The left and the right can't get along, so what if we just split up?

Yeah, I guess I could move to Africa, but I like our capitalist system. Capitalism works you know. Made this the greatest country in just over a few hundred years.

But what I can't figure out is why liberals always want to change this country to an all-government country. After all, there are already places like that. There's Cuba for instance, or North Korea, or perhaps China. Free healthcare, nobody has guns but the government, government is there when you wake up in the morning and when you go to bed at night. Sounds to me like a liberal utopia.
Your reply was either ignorant or disingenuous since you only listed negative countries but left out nations like Japan, Canada, Germany, Sweden, etc.

The level of government that is in your country is not necessarily an indication of how well / poorly your country is doing. Again, if you ARE concerned with how much the government is in your life, please leave this forum and actually do something about it. Your state and local governments (which are not discussed here) have FAR greater impacts on your daily life than the national government.

Just thought I would throw this out there to break away from the hundreds of posts about the election and candidates:

As time progresses, it seems the left and right drift more and more apart. So my question is, if we just decided to divide the country in half (conservative on one side, liberals on the other, and anybody in between would have to choose a side) would you approve of it and if so, what would be the advantage to your side over the other?

As a conservative, on our side, I would like to see much less government regulation so as to attract more businesses. On our side, everybody would pay income tax regardless of income. Our social programs would be only for those who could absolutely not work, and prison would be a hellhole where most of the time prisoners spent would be in solitary confinement as to deter crime. People who use deadly force would not be held liable to the subject or family, and illegal immigrants would be immediately deported or jailed. Our death penalty would be carried out within six months after conviction (all appeals exhausted) and would be made public for all of society to witness.

So to the liberals, what would your side be like with huge taxation against the rich, an unarmed society, drugs run freely, and so many environmental regulations that nobody could possibly open up a business for profit?
How did those huge Bush tax cuts for the rich work out?

About the same as they worked out for the middle-class who got them.
In other words, they created huge deficits and no jobs.

Got it!

Just thought I would throw this out there to break away from the hundreds of posts about the election and candidates:

As time progresses, it seems the left and right drift more and more apart. So my question is, if we just decided to divide the country in half (conservative on one side, liberals on the other, and anybody in between would have to choose a side) would you approve of it and if so, what would be the advantage to your side over the other?

As a conservative, on our side, I would like to see much less government regulation so as to attract more businesses. On our side, everybody would pay income tax regardless of income. Our social programs would be only for those who could absolutely not work, and prison would be a hellhole where most of the time prisoners spent would be in solitary confinement as to deter crime. People who use deadly force would not be held liable to the subject or family, and illegal immigrants would be immediately deported or jailed. Our death penalty would be carried out within six months after conviction (all appeals exhausted) and would be made public for all of society to witness.

So to the liberals, what would your side be like with huge taxation against the rich, an unarmed society, drugs run freely, and so many environmental regulations that nobody could possibly open up a business for profit?

Probably not the best idea. As your dichotomy is oversimple both politically and geographically. Its far more than 2 sides.

Not really.

For big government or against big government. That seems pretty simple to me, plus anything in between would have to choose a side.

I would love to live in a country where government was not so intrusive in my life. I remember as a teen back in the 70's how much less intrusive it was, and often discuss what it was like before I was born with people older than I.

Of course the founders realized this when they made the Constitution, but leave it to man to F-up even that. And as long as liberals can gain power in our government, it will get even worse in the future unless they are stopped.
You could move to an African country that is pretty much devoid of any sort of real government. It seems to be working out for them I hear.

On the other hand, you could thank the government for the roads you drive on, the education you received, or the protection you are afforded by both the military and police...but nah, that would require you to be grateful and think of somebody other than yourself, something you have failed to demonstrate thusfar.

Also, if you actually are concerned about how much the government is in your life, I'm really not sure why you are crying on this forum where we debate about national issues. If you actually do some research, your state and local governments have FAR greater effect and control over you than does the national government, get off of the internet and go talk to your local representatives if you are actually concerned and not just on the internet crying for some attention.

Yeah, I guess I could move to Africa, but I like our capitalist system. Capitalism works you know. Made this the greatest country in just over a few hundred years.

