The Ethics of Capital Punishment

Karma is a complex topic. It is not generally understood very well.

No one is interested in discussing what karma is except Hindus and Buddhists.

And if the girl wants to see her moms murderer put to death, would you tell her shes wrong?

NO, of course not. If the child was Buddhist, it would be a different story. We would have a conversation about karma.

Alright i am game for the karma angle for all of this.

I am sorry little jenny, your mother was so evil in some past life, it was her karma to die a horrible death in this life.

And little jenny... I am so sorry but it is your karma to suffer the pain, suffering and loss of your mother, in this life.

It is also karma, that the evil monster who fulfilled your mothers karma, by murdering her, is now be expected to fulfill HIS karma by being executed.

Karma is a bitch.

I will also suggest interfering with the execution of murders is interfering with their karma.

Nope. I wouldn't say any of those things.

Karma is a complex topic. It is not generally understood very well.

No one is interested in discussing what karma is except Hindus and Buddhists.

Not true
(the bolded portion).

I've never had a serious conversation about karma with someone who isn't Buddhist or Hindu.

The word, karma, has very specific meaning to Buddhists and Hindus, not the commonly understood meaning in American culture.

Karma to most westerners is influenced by Judeo-Christian concepts of sin and punishment. That's not what karma means to a Buddhist.

Last edited:
The Ethics of Capital Punishment

Capital punishment is a bad thing only if you think that death is a bad thing. Since obviously anyone who is reading this hasn't been there yet none of us are qualified to answer. Maybe it is. Maybe it ain't.

I am familiar with the concept of karma. I am neither Buddhist nor Hindu, although I accept both as valid paths to the sacred.

Sky, just think of their execution as a start to their reincarnation.

Not true
(the bolded portion).

I've never had a serious conversation about karma with someone who isn't Buddhist or Hindu.

That doesn't mean that they aren't interested in discussing it.

Why don't you start a thread on karma if you're so interested in it?

I only brought up the topic of karma in relation to what I might discuss with a 12-13 year old Buddhist child whose parent was murdered.

That doesn't mean that they aren't interested in discussing it.

Why don't you start a thread on karma if you're so interested in it?

I only brought up the topic of karma in relation to what I might discuss with a 12-13 year old Buddhist child whose parent was murdered.

That is a lovely image. and...rather insulting to Buddhists.

And if the girl wants to see her moms murderer put to death, would you tell her shes wrong?

NO, of course not. If the child was Buddhist, it would be a different story. We would have a conversation about karma.

Alright i am game for the karma angle for all of this.

I am sorry little jenny, your mother was so evil in some past life, it was her karma to die a horrible death in this life.

And little jenny... I am so sorry but it is your karma to suffer the pain, suffering and loss of your mother, in this life.

It is also karma, that the evil monster who fulfilled your mothers karma, by murdering her, is now be expected to fulfill HIS karma by being executed.

Karma is a bitch.

I will also suggest interfering with the execution of murders is interfering with their karma.

Nice use of karma explanation.

LWOP is the appropriate sentence for murder. Execution is not.

Nuff said. I'm down off my soapbox. I won't post any more about this topic.

No, it is not, not by a long shot is LWOP an appropriate sentence for a murder. LWOP for a rapist is an appropriate sentence. LWOP is an appropriate sentence for a child molester.

If the murder lives while their victim does not... it is far from an appropriate sentence. They can still harm others while alive... they can still kill and conspire to kill and commit crimes while in prison.

I beg to differ
Rapists and child molesters deserve death in my opinion.

An eye for an eye. Right or wrong?

I say it is wrong.

All human life is sacred. Society has a moral obligation to protect human life, not take it. The death penalty harms society by cheapening the value of life. Allowing the state to inflict death on certain of its citizens legitimizes the taking of life. The death of anyone, even a convicted killer, diminishes us all. Society has a duty to end this practice which causes such harm, yet produces little in the way of benefits.

An Eye for an Eye is a portion of the five books of Moses and means a return of righteous compensation rather than with vengeance.

But if any man hate his neighbor, and lie in wait for him, and rise up against him, and smite him mortally that he die; and he flee into one of these cities; then the elders of his city shall send and fetch him thence, and deliver him into the hand of the avenger of blood, that he may die.

Thine eye shall not pity him, but thou shalt put away the blood of the innocent from Israel, that it may go well with thee.

14 Thou shalt not remove thy neighbor's landmark, which they of old time have set, in thine inheritance which thou shalt inherit, in the land that the LORD thy God giveth thee to possess it.

One witness shall not rise up against a man for any iniquity, or for any sin, in any sin that he sinneth; at the mouth of two witnesses, or at the mouth of three witnesses, shall a matter be established.

If an unrighteous witness rise up against any man to bear perverted witness against him; then both the men, between whom the controversy is, shall stand before the LORD, before the priests and the judges that shall be in those days.

And the judges shall inquire diligently; and, behold, if the witness be a false witness, and hath testified falsely against his brother then shall ye do unto him, as he had purposed to do unto his brother; so shalt thou put away the evil from the midst of thee. And those that remain shall hear, and fear, and shall henceforth commit no more any such evil in the midst of thee. And thine eye shall not pity: life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot.

Tanach (JPS): Deuteronomy: Deuteronomy Chapter 19

I have discussed this with the learned and with pilpul dissection. Intent is the reasoning for this saying. How can man remove vengeance from the equation? Even in the wronged.

Remuneration. Not financially as such, but financials can easily factor into the equation. A man blinds another man in an eye and now he is responsible for the act and as such must shoulder the entire portion of that loss for the life of the injured man.

Guilt is enough as the intent is up to the L-rd. To the judges come the judgement.

This is the meaning behind, "An Eye For An Eye, A Tooth For A Tooth".

There's a lot who deserve to die so that they do not kill yet more others or continue a cycle of their evil and I will leave that up to the Judges and hope they pick the ones who must be stopped. But without vengeance. One does not have vengeance in their heart when they finish off a rabid dog.

There's some posts of rabid dogs in this thread. Society should pay for the chance that they will hurt others?

I will leave it up to the judges but I think the US has a superior method to this issue than Canada. That final duty of ending the life of evil should be on the docket in the cases of pure evil (imho)

Forum List

Back