The Hostess-Twinkie who did what to kill it/them thread

Why would you support eroding workplace safety to enhance a bottom line? What is you experience and knowledge of OSHA and EPA regulations? Which federal agency sets the standards for hazardous material exposure limits? Are you arguing from talking point issued by some conservative pundit or do you really know about the way regulations work, to whom they apply and how they are promulgated?
I seriously believe what we are seeing in some if not all of this union-bashing rhetoric are textbook examples of brainwash.

These are inveterate tea-baggers to whom the union movement is a major left-wing institution and therefore cannot be good so they adjust their reasoning to conform with that expedient rationale. They oppose Social Security and Medicare -- even though in many cases their own parents and grandparents are recipient beneficiaries of both programs. And their reason for such opposition is whatever fabricated propaganda Rush Limbaugh and/or Sean Hannity has pumped into their brains -- which are made receptive by either racism, or sheer ignorance, or both.

I seriously believe what we are seeing in some if not all of this union-bashing rhetoric are textbook examples of brainwash.

These are inveterate tea-baggers to whom the union movement is a major left-wing institution and therefore cannot be good so they adjust their reasoning to conform with that expedient rationale. They oppose Social Security and Medicare -- even though in many cases their own parents and grandparents are recipient beneficiaries of both programs. And their reason for such opposition is whatever fabricated propaganda Rush Limbaugh and/or Sean Hannity has pumped into their brains -- which are made receptive by either racism, or sheer ignorance, or both.

omg
BARF
As if NONE of us here have worked for a Union..
give us all a break with the self righteous bs

Last edited:
Why dont they just reopen the plant to a non-union state..like South Carolina?

I think their business is hurt as much by the emerging trend of eating healthier than just the unions. Revenue is down because people have wised up to the idea that eating shitty food will kill you.

Is that problem due to labor unions, marketing, product innovation/development or management who is in charge of these department's? What did management do besides raid the pension fund & overpay themselves while they lead the company off the cliff? Price was not the issue, because they have the cheapest stuff on the market. In my company I don't get paid until the employee gets paid. In what world does a company or country prosper when an outside CEO empties the employees pay from the pension fund to over pay his friends & himself?

[The Teamsters decided that if they didn't get what they wanted from Hostess, they'd kill the company. Grabbing the big bucks was well worth the risk of having no job at all. You can rest assured the likewise morons at GM and Chrysler will think the same way, for after all didn't they rape and sodomize the company they originally worked for until the death rattle was heard night and day throughout its plants, offices, and dealerships until the Union friendly Democrat, Barack Obama, came in and said I'll rape and sodomize the taxpayers instead so you can still keep your jobs in return for your votes. Obama did it once, the Union knows its guaranteed he'll do it again. The sky's the limit on their wages only because they have the taxpayer at their mercy to subsidize them until they reach infinity. GM's new plan for its business success also includes selling a vehicle for $40,000 that costs GM $89,000 to produce. What a plan. The miraculous fruits of affirmative action at work at GM
Richard Trumka says he's going to send his union goons door to door to convince American businessmen to see the light regarding Obamanomics.]

"Back in September, following acceptance by the Teamsters. the bakers’ union (BCTGM) at bankrupt Hostess brands—makers of the iconic Twinkies, Ding Dongs and Wonder brand breads—rejected a company proposal to help keep the company in business. By a voice vote of its members, the union opened the door to conduct a company-killing strike and potentially putting 18,500 Hostess workers onto the streets.

Well, on Friday, the bakers’ union called its members on strike nationwide. Now the job cuts begin.

On Monday, Hostess permanently closed three of its plants, thanks to the union’s strike:

Hostess Brands permanently closed three bakeries Monday, including a plant in St. Louis where 365 jobs were cut, in response to a bakers’ union strike that started Friday.

The bankrupt maker of Twinkies and Wonder bread said it’s trying to avert liquidating the entire company, and it shuttered three plants that were no longer able to produce and deliver products because of picket lines. The other plant closures are in Seattle and Cincinnati, where a combined 262 jobs were cut."

The Demise of Twinkies? Yes, It’s True. Parasitic Unions Kill Their Hosts (or, in this case, Hostess) | RedState

A bunch of bull crap. Hostess was killed by the VULTURE CAPITALISTS who bought it for the expressed purpose of sucking as much cash out of it on the way down. The vultures were unwilling to pay their employees what they were worth. The idea that a union strike a couple of weeks ago caused a bankruptcy last January flies in the face of the laws of physics.

you really just believe anything don't you

You're the only one whose theory requires the union travel through time back to January to cause a bankruptcy.

A bunch of bull crap. Hostess was killed by the VULTURE CAPITALISTS who bought it for the expressed purpose of sucking as much cash out of it on the way down. The vultures were unwilling to pay their employees what they were worth. The idea that a union strike a couple of weeks ago caused a bankruptcy last January flies in the face of the laws of physics.

you really just believe anything don't you

You're the only one whose theory requires the union travel through time back to January to cause a bankruptcy.

how many jobs have you had?

Just remember- Obama Killed The Twinkie!

Only a picture really makes sense of that remark

Twinkie.jpg

omg
BARF
As if NONE of us here have worked for a Union..
give us all a break with the self righteous bs
There is a difference between working for a union and being a union member. Which has been your experience, if either?

In addition to what I've learned about unions from reading and observing, a good part of my education on the subject comes from my son-in-law who began working for United Parcel Service sorting packages on the night shift. It was a hard job but it paid a decent wage, thanks to the Teamsters Union into which he was accepted after 90 days.

