The Liberal Myth that the Rich Pay "Virtually No Taxes"

So you should be in favor of the flat tax then so everyone pays the same percentage

So capital gains would be taxed the same as earned income?
Yup

Are you sure? Steve Forbes applied his flat tax scheme only to wages. Not capital gains. Cruz only mentions income in his flat tax, not capital gains. The Heritage Foundation's flat tax proposal goes to elaborate lengths to avoid even mentioning capital gains rates, never including them in the myriad of taxes that the flat tax will replace. Rand Paul at least includes capital gains.

So......I guess the question would be, whose flat tax?

Mine.

It's the only fair way and in all honesty by getting rid of all deductions and tax credits etc and taxing all income from dollar one the rate could very possibly be less than the current capital gains tax

Yours isn't the one being promoted by the GOP front runners, those most likely to have a snowball's chance in hell of actually enacting it. They either carve out specific exemptions for capital gains or they get really, really vague about the topic. While being very specific about other forms of taxation.

Which tells you that capital gains isn't going to be treated the same. With the aforementioned exception of Rand Paul.

I think a fair scheme would be based on one's ability to pay. A method adopted by pretty much every 1st world nation on the planet.

I'm not a member of the GOP

And why in your mind is a dollar any different than a gallon of gas?

Poor people don't pay less tax on gas rich people don't pay more regardless of their "ability to pay"

BTW if one has an income one has the ability to pay income tax

come one now, let's hear you two state it was never stated. Please!!!!

So capital gains would be taxed the same as earned income?
Yup

Are you sure? Steve Forbes applied his flat tax scheme only to wages. Not capital gains. Cruz only mentions income in his flat tax, not capital gains. The Heritage Foundation's flat tax proposal goes to elaborate lengths to avoid even mentioning capital gains rates, never including them in the myriad of taxes that the flat tax will replace. Rand Paul at least includes capital gains.

Mine.

It's the only fair way and in all honesty by getting rid of all deductions and tax credits etc and taxing all income from dollar one the rate could very possibly be less than the current capital gains tax

Yours isn't the one being promoted by the GOP front runners, those most likely to have a snowball's chance in hell of actually enacting it. They either carve out specific exemptions for capital gains or they get really, really vague about the topic. While being very specific about other forms of taxation.

Which tells you that capital gains isn't going to be treated the same. With the aforementioned exception of Rand Paul.

I think a fair scheme would be based on one's ability to pay. A method adopted by pretty much every 1st world nation on the planet.

Because they aren't the same thing. They don't necessarily have the same value, the same composition, the same utility, the same taste, width, depth or color. Nor can I use them equally to buy a candy bar.

Poor people don't pay less tax on gas rich people don't pay more regardless of their "ability to pay"

Depends on the poor person. Many don't have cars. So they pay far less on gasoline than a rich person with a speed boat, sports car, and SUV.

Not if we take into account things like...food. Shelter. Education for kids. Clothing. Utilities. And a myriad of other common expenses.

A person with tremendous disposable income would have a much greater capacity to pay than a person who barely has enough to cover their basic needs. Which is why I and virtually every 1st world nation on the planet favor applying more taxes to those with more disposable income.

If you want fish, fish where the fish are.

Mine.

Because they aren't the same thing. They don't necessarily have the same value, the same composition, the same utility, the same taste, width, depth or color. Nor can I use them equally to buy a candy bar.

Depends on the poor person. Many don't have cars. So they pay far less on gasoline than a rich person with a speed boat, sports car, and SUV.

Not if we take into account things like...food. Shelter. Education for kids. Clothing. Utilities. And a myriad of other common expenses.

A person with tremendous disposable income would have a much greater capacity to pay than a person who barely has enough to cover their basic needs. Which is why I and virtually every 1st world nation on the planet favor applying more taxes to those with more disposable income.

Poor people don't pay less tax on gas rich people don't pay more regardless of their "ability to pay"[/quote]

so then you're saying that the rich do indeed pay more taxes than the poor even using their toys? Yep isn't that something, and then you say they don't pay their fair share and yet you just confirmed it.

Mine.

are you saying that the rich don't buy food or pay for shelter? I'm sorry you're confusing me.

BTW, do the poor pay property taxes? How about the rich? Do the poor pay capital gains taxes? How about the rich?

