The Limping Middle Class

THE 5 percent of Americans with the highest incomes now account for 37 percent of all consumer purchases, according to the latest research from Moody’s Analytics. That should come as no surprise. Our society has become more and more unequal.

When so much income goes to the top, the middle class doesn’t have enough purchasing power to keep the economy going without sinking ever more deeply into debt — which, as we’ve seen, ends badly. An economy so dependent on the spending of a few is also prone to great booms and busts. The rich splurge and speculate when their savings are doing well. But when the values of their assets tumble, they pull back. That can lead to wild gyrations. Sound familiar?

The economy won’t really bounce back until America’s surge toward inequality is reversed. Even if by some miracle President Obama gets support for a second big stimulus while Ben S. Bernanke’s Fed keeps interest rates near zero, neither will do the trick without a middle class capable of spending. Pump-priming works only when a well contains enough water.

Look back over the last hundred years and you’ll see the pattern. During periods when the very rich took home a much smaller proportion of total income — as in the Great Prosperity between 1947 and 1977 — the nation as a whole grew faster and median wages surged. We created a virtuous cycle in which an ever growing middle class had the ability to consume more goods and services, which created more and better jobs, thereby stoking demand. The rising tide did in fact lift all boats.

During periods when the very rich took home a larger proportion — as between 1918 and 1933, and in the Great Regression from 1981 to the present day — growth slowed, median wages stagnated and we suffered giant downturns. It’s no mere coincidence that over the last century the top earners’ share of the nation’s total income peaked in 1928 and 2007 — the two years just preceding the biggest downturns.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/04/o...llow-a-strengthening-of-the-middle-class.html

It is astounding to read the hateful and truly ignorant comments that the above post evoked from some of us.

Do you folks truly not understand that a healthy middle class was the engine that made this nation so great and powerful?

Apparently you don't understand that.

I marvel at how ignorant and angry some of our fellow posters really are.

Truly we're living though another age of KNOW-NOTHINGism.

It is astounding to read the hateful and truly ignorant comments that the above post evoked from some of us.

Do you folks truly not understand that a healthy middle class was the engine that made this nation so great and powerful?

Why should anyone "understand" what isn't true? Freedom is what made this nation great, not socialized medicine.

You're basing all this sniveling on 400 people?!?!?!?

Fuck me running.

BTW, nice use of the opportunity to brag about how much money you make. :thup:

400 people that hold more wealth than 50% of the country. (155 million)
How is that their fault?

And who says that those 155 million of the lower 50% earnings group will remain in that percentile for the entirety of their lives?....Oh yeah, the class war pimps do.

Rube.

Who is saying it's "their" fault? I'm pointing out a fact...that 400 people in this country hold more wealth than 155 million people.

Wealth inequality is going to just keep growing...and the anger along with it.

ceo_pay.gif

How is that their fault?

And who says that those 155 million of the lower 50% earnings group will remain in that percentile for the entirety of their lives?....Oh yeah, the class war pimps do.

Rube.

Who is saying it's "their" fault? I'm pointing out a fact...that 400 people in this country hold more wealth than 155 million people.

ceo_pay.gif

Seeing as the demand created by 400 people will have no affect on prices, the amount of wealth they have has absolutely no affect on the rest of us.
The anger is created by our politicians who have found that the best way to get support is to create anger toward the weallthiest....and to be frank, how much money anyone has is really no one elses business.

"The upper-middle class is also richer; today, those falling within the 60th to 80th percentile in family income have an income range of between $55,000 and $88,000 a year, which is about $24,000 a year higher than 1967."
Ibid.

Yeah, those are feel-good numbers, until one figures in inflation/CPI. Then those numbers look depressing.
Your numbers confirm exactly what I have been posting. Americans are losing by falling behind inflation and it's been happening for decades. Thanks for making my point.
And by the way, the CPI measures inflations sans the increases in the prices for energy and food! Now taking those two expenses only adds to how much the American worker has been losing out to inflation.
The Nominal Dollar to Real Dollar formula is the only way to measure whether a worker is improving himself/herself financially, because it takes in the consideration of inflation versus wage increase.
Here is the historical CPI data and I already gave you a link which has instructions how to use the CPI to figure out monetary growth/wage growth, etc.
Historical Consumer Price Index

Wrong again, my 'moderate' friend...

Folks are not stupid, contrary to the opinion of Liberals, and intuitively know whether or not - as the great man said, 'they are doing better now than last year,'...

..." only way to measure whether a worker is improving himself/herself financially," is to look at the headlind on the NYTimes November 3rd, 2012.

No one will be surprised.

No, I'm afraid you are wrong. How else can anyone measure if wages are flat in real terms?
If wages aren't keeping up with inflation, those wages are flat and in fact decreasing because the workers spending capacity has decreased.
Here's link using the Department of Labor statistics that show wages using constant 1982 dollars (Real Dollar) values from 1964 t0 2004. In 1981, the average wage for a non-farm worker was $277.35 the average wage for the non-farm worker in 2004 was $277.57 an increase of a mere 22 cents.
Wages and Benefits: Real Wages (1964-2004) - Working Life
Using Nominal Dollars, the National Wage Yearly Average was 14,531.34 and for 2004 it was 35,648.55.
National Average Wage Index
Please note, the the Department of Labor still uses Real Dollars when issuing reports:
http://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/realer.pdf
The bottom-line is the shiny numbers you posted to make your case do not tell the real story, because Nominal Dollars were used which do not reflect the inflationary value of the dollar.
This all looks good, but is disingenuous. I'm not calling you a liar, it's just that you have to be careful when you read something in the press versus looking up something that deals with something set on a fixed standard.

