The Front Porch Swing

My response would have been, "got a cockroach handy?"

The bigger joke there [MENTION=20342]Ringel05[/MENTION] - is that the word "Handy" in German is slang for:

Cellphone.

:) :)

IS it? After the Englishe wort?

Not quite the same thing but in Portuguese you can't end a word in a consonant (like Italian) so if you import such a word you commonly insert a spoken schwa on the end; meanwhile the letter R is (in Brazil) something like our H. As a result when Brazil imports the names of certain music genres the results are amusing. "Rock" gets pronounced "Hockey" and "Rap" is pronounced "happy".

The subgenre of which we're observing the 50th anniversary is spelled 'ie-ie-ie", pronounced "yeh yeh yeh".

The term "Handy" came into being because some idiot at Siemens who wanted to impress his boss lied and told said boss that we Amis (that is German slang for: "Americans") all call our cellphones "Handys", because they are, you know, oh so handy. I think the dude got fired, but by then, the term had caught on.

You would not believe the number of times that my German friends say to me "but you guys call them 'Handys', we got the word from you...."

snicker, snicker...

I am delighted to see that the Boop Stoop is just stooping upwardly and peacefully.

Thank you, @Cereal_Killer.

Hey guys, don't we need a couple of loveseats in the lounge? And what about that really cool wetbar?

And karaoke, YEAHHHH, Karaoke:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJIqPmf_8w4]Yesterday Karaoke The Beatles - You Sing the Hits - YouTube[/ame]

Free-Beer for anyone who sings with, records it and posts it here!!!!!!!!!

Woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The day has been a long.

Working on a project and meeting the KSAs makes my eyes tired.

I can't imagine so long as a student in high school that some day we would be working online (no one then really had any idea about an internet) with tools that allows us to redefine our working environment.

Amazing.

The bigger joke there [MENTION=20342]Ringel05[/MENTION] - is that the word "Handy" in German is slang for:

Cellphone.

:) :)

Not quite the same thing but in Portuguese you can't end a word in a consonant (like Italian) so if you import such a word you commonly insert a spoken schwa on the end; meanwhile the letter R is (in Brazil) something like our H. As a result when Brazil imports the names of certain music genres the results are amusing. "Rock" gets pronounced "Hockey" and "Rap" is pronounced "happy".

The subgenre of which we're observing the 50th anniversary is spelled 'ie-ie-ie", pronounced "yeh yeh yeh".

The term "Handy" came into being because some idiot at Siemens who wanted to impress his boss lied and told said boss that we Amis (that is German slang for: "Americans") all call our cellphones "Handys", because they are, you know, oh so handy. I think the dude got fired, but by then, the term had caught on.

You would not believe the number of times that my German friends say to me "but you guys call them 'Handys', we got the word from you...."

snicker, snicker...
The only thing we called a "handy" was when we lacked the funds for a full service visit at the local "refreshment" facilities.......

snicker, snicker...
The only thing we called a "handy" was when we lacked the funds for a full service visit at the local "refreshment" facilities.......

"refreshment", eh? Is that what you kids call it these days?

The day has been a long.

I can't imagine so long as a student in high school that some day we would be working online (no one then really had any idea about an internet) with tools that allows us to redefine our working environment.

Amazing.

If you were reading any SciFi books back then you would know that there a few who did envision something similar. I was day dreaming about having a personal computer in the early 1970's. I was in college when I had the opportunity (on IBM mainframes albeit) to access data from one continent to another. We are talking really primitive queries but they worked.

snicker, snicker...

"refreshment", eh? Is that what you kids call it these days?

Kids? We called it horizontal refreshment when we waz fightin' the Johnny rebs back in the early 60s........ :eusa_whistle:

The day has been a long.

Amazing.

If you were reading any SciFi books back then you would know that there a few who did envision something similar. I was day dreaming about having a personal computer in the early 1970's. I was in college when I had the opportunity (on IBM mainframes albeit) to access data from one continent to another. We are talking really primitive queries but they worked.

Putting myself through college in the early 80s, I worked a night-shift job doing computer ops on an IBM mainframe, with those huge disc pack changers and mag tapes. Wow, what you guys wrote just broke back a slew of memories for me...

Well, hot damn, that may be the shortest Kingship ever:

In the Tavern, Helena Handbag just hit the 48,000th posting, I congratulated her !!!!!--

and now the thread is closed!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kismet, I say, Kismet. Helena, fate dealt you an easy hand. :)

Folks, I just got this from a really dear friend who is a school teacher. It is a Soviet/Russian animated film for children from 1975. Has nothing to do with ideology at all. It is called:

The Hedgehog in the Fog
("Ёжик в тумане")

The guy who produced this film, Yuriy Norshteyn, is apparently considered a genius in film animation techniques. It is a 10 minute short film, animated, here with English subtitles. I watched it, it is really pretty darned neat:

Hedgehog in the Fog - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Essentially, it is about a little hedgehog who is used to drinking tea with his best friend, the bear. But on this day, on the way, the hedgehog gets lost in a fog and must confront his own fears. The hedgehog slips into a river and thinks he is going to drown, but is saved by another animal. There is also a white horse that the hedgehog sees more than once - but this meaning of this is either unclear or up to lots of interpretation. I was not sure what to make of the white horse.

I just telephoned with a good friend out of St. Petersburg, and she said "oh, yeah, that is a hit with kids all over Russia".

It won a prize in 2003 in Japan for the best animated short film of all time. At the wikipedia link, some of Norstehyn's tricks for the film are discussed, but they are examined even better here:

Gwarlingo ? Hedgehog in the Fog: A Short Animated Classic by Russia?s ?Golden Snail?

Enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:

In the Tavern, Helena Handbag just hit the 48,000th posting, I congratulated her !!!!!--

Zu, you say?? Warum?

Zu, you say?? Warum?

Keine Ahnung! Von einem Moment auf den anderen ging Tavernia einfach ZU!! Boom!

I am delighted to see that the Boop Stoop is just stooping upwardly and peacefully.

Hey guys, don't we need a couple of loveseats in the lounge? And what about that really cool wetbar?

Yesterday Karaoke The Beatles - You Sing the Hits - YouTube

Woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Those aren't the right words. :nono:

Here, these guys have it right, buy them a beer.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo6CYJPDLUE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo6CYJPDLUE[/ame]

Woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo6CYJPDLUE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo6CYJPDLUE[/ame]

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!

"Oh, my darling, how I love your thighs!"

Woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!

Not a bad high harmony there by Jimmy Fallon I must say :thup:

"Scrambed eggs" was actually the original working lyric for the music McCartney woke up with in a dream one morning. Which might be why he was thinking about breakfast...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo6CYJPDLUE

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!

Not a bad high harmony there by Jimmy Fallon I must say :thup:

"Scrambed eggs" was actually the original working lyric for the music McCartney woke up with in a dream one morning. Which might be why he was thinking about breakfast...

Not shabby!!

Forum List

Back