The Flint Water Crisis: An insight into Republicanism.

There is an eerie silence on these boards about the ongoing water scandal in Flint Michigan with good reason. This crisis uncovers a republican tendency to do things that end up being detrimental to their constituents and everyone living near them.

The Snyder administration sparked the chain of events that led to the crisis back in April, 2014 amid a financial downturn. To save money, the decision to switch Flint's water source from Lake Huron to the Flint River was made on the ill fated advise of a state sanctioned emergency manager to Flint.

Noteworthy is the revelation that the Flint River had long had a reputation for being nasty when the state made the switch.. But the burgeoning indifference doesn't stop there. A 2011 study indicated that Flint River water had to be treated with anti- corrosion agents before it could be fit for human consumption. That didn't happen. Therein lies the culpability...the republicans dropped the ball and, either through abject stupidity or indifference, they failed those who put their trust ini them.

There is more. The callousness of these Michigan republicans underlines the inclination of the GOP to put material interests above human interests. Michael Pitt, a member of the law team representing the victims, puts it this way:

"He further lambasted state officials who, he alleged, learned of elevated lead levels in children's blood in 2014 and did nothing."

"They were staring at a public health emergency, and they sat on it for over 10 months," he said, further criticizing leaders who assured residents the water was safe when they knew it wasn't true"..

If what Pitt said is true, there is an element of criminality here.

Although these developments are shocking, I am not surprised by the cold insensitiveness of the Michigan republicans towards the people of Flint. Republicans have been against everything that makes America a better place to live for all classes of Americans. Some of the things republicans have tried to undermine is social security, MEDICARE and, ironically, the EPA. If they had their way there would be NO safety nets and the Great Depression might never have ended. Child labor would still be an ongoing phenomenon.

Given the historical agenda of republicanism...it should be clear that their actions speak louder than their words. If Trump wins, I fear the Flint water crisis gives us a glimpse of things to come. With a GOP congress, and GOP USSC to compliment Trumps in the White House..... be afraid...for nothing you breathe, drink or eat will be safe.
Funny Hillary's emails are a big deal to them but all one has to do is look at flint to see what Republican leadership gives us.

But people in white middle class neighborhood don't think it will happen to them. In other words flint lives don't matter.

But it could happen to us. Who says it hasn't already happened.

This is why government needs to look out for all of us, even if that means asking the rich to fix flint, which is exactly what Snyder is doing now. He's running to uncle Sam, not poor flint citizens, to fix this problem.

Government isn't the problem. Government run by ceo's is the problem. Business doesn't care but government should.

Part of the problem is that business left Flint Michigan. If CEOs were the problem, then the problem should have left, when the CEOs did.
I guess you win again because I can't help laughing at your abject idiocy,, BWHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Republicans cheapness caused this. We're broke, remember?

Meanwhile Snyder slashed corporate taxes in Michigan. No wonder were broke.

How come companies go to China even though they have to play by China's rules but here those companies make the rules? Maybe corporations shouldn't make the rules here in America either. If they want to do business here they should play by our rules.
As I said..........you guys wear blinders...............

RIddle me this...............who ran the treatment plant and why didn't they follow the CFR for corrosion inhibitors.......................Who WAZ DAT............
Who ran the show? Snyder appointees. Look at all the Snyder appointees he's firing. Their heads will roll not Snyder's but make no mistake Republicans are responsible for this.

This is why you don't appoint Republicans to do environmental work. They're too anti science and willing to risk it.

No you will not blame the citizens of flint.
LOL

The people at the treatment plant were Republicans and didn't know how to treat the water..............LOL

They have no responsibility.............lol
The Flint River had been tapped on previous occasions BEFORE Snyder was governor and before EM was sent to usurp power from the city government but no crisis materialized...WHY NOT? Apparently the democrats treated the water for corrosion before THEY tapped the Flint River temporarily. One more thang...Can I get a witness? :lol:

Again, by law, the City of Flint, opted to have an EM. They made that choice. Their problem, their choice, they issues. Simple as that.
Please provide a link to your outrageous assertion that the City Council or Mayor requested an EM or "opted" to have one! I have already debunked that in previous posts so go on, make my day, and post your source....

