The FACTS on Food Stamps

I have devoted years of my life to listening to stories like that every single day.

That's the reality of welfare.

For some, but not for all. Be fair, Allie, you know that most people on welfare want to get off it, and are not lazy shmucks like the woman you described.

from what i see, no most don't want to get off of welfare. They want more welfare.

At these prices, who wouldn't?

Welfare Statistics | Statistic Brain

-Geaux

Top 10 Hourly Wage Equivalent Welfare States in U.S.
State Hourly Wage Equivalent
Hawaii $17.50
Alaska $15.48
Massachusetts $14.66
Connecticut $14.23
Washington, D.C. $13.99
New York $13.13
New Jersey $12.55
Rhode Island $12.55
California $11.59
Virginia $11.11

from what i see, no most don't want to get off of welfare. They want more welfare.

I see those people around as well, believe me, we have our fair share of them. But I cannot tar everyone with the same brush and assume that just because I see a ton of lazy fucks out there, that they all must be the same.
I do believe that most people want a job, and want to get off welfare.

and if you offer them a dish washing job they will laugh at you. Offer them a job picking fields and they will laugh at you.

no, what they want is more. Look at the op, its not about moving people off of food stamps...its wanting MORE food stamps.

Farm workers have to travel hundreds of miles, work harder than any city job, get low pay, have no shelter or place to stay & can only work a few months a year. I pay mine more than most, feed & shelter them while they are here working. They move on when the job is done & someone else must care for them most of the year. Their families likely use food stamps through the winter.

I have 3 here to work for the week. We are hanging steel for a building 24 feet in the air & picking elder berries. It' been a grewling few days already.

Obama on the stump bragging about about the job growth.
Out of the other side of their mouths they are still claiming 1 in 6 kids go hungry.

So which is it?

Know what? I would take a job washing dishes if it meant some extra cash - but here's the problem - any restaurant that advertises for a kitchen hand, or dishwasher requests that any candidate have experience. That's right, if you don't have previous experience in washing dishes in a restaurant, they don't want to hear from you.

Sometimes I wonder if the employer isn't the problem.

I'm sure that isn't the case in 100% of all jobs posted. If an employer needs a worker, they'll find a worker. You logic sometimes is just mind numbing.

I invite you to my city where you can read all the job advertisements and discover that you must even have experience working the cash register in a supermarket before they will offer you a job.

Hey - you think I'd be stuck at Macca's if I could get another job? Doesn't take much to show someone how to answer a phone and type shit up on a computer, but you need this degree, and that qualification, and sometimes you can actually be overqualified for a job, which doesn't make sense to me.

I assume that when that happens, you are smarter than the boss.

The flat out ignorance and laziness of some people just amazes me. No one ever gets a job without experience in your city. OMG

I would bet every single one of my kids could get a job in your city with no experience in a couple hours.

Last edited:
I'm sure that isn't the case in 100% of all jobs posted. If an employer needs a worker, they'll find a worker. You logic sometimes is just mind numbing.

I invite you to my city where you can read all the job advertisements and discover that you must even have experience working the cash register in a supermarket before they will offer you a job.

Hey - you think I'd be stuck at Macca's if I could get another job? Doesn't take much to show someone how to answer a phone and type shit up on a computer, but you need this degree, and that qualification, and sometimes you can actually be overqualified for a job, which doesn't make sense to me.

The flat out ignorance and laziness of some people just amazes me. No one ever gets a job without experience in your city. OMG

I would bet every single one of my kids could get a job in your city with no experience in a couple hours.

Yep- The entitled and lazy should get fit and join the service and learn a trade, while defending the Constitution

Learning life skills

-Geaux

I remember when my son turned 16. He wanted some of my money to buy something, he needed a helping hand.
I told him to look at the end of his arms.
He went down to the Blimpie 3 miles from the house and the Pakistani woman that owned the place hired him on the spot at $6 a hour.
Within 1 hour he calls us and says he will be home late, 10:30 because he is now one of the night managers and will be closing the store.
Amazes me the complete stupidity of the left.
ATTITUDE is what gets you a job.
Men from Guatemala walk 2000 miles to get here and FIND WORK almost immediately.
You have to be either handicapped or lazy not to find some kind of work here.