He did that job for two years and graduated to the day shift loading trucks, which he did for two more years until the company gave him a trial as a route driver. He passed that test and graduated to the driver's local of the Union with a nice pay raise. Three years ago he paid a school $2,500 to learn how to drive an eighteen wheeler and he now works the 4-12 shift for UPS doing airport runs, which is a "cream puff" job he's very content with.

The reason I'm telling you this is my son-in-law, who was a high-school drop-out, owns a beautiful home on Long Island. He drives a 2011 automobile. His wife (my daughter) has never had to work and she has her own car. He now has 22 vacation days a year, five paid sick days, premium health insurance, paid holidays, a dental plan, an eyeglass plan, a prescription plan, and a $50,000 life insurance policy from the Union.

Now how well do think he would be doing as a truck driver were it not for the Teamsters Union? If you haven't seen the movie, Hoffa, you missed an important education. And in spite of how well UPS employees are compensated for their labor that company is doing just fine. So anyone who tells you unions are responsible for the demise of corporations is either exaggerating on an extremely isolated example or is just one more right-wing propagandist.

Whether you wish to accept it or not, and whether or not you belong to a union, you have the union movement to thank for the five day, 40 hour work week and every other employee benefit you enjoy, including the labor laws that protect you from exploitation and unsafe working conditions

I will concede that unions are far from perfect and that some unions have engaged in illegal and exploitative practices in the past. But the good that unions do outweighs the bad that some have done by a very significant margin.

If you work for wages do not let anyone tell you unions are not an important part of your life. Because they are.

There is a difference between working for a union and being a union member. Which has been your experience, if either?

In addition to what I've learned about unions from reading and observing, a good part of my education on the subject comes from my son-in-law who began working for United Parcel Service sorting packages on the night shift. It was a hard job but it paid a decent wage, thanks to the Teamsters Union into which he was accepted after 90 days.

He did that job for two years and graduated to the day shift loading trucks, which he did for two more years until the company gave him a trial as a route driver. He passed that test and graduated to the driver's local of the Union with a nice pay raise. Three years ago he paid a school $2,500 to learn how to drive an eighteen wheeler and he now works the 4-12 shift for UPS doing airport runs, which is a "cream puff" job he's very content with.

The reason I'm telling you this is my son-in-law, who was a high-school drop-out, owns a beautiful home on Long Island. He drives a 2011 automobile. His wife (my daughter) has never had to work and she has her own car. He now has 22 vacation days a year, five paid sick days, premium health insurance, paid holidays, a dental plan, an eyeglass plan, a prescription plan, and a $50,000 life insurance policy from the Union.

Now how well do think he would be doing as a truck driver were it not for the Teamsters Union? If you haven't seen the movie, Hoffa, you missed an important education. And in spite of how well UPS employees are compensated for their labor that company is doing just fine. So anyone who tells you unions are responsible for the demise of corporations is either exaggerating on an extremely isolated example or is just one more right-wing propagandist.

Whether you wish to accept it or not, and whether or not you belong to a union, you have the union movement to thank for the five day, 40 hour work week and every other employee benefit you enjoy, including the labor laws that protect you from exploitation and unsafe working conditions

I will concede that unions are far from perfect and that some unions have engaged in illegal and exploitative practices in the past. But the good that unions do outweighs the bad that some have done by a very significant margin.

If you work for wages do not let anyone tell you unions are not an important part of your life. Because they are.

Union member for two years, Carpenters union..worked for Bechtel
worked at San Onofre Nuclear power plant.

Maybe we can start buying Twinkies from China.

Thanks for collapsing another great American institution, Union filth.
Didn't they get some sacks of dog food product mixed up with the dog food they were making and some American pets died a few years back? And melamine-laced baby formula sent here, too?

Officials: Pet Food Poison May Have Been Intentional US

Poisoned Baby Formula Kills 3, Makes 6,000 Babies Sick
UK

FDA Don't Use Chinese Infant Formula US

I think negotiations should be undertaken to employ people who'd be willing to work at wages so the company can continue to operate privately.

Unions should grow up about investors being vital in order for their companies to have financial backing, and not the government.

Government invasion of every aspect of human life is what we had before we became an independent country. Let's not devolve back into that morass. It leads to abuse and neglect of the people through taxation without really representing their interests very well or worse yet, not at all.

Last edited:
Do any of us here want to listen to leftists giving sermons about China and how bad it and its practices are? Didn't they vote against the guy who openly claimed he was going to try to start to crack down on China?

[

My god
how sad you really want a gov't to do this,,,,
Simple, is the word I would use as well

The high standard of living in the US has been
brought about by movements towards a free market
not by some dictates from some gov't bureaucratic putz

If gov't could just dictate what they want to make the perfect
society then

Cuba, former USSR would have been heaven

Actually, I'm being pretty reasonable.

The guys who actually DO THE WORK should get the money.

Frankly, I've never worked at a company where the executives and managers weren't more of a hinderence than a help more often than not.

Do any of us here want to listen to leftists giving sermons about China and how bad it and its practices are? Didn't they vote against the guy who openly claimed he was going to try to start to crack down on China?

Which has all the credibility of Jeff Dahmer offering to become a vegetairan.

ROmney made a fortune offshoring to China.

Here's the thing. China isn't the problem. It is doing EXACTLY what we should be doing- making sure that their working folks are taken care of by attracting business.

The problem are these dickhead corporations who want to save a few bucks, and half the time hey don't. The real goal is to break the American middle class.

Forum List

Back