The Friday Five

The Friday Five is something I have enjoyed on many forums. How about we all have some fun with it here.

1. As a child, what was your favorite toy?
2. Were you more likely to play by yourself or with other children?
3. What was your favorite children's game?
4. What kind of play were you most interested in?
5. How well did you share?

1. GI Joe
2. With my friends
3. Dodge ball
4.Active
5. I have siblings so I shared a lot

tapatalk post

During my younger and more stupid years, I used to play slap jacks...with forks.:lol:

How did any of us survive?? :lmao:

Tough one.....
Chuck Berry - My Ding-A-Ling (1972) - YouTube
Chuck Berry - My Ding-A-Ling (1972)

My second favorite toy was my bicycle.

Either. Friends were always preferred though. :):):)

Year round? Ringalerio.

Pool? Blind-Man's Bluff/MarcoPollo.

Group, Team.

That depends on circumstance. I like to take care of my things. Abuse it, lose the privilege. ;)

@Intense

What is Ringalerio.

Ringalerio may have another name too. It's kind of like Tag, only there are two teams. One Team hides, the other, after a count, hunts them down. Both Teams agree on the boundaries usually several neighborhood blocks, any number of people can play. As members get tagged, they are caught, and brought back to base. You can rescue them by touching them, and they are free again. When the whole team is caught, it's the other teams turn to hide. It's kind of an All Day Summer Game.

When we lived in a neighborhood, we'd play a game very similar to that. We could also tackle the other team members and if you team could free you before they got you to base, that was OK, too. Frequent knock down, drag out melees, but all in good fun.

The Friday Five is something I have enjoyed on many forums. How about we all have some fun with it here.

i had many toys no favorite toy

as a kid and still today just about everything is a toy

and worthy of dis-assembly and re assembly

to see how it ticks

one other child

she and i born one month apart

both the last born in a rural area on a lake

every day was an adventure

exploration of the lake

back waters and forested areas and islands

whatever the day held in store for me

every day was an unwritten book

whatever my childhood friend wanted

she was welcome to have

including my life if needed

that holds true to this day

[MENTION=42969]jon_berzerk[/MENTION]

oohh.... the lake and forest sound great.... you could let your imagination go wild!

it certainly did

her parents moved to Arkansas to retire

shortly after our HS graduation

some years later we met up

at her parents home for a weekend

mom pulled out a box that she saved all these years

of things i had dragged into their home

it had rocks turtle shells small animal skulls snake sheds

ball bearings and just load of other things

she said and then i remembered after she said it

that she would pull that box out on rainy days

and we would play with it by the fire place

she gave me the box of stuff

this was before 9/11 but it still caused quite a stir

going through the airport with it

--LOL

[MENTION=23424]syrenn[/MENTION]

1) Cookie Monster puppet
2) split pretty equal
3) hide n seek tag
4) Macbeth?
5) very

[MENTION=18990]Barb[/MENTION]

cccoooookkkiiieeee!
:)

were you better at hide n seek...or tag?

As we played it, it was all one game. In a dark house (attic and cellar too) - the person who was "it" had to find someone and "tag" them by hitting them with a milk carton.

1. Toy? I had a big Teddy Bear named Tuffy.
2. I played with others most of the time.
3. I don't remember a favorite children's game.
4. I liked girly things, playing house and playing with dolls.
5. Share? What's that?:confused: j/k
6. To add: we always had cats and dogs; I loved them and played with them a lot. :)

[MENTION=42498]Esmeralda[/MENTION]

lol.... did you dress up your dogs and cats?

No, I did not. :eek: That was something we did not do in my house. I was brought up with a healthy, realistic attitude about cats and dogs. In those days, cats ran free. My dad kept the dogs tied up in the backyard, unless they were in the house or we were playing with them. At night, he'd untie them and let them roam. They came back in the morning. They were never any problem in the nieghborhood. In my family, it was considered disrespectful to the animal to dress them up in people/doll clothes. I still believe that. The only thing my cats have ever worn is a collar. The sames goes for my dog, except sometimes she wore a scarf. We used to do runs together, and she would sometimes get a scarf to wear in the run, whereas the human got a tee-shirt.