Yeah but folks like that... they would probably undermine the security of this nation.

I see those people around as well, believe me, we have our fair share of them. But I cannot tar everyone with the same brush and assume that just because I see a ton of lazy fucks out there, that they all must be the same.

and if you offer them a dish washing job they will laugh at you. Offer them a job picking fields and they will laugh at you.

no, what they want is more. Look at the op, its not about moving people off of food stamps...its wanting MORE food stamps.

Know what? I would take a job washing dishes if it meant some extra cash - but here's the problem - any restaurant that advertises for a kitchen hand, or dishwasher requests that any candidate have experience. That's right, if you don't have previous experience in washing dishes in a restaurant, they don't want to hear from you.

:eusa_eh:

Having worked as a dishwasher in my distant past (and I was glad of the work) and having worked in the restaurant industry a few times off and on throughout my adult life (and would do it again if I needed to) I can say without hesitation, you are full of shit.

I have NEVER seen a restaurant advertise for an *experienced* dishwasher, lololol....and I live in a town that caters to tourists and the elderly.

:eusa_eh:

Having worked as a dishwasher in my distant past (and I was glad of the work) and having worked in the restaurant industry a few times off and on throughout my adult life (and would do it again if I needed to) I can say without hesitation, you are full of shit.

I have NEVER seen a restaurant advertise for an *experienced* dishwasher, lololol....and I live in a town that caters to tourists and the elderly.

I have. But that is only done when they don't have a person standing in front of them that they believe will do the job well without complaint and not quit on them in two days. Big turn over rate for labor jobs in some areas. Most jobs that ask for experience for labor are really just asking for reference that you are not just a liberal looking for a temporary job to reboot their unemployment check eligibility.

I remember when my son turned 16. He wanted some of my money to buy something, he needed a helping hand.
He went down to the Blimpie 3 miles from the house and the Pakistani woman that owned the place hired him on the spot at $6 a hour.
Within 1 hour he calls us and says he will be home late, 10:30 because he is now one of the night managers and will be closing the store.
Men from Guatemala walk 2000 miles to get here and FIND WORK almost immediately.

Attitude..and diligence. Sometimes it is hard to find a job, but that doesn't mean you give up. You broaden your search, you improve your skills, you work on the way you present yourself and you keep applying. And you will find something. There is ALWAYS something, in this country, for a person who wants to work. But you have to be willing to work. And maybe not in your preferred field or at the rate of pay you'd like.

yep. you nailed it

They told me most all my life that I would probably not make it at the things I had a passion for.
And many times I failed miserably at things.
You can never get to the top unless you have failed many times.
But victory is so sweet and folks respect you always just for the maximum effort.

LOL.

I know a bit more about this then you may think. And no, you don't need to know how to wash dishes, you just need to be willing to work, show up on time, take instructions and not be a lazy ass.

the "will work for food" homeless..... are not willing, do not show up on time, do not want to take instruction and are lazy fucking asses.

Farm workers have to travel hundreds of miles, work harder than any city job, get low pay, have no shelter or place to stay & can only work a few months a year. I pay mine more than most, feed & shelter them while they are here working. They move on when the job is done & someone else must care for them most of the year. Their families likely use food stamps through the winter.

I have 3 here to work for the week. We are hanging steel for a building 24 feet in the air & picking elder berries. It' been a grewling few days already.

i have nothing but respect for field workers.... they WANT to work.