You can delay your embarrassment if you simply review my posts in this link to see the rebuttal...Save us both time if you did... just sayin'

The government ? Which one? There are 4 governments involved here. Federal, State, county and city hall!

Start with the Democrats running Flint literally into the dirt

But it took a Republican governor to send an incompetent Emergency manager to switch Flint's drinking water without knowing the "FUCK" what he was doing! Or...DID HE?

Yeah.... Let's all blame the symptom, instead of the problem. When things get all screwed up, and you have to send someone in to fix the mess.... stuff messes up.

Question... why was there ever a need to have an "Emergency Manager" to begin with? If they had their crap together, there would never have been an Emergency Manager.

The Democrats created a train wreck. You force a Republican to have assign someone to fix your train wreck. Then when he's there, you blame him for your train wreck? And that's supposed to be our scandal? You ruined yourself, and it's our fault we can fix your broken butt?

Let's explain how this works......

The state government is required to look into the fiscal security of local governments, because of a law passed in 1988 under a Democrat governor.

When they determine the local government is about to default because of their irresponsibility, they sent notice by the State government, and are required to make a choice between 4 options.

A consent agreement. (strange name, but basically it means the city already has a viable working fiscal plan to fix the problem. Flint did not have this. Thus they didn't do a consent agreement)

Fail.

They can declare bankruptcy, and go to bankruptcy court. They refused to do this.

Fail.

They can go arbitration, and have a mediator work out the problem. They refused to do this.

Fail.

They can ask the State government to appoint an Emergency Manager, and after one year, a 2/3rds vote to have him removed. Which he is then replaced by the State with a new manager. Moreover, the local authority can fight and haggle with the Emergency manager over implementation of the fiscal plan.

This is the exact option that Flint City Michigan has chosen to do.

They specifically choose this option. They ASKED the State to place an Emergency Manager over their city. Then they have fought with him over everything. And they have replaced every single Emergency Manager after the minimum year, consistently.

Since 2011, they have had FIVE emergency managers. They have kicked each and every single one of them out. Now you want to complain the manager put in place, didn't know what was going on? Or was incompetent? After you've kicked each one out in 12 months, who the heck wants this job? You likely can only find incompetent managers at this point. No one with any competence would ever agree to do this job.

And look at the City budget, produced by the local authority:

https://www.cityofflint.com/wp-content/uploads/FY16-17-Proposed-Budget.pdf

Just read it..... Are the politicians and elected officials, voted in office by the people of Flint Michigan concerned about the water? Does the budget reflect this "scandal" of a water emergency?

Page 13.... $2.17 Million dollars for improvements to water? No, parks and golf courses and river banks. The City of Flint Michigan has 63 Parks, "Community Centers" and Golf Courses.

Here's a crazy thought Democrats elected to office in Flint..... Cut the $2.17 Million in "park" improvements, and buy better water treatment plants. Heck, sell off some of those 63 "Community Centers", golf courses and river banks, and use the money to get some non-poisonous water.

Flip on down to page 49. Well what do you know.... $32 Million, of the Cities total expenses of $162 Million, about 20% of the budget is just going to pensions, and retiree health care.

Let me simplify that for you..... Unions. 20% of the budget is going to the Unions, and you are trying to blame the State Governor, for the incompetence going on in Flint? Poisoned water, and 20% of the entire city budget is paying retirees, thanks to Union contracts. Yeah, that's Republican's fault somehow..... whatever.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: All I can do is laugh to keep from exploding over the ABJECT IGNORANCE that permeates these forums. And there is no end in sight.

When people laugh, instead of argue... I know I won. If you could actually argue with anything... anything at all that I said... you would have done so. You can't.

