The Liberal Illusion of Equality and Tolerance: Homosexual Edition

Some of the Same points could be raised about blacks, etc.

Yeah, I heard that argument before. Those who promote it, compare the current day "struggle" of homosexuals to the Civil Rights movement.

There is one difference, though. One can not change the color of skin one was born with.

Saying that homosexuality is a trait that can not be changed is like saying that nothing can be done about changing one's color of hair.

He added three more.

I don't know, guy, why did black folks do sit-ins at the lunch counters of businesses in the Jim Crow South. Why did Rosa Park insist on sitting at the front of the bus? How dare she impose herself on unsuspecting strangers!

being black or a different race is not an action nor a choice nor a learned behavior... homosexual activity is

Yes? Because you tried being gay? You made that 'choice?'

I'm gonna have to call bullshit.

Except that you nor anyone else has ever shown anything even resembling proof that it is a genetic makeup... and if it is not genetic, it is either a choice, a learned behavior, an abnormality caused by an affliction, or a mental condition.... in some cases it may be one or more of those...

Your bullshit call has been answered and slammed

We have and always should have the ability to 'discriminate' based on the behavior of others.. for we choose how to behave... we do not let those who cuss constantly around our children.. we discriminate against those with a pattern of criminal behavior by not allowing them access to our houses.. etc etc etc...

Now.. saying this does not mean that I am against people having gay weddings or being with whomever they want or having equal treatment by government under law... it is saying, however, that one person's freedom does not trump another's... I may think it is wrong or stupid for a business to refuse service to photograph a gay wedding, or not wanting to cater one or whatever else... but they are free to be that stupid if they so choose, in a free society

It is absolutely absurd to allow the intolerant to set 'the rules' of tolerance. Karl Popper wrote, "unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them."

Should tolerant people tolerate intolerance? | Debate.org

But alas, as a typical liberal does, she resorts to selective quoting. The person who made that argument also says:

It is not hypocritical for an advocate of tolerance to also advocate intolerance of the intolerant. What would you have otherwise? It's not about 'defending people who are similar' at all. It's about defending beliefs and standards of behavior that promote the universal respect of individuals without a thought to measuring the worth of their identities.

Germany is a relatively tolerant society today. They have banned Naziism and Holocaust denial. Allowing those ideals to flourish in public would leave the door open for Germany to revert to a state of extreme intolerance, as they have experienced in the past. It's natural not to tolerate intolerance when you know the real-world result of institutionalized intolerance.

Respecting free speech is another question. If you are free to speak about your belief in racial hatred, for instance, I am free to call your speech hateful idiocy, and abuse your evil opinions. My exercise of free speech in response to yours does not impinge on your right.

Yes? Because you tried being gay? You made that 'choice?'

I'm gonna have to call bullshit.

I remember how you chastised me about Phil Robertson, and how you said that my support for his views on homosexuality somehow directly injured you and your close friends.

Yeah, I call bullshit too. Have you ever tried to be tolerant of people who oppose homosexuality, or of opposing views in general? You ever make that choice? Nah.

I wasn't talking to you, child.

Yes.. example once again of those calling for 'tolerance' being the most intolerant

1) If you truly believed in equality, you would believe in a balance of freedom. There is a two way street to equality. You have every right to your lifestyle, but you cannot force others to endorse it.

The Bill of Rights forces Americans to endorse all sorts of lifestyles. If you disagree, tell us what definition of the word 'endorse' you're using.

I say endorse means to accept as equal under the law and therefore entitled to equal protection, and not subject to be discriminated against.

For example the 2nd amendment enables the legal pursuit of all sorts of 'lifestyles', including hunting, shooting sports, etc. We are required by law to 'endorse' them, whether or not we approve of them.

Thank you for answering one of my points, now I shall be true to my word and answer your question. After I address this most current response.

"Endorse," as the dictionary defines it, is to "declare one's public approval or support of." Which has zero to do with your definition.

