The Lefts Pope (Pipe) Dream

Not in a functioning society. An unregulated free market is where you get children dying in factories and coal mines.

What never ceases to amaze me is that the extreme right is convinced that they and/or their children will somehow be immune to these depredations by unfettered corporate greed and rapaciousness.

Because it doesnt happen?
WHat amazes me is that leftists think government is somehow not greedy or rapacious. And without the ability to be fired for poor performance, unlike companies.

Your reading comprehension disorder can be remedied with professional help.

Pope Francis appears intent upon turning the focus of the Church back to the People.

It's a concept centuries overdue and, quite probably, what Jesus of Nazareth would have wanted.

Good on him.

It's about time that Catholics once again had a People's Pope.

I can't recall who the last one would have been, lost in the mists of time and history.

is that what Jesus would have wanted?....would he have approved of the gold and silver lining the halls of his so called home in the Vatican?...

The current pope is staying in the modest equivalent of a hotel suite because he has refused to take up residence in the papal accommodation.

Incorrect.

The free market is regulated by the invisible hand of the marketplace.

If your product sucks you go out of business, if it sells you make a fortune.

How about BP polluting the gulf? Their product sucks and they're still in business and nobody went to jail. The great free market myth.

Their product sucks? What product would that be?
They're still in business because industrial accidents are just that, accidents.
That was a real fail of a point if you were trying to make one.

It wasn't an "accident". It was a failure to follow procedures and standards and it cost 11 people their lives, caused harm to the ecosystem and harm to many small businesses too.

How long before the Right starts calling Pope Francis a

Christian in Name Only?

lol, he said capitalism is the new tyranny.

They already have, Palin trashed him for having "A liberal agenda"

The Right has a new anti-liberal slur to add to their arsenal...

...Papist!

btw, the 'nuts don't seem too keen to comment in your thread. lol

Oh they're just reverting bavck to their old point of view.

The old time US right always hated Catholics and Jews.

In their heart of hearts most of them still do, too.

But politics made strange bedfellows for neo-cons, so right now they are allied with the haters in the Zionest and militant right Roman Catholic community.

Not in a functioning society. An unregulated free market is where you get children dying in factories and coal mines.

No, actually you dont. Another fallacy of the left.

Oh...now child labor is a myth just made up?

You are not rational.

OK so now "child labor" equals "children dying in factories and coal mines". I love how you morph one thing into another like they are completely equivalent.
What parent wants his child to work in dangerous conditions?

Resorting to ad hominems confirms that you have conceded your position on unregulated free markets.

Your unilateral declaration of "victory" confirms you have lost the argument. Your use of fallacious arguments alrready indicated that. Your inability to understand my post tells me I'm dealing with someone who is simply not up to debate standards.

Ironic! :lol:

Your cliched response confirms my victory over your inferior intelligence, knowledge, and debate skills.

How about BP polluting the gulf? Their product sucks and they're still in business and nobody went to jail. The great free market myth.

They're still in business because industrial accidents are just that, accidents.

It wasn't an "accident". It was a failure to follow procedures and standards and it cost 11 people their lives, caused harm to the ecosystem and harm to many small businesses too.
What product of theirs sucks?
Do you think they planned on blowing out a well, killing their employees,and losing millions of dollars a day for weeks?

Your unilateral declaration of "victory" confirms you have lost the argument. Your use of fallacious arguments alrready indicated that. Your inability to understand my post tells me I'm dealing with someone who is simply not up to debate standards.

Ironic! :lol:

Your cliched response confirms my victory over your inferior intelligence, knowledge, and debate skills.

:lmao:

Flattering yourself now because no one else will if you don't?

More documented evidence of your reading comprehension disorder. I didn't make that allegation.
Do you think they planned on blowing out a well, killing their employees,and losing millions of dollars a day for weeks?

Cutting corners on safety procedures puts lives at risk. Apparently saving a few bucks was worth more to BP than the lives of those 11 men.

More documented evidence of your reading comprehension disorder. I didn't make that allegation.

Cutting corners on safety procedures puts lives at risk. Apparently saving a few bucks was worth more to BP than the lives of those 11 men.
You took it upon yourlsef to answer one question I put to a poster. I figured you supported his whole contention.
Do you have evidence they cut corners on safety procedures that were vital? That this was company policy and not restricted to that one crew?

Pope Francis appears intent upon turning the focus of the Church back to the People.

It's a concept centuries overdue and, quite probably, what Jesus of Nazareth would have wanted.

Good on him.

It's about time that Catholics once again had a People's Pope.

I can't recall who the last one would have been, lost in the mists of time and history.

is that what Jesus would have wanted?....would he have approved of the gold and silver lining the halls of his so called home in the Vatican?...
Absolutely not.

And this fellow appears to be the first Pope in living memory - and far beyond - who would think it suitable to dump many of those trappings.

Time will tell us whether this one can make substantive changes that touch upon such matters during his tenure.

If anybody in recent times might have such a shot at such reforms, it might be this one.

And this fellow appears to be the first Pope in living memory - and far beyond - who would think it suitable to dump many of those trappings.

well if he starts suggesting that, we will see how far that goes before the church starts saying he is mad or a heretic....and they need a new Pope....

Absolutely not.

Time will tell us whether this one can make substantive changes that touch upon such matters during his tenure.

If anybody in recent times might have such a shot at such reforms, it might be this one.

well if he starts suggesting that, we will see how far that goes before the church starts saying he is mad or a heretic....and they need a new Pope....

Yeah it occurs to me that Francis might want to keep a bodyguard from outside the system. And read the DaVinci Code with special attention to what happens to his character.

You took it upon yourlsef to answer one question I put to a poster. I figured you supported his whole contention.
Do you have evidence they cut corners on safety procedures that were vital? That this was company policy and not restricted to that one crew?

Perhaps if you bothered to educate yourself you would already know about the ongoing violations that BP have been responsible for in multiple locations over the last decade.

Years of Internal BP Probes Warned That Neglect Could Lead to Accidents - ProPublica

Only when it's a well regulated free market.
Well regulated and "free market" are largely antonyms.

Incorrect.

The free market is regulated by the invisible hand of the marketplace.

If your product sucks you go out of business, if it sells you make a fortune.

There are few more arrogant post responses than "Incorrect" but...

Incorrect.

Products that suck can and do make fortunes regularly.

See McDonald's.
See Mal-Wart.
See pickup trucks capable of towing an asteroid sold in cities.

Etc etc etc.

Marketing is everything.

This post ^^^ is both a cynical and naïve response. The Pope's word is powerful, much more powerful than money can buy.

you better believe its cynical.....the Pope is also a fucking Hypocrite....Jesus would not have put up with all the bullshit wealth that is supposed to be in his "home"....now go ahead and say how naive that was.....

Jesus Harry -- wealth envy much?

I mean you're right about the accoutrements but you forget one thing -- Pope Francis, he didn't build that.

its not wealth envy.....if you say you follow the man called Jesus and what he was and stood for.....then maybe the church should start adhering to that....if Jesus himself would think the Vatican is way out of line with the mineral wealth inside the place.....why would the Church itself not think the same thing and have a simple building with just regular furnishings?....why all the gold and silver?.....why is the Catholic Church so wealthy?...if Jesus would be opposed to you and what you represent....then you must not be following him so good....i was raised Catholic.....and in catechism school the questions i and a few others brought up were met with weak explanations or no explanation....that told me all i needed to know.....as i got older i saw the exit sign and left, never looking back....

Forum List

Back