The Friday Five

1. As a child, what was your favorite toy?
Like Coyote I loved my model horses more than anything. Also modeling clay.

2. Were you more likely to play by yourself or with other children?
With other children when available, but also enjoyed playtime by myself when I could be more creative.

3. What was your favorite children's game?
By myself, using the modeling clay to build sets and make up stories using the horses. With the other kids, sandlot baseball and playing cowboys and Indians.

4. What kind of play were you most interested in?
Imaginative stuff acted out with other kids or by myself.

5. How well did you share?
I had no siblings near my own age and all the other neighborhood kids were a lot richer than I was so I didn't have anything they wanted me to share.

[MENTION=6847]Foxfyre[/MENTION]

Can you still "smell" the modeling clay in your memory?

Yes, and watching the different colors gradually morph into a uniform gray as they always did when they were mixed together. And feel how it felt in my hands and watchng whatever I was creating with it take form.

did you use real "modeling clay" or play dough?

Just one? Blarg! My stuffed Lassie dog, (stuffed animals in general) and matchbox cars.

Both.

Run the bases, Barbies, bikes.

That which required the use of my im-ag-in-aaaation.

Somedays better than others.

[MENTION=13669]Zoom-boing[/MENTION]

did lassie and the matchbox cars play together?

Nah, Lassie played with the other animals. However, broken-arm-and-duct-taped-back-on GI Joe did pay a few visits to Barbie. :eusa_whistle:

Matchbox cars were the funnest at the beach. We went every year for a couple of weeks, usually during my birthday. Such good times!

:lmao:

poor joe.

1. Dolls, I was a dolls girl, and playhouses.
2. I played with other kids, cousins, but could entertain myself quite well.
3. Jumping rope.....we could do it with two ropes going opposite ways.
4. When I played with my boy cousins I loved to play tag football, with girls it was
dress-up, dolls, dishes (we made food from our fruit trees).
5. I didn't have to share much, everyone had their own skates, bike, etc.. (when I was very young, like 3, I wouldn't share at all, pushed my cousin off my trike.)

[MENTION=43625]Mertex[/MENTION]

Double dutch! Think you could still do it?

Probably not.....I bought an exercise trampoline, only two feet from the floor, and I've almost fallen flat on my face on it...:razz::razz: I read that jumping rope is one of the best exercises, boxers do it all the time, maybe I need to get back into it?:eek:

:eek:

jumping rope is great for cardio.... but hell on your knees.

1. I was never into toys, though I did go to the homes of children that I now realize were more well off, and wished I had a G.I Joe.

2. I played by myself just fine, but always played with others when they were around.

3. Favorite game I guess was War, you know, building forts of some kind and bombing each other with dirt balls and what have you that could be thrown without real harm.

4. Out in the forest building forts or treehouses, pretending we were knights or whatever. In winter, we built caves in the mountains of hay bales stacked in our humogous barns. In summer we built rafts of whatever we could find and sailed down the Kanawha and Ohio Rivers like Tom Sawyer or Huck Finn.

5. I was good at sharing. I usually got what I needed. Now living in Sweden, I know the Vikings once called it "Logrum," which the closest you can interpret is "enough" as they passed a common mug around, and each man took what he needed.

[MENTION=34679]SayMyName[/MENTION]

Did you ever sink in your home made boats?

A couple of times. But late one summer I thought I got it right. I had it hitched to one of those big ice breakers in the Kanawha river. We were ready to test it out. It must have taken half a day, but I made it clear down to the lock below Gallipolis. Had my lunch and a bag of extras just in case I actually made it to the Mississippi (I thought that way at 12 years old). My dog Bullet had jumped on with me, and my cousins and friends were cheering and running along the bank. Anyway, by this time the sheriff was down by the locks yelling at me, and the lock warden without me seeing him scooped me right up off that raft with a yard pole. The raft, however, kept going on through the open lock. I just stood there all teary-eyed, watching my dog Bullet sail on down the Ohio toward Kentucky, barking as if he was just as happy as can be. He was going to see the Mississippi before me. I never did see that dog again.

im so sorry you lost you dog. :(

Probably not.....I bought an exercise trampoline, only two feet from the floor, and I've almost fallen flat on my face on it...:razz::razz: I read that jumping rope is one of the best exercises, boxers do it all the time, maybe I need to get back into it?:eek:

Great way to get in shape. Believe it or not walking is too.

It is indeed....I hate walking. Unless I were to do it very early in the a.m. before the sun comes out...I'm allergic to the sun....I break out, and here in Texas, the sun is very hot by 8:00 A.m. I can jump rope in my drive-way, though, in the shade.

I usually walk at night but I guess thats not a good idea if you are a female unless you have something for protection.