But what I can't figure out is why liberals always want to change this country to an all-government country. After all, there are already places like that. There's Cuba for instance, or North Korea, or perhaps China. Free healthcare, nobody has guns but the government, government is there when you wake up in the morning and when you go to bed at night. Sounds to me like a liberal utopia.

The government tit is the source of all liberalism. College professors are sucking on the government tit, and so are school teachers. Government employees are also sucking on the government tit. These people are the primary source of liberalism. These people then in turn pass their liberalism on to their charges. College professors indoctrinate journalism students who then go on to spew liberalism over the airwaves and slant the news to favor liberalism. Every dollar the government spends is a dollar used to promote liberalism.

Frankly, it's a miracle that anyone manages to maintain their conservative ideals.
And conservative right wingers aren't sucking on anything. They don't seem to have jobs.

Your reply was either ignorant or disingenuous since you only listed negative countries but left out nations like Japan, Canada, Germany, Sweden, etc.

The level of government that is in your country is not necessarily an indication of how well / poorly your country is doing. Again, if you ARE concerned with how much the government is in your life, please leave this forum and actually do something about it. Your state and local governments (which are not discussed here) have FAR greater impacts on your daily life than the national government.

Why don't you quite telling other people how to accomplish their goals? I'm sure satisfying you isn't their main criteria.

Why don't you quite telling other people how to accomplish their goals? I'm sure satisfying you isn't their main criteria.
I never asked to be satisfied. I'm simply pointing out that if this guy is as anti-government as he claims to be, then he could at least address the level of government that has the greatest impact on his life rather than the level of government that, by far, has the most minimal impact on his life. Since we don't tend to discuss state and local government politics here, it would mean he would have to find another forum to yell at.

On the other hand, he could keep wailing on about the national government and, by default, prove that he just wants to complain about something needlessly while not even addressing the factor that both has the greatest impact on his life AND the one he has a far greater degree of influence upon.

You tried that already, called the Civil War, and lost. This time you can leave but you leave the dirt where it is. American democracy doesn't work for you, that's ok it doesn't have to. But you don't get to take part of America with you.

I'm not interested in seeing the country split up and I don't mind a political back and forth between varying ideas, as long as they are honestly put forth. The Republicans figured out about ten years ago that the society was changing and the only way for them to win now is cheating. Voter suppression, passing law after law in the states to try to thwart federal law on abortion, on and on.

You don't fit in here, you have made that clear. Sad to see you go but you are free to go. Mexico needs some help righting the ship maybe you can go down there and build your neocon paradise.

There won't be another Civil War just because you miss the 1950s.

Sorry, asshole, but who says you own the dirt? He isn't proposing a civil war. He's proposing a peaceful separation, so what don't you deal with the premise instead of acting like a Yankee douche bag?

You're like a woman who kisses alligators. On the mouth. And wants the world to know and is proud of it.

Other than that you're ok! :poke:

Well that was relevant to the subject under discussion.

I never cease to be amazed at leftwingers who spew the vilest brand of venom and then have a hissy fit when they get the same in return.

Never? You'd think just pure repetition would steel you for the onslaught and you would no longer be amazed. Like how people in war get used to the idea of dying. And this is just a message board!

I never asked to be satisfied. I'm simply pointing out that if this guy is as anti-government as he claims to be, then he could at least address the level of government that has the greatest impact on his life rather than the level of government that, by far, has the most minimal impact on his life. Since we don't tend to discuss state and local government politics here, it would mean he would have to find another forum to yell at.

Whether local government has the greatest impact is solely your opinion. I think you should find another forum where they don't have any members that contradict your prejudices since you obviously don't like to support your claims.

You tried that already, called the Civil War, and lost. This time you can leave but you leave the dirt where it is. American democracy doesn't work for you, that's ok it doesn't have to. But you don't get to take part of America with you.

I'm not interested in seeing the country split up and I don't mind a political back and forth between varying ideas, as long as they are honestly put forth. The Republicans figured out about ten years ago that the society was changing and the only way for them to win now is cheating. Voter suppression, passing law after law in the states to try to thwart federal law on abortion, on and on.