Mine.

are you saying that the rich don't buy food or pay for shelter? I'm sorry you're confusing me.

Nope. That's not what I'm saying. If you believe that's my claim, feel free to quote me saying as much.

BTW, do the poor pay property taxes? How about the rich?

Depends on the poor person. Do they own property to tax? Or are they renting?

Mine.

Nope. That's not what I'm saying. If you believe that's my claim, feel free to quote me saying as much.

sure you are, you claim that only the poor depend on food and shelter I posted your quote. You wish to change your quote?

sure you are, you claim that only the poor depend on food and shelter I posted your quote. You wish to change your quote?

I'm quite sure. As I said, if you feel that I'm saying that the rich don't buy food or pay for shelter, feel free to quote me saying it.

So far you've quoted yourself saying it. But never me. That might be a clue as to where you went wrong.

So back to my original question: who said that the rich pay 'virtually no taxes'?

I've heard someone claim it was 'virtually all media outlets'. But oddly, they couldn't back this up.

Would anyone else like to take a shot at my cartoon simple question? Or can we agree that the fundamental assumption of the OP is a strawman?

Mine.

We disagree on the marginal utility theory

I think it's bunk and is rife with subjective value judgements

It's you telling me I don't need something so you should be able to take it from me

That doesn't work with any other type of property and it shouldn't work with money

If you make 100 bucks a week then you are able to pay 10 dollars tax
if you make 1000 a week you can pay 100

Mine.

It's you telling me I don't need something so you should be able to take it from me

Most law involves at least some subjective value judgements. And the new 143 foot super yacht to replace the 137 foot super yacht isn't the same thing as say, struggling to pay the rent.

You may not acknowledge any distinction. Most people would. With that sentiment reflected in the taxation policies of virtually every 1st world country. And I use the word 'virtually', just to allow for an errant exception I'm unaware of. As far as I know, its the tax policy of every 1st world nation on the planet.

That doesn't work with any other type of property and it shouldn't work with money

I disagree. I think its perfectly reasonable, fair, and intelligent to base a tax policy on one's ability to pay. A sentiment reflected essentially universally in 1st world tax policy.

If you want fish, fish where the fish are. If its tax money you're looking for, go where the money is.

Mine.

Most law involves at least some subjective value judgements. And the new 143 foot super yacht to replace the 137 foot super yacht isn't the same thing as say, struggling to pay the rent.

You may not acknowledge any distinction. Most people would. With that sentiment reflected in the taxation policies of virtually every 1st world country. And I use the word 'virtually', just to allow for an errant exception I'm unaware of. As far as I know, its the tax policy of every 1st world nation on the planet.

I disagree. I think its perfectly reasonable, fair, and intelligent to base a tax policy on one's ability to pay. A sentiment reflected essentially universally in 1st world tax policy.

If you want fish, fish where the fish are. If its tax money you're looking for, go where the money is.

I really don't care what other countries do

My only aim is to have laws that are actually nondiscriminatory and fair

The only way to do that is to treat everyone the same and not expect more from some and none from others

If the rich pay "virtually nothing" in taxes, as liberals continue to claim, how is it that they pay the majority of federal personal income taxes? According to federal income tax data, the top 1% pay about 45% of all federal income taxes. The top 10% pay at least 60% of all federal income taxes. And the top 20% pay over 80% of all federal income taxes.

Top 1% pay nearly half of federal income taxes

Top 10 Percent of Earners Paid 68 Percent of Federal Income Taxes

Top 20% of Earners Pay 84% of Income Tax

STEPHEN MOORE: Do the rich pay their fair share of taxes?

Do the rich pay lower taxes than the middle class?

The Rich Pay More than Their Fair Share of Taxes | Economics21

What's more, the top 1% pay around 24% of all federal taxes (income taxes, corporate taxes, tariffs, etc.). The top 10% pay over 50% of all federal taxes.

1 Percenters Pay 24 Percent and Top 10 Percent Pay 53.3 Percent of All Federal Taxes

And this is on top of the huge amount of county and state taxes that the rich pay, especially rich people who own businesses. I have two relatives who own businesses, and I can't believe how much they get soaked in county and state taxes, especially property taxes.