HINT: I hate to keep repeating myself over and over after I have addressed the issue extensively in this very thread... That is why I am laughing. It amiuses me that you are too stupid to read previous posts that have already debunked what you are saying now... Don't you think that is funny? I certainly do....er...WINNER!

RIddle me this...............who ran the treatment plant and why didn't they follow the CFR for corrosion inhibitors.......................Who WAZ DAT............
Who ran the show? Snyder appointees. Look at all the Snyder appointees he's firing. Their heads will roll not Snyder's but make no mistake Republicans are responsible for this.

This is why you don't appoint Republicans to do environmental work. They're too anti science and willing to risk it.

LOL

The people at the treatment plant were Republicans and didn't know how to treat the water..............LOL

The Flint River had been tapped on previous occasions BEFORE Snyder was governor and before EM was sent to usurp power from the city government but no crisis materialized...WHY NOT? Apparently the democrats treated the water for corrosion before THEY tapped the Flint River temporarily. One more thang...Can I get a witness? :lol:

Again, by law, the City of Flint, opted to have an EM. They made that choice. Their problem, their choice, they issues. Simple as that.
Please provide a link to your outrageous assertion that the City Council or Mayor requested an EM or "opted" to have one! I have already debunked that in previous posts so go on, make my day, and post your source....

You can delay your embarrassment if you simply review my posts in this link to see the rebuttal...Save us both time if you did... just sayin'

What? So you really don't know? That's the law. That's how it works.

TREASURY - How a Financial Emergency Works

Directly from the Michigan governments website:

Step Nine: Within 7 days after confirmation of a financial emergency, the governing body of the local government must select one of the following:

Consent Agreement option.
Emergency Manager option.
Neutral Evaluation Process option.
Chapter 9 Bankruptcy option.

Except as otherwise provided in the Act, a local government may not utilize any of the foregoing options more than once. A local government that does not select one of the above options is required to proceed under the Neutral Evaluation Process option.
Now who is laughing moron? :D

Flint picked option 2. They did it. Welcome to reality stupid. How long will you be staying?

Nothing like finding some arrogant idiot, that has been BSing this entire thread, and didn't even know the law.... didn't even know the laws he was talking about. The left-wing is the most ignorant and arrogant people on the face of the planet.

How come companies go to China even though they have to play by China's rules but here those companies make the rules? Maybe corporations shouldn't make the rules here in America either. If they want to do business here they should play by our rules.

LOL

No they nor Detroit CHOSE to have an efm you dork.

You need to know that no one in Michigan is defending Rick Snyder. Lots of people who liked him and thought he was OK now think he might need to step down.

All this thread proves is Republicans are never wrong no matter what they do. Unfuckingbelievable

LOL

Step Nine: Within 7 days after confirmation of a financial emergency, the governing body of the local government must select one of the following:

Except as otherwise provided in the Act, a local government may not utilize any of the foregoing options more than once. A local government that does not select one of the above options is required to proceed under the Neutral Evaluation Process option.

Flint picked option 2. They did it. Welcome to reality stupid. How long will you be staying?
You're just a joke do you know that?

Nothing like finding some arrogant idiot, that has been BSing this entire thread, and didn't even know the law.... didn't even know the laws he was talking about. The left-wing is the most ignorant and arrogant people on the face of the planet.
Revisionist history. Snyder forced a efm on flint and Detroit.

I'm in Michigan and funny you're the first and only idiot who thinks flint chose to have an efm and chose nasty flint drinking water.

Here's a fact. Snyder sat on this for two months. He's fucked. Not fit to lead.

Government failed on all levels there unless you wear blinders.......

2006-9-26-donkey-01.jpg

LOL

Im going to have to leave this thread. If they dare suggest liberals and Democrats did this to flint, then you are talking to people so stupid and brainwashed.