I remember one dog, when I was growing up, a border collie mix. We used to see how many kernels of popcorn he could catch w/o dropping one. We'd sit on the couch with a bowl of popcorn and he'd sit in front of us, and we'd toss them one by one. He'd catch a whole lot before he dropped one. I also remember taking a cat to the pound to be put to sleep because she had distemper. I went with my dad and it seems like I cried all the way. As an adult, I've had animals all my life, except for the present. I can't have any because of my lifestyle now, too much traveling and moving around.

Last edited:

1. All of them.
2. Other children.
3. Spin the bottle.
4. Playing house.
5. With 5 kids, umpteen neighbors, and a bazillion cousins? My stuff is your stuff!

@freedombecki

:eek::eek:

Why becki...... please do expound on this spin the bottle game you speak of....
Some things are best left as .... pleasant memories. :D

boogy board or my bicycle

depends on what age I was....when I got old enough for sports it became w/other kids.

Nintendo, the original. Super Mario 1.

night time neighborhood hide & seek

I was an awesome sharer

[MENTION=19867]G.T.[/MENTION]

night time hide and seek?? How old were you when you played that?

I don't remember really, maybe 10-12?

I got a new GI Joe for Christmas one year. He was black. I cried when I opened the box. Later he volunteered for all the dangerous missions. He had a beard and a kung-fu grip. He was as tough as nails. I loved that his arms and legs rarely popped off - even when thrown off the roof of our house with a makeshift parachute (that never worked!) He lost one half of his thumb when he held on to a firecracker once....but other than that, he was always ready to play. He was by far my favorite toy. Rock em Sock em Robots were a distant second.

I could always play alone, but my best fondest play memories are with others.

Poker.

Sports.

I shared everything. I still do today.

[MENTION=20854]Zander[/MENTION]

did you want a G.I. joe...and was the black one a mistake?
and all i hear in my head when you said that was Eddie Murphy saying ....GI JOE with a kung fu grip!

[MENTION=23424]syrenn[/MENTION]

I was almost 5 years old and wanted a GI JOE worse than anything!! My friend Glen had 2 GI Joes- one was an old piece of shit who's legs and arms were always falling off and the other was brand new and had a BEARD!!! I didn't have my own GI Joe, SO whenever we played "Army" guess which one he let me play with?

So as you can see, I did not WANT a Gi Joe...NO, I NEEDED my own GI JOE....I even walked down to the toy stores on 5th avenue (grew up in Brooklyn) to look them over...I asked my Mother, multiples times between Thanksgiving and Christmas for a GI JOE. I even asked my grandparents and my aunt and uncle. I needed a GI JOE and I needed for Christmas!! so I was ready for it......

Then I opened the box......and there he was......

GIJ7271LLBeard121118Large.jpg

He is one bad-ass doll!!

:clap2:

I remember those days. I wanted a G.I Joe as well, but that wish never materialized. It was really cool when they started coming out with beards. It was like, your sister's Ken doll had better be keeping an eye out for Barbie.

Last edited:

1. A red fire truck I could pedal
2. other kids, we had a lot of kids in the neighborhood
3. it was sort of like hide and seek. but there was a home base and you had to make it back to the home base without being seen
4. probably playing army
5. pretty well. we seemed not to be all that possessive as kids. then again we didn't have a lot.

[MENTION=24208]Spoonman[/MENTION]

Did you wear out the fire truck...or out grow it?

out grew it. the next year I moved onto a tricycle

[MENTION=34052]g5000[/MENTION]

reading counts. Did you have favorite types of books?

I read half my town library. Not kidding.

The only problem was, when I checked out a book, I did not like returning it. I ran up huge fines. Every January, a stern librarian would haul out one of those big crank adding machines and total all of my fines for the past 12 months. Click-click-click craaaaanka-chunk! Click-click-click craaaanka-chunk!