Liberals who go around peddling the kool-aid myth that "the rich pay virtually no taxes" or that "the average rich person pays less than a middle-income earner" obviously don't know any rich people and/or any business owners and are basing these silly claims on grossly misleading "studies" churned out by liberal think tanks and economists.

Who says the Rich pay 'virtually no' taxes?
Certainly not 'liberals.'

I really don't care what other countries do

You should. As if the same question is asked say, 150 times by 150 different peoples....and they all come to the same answer independently, that's a pretty strong indication that there are some powerful, practical reasons behind the decision.

I argue its because it makes fiscal sense, is reasonable, fair, and sustainable.

My only aim is to have laws that are actually nondiscriminatory and fair

That depends on what you consider fair. And the basis of your assumptions on what is 'fair' require that a new super yacht be considered the same thing as struggling to pay rent. Most people can recognize the distinction, even if you can't.

Or perhaps, won't.

And its that recognition that results in a tax policy based on ability to pay in our nation and virtually every other 1st world nation on the planet.

'The Liberal Myth that the Rich Pay "Virtually No Taxes"'

This fails as a straw man fallacy.

That was my thought. As I've asked who is saying that the 'rich pay virtually no taxes'. And I got the lulling song of crickets in reply.

Strawman going once....

Strawman going twice......

So if it is your only dollar it gets taxed ten cents and if it is your hundred millionth dollar it gets taxed ten cents

I'm alright with that. Everyone should have skin in the game, not just those with cash.

Fair share means fair share, not let that guy pay the tab for everyone.

So a massive, massive tax cut for the wealthy and a huge tax hike for the poor and middle class is 'fair'?

Yes because everyone will be paying the same percentage of their income

That's the most stupid tax plan I've ever heard. You think someone who's earning barely enough to feed the family should be taxed at the same rate as a bastard who lives in a 20 room mansion with two dozen bathrooms. It's never been that way and as long as there are enough Democrats around it never will be.
see, here you go, the libturds just don't understand math. Campbell, Thanks for proving my point. you wouldn't know the difference between a dime and a million would you? funny stuff the libturds.

We're smart enough to know that you money hungry pricks will never win the white house again. You can't gerrymander the popular vote.

Practice saying "Madame President"

Whydo some protect the rich at all costs? Is it the idiotic false belief that everyone has the chance to be rich? Dummiesthey are. Half witted dummies. Working g 80 hours per week will result in being poor you morons.

Remember MIT romneys taxes ? And this was a guy setting up for a prez run!

Why do the Romneys pay so little in taxes? - CNN.com

By now, most of us have probably heard that Mitt and Ann Romney paid just under $2 million in taxes on income -- virtually all from investments -- of just under $14 million for 2011, an effective tax rate of 14.1%. This is a low tax rate, lower than the typical middle-class American worker pays, especially when one considers payroll taxes, the largest burden for most Americans. It should concern us that individuals of Romney's wealth -- analysis has put his personal fortune as high as $250 million, not counting some $100 million in trusts set up for his five children -- pay so little as a percent in taxes.

What a stupid op.

Where are those liberals who make the claim that the ultra rich pay virtully nothing in the way of income taxes....where are those people other than in the head of the OP.

Uhhhh, there are two threads going right now in which liberals have claimed that the rich "pay virtually nothing" in taxes and/or that "the rich pay less in taxes than the middle class," etc., etc. Those comments, and many others I've seen/heard in recent years, prompted me to write this thread.

If the wealthy are paying 17% effective tax rate compared to the 50% they should be paying, does that qualify as "virtually nothing"?

You make two dubious assumptions and then proceed from there.

Why should anyone have an effective tax rate of 50%?

Does your fuzzy-math claim about a 17% effective tax rate include all the taxes that the rich pay in state and county taxes? I am barely in the top 20% and my state takes about 5% of my gross income and refunds about $100 of that money to me each year. And, good grief, I pay many thousands of dollars in state sales tax and county property tax. Two of my relatives own businesses, and they pay a huge amount in state and county business and property taxes. Does your 17% figure include state and county taxes?

Why?

Because that is where our tax rate used to be before we were running up record debt. It is where our tax rate used to be when taxes actually paid more for infrastructure, education and healthcare. It is where our tax rate used to be when the Government actually accomplished things

We have seen what Supply Side tax rates have done for this country...time to fix the mistake

Accomplished things like what ?

This should be good.

Forum List

Back