Bill Simon, CEO of Wal-Mart's U.S. business on conference call to Goldman Sachs.
"you need not go further than one of our stores on midnight at the end of the month. And it’s real interesting to watch, about 11 p.m., customers start to come in and shop, fill their grocery basket with basic items, baby formula, milk, bread, eggs,and continue to shop and mill about the store until midnight, when electronic — government electronic benefits cards get activated and then the checkout starts and occurs. And our sales for those first few hours on the first of the month are substantially and significantly higher.

“And if you really think about it, the only reason somebody gets out in the middle of the night and buys baby formula is that they need it, and they’ve been waiting for it. Otherwise, we are open 24 hours — come at 5 a.m., come at 7 a.m., come at 10 a.m. But if you are there at midnight, you are there for a reason.”

They couldn't. Bendigo (my city) is the hardest city in the country to find work, with at least 33 applicants for every single job. That's worse than the major cities, like Melbourne and Sydney.

I can provide you with a link to prove this if you dare to dispute my claims.

LOL.

I know a bit more about this then you may think. And no, you don't need to know how to wash dishes, you just need to be willing to work, show up on time, take instructions and not be a lazy ass.

the "will work for food" homeless..... are not willing, do not show up on time, do not want to take instruction and are lazy fucking asses.

You might know a bit, but you don't know my city, and there are tons of jobs going for kitchen hands, but you must have experience working in a restaurant.
I will browse the papers over the coming weeks and months and find you an advertisement to show what I mean.

They couldn't. Bendigo (my city) is the hardest city in the country to find work, with at least 33 applicants for every single job. That's worse than the major cities, like Melbourne and Sydney.

there must be a tremendous problem

with business not wanting to locate to your area to supply jobs for some reason

Bill Simon, CEO of Wal-Mart's U.S. business on conference call to Goldman Sachs.
"you need not go further than one of our stores on midnight at the end of the month. And it’s real interesting to watch, about 11 p.m., customers start to come in and shop, fill their grocery basket with basic items, baby formula, milk, bread, eggs,and continue to shop and mill about the store until midnight, when electronic — government electronic benefits cards get activated and then the checkout starts and occurs. And our sales for those first few hours on the first of the month are substantially and significantly higher.

“And if you really think about it, the only reason somebody gets out in the middle of the night and buys baby formula is that they need it, and they’ve been waiting for it. Otherwise, we are open 24 hours — come at 5 a.m., come at 7 a.m., come at 10 a.m. But if you are there at midnight, you are there for a reason.”

I understand the premise you are addressing from this 2010 article. A few words though on items like baby formula, eggs, milk...the same folks with SNAP and babies, also have WIC, which is weekly.

WIC allows no 'programs' like coupons or store 'favored customer' awards.

I work part-time at a Walgreens. I'm often shocked by people coming in with SNAP or WIC and what they buy, for what costs. Different challenges with each, regarding getting the most for the money.

The store I'm at is flexible regarding WIC. There are no coupons or rewards allowed. No taxes. Any 'customer coupons' related to transaction must be discarded, by law. No receipt is given to the holder of WIC check, thus no returns for cash.

A typical WIC check states something like:

1 doz eggs $1.99
Formula $18.99
2 bottles of juice, 96 oz ea $4.99
3 cereals 18 oz ea $8.99

Check amount not to exceed: $XXX.XX

so on and so forth.

When the oz of cereal exceed 18oz for example, not a problem. Same with the rest of it. No, other types of food may not be substituted, that doesn't happen. However if to fill all the items: eggs, formula, juice, cereals, the total amount exceeds the maximum amount, the prices are 'adjusted' to fit the amount. Thus, the person with that check, gets what they 'need' even though costs to store exceed what's paid.

Where this store is located is not a walking store and there's no public transportation. However, this program and the way the store, (I'm assuming directed by corporate or region), adjusts costs, gives no incentives to the users to buy the best or most economical items.