This reminds me of how bush lied us into Iraq and they say Democrats voted for it. We remember being conned into that.

So I can't take a non Michigander stupid fucking right wingers blaming poor people in flint when the Republicans completely own this problem. Snyder could even be sued criminally if he knew and did nothing.

LOL

Do you want to starve to death or be given lead poisoning. Pick one.

LOL

Im going to have to leave this thread. If they dare suggest liberals and Democrats did this to flint, then you are talking to people so stupid and brainwashed.

This reminds me of how bush lied us into Iraq and they say Democrats voted for it. We remember being conned into that.

So I can't take a non Michigander stupid fucking right wingers blaming poor people in flint when the Republicans completely own this problem. Snyder could even be sued criminally if he knew and did nothing.
Dn't leave yet...I am NOT finished with Andy lusion

LOL

Oh, I WILL be around for a long time.... You still didn't produce a link or documentation showing that the local Flint government requested an EM. Now chew on this while I continue snickering:

Flint has been under emergency Management off and on since 2011.

Governor Snyder has changed EMs several times, apparently to negate the 18 month provision after which 2./3 of the local government can oust an EM

The Rachel Maddow show had a town meeting in Flint and nothing on that show indicated the Em was selected by the elected officials of Flint. I got a sense that they felt railroaded into having to accept an EM.

(4) Subject to section 9(6)(c) and (11), unless authorized by the governor, a local government shall not utilize 1 of the local options listed in subsection (1)(a) to (d) more than 1 time.

Nice try; but, like Paul Harvey says, here is the REST of the story: The Michigan Treasurer's ad hoc syllabus doesn't mention the following excerpt form the actual LAW. That being Act # 436 under Enrolled Senate Bill no. 865

Sec. 25. (1) A neutral evaluation process may be utilized as provided for in this act. The state treasurer may, in his or her own discretion, determine that the state monitor the neutral evaluation process initiated by a local government under this section and may identify 1 or more individuals who may attend and observe the neutral evaluation process. A local government shall initiate the neutral evaluation process by providing notice by certified mail of a request for neutral evaluation process to all interested parties.I f the local government does not provide notice under this subsection to all interested parties within 7 days after selecting the neutral evaluation process option, the treasurer may require the local government to go into receivership and proceed under section 9. ( not chapter 9 the bankruptcy option but Section 9(6)(c) of Act#436 = Emergency Management)
https://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/2011-2012/publicact/pdf/2012-PA-0436.pdf

I have seen NO documentation showing the local government of Flint chose the EM option or any of the 4 options listed. Nor have I seen documentation outlining how the financial crisis was determined in the first place. If you have such evidence put up and I will acknowledge it. Until then I 'll keep laughing.

I have seen Snyder's correspondence in placing an EM over the all White city of Allen Park MI. It doesnt look like that city opted for an EM either. But they got one!

MLIVE...a local media outlet is a link I used in a previous post to shwo how Snyder and his gang lied and engaged in a cover up. Do you expect anyone with an ounce of objectivity to believe what is posted on a State of Michigan Department website?

Don't make me laugh any more than I already have....

LOL

I'm in Michigan and a Detroiter. Where you from boy? The reason why Michigan was in a tail spin before the Republicans took over is partly because of too many idiots like you in this state:slap:

LOL

Oh, I WILL be around for a long time.... You still didn't produce a link or documentation showing that the local Flint government requested an EM. Now chew on this while I continue snickering:

Governor Snyder has changed EMs several times, apparently to negate the 18 month provision after which 2./3 of the local government can oust an EM

The Rachel Maddow show had a town meeting in Flint and nothing on that show indicated the Em was selected by the elected officials of Flint. I got a sense that they felt railroaded into having to accept an EM.

(4) Subject to section 9(6)(c) and (11), unless authorized by the governor, a local government shall not utilize 1 of the local options listed in subsection (1)(a) to (d) more than 1 time.

