The lie that when wages go up,jobs go down

I'm thinking that the reason you don't have "teenagers running out to pump gas" is that

a) more teens are staying in school later

Baloney. Ever hear of weekends and summer?

b) they would do so as a complement to their principal function - as apprentice mechanics in the attached garage...

Nope, they would do it to earn some money, get valuable generic work skills and work history.

but few gas stations continue to operate full service garages.....kids who want to go into that business need more formal training and certification, and when done, go to dealers, where the money is much better.
So, IOW, you're saying that the cost of hiring said teenagers is HIGHER than the cost of putting in self serve pumps and making drivers responsible for their own water, tires, and oil. That's the point, and the MW is part of that higher cost.

Silly me......I forgot that demand for auto repairs was seasonal.....

But to demonstrate that it is "baloney", wouldn't it be helpful if you posted some evidence of the unchanging HS drop out rates and college entrance figures?

you know, like

01_Fig1.jpg

HOLY CRAP! It has fallen by 66% in less than 20 years.

What about the percentage of HS kids going on to college?

ACE1.jpg

Apparently the romance has gone out of spending a lifetime washing car windows....
Your propaganda is always amusing....thanks....:lol:
And you know it's propaganda because it's got numbers in it, right?
No child, because you don't even understand what it's saying, you just blindly parrot it...like a good Nazi I might add....:lo.:
What do you see me "blindly parroting", O?

[
I'm thinking that the reason you don't have "teenagers running out to pump gas" is that

b) they would do so as a complement to their principal function - as apprentice mechanics in the attached garage...

but few gas stations continue to operate full service garages.....kids who want to go into that business need more formal training and certification, and when done, go to dealers, where the money is much better.

Oh, is that what you're "thinking" goober? :eek:

In fact what mostly ended the full service stations was the value associated with the service by the consumer. Service station mechanics continued into the 1990's, long after full service filling was gone.

Regardless of other factors, someone must monitor the pumps. If a person was to be onsite, might as well offer service to customer.

But something changed, gas stations found a more valuable way to utilize the time of those monitoring the pumps, the attached convenience store.

Nope, they would do it to earn some money, get valuable generic work skills and work history.

So, IOW, you're saying that the cost of hiring said teenagers is HIGHER than the cost of putting in self serve pumps and making drivers responsible for their own water, tires, and oil. That's the point, and the MW is part of that higher cost.

But to demonstrate that it is "baloney", wouldn't it be helpful if you posted some evidence of the unchanging HS drop out rates and college entrance figures?

you know, like

01_Fig1.jpg

ACE1.jpg

Apparently the romance has gone out of spending a lifetime washing car windows....
No child, because you don't even understand what it's saying, you just blindly parrot it...like a good Nazi I might add....:lo.:
Try,the last chart for starters....even an on-line degree'er like you should get that one....:lol:

Column: The claim that if wages go up, jobs will go down is not a theory -- it's a scam

The results were clear: Of the nearly two dozen federal minimum wage hikes since 1938, total year-over-year employment actually increased 68 percent of the time.

Simple facts folks....its just MORE scare tactics by the RICH and regurgitated by their simpletons on the right.

Talk about the sophistry of false causation.

1. The POPULATION increases every year, so there are more job seekers looking for work.
2. Even an anemic economy eeks out a bit of job creation.
3. What causes jobs to increase and wages to rise is HEALTHY ECONOMIC GROWTH in which the demand for labor increases faster than the supply.

Period.

End of Story.

you know, like

01_Fig1.jpg

ACE1.jpg

Try,the last chart for starters....even an on-line degree'er like you should get that one....:lol:
It shows that, in the last 40 years, the number of high schoolers who go on to college has risen by 35%.....consistent with my thesis that, along with changes reliability and the way cars are serviced, the potential labor pool of window washers has shrunk considerably...

What does it say to you, Derp?

Column: The claim that if wages go up, jobs will go down is not a theory -- it's a scam

The results were clear: Of the nearly two dozen federal minimum wage hikes since 1938, total year-over-year employment actually increased 68 percent of the time.

Simple facts folks....its just MORE scare tactics by the RICH and regurgitated by their simpletons on the right.

Talk about the sophistry of false causation.

1. The POPULATION increases every year, so there are more job seekers looking for work.
2. Even an anemic economy eeks out a bit of job creation.
3. What causes jobs to increase and wages to rise is HEALTHY ECONOMIC GROWTH in which the demand for labor increases faster than the supply.

Period.

End of Story.
Can't figure out what 1) has to do with the availability of jobs

2) Between Feb 2001 and Feb 2009 private sector CONTRACTED by more than 1 million, while the labor force expanded by more than 8

3) Pretty much the story since 2011.....accelerating in 2014...

[

In fact what mostly ended the full service stations was the value associated with the service by the consumer. Service station mechanics continued into the 1990's, long after full service filling was gone.

Regardless of other factors, someone must monitor the pumps. If a person was to be onsite, might as well offer service to customer.

But something changed, gas stations found a more valuable way to utilize the time of those monitoring the pumps, the attached convenience store.

In New Jersey full-services gas stations are thriving! ;)

It shows that, in the last 40 years, the number of high schoolers who go on to college has risen by 35%.....consistent with my thesis that, along with changes reliability and the way cars are serviced, the potential labor pool of window washers has shrunk considerably...

Can you get a refund on that on-line degree zippy?

[

In New Jersey full-services gas stations are thriving! ;)[/QUOTE]

Add it to the list of reasons......but remember, the context is

"did the Minimum Wage wipe out the Gas Station with Attached Garage employing a phalanx of ambitious young people to clean windshields?"

Neither of us appear convinced.

In New Jersey full-services gas stations are thriving! ;)

I think there might be a reason for that.......

This might be less of a chore if you could cultivate an attention span measured in something other than nanoseconds, O...

Just answer the questions so we can cut right to the ridicule...

This might be less of a chore if you could cultivate an attention span measured in something other than nanoseconds, O...

I have faith in you brother...work on it harder.....it's right in front of you......

I have faith in you brother...work on it harder.....it's right in front of you......

O.....let's move past the bluffing stage....

O.....let's move past the bluffing stage....
Yes please, let's.....

Your move....

You do know, don't you, that only by keeping the MW low enough that it's sustainable, right? Keep raising it slowly and by small increments and there's no immediate negative effects. Over time, however, they accumulate and are felt. Ever wonder why you don't have a teenager run out to pump your gas, check your tires, water and oil any more?

Here's a clue. Notice that the MW continually increases, because inflation always eats it.

you know, like

01_Fig1.jpg

ACE1.jpg

Rein it in, Speedy. Remember, we're not talking about making a career out of pumping someone's gas. We're talking about a teenager looking to make a little money and get some valuable job skills as well as a work history. If he can do that, he'll be ahead of his classmates when it comes time to get that career started, whatever that may be.

You do know, don't you, that only by keeping the MW low enough that it's sustainable, right? Keep raising it slowly and by small increments and there's no immediate negative effects. Over time, however, they accumulate and are felt. Ever wonder why you don't have a teenager run out to pump your gas, check your tires, water and oil any more?

Here's a clue. Notice that the MW continually increases, because inflation always eats it.

you know, like

01_Fig1.jpg

ACE1.jpg

Rein it in, Speedy. Remember, we're not talking about making a career out of pumping someone's gas. We're talking about a teenager looking to make a little money and get some valuable job skills as well as a work history. If he can do that, he'll be ahead of his classmates when it comes time to get that career started, whatever that may be.
Fabulous...now get out there and really sell it!

Forum List

Back