You don't fit in here, you have made that clear. Sad to see you go but you are free to go. Mexico needs some help righting the ship maybe you can go down there and build your neocon paradise.

There won't be another Civil War just because you miss the 1950s.

Sorry, asshole, but who says you own the dirt? He isn't proposing a civil war. He's proposing a peaceful separation, so what don't you deal with the premise instead of acting like a Yankee douche bag?

You're like a woman who kisses alligators. On the mouth. And wants the world to know and is proud of it.

Other than that you're ok! :poke:

Well that was relevant to the subject under discussion.

I never cease to be amazed at leftwingers who spew the vilest brand of venom and then have a hissy fit when they get the same in return.

Never? You'd think just pure repetition would steel you for the onslaught and you would no longer be amazed. Like how people in war get used to the idea of dying. And this is just a message board!

You appear to be admitting that your knee-jerk ad hominem attacks are chronic.

I don't know how you figure the federal government has no impact on my life, and that my local governments do.

I didn't lose my employer health insurance because of my city or state. I don't see many deductions for my city and state out of my paycheck; it's mostly federal deductions. The cost of all the products we buy today have an intrinsic "environmental" cost to them. That didn't come from my local governments. Nor will my city or state fine me for not buying health insurance.

I don't know how you figure the federal government has no impact on my life, and that my local governments do.

I didn't lose my employer health insurance because of my city or state. I don't see many deductions for my city and state out of my paycheck; it's mostly federal deductions. The cost of all the products we buy today have an intrinsic "environmental" cost to them. That didn't come from my local governments. Nor will my city or state fine me for not buying health insurance.

Then there are all the federal regulations that determine what products you can buy and how you make your living.

Whether local government has the greatest impact is solely your opinion. I think you should find another forum where they don't have any members that contradict your prejudices since you obviously don't like to support your claims.
Really? The local / state governments dictate everything from the road ways, traffic laws, police / fire dept, regulations on land ownership, business regulations / zoning, education, almost everything actually comes from and is enforced by the state or local governments. Honestly, other than federal taxes, the national government isn't really a big part of anybody's life. However, if I am wrong, please indicate how the federal government does impose its will more on a person's daily life rather than the state / local governments.

Then there are all the federal regulations that determine what products you can buy and how you make your living.
What do delusions feel like. Do you get headaches? Or is it like living in the magical land of milk and cookies?

Probably not the best idea. As your dichotomy is oversimple both politically and geographically. Its far more than 2 sides.

Not really.

For big government or against big government. That seems pretty simple to me, plus anything in between would have to choose a side.

I would love to live in a country where government was not so intrusive in my life. I remember as a teen back in the 70's how much less intrusive it was, and often discuss what it was like before I was born with people older than I.

Of course the founders realized this when they made the Constitution, but leave it to man to F-up even that. And as long as liberals can gain power in our government, it will get even worse in the future unless they are stopped.
You could move to an African country that is pretty much devoid of any sort of real government. It seems to be working out for them I hear.

On the other hand, you could thank the government for the roads you drive on, the education you received, or the protection you are afforded by both the military and police...but nah, that would require you to be grateful and think of somebody other than yourself, something you have failed to demonstrate thusfar.

Also, if you actually are concerned about how much the government is in your life, I'm really not sure why you are crying on this forum where we debate about national issues. If you actually do some research, your state and local governments have FAR greater effect and control over you than does the national government, get off of the internet and go talk to your local representatives if you are actually concerned and not just on the internet crying for some attention.

The government tit is the source of all liberalism. College professors are sucking on the government tit, and so are school teachers. Government employees are also sucking on the government tit. These people are the primary source of liberalism. These people then in turn pass their liberalism on to their charges. College professors indoctrinate journalism students who then go on to spew liberalism over the airwaves and slant the news to favor liberalism. Every dollar the government spends is a dollar used to promote liberalism.

Frankly, it's a miracle that anyone manages to maintain their conservative ideals.

I think parents have an impact on that.

When my nephew was attending college, he started to drift off with his college professors BS. I straightened him out. I told him don't always be influenced by the leftist politics that takes place in college. He turned out just fine. Graduated with a Masters, and he remains a conservative today.

