assemblies that were going to discuss abuse or sexual assault. Before teaching Huck Finn. It's a courtesy, because sure as shooting there will be a couple of students who go into a meltdown about prior sexual abuse after a guest speaker deals with the topic or a few students who don't understand what dialect is, why it is used in fiction, and what was considered common verbiage in 1870.

As the professor above explains, it's a courtesy. Why it is skin off anyone else's nose, I don't understand.
It's no skin off my nose, and therefore not my top priority. And fortunately, we raised our children to be normal, functioning adults who are able to comfortably communicate with those who dare say something with which they don't agree. In other words, strong, confident and independent.

Unfortunately for many kids, though, colleges and other PC zealots are conditioning them to be hyper-sensitive whiners who literally cannot deal with opposing viewpoints. So much so that "trigger warnings" are now issued to protect them against incoming contrary thought; so much so that "safe spaces" are being created so that they can literally, physically hide from contrary thought; so much so that colleges are dis-inviting and refusing to invite voices contrary to theirs to protect their fragile little snowflakes.

College should be a place where young people are actively exposed to all kinds of thought, and definitely thought that is in contrast to theirs. It should be a place where freedom of expression is encouraged and celebrated. It's sad to see that such a potentially valuable growing and learning experience for our young people is being destroyed by adults who claim to "care".

That's kind of where my thoughts are....though I can see the issue with bullying.
Bullying - although sometimes I think reactions go a little too far - is much worse now than it was before because of social media. I don't know how some kids even freakin' make it nowadays. It's a different world.

Bullying - although sometimes I think reactions go a little too far - is much worse now than it was before because of social media. I don't know how some kids even freakin' make it nowadays. It's a different world.

Same way they always do, don't associate you with the bullies and associate yourself with the ones who are friends.

Too bad, the schools are so bad that they often prevent people doing just that.

Makes me glad I'm not a parent...or a kid. Social media has changed the entire landscape.

Same way they always do, don't associate you with the bullies and associate yourself with the ones who are friends.

I think it's harder to do that with social media. Also, it's easy for adults to do that...we have maturity and self confidence that kids haven't developed yet (well...most of us).

I think it's harder to do that with social media. Also, it's easy for adults to do that...we have maturity and self confidence that kids haven't developed yet (well...most of us).

What do you mean? Just hit the "block" button and the troll vanishes. And you can do that for your kid as well, as any good parent would.

What do you mean? Just hit the "block" button and the troll vanishes.

Human nature....how many times do you see posters claiming to be ignoring the very post they are responding to...

Kids don't have the self confidence to be able to ignore things so easily. Bullying used to be face to face, within a small group of people. Cyber bulling is far more invasive and harder to combat. It's not so much that you can choose to block it, but that all your aquaintences can be dragged in to it. At least that's how I see it.

Human nature....how many times do you see posters claiming to be ignoring the very post they are responding to...

Kids don't have the self confidence to be able to ignore things so easily. Bullying used to be face to face, within a small group of people. Cyber bulling is far more invasive and harder to combat. It's not so much that you can choose to block it, but that all your aquaintences can be dragged in to it. At least that's how I see it.

Yes, children aren't very good at many things. That's why we have this thing called parent...

I'd like to know if any of the people posting in this thread have children who are the type who would demand safe spaces at college.
I don't know, but quite a lot of people on here act like elementary school bullies in general.

The best way to combat bullying is to spread awareness to children about what it is, teach empathy, and give the children support to speak up when they see a kid bullying another kid.

The best way to combat bullying is to spread awareness to children about what it is, teach empathy, and give the children support to speak up when they see a kid bullying another kid.

Yeah, teach them to turn the other cheek when hit. The liberal way! This way, everyone will bully the poor guy. No resistance, no precautions, no end to bullying!

Children will exploit this sort of nonsense like no tomorrow, it's a justification for them to bully.

Yeah, teach them to turn the other cheek when hit. The liberal way! This way, everyone will bully the poor guy. No resistance, no precautions, no end to bullying!

Children will exploit this sort of nonsense like no tomorrow, it's a justification for them to bully.
Don't twist my words... you clearly have no clue what you are talking about. You can still teach children how to defend themselves, but there are much more effective techniques for conflict resolution than resorting to violence.

It's hardly ever a lone bully, usually it's a group of people.

Don't twist my words... you clearly have no clue what you are talking about. You can still teach children how to defend themselves, but there are much more effective techniques for conflict resolution than resorting to violence.

Don't twist my words. I never said you should teach them to defend themselves or whatever...

But perhaps, the best thing to not do is to be empathetic with a bully.

It's hardly ever a lone bully, usually it's a group of people.

Never denied that...

Forum List

Back