The Friday Five is something I have enjoyed on many forums. How about we all have some fun with it here.

A little late as I just noticed the invite

1. My dog
2. Other children
3. Monopoly
4. Sports
5. Very well

[MENTION=44774]Asclepias[/MENTION]

poor dogs.... they are so tolerant aren't they? What kind of dog did you have?

Lab/Pit mix. i was taught to respect animals at an early age so I did none of the poking in the eye things. He did put up with all my adventures though.

[MENTION=43625]Mertex[/MENTION]

Double dutch! Think you could still do it?

:eek:

jumping rope is great for cardio.... but hell on your knees.

The trampoline is not. (hell on your knees).

Hi everyone!
1, after my family moved to the states, it was a basketball and still is, even though I'm 52.
2, To quote one of my grade school teachers, "He plays well with other children", we had many kids my age in our neighborhood.
3, Hide and seek
4, Softball, kickball, anything with balls because as my dad said to me often, "you've got a lot of balls!"
5, Oh, I was a sharing kid!

[MENTION=25493]kiwiman127[/MENTION]

you have no idea how difficult it is not to ask you questions here....... :lol:

Ever lose a ball?

Well actually I thought I had lost two balls when I ran into the Pacific at Santa Cruz, man that water was cold! :eek: But after warming up on the beach for quite awhile, they reappeared! :eusa_hand: Whew!

The Friday Five is something I have enjoyed on many forums. How about we all have some fun with it here.

dirtbike
small group, didn't like a crowd
Kings corner. a card game
anything that involved getting dirty
shared whatever I had

[MENTION=25186]Two Thumbs[/MENTION]

Do you still like playing kings corner and getting dirty?

yes and yes

but my definition of getting dirty has changed a bit.

Dirty-Boy-Girl.jpg

I quit the he man woman haters club.

Depends on how old I was. My earliest "favorite" was a stuffed horse my mom made. Hell, I still have that thing packed away in a box somewhere.

I was one of eight children, I always had other kids to play with, whether I wanted to, or not.

We always had board games and family time to play them.

I think my favorite games were role-playing, like "Bonanza" (I was 'Pa') or "Star Trek" (I was Mr. Spock). We also spent a tremendous amount of time outdoors, playing in the woods, exploring.

Sharing was mandatory. If you didn't share, you got beat up by the others.

[MENTION=31362]gallantwarrior[/MENTION]

do you ever get out your old horse and revisit? It reminds me of the story of the skin horse being "real"

Most of my stuff is currently in storage. But, yes, I do sometimes go through those boxes of memories. The stuffed horse is almost 57 years old and very fragile. It's sealed in a plastic wrap, the foam stuffing having crumbled to dust long ago and the fabric very thin. My mom made it for me and she had that pattern. Later, when the entrepreneurial spirit seized me, I would make stuffed animals using her patterns and sell them at crafts fairs.

Mostly, anything outside. In the house, I think it would have to be Rock-em Sock-em Robots.

7 Kids in our house and tons of neighbors....Never had lack of teammates or adversaries for a 15 on a side football game.

War. right behind our house was a carpet cleaners. And they had an exhaust where all the dust came out. You gould actually make like a snowball out of it.. Wasn't ever any "Got you..No you didn't"

Anything outside...

Like we had a choice?

[MENTION=21357]SFC Ollie[/MENTION]

Rock-em Sock-em Robots..... olllie you crack me up. I can see you playing that........ lol

Hey that was a big deal in the early 60's. Got em for Christmas, they were set up right in between my little brothers stuff and mine, which meant they were for both of us. I remember being the champ of course.

This sounds like fun!

1. my bicycle. Gave all the dolls to my sister. Not a doll person, nope.
2. loner then. loner now.
3. climbing trees. Game wise...jacks.
4. none
5. I gave most of my stuff to whomever needed it more than I did.

[MENTION=42649]Gracie[/MENTION]

I got the biggest kick out of jacks! Do kids even play with them anymore?

My granddaughters love 'em. They also like pick-up-sticks and those plastic monkeys that link together. Of course, Boggle and Yahtzee rank pretty high for them, too. I think they particularly enjoy playing with the 'grown-ups'.

A little late as I just noticed the invite

1. My dog
2. Other children
3. Monopoly
4. Sports
5. Very well

[MENTION=44774]Asclepias[/MENTION]

poor dogs.... they are so tolerant aren't they? What kind of dog did you have?

Lab/Pit mix. i was taught to respect animals at an early age so I did none of the poking in the eye things. He did put up with all my adventures though.

big dog!

oh come on..... you didn't put clothes on him even once??? Ribbons and bows at christmas? :)

Forum List

Back