Last edited:

Why should anyone "understand" what isn't true? Freedom is what made this nation great, not socialized medicine.[/QUOTE]

This is the new slogan of the far right? "Freedom is what made this nation great, not socialized medicine." :lol:
If it is............. What of it?

Why should anyone "understand" what isn't true? Freedom is what made this nation great, not socialized medicine.

The new slogan for those on the far right,,,,, Freedom is what made this nation great, not socialized medicine :clap2:

How is that their fault?

Rube.

In what way does that take anything out of your pocket?

Maybe if you spent a little more time accumulating some wealth for yourself and a little less wringing your hands over what others have, you'd be a little less angry about it.

The fact is when one person is overpaid, other people are being cheated.

The wealthy are thieves. Their wealth is solely due to other people being underpaid.

The wealth gain their wealth by the economically advantaged taken advantage of the economically disadvantaged.

The family took you out of the 'nervous hospital' for the day?

Either that or:

Poor richard has a great case for a lawsuit against whoever was responsible for his lack of a decent edification.

Well, not really....it was Clown College.

I seriously doubt everyone who is in the lower 50% now will be there for the entirety of their lives but by looking at the numbers, ten years from now there will be more than 155 million in that lower 50%. The median might also be lower ten years from now.

OK.

Up for a bit of role-playing?

Let's pretend that you were educable.
And further pretend that you haven't reached the stage where you
would post on a public message board without researching you closely
held opinions...
Nah.

Let's just lay it out there.

Intellectuals often make the mistake of basing political analysis on clichés that misrepresent reality. Dr. Sowell shows, for instance, how debates about income distribution in the United States have been distorted by a preoccupation with statistical categories.

a. Journalists and academics alike endlessly repeat that the rich are getting richer while the poor are getting poorer. What these discussions ignore is that people move with some frequency from category to category over time. Only 5 percent of Americans who were in the bottom quintile of income earners in 1975 were still there in 1991. Only 25 percent of the “super-rich” in 1996 (the top 1/100th of 1 percent of income earners) remained in that category in 2005.

b. Over half of the poor earning at or near the minimum wage are between the ages of 16 and 24. As Sowell wryly notes, “these individuals cannot remain from 16 to 24 years of age indefinitely, though that age category can of course continue indefinitely, providing many intellectuals with data to fit their preconceptions.”

c. Abstract talk about “inequities” in income distribution presupposes a social problem, where strictly speaking one may not exist at all. Sowell’s analysis helps us understand why intellectuals so often call for government to promote economic redistribution.
Intellectuals and Society, by Thomas Sowell (Basic Books, 416 pp., $29.95)
An Independent Mind by Daniel J. Mahoney, City Journal 18 June 2010

THE 5 percent of Americans with the highest incomes now account for 37 percent of all consumer purchases, according to the latest research from Moody’s Analytics. That should come as no surprise. Our society has become more and more unequal.

When so much income goes to the top, the middle class doesn’t have enough purchasing power to keep the economy going without sinking ever more deeply into debt — which, as we’ve seen, ends badly. An economy so dependent on the spending of a few is also prone to great booms and busts. The rich splurge and speculate when their savings are doing well. But when the values of their assets tumble, they pull back. That can lead to wild gyrations. Sound familiar?

The economy won’t really bounce back until America’s surge toward inequality is reversed. Even if by some miracle President Obama gets support for a second big stimulus while Ben S. Bernanke’s Fed keeps interest rates near zero, neither will do the trick without a middle class capable of spending. Pump-priming works only when a well contains enough water.

Look back over the last hundred years and you’ll see the pattern. During periods when the very rich took home a much smaller proportion of total income — as in the Great Prosperity between 1947 and 1977 — the nation as a whole grew faster and median wages surged. We created a virtuous cycle in which an ever growing middle class had the ability to consume more goods and services, which created more and better jobs, thereby stoking demand. The rising tide did in fact lift all boats.

During periods when the very rich took home a larger proportion — as between 1918 and 1933, and in the Great Regression from 1981 to the present day — growth slowed, median wages stagnated and we suffered giant downturns. It’s no mere coincidence that over the last century the top earners’ share of the nation’s total income peaked in 1928 and 2007 — the two years just preceding the biggest downturns.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/04/o...llow-a-strengthening-of-the-middle-class.html

Several of my posts in this thread have given explanations in terms of data and analysis that shoots huge holes in your premise.

Further, the motivation for Chris' rant and the real know-nothings who supported same is age-old envy. You too?

I challenge you to find any errors in my posts, and would be more than happy to entertain such a debate.

'else you may be branded a 'know-nothing.'

Yeah, those are feel-good numbers, until one figures in inflation/CPI. Then those numbers look depressing.
Your numbers confirm exactly what I have been posting. Americans are losing by falling behind inflation and it's been happening for decades. Thanks for making my point.
And by the way, the CPI measures inflations sans the increases in the prices for energy and food! Now taking those two expenses only adds to how much the American worker has been losing out to inflation.
The Nominal Dollar to Real Dollar formula is the only way to measure whether a worker is improving himself/herself financially, because it takes in the consideration of inflation versus wage increase.
Here is the historical CPI data and I already gave you a link which has instructions how to use the CPI to figure out monetary growth/wage growth, etc.
