🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

The failure of the conservative experiment before your very eyes

EricJ

Feb 22, 2015
Of course, there are no facts that will sway some. Europe has already proved that austerity policies are a total failure. Yet, in spite of all the evidence, US conservatives try it over and over - no matter how many times it fails. The very definition on insanity!

The real-world effects of Brownback s Kansas experiment MSNBC

excerpt:

When Kansas Gov. Sam Brownback (R) launched his radical economic plan, which cut taxes far beyond what his state could afford, he called it “a real-live experiment.” The governor said at the time, “We’ll see how it works.”
More than four years later, we have, indeed. Brownback’s plan has resulted in debt downgrades, weak growth, and state finances in shambles. The latest data adds insult to injury: “State figures released Tuesday showed that tax revenue came in $11.2 million below expectations in March, the latest in a string of lower-than-expected tax receipts.” The report came two weeks after the governor said his plan is “working.”
As msnbc’s Trymaine Lee reported over the weekend, it’s reached the point at which some Kansas public school districts are wrapping up the school year early because they don’t have the money needed to keep the doors open.
As a result of [Brownback’s] cuts, the two Kansas school districts have announced that they’ll be cutting their school years short because of an expected budgetary shortfall, including a reduction of state aid and increasing financial pressure. The Twin Valley School District will end its year on May 8 instead of May 20, while the Concordia school district will end its school year about a week short, on May 15 rather than May 21. Concordia schools also will be closed on April 16 and May 1, to spread out the days certain staff won’t be paid.
“The board’s made a difficult decision,” Twin Valley Superintendent Jan Neufeld told The Wichita Eagle. “We have just a few fiscal reserves.”
Nothing says “21st-century super power” like American schools closing early because a state can’t afford to keep the lights on.

Substitute "Obama" for "Brownback" and you would have a pretty good picture of the national economy.

This is why the "strategy" of cut, cut, cut simply cannot work.

Here in Colorado, we have a tax-cut crusader named Douglas Bruce who has been able to influence several tax-cut bills. As a result, many of our parks are in disrepair, many of our schools are in lousy shape and getting lousier, and there are so many potholes in many of our streets that it's like driving through a freaking war zone, even in the "good" areas.

There is a quality of life issue to consider. Mr. Bruce, the owner of several nasty, run down apartment buildings, does not care about quality of life and is making sure that he doesn't have to pay for it.

My quality of life is better when the parks are nice, when the kids are being educated properly, when the city looks nicer. It's not just about me.

Life is about nuance, equilibrium, and clearly many don't understand that.

Would seem EU has proved tax and spend and tax some more has run its course. Reality is a bitch

Europe has already proved that austerity policies are a total failure.

Which countries in Europe have had austerity policies?

Here in Colorado, we have a tax-cut crusader named Douglas Bruce who has been able to influence several tax-cut bills. As a result, many of our parks are in disrepair, many of our schools are in lousy shape and getting lousier, and there are so many potholes in many of our streets that it's like driving through a freaking war zone, even in the "good" areas.

There is a quality of life issue to consider. Mr. Bruce, the owner of several nasty, run down apartment buildings, does not care about quality of life and is making sure that he doesn't have to pay for it.

My quality of life is better when the parks are nice, when the kids are being educated properly, when the city looks nicer. It's not just about me.

The "quality of life" in Colorado? Are you serious!?!?!? I travel to Colorado numerous times a year to see friends. Driven on a Colorado road lately? Jesus Christ! Been on one of those toll roads that the people pay to foreign countries to drive on?

Driven on a road in Kansas? Best roads in the country. Colorado? Potheads and beggars. Yes sir. GREAT quality of life!!

The "quality of life" in Colorado? Are you serious!?!?!? I travel to Colorado numerous times a year to see friends. Driven on a Colorado road lately? Jesus Christ! Been on one of those toll roads that the people pay to foreign countries to drive on?

Driven on a road in Kansas? Best roads in the country. Colorado? Potheads and beggars. Yes sir. GREAT quality of life!!
Go ahead and start a poll asking people if they'd rather live in Colorado or Kansas. :rofl:

• Thanks
Reactions: -S-
Maybe if Kansas schools were free to teach instead of following the bureaucratic insanity of the Obama administration they could save a couple of bucks and get kids to learn something besides putting a condom on a banana.

Marvellous irony! The story about an apartment owner destroying his own property is pretty good, too. Don't blame the deadbeat tenants, who know it takes three to six months to evict them and repair the damage.

Maybe if Kansas schools were free to teach instead of following the bureaucratic insanity of the Obama administration they could save a couple of bucks and get kids to learn something besides putting a condom on a banana.
One can only imagine the comedy of the Kansas education system if they were allowed to teach whatever they wanted :rofl:

One can only imagine the comedy of the Kansas education system if they were allowed to teach whatever they wanted :rofl:

I can see it now...
Kids can specialize in one of two job placement programs: conservative preacher, or ditch digger.

The straight A students would always choose ditch digger :wink_2:

(And did I say 'kids'? I meant 'boys'. 'Mother' is the automatic position for all girls born.)

Marvellous irony! The story about an apartment owner destroying his own property is pretty good, too. Don't blame the deadbeat tenants, who know it takes three to six months to evict them and repair the damage.

That's right. Throw the low income folks under the bus in favor of the slumlord.
Nice well thought reply.

Of course, there are no facts that will sway some. Europe has already proved that austerity policies are a total failure.
If they fail, it's only because of the entitlement mentality of the people in those countries, who feel entitled to riot when their entitlements are threatened.
That fact will not sway you, of course.

Of course, there are no facts that will sway some. Europe has already proved that austerity policies are a total failure.
If they fail, it's only because of the entitlement mentality of the people in those countries, who feel entitled to riot when their entitlements are threatened.
That fact will not sway you, of course.

I'm sure you're right. I'm sure that is the only reason. When does the trickle-down take effect?

Of course, there are no facts that will sway some. Europe has already proved that austerity policies are a total failure. Yet, in spite of all the evidence, US conservatives try it over and over - no matter how many times it fails. The very definition on insanity!

The real-world effects of Brownback s Kansas experiment MSNBC

excerpt:

When Kansas Gov. Sam Brownback (R) launched his radical economic plan, which cut taxes far beyond what his state could afford, he called it “a real-live experiment.” The governor said at the time, “We’ll see how it works.”
More than four years later, we have, indeed. Brownback’s plan has resulted in debt downgrades, weak growth, and state finances in shambles. The latest data adds insult to injury: “State figures released Tuesday showed that tax revenue came in $11.2 million below expectations in March, the latest in a string of lower-than-expected tax receipts.” The report came two weeks after the governor said his plan is “working.”
As msnbc’s Trymaine Lee reported over the weekend, it’s reached the point at which some Kansas public school districts are wrapping up the school year early because they don’t have the money needed to keep the doors open.
As a result of [Brownback’s] cuts, the two Kansas school districts have announced that they’ll be cutting their school years short because of an expected budgetary shortfall, including a reduction of state aid and increasing financial pressure. The Twin Valley School District will end its year on May 8 instead of May 20, while the Concordia school district will end its school year about a week short, on May 15 rather than May 21. Concordia schools also will be closed on April 16 and May 1, to spread out the days certain staff won’t be paid.
“The board’s made a difficult decision,” Twin Valley Superintendent Jan Neufeld told The Wichita Eagle. “We have just a few fiscal reserves.”
Nothing says “21st-century super power” like American schools closing early because a state can’t afford to keep the lights on.

OMG, we should totally start spending money like crack fiends in a bank vault.

Forum List

Back