SNAP on the other hand, does give the users incentives to be savvy shoppers. I've no doubt that millions are. Working where I do, just not seeing many of those. Yes, many DO use the rewards program with their SNAP purchases, many do not-they 'don't want a record of what they are buying.' Most of those 'not using card' are buying 'wholesome food, but without the card and sale prices.' I don't get that. As I said, nearly all have access to a car and can get better prices for good food at grocery, yet they come to convenience center, without taking advantage of sales available.

This past week, a doz eggs were .99 with rewards. Milk 1.99. Oscar Meyer ham, turkey, or chicken 2 12oz packages @ $5. (Less than $5 lb.) Bread: Whole Wheat or White at .99. Who wouldn't use the 'card?' if paying for themselves? Without 'the card': eggs@$1.99; milk $2.89; lunch [email protected] ea; bread@$2.99

Many of those using SNAP at our store are buying predominately or only 'empty calories.' Using the card they are purchasing premium candies, chips, pops, and waters. If I only had $200 per month I wouldn't be spending $2. on 'Smart Water'. We live in an area with primo tap water from Lake Michigan. We pay plenty for that through out taxes or rents.

I'm not an advocate in general for 'aid in kind' meaning that the 'poor' or those on aid should be given rations of food deemed 'good for them.' I do believe the best way to make people responsible is to let them suffer the natural consequences of their choices. Here's the rub. It's common knowledge that SNAP only pays for food. My store has computers that ensure that is the case. No diapers or paper towels or bandaids get covered.

So, American Express, Visa, Mastercard or Discover cover those items.

Does it strike anyone else a bit odd that someone with a credit card is on a food program? I'm not sure if the problem is with the government or the banks, but something seems weird to me here.

At the present time I can't see any reason for anyone in the US to be 'hungry.' Yet, the well is not without end, that should be obvious to all. Both recipients and those paying for.

A couple years back, I needed and qualified for SNAP. 1 adult in IL. It was during summer and without subbing my income fell to the point that couldn't pay utilities and eat. For 3 months I had SNAP at $200 per month. For the first two months I ate fine and had 'credits' carried forward. I utilized my online coupons, and rewards cards. I cooked and used meals from one to another, making soups, salads, etc., from the left overs.

That September, after a summer of friends and family having me over many times for bar-b-ques and lake parties, I hosted a Labor Day Party. All of the meats, breads, and salads were covered by SNAP, coupons and rewards programs. While I always bought the very lowest price for myself, I paid 'sale price' for premium brands that holiday weekend. Yes, there were strip steaks, (discount for large weight), well marinated. Chicken, again bought in bulk, cut up and ready-to-grill. Brats, Italian Sausage, etc., bought on ale. It took only a bit of planning for coupons, knowledge of sales from grocery, and obviously a knack for the previous two months of utilizing the savings available from a myriad of resources. In my case: buying at Aldi's for staples and veggies I could use without spoilage. Shopping with my rewards card at grocer for the smaller quantity perishables at best prices. In all venues looking for 'Clearance' items about to hit 'sell by date.'

For two months I ate well and used less than $130 of the $200 allotted. In September for 1 weekend I used a bit more than $150 for one weekend. $10 more than what I'd 'saved' the previous 2 months.

Truth is, the allotments on SNAP are very stingy for singles. IF I'd applied when my 3 kids were at home, I'd have had little issue with getting by. No, they wouldn't have unlimited junk food, but certainly their share of chips, nuts, pop, etc.

there must be a tremendous problem

with business not wanting to locate to your area to supply jobs for some reason

We have a few decent businesses here. We've a population of around 40,000, last I heard, although it might have grown since then.
The main problem is that employers refuse to train their staff, they expect everyone to come with experience - even kids out of high school. If you are looking for a junior to work in your store, you can't request that they have previous experience, its just common sense.

The biggest problem is that there are simply too many people, and not enough jobs to go around, which is why so many people commute to Melbourne each day - a 2 hour train ride, or 4 hours there and back.

Forum List

Back