Then your claim is irrelevant. You are not required to endorse the gay lifestyle, by your selected definition. But you are required, on pain of penalty, to obey laws that establish and protect the civil rights of gays.

The Bill of Rights forces Americans to endorse all sorts of lifestyles. If you disagree, tell us what definition of the word 'endorse' you're using.

I say endorse means to accept as equal under the law and therefore entitled to equal protection, and not subject to be discriminated against.

For example the 2nd amendment enables the legal pursuit of all sorts of 'lifestyles', including hunting, shooting sports, etc. We are required by law to 'endorse' them, whether or not we approve of them.

Thank you for answering one of my points, now I shall be true to my word and answer your question. After I address this most current response.

"Endorse," as the dictionary defines it, is to "declare one's public approval or support of." Which has zero to do with your definition.

Then your claim is irrelevant. You are not required to endorse the gay lifestyle, by your selected definition. But you are required, on pain of penalty, to obey laws that establish and protect the civil rights of gays.

If I weren't required to endorse them, then why are you arguing with me their merits? Why so much insistence that people tolerate homosexuals? Why call people who don't all sort of names? Why would the government prevent me from making determinations based on my religious beliefs; including those of homosexuality, if I weren't required to endorse them? Hmm?

Looks like you made another fail argument, Carbine.

Last edited:
1) If you truly believed in equality, you would believe in a balance of freedom. There is a two way street to equality. You have every right to your lifestyle, but you cannot force others to endorse it.

Just to be clear:

1. Am I forced to endorse the shooting sports? (I do anyway but that is beside the point in this hypothetical)

2. Am I forced by law to accept the legality of the shooting sports?

3. Are 1. and 2. separable?

Ahh, stumped I see. Now that I have demonstrated yet another discrepancy in the liberal ideal of equality and tolerance, I would suggest to those of you liberals who opined:

Don't you dare ever lecture me or anyone else on equality when your party passed laws against interracial marriage. Or when you're willing to take the rights of the pious and sacrifice them all in the name of your version of tolerance. You know how The Crusades went, right? When people tried to force their beliefs down other peoples throats? They were destroyed. The campaign was ended. And so likewise, is this one.

I have a personal question

As a young person, why do you care?

I was raised to be repulsed by homosexuality. It was a given. As I got older, I realized it really was no big deal and didn't hurt me or affect me in anyway. Live and let live

Why do you care? How does homosexual marriage affect your ability to live your life as you want to?

Just to be clear:

1. Am I forced to endorse the shooting sports? (I do anyway but that is beside the point in this hypothetical)

All three of those points are red herrings.

If I weren't required to endorse them, then why are you arguing with me their merits? Why so much insistence that people tolerate homosexuals? Why call people who don't all sort of names? Why would the government prevent me from making determinations based on my religious beliefs; including those of homosexuality, if I weren't required to endorse them? Hmm?

Because although you implied otherwise, you chose your definition of 'endorse' to be merely a personal opinion,

with no attachment to the law or civil rights, etc.

But your argument has been based on the law. You want the right to extend your 'non-endorsement' of the gay lifestyle beyond just a personal opinion;

you want it codified to enable actual legal discrimination against gays.

Just to be clear:

No they are not....they are simply popping out the term "gay" and putting in "shooting sports".

Because although you implied otherwise, you chose your definition of 'endorse' to be merely a personal opinion,

But your argument has been based on the law. You want the right to extend your 'non-endorsement' of the gay lifestyle beyond just a personal opinion;

No, my version of "endorse" is my freedom to approve and disapprove of anything and anyone I wish.

By these public accommodation laws, they (congress) have passed a law which in regards to religion, "prohibits the free exercise thereof" as put by the First Amendment. By forcing someone to serve you because you are gay and they have a religious opposition to it, you are therefore "prohibiting the free exercise" of this persons faith by arbitrarily dismissing their beliefs and rights to act on them for the sake of equal treatment.