You really just went on here about tax code. Do you do your taxes everyday or something? How does your taxes (which your city and state takes out...and you have to remember that all states receive significant funding from the federal government so a portion of your federal taxes actually gets funneled down to your state on top of the taxes already imposed by the state itself) have more of an impact than the house you live in, the water you drink, the education you received, or the roads you drive on? Even if you tax taxes into account, EVERY time you buy something you realize you pay a state tax right? There is no national sales tax.

If you honestly think that the national government has more of an impact on your daily life than the state / local governments, then it just clearly shows you have no clue about anything dealing with politics or law.

Edit: I lumped insurance in with tax code. I'll be honest, I'm not 100% on exactly what the regulations are involving Obamacare, however, it is pretty clear that they don't appear to work as intended. I'm assuming here that most business dropped health insurance for tax reasons, but realize that I may be totally wrong about that. If I am wrong, please mention it, and I acknowledge that the government has an effect (to a degree) on that, however, it still doesn't override the other daily activities you have (unless perhaps you are seriously ill and health care is a part of your daily life).

Last edited:

Really? The local / state governments dictate everything from the road ways, traffic laws, police / fire dept, regulations on land ownership, business regulations / zoning, education, almost everything actually comes from and is enforced by the state or local governments. Honestly, other than federal taxes, the national government isn't really a big part of anybody's life. However, if I am wrong, please indicate how the federal government does impose its will more on a person's daily life rather than the state / local governments.

Let's see, major impacts like environmental nonsense and losing your health insurance for the first time in your life is not major enough for you?

And what about states that are overrun by illegals they have little control over because it's mostly handled by the feds? Think those communities don't see the federal government as too intrusive?

When the feds want to control a state, what do those liberals do? They threaten to remove highway funds from your state. It's pure blackmail. During the Bush years, we voted to not accept gay marriage. Guess what? Now we are forced to have it against our will.

Don't be so myopic. The federal government has more control (directly or indirectly) over your life than you realize.

OP: Ignorance and intolerance like yours is at the core of the division in this country.

Who divides the country more than the left? Black vs White, rich vs poor, woman vs men, smokers vs non-smokers, police vs criminal, religion vs secular, straight vs gay.......

The problem is that the left divides this country into groups, and then decides which side they want to favor and which side they wish to chastise.
Who divides the country more than the left?

You?

Good thought. The Left will not go for it because they need The Right's money to pay for their shit.

Let's see, major impacts like environmental nonsense and losing your health insurance for the first time in your life is not major enough for you?

And what about states that are overrun by illegals they have little control over because it's mostly handled by the feds? Think those communities don't see the federal government as too intrusive?

When the feds want to control a state, what do those liberals do? They threaten to remove highway funds from your state. It's pure blackmail. During the Bush years, we voted to not accept gay marriage. Guess what? Now we are forced to have it against our will.

Don't be so myopic. The federal government has more control (directly or indirectly) over your life than you realize.
You must not own your own land or business if you seriously think that this is true. Or maybe you don't even own a car and have to deal with the DMV. You say that the fed threatens to remove highway funds from your state...okay? You do realize that your state can just raise its taxes and not accept federal funding right? You act like that isn't an option. It is your state that regulates and administers pretty much all of the laws that affect your daily life. You raise the topic of gay marriage, I'm suspecting that you are not gay...SO HOW DOES THAT AFFECT YOUR DAILY LIFE? Do you work for your state and have to hand out marriage licenses or something?

I would also like to point out that, at no point in time, have I ever suggested that the federal government has NO control over your life. I've simply pointed out that, when compared to the state / local governments, its level of influence / power on a normal person's daily life is negligible at best. You don't have to show me that the fed has some influence in your life...you simply have to show it has more influence that the state / local government. As a hint: it doesn't even come close. So, if you truly are pissed off at the level of government in your life, leave this board, go find some place that talks about Cleveland and complain there. If you insist on speaking of the national government here, than one can only assume that you don't really care much about how much the government is in your life since you don't even address the aspect of your government that is most intrusive.

Forum List

Back