The total always came out to the GDP of a Third World country and I would feel my heart in my throat. How was I going to pay this? My parents are going to kill me!

Then the librarian would get a twinkle in her eye while somehow managing to still look like she could kill me with a thunderbolt, and she would say, "Well...let's make it a dollar and call it even."

I fell for this year after year!

I owe my hometown library a wing.

I guess if I had to pick my favorite section of the library it was the science section. There used to be these Reader's Digest sized science periodicals I devoured. Martin Gardner, Isaac Asimov, all the greats. I read all of the back issues all the way back to the beginning. And then Scientific American.

As for book books, I really fell in love with Kurt Vonnegut for a while when I was a kid. I've read all of his books, many of them five or six times over. Cat's Cradle is my favorite.

Last edited:

1) LEGOS! (Oh my God, those were good memories.)
2) It really depends. Having ADHD as a child can be really tough, especially when you love sugar.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtOkNZK-m4A]Edgar from Men in Black needs moar sugar - YouTube[/ame]

3) Legos, or Shoots and Ladders combined with Legos and Parcheesi.

4) Never really watched or was in a play.

5) So-so I guess. Didn't like sharing Legos or candy that much. :tongue:

I was a bookworm too. I would spend days and weeks at a stretch reading late into the night, and all the weekend long. My mother (or my best friend) would have to literally drag me out of my room.

By the time I was 11 my every waking moment was horses. I was either thinking of horses, reading about them, or riding them. My 9th and 10th years, my mom would save money through the week so she could take me to a local stable and let me ride for a half hour or an hour. I rode the same horse every time, a fat strawberry named..Strawberry.

In the summer, we would travel to Eastern Oregon, where I would ride horses at my aunt & uncle's ranch, or with friends...or I would stay at another auntie's, where I pulled ragwort an hour or so a day with my uncle in the field, and got to ride with my older cousin, who rode every single day at dusk for an hour, an hour and a half..and longer on the weekends.

I also showed with her...I showed a pony at halter, but I also got to show her TWH foal in the class at the fair where dams and offspring show against each other. Hahaha that's an interesting class, let me tell you. Squealy kicky babies many of whom have never been held away from their mother's sides, lots of whinnying and rearing and such going on. I was 11 and loved it.

I got my own horse (paid for with money I earned myself) when I was 11, and then my every waking moment was about earning money to pay for gas to get to the pasture where she was. I babysat on weeknights, and generally all day and night on weekends. When I couldn't get someone to drive me, I was known to grab my bff and we would ride our bikes, in the rain, the 10 miles to the pasture, hang out all day, then ride our bikes back.

I do remember using Legos and Lincoln Logs. The little one I nanny has one or two premade Lego sets, and I hate them. Too many ridiculous tiny pieces, too little ability to actually create her own things. I would much rather she just had the basic blocks that I remember.

1. Centurions

jake_ff1_300.jpg

2. With other children and there were plenty when I was growing up.

3. High Low, Throw back tackle football, Nintendo

4. Anything running was the shit

5. Very well actually

1. As a child, what was your favorite toy? Barbie
2. Were you more likely to play by yourself or with other children? Both
3. What was your favorite children's game? Which Witch is Which?
4. What kind of play were you most interested in? Make believe
5. How well did you share? Very well

[MENTION=27986]R.D.[/MENTION]

was there a recurrent theme to your make believe?
Yeah...get me out if this family :lol:

1. I loved my Thumbelina and Barbie dolls!
2. Alone
3. Hopscotch
4. riding bikes and climbing trees
5. With who?

1. As a child, what was your favorite toy? Barbie
2. Were you more likely to play by yourself or with other children? Both
3. What was your favorite children's game? Which Witch is Which?
4. What kind of play were you most interested in? Make believe
5. How well did you share? Very well

[MENTION=27986]R.D.[/MENTION]

was there a recurrent theme to your make believe?
Yeah...get me out if this family :lol:

Every adult thanksgiving wish - even if they truly love every lat one - maybe especially if.

Forum List

Back