The Front Porch Swing

I had applesauce instead and then popped an advil. Not supposed to take those but I did anyway.
I'd love to be in the country, but I love listening to the sound of the surf too..although it comes with a price. In a neighborhood with close neighbors.

I'd rather go with the surf. :thup:

I was talking to [MENTION=6847]Foxfyre[/MENTION] about my shops I used to have, over there in CS. Wanna see some pics of what used to be mine? Maybe if I stare at them, I will swing back to some good memories. :)

I don't have pics of the antique store :(. But I have some of the ladies boutique.

I was talking to [MENTION=6847]Foxfyre[/MENTION] about my shops I used to have, over there in CS. Wanna see some pics of what used to be mine? Maybe if I stare at them, I will swing back to some good memories. :)

I don't have pics of the antique store :(. But I have some of the ladies boutique.

Posting here or there? Just lead the way. :)

np2gcn.jpg

2iar80m.jpg

34h7xhd.jpg

I had a local artist paint that on the wall:

rlz7sx.jpg

Grand opening day. I blocked out the name and what was stenciled on the window.
2cr9gn7.jpg

This was in 1998, give or take. We were coming home from a trip to Maui and I told my friend who was with us..."I'm opening a tropical apparel shop but can't thnk of a name". We mused on it, and BAM. I thought of the perfect name..of which I will not say here.
Keep in mind this was just weeks before Indonesia was selling off all their artifacts and containers were being shipped over non stop. I was the only store around with clothing from Bali. Custom made, too, with my own designs. And I carried Tropical Tantrum apparel too. That stuff is expensive! But I got it for a great deal. I did very well with this shop. But when I saw hand dyed batiks in Mervyn's, I knew I was in trouble. All of a sudden, bigger stores were carrying what I was carrying. And then I discovered ebay. So..I closed it up and put it all on ebay and did very well too. Until everyone else and their uncle began to sell the same stuff I was.

Sigh

The pics on the wall behind me are of Tim Conway and Carol Burnett. Her niece is a good friend of mine.
I sure wish I could walk and lift. I would open it again in a real brick and mortar.

This was in 1998, give or take. We were coming home from a trip to Maui and I told my friend who was with us..."I'm opening a tropical apparel shop but can't thnk of a name". We mused on it, and BAM. I thought of the perfect name..of which I will not say here.
Keep in mind this was just weeks before Indonesia was selling off all their artifacts and containers were being shipped over non stop. I was the only store around with clothing from Bali. Custom made, too, with my own designs. And I carried Tropical Tantrum apparel too. That stuff is expensive! But I got it for a great deal. I did very well with this shop. But when I saw hand dyed batiks in Mervyn's, I knew I was in trouble. All of a sudden, bigger stores were carrying what I was carrying. And then I discovered ebay. So..I closed it up and put it all on ebay and did very well too. Until everyone else and their uncle began to sell the same stuff I was.

Sigh

Pain in the ass ... how things can go sometimes.

The pics on the wall behind me are of Tim Conway and Carol Burnett. Her niece is a good friend of mine.
I sure wish I could walk and lift. I would open it again in a real brick and mortar.

I didn't even notice! I love them.

I was looking at the half circle on the back wall by the furthest light fixture. What is that, above the door?

Oh, I had wonderful customers. We are in a tourist town so I was always asked by the city to do fashion shows at the hoity toity resorts. Which I eagerly did. I'd stop girls on the street and ask them to model for me, lol. It was fun. REALLY fun. Loved it.
But...shit happens.

Then 10 years ago I opened the antique store. Did well there, too. Wish I had pics of it. Sold a lot of my hand painted furniture, had customers from the valley come over every weekend just to buy stuff at my store. I noticed the first twinges in my back when I had that store. Hauling persian rugs outside to the sidewalk to unroll them for customers to see the beautiful design, then rolling them back up and stuffing them in their trunks after they bought them. BIG rugs too. 10 x 13. Some from Afghanistan, some from Iran, some from Iraq. All 50 or more years older..nothing new. And of course, the hand crafted native american items that came from Hubbys rez family.

I didn't even notice! I love them.

I was looking at the half circle on the back wall by the furthest light fixture. What is that, above the door?

Yes. It is a hand dyed Bali tablecloth with matching chair pillows for a dining room set. I had bedspreads from Bali too. Beautiful ones.

Hi Stat! Give pooch a kiss for me twixt her eyes. God placed that dent there for a reason, ya know. Human lips.

I have more pics but I will have to dig them out tomorrow. Some of me holding up dresses, some of my friend who helped me run the store now and then. Maybe I will run across pics of the antique store. I know I took pics of it..but I have no clue where they are. I have pics of some of the handpainted furniture but I think I already posted them here in USMB somewhere. Maybe in the art thread.

Forum List

Back