Just to be clear:

Red herring is not some magical spell that you can use every time you're losing an argument.

Prove that the shooting sports or hunting cannot be classified as a lifestyle. I can't believe you can say you're from Georgia and then pretend there are no such sub-cultures around.

Just to be clear:

No they are not....they are simply popping out the term "gay" and putting in "shooting sports".

Given Carbine's views on guns and firearms, yes they are.

Just to be clear:

Red herring is not some magical spell that you can use every time you're losing an argument.

Prove that the shooting sports or hunting cannot be classified as a lifestyle. I can't believe you can say you're from Georgia and then pretend there are no such sub-cultures around.

Equality is not some magical spell that you can use every time someone has the guts to say they don't approve of homosexuality either.

However, prove that shooting sports have any correlation with gay rights. Then again, I was never losing this argument. I've taken down four of you already in this thread.

Moving on.

No, my version of "endorse" is my freedom to approve and disapprove of anything and anyone I wish.

By these public accommodation laws, they (congress) have passed a law which in regards to religion, "prohibits the free exercise thereof" as put by the First Amendment. By forcing someone to serve you because you are gay and they have a religious opposition to it, you are therefore "prohibiting the free exercise" of this persons faith by arbitrarily dismissing their beliefs and rights to act on them for the sake of equal treatment.

Okay, then perhaps now you can acknowledge that my reference to Reynolds v United States was relevant to your topic.

Polygamy (or precisely bigamy) was outlawed. A Mormon challenged the law on the grounds that polygamy was a religious exercise. The Court ruled against him and upheld the law.

Was that decision wrong? Did that decision arbitrarily dismiss Mormon beliefs and rights?

Ahh, stumped I see. Now that I have demonstrated yet another discrepancy in the liberal ideal of equality and tolerance, I would suggest to those of you liberals who opined:

Don't you dare ever lecture me or anyone else on equality when your party passed laws against interracial marriage. Or when you're willing to take the rights of the pious and sacrifice them all in the name of your version of tolerance. You know how The Crusades went, right? When people tried to force their beliefs down other peoples throats? They were destroyed. The campaign was ended. And so likewise, is this one.

I have a personal question

As a young person, why do you care?

I was raised to be repulsed by homosexuality. It was a given. As I got older, I realized it really was no big deal and didn't hurt me or affect me in anyway. Live and let live

Why do you care? How does homosexual marriage affect your ability to live your life as you want to?

Why do you care that I care? As an older person, why do you care? And why are you being ageist?

I was raised to be tolerant of everyone. I was also raised never to let people like you dissuade me from having an opinion either, just because you happen to be offended by them.

Why do I care? I have homosexual friends. Three of them to be precise. Two of them are married, one is engaged. The way that affects my life is that I have to be careful about what I say around them. I also take great care not to offend them. If you want to get technical, I am having to sacrifice my freedom of opinion to maintain at least two of those friendships.

Satisfied?

Last edited:

Equality is not some magical spell that you can use every time someone has the guts to say they don't approve of homosexuality either.

However, prove that shooting sports have any correlation with gay rights. Then again, I was never losing this argument. I've taken down four of you already in this thread.

Moving on.

Gun rights are not a rights issue?

Okay, then perhaps now you can acknowledge that my reference to Reynolds v United States was relevant to your topic.

Polygamy (or precisely bigamy) was outlawed. A Mormon challenged the law on the grounds that polygamy was a religious exercise. The Court ruled against him and upheld the law.

Was that decision wrong? Did that decision arbitrarily dismiss Mormon beliefs and rights?

Polygamy is also irrelevant to this topic. Why so much dodging, Carbine? Can you not answer me with a straight face? And yes, it did violate that Mormon's rights and beliefs.

Anywho, they also upheld Jim Crow laws and the states rights to be racist, for a time. Oh wait, you forgot that one, didn't you?

Forum List

Back