Nice try; but, like Paul Harvey says, here is the REST of the story: The Michigan Treasurer's ad hoc syllabus doesn't mention the following excerpt form the actual LAW. That being Act # 436 under Enrolled Senate Bill no. 865

Sec. 25. (1) A neutral evaluation process may be utilized as provided for in this act. The state treasurer may, in his or her own discretion, determine that the state monitor the neutral evaluation process initiated by a local government under this section and may identify 1 or more individuals who may attend and observe the neutral evaluation process. A local government shall initiate the neutral evaluation process by providing notice by certified mail of a request for neutral evaluation process to all interested parties.I f the local government does not provide notice under this subsection to all interested parties within 7 days after selecting the neutral evaluation process option, the treasurer may require the local government to go into receivership and proceed under section 9. ( not chapter 9 the bankruptcy option but Section 9(6)(c) of Act#436 = Emergency Management)
https://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/2011-2012/publicact/pdf/2012-PA-0436.pdf

I have seen NO documentation showing the local government of Flint chose the EM option or any of the 4 options listed. Nor have I seen documentation outlining how the financial crisis was determined in the first place. If you have such evidence put up and I will acknowledge it. Until then I 'll keep laughing.

I have seen Snyder's correspondence in placing an EM over the all White city of Allen Park MI. It doesnt look like that city opted for an EM either. But they got one!

MLIVE...a local media outlet is a link I used in a previous post to shwo how Snyder and his gang lied and engaged in a cover up. Do you expect anyone with an ounce of objectivity to believe what is posted on a State of Michigan Department website?

Flint is bankrupt.... Detroit was bankrupt. Now they are coming back. Thanks to Snyder, the EFM and corporate investors. Certainly not any leftist nutjobs and crooked liberals

LOL

I'm in Michigan and a Detroiter. Where you from boy? The reason why Michigan was in a tail spin before the Republicans took over is partly because of too many idiots like you in this state:slap:
Grew up 6 & evergreen. Live on a lake now.

Unions made this state. Spineless ignorant greedy voters like you sent our good paying jobs to china and mexico

Remember Ford had record profits in 1999. My dad got record profit sharing. My kind afford you the luxury to be stupid

LOL

Stay on topic, BOY..We are talking about how an EM was appointed to take over the Flint Government...got anything to add BOY!

Flint is bankrupt.... Detroit was bankrupt. Now they are coming back. Thanks to Snyder, the EFM and corporate investors. Certainly not any leftist nutjobs and crooked liberals
At what expense? So cheap you give us lead poison?

Oh, and now that he gave all the corporate tax breaks he says we're broke and has to raise our taxes.

One more thing. If corporations are so good at solving all of our problems why did Rick Snyder run to the federal government 4 100 billion dollars and not run to corporations to solve the problem in Flint?

LOL

Stay on topic, BOY..We are talking about how an EM was appointed to take over the Flint Government...got anything to add BOY!

Yeah you're a non-thinking moron

At what expense? So cheap you give us lead poison?

Oh, and now that he gave all the corporate tax breaks he says we're broke and has to raise our taxes.

One more thing. If corporations are so good at solving all of our problems why did Rick Snyder run to the federal government 4 100 billion dollars and not run to corporations to solve the problem in Flint?
hey diiot

LOL

Grew up 6 & evergreen. Live on a lake now.

Unions made this state. Spineless ignorant greedy voters like you sent our good paying jobs to china and mexico

Remember Ford had record profits in 1999. My dad got record profit sharing. My kind afford you the luxury to be stupid

An old Jewish neighborhood back in the day now look at it. You people sent our jobs overseas and why do you support unlimited immigration into this country at the expense of American workers?

LOL

We know you probably mean metro Detroit. Lots of whites claim they're from Detroit but they are not.

Or you're one of the hipsters who've moved back down recently.

You certainly didn't live in my neighborhood, unless you are black BC I was the only white in my neighborhood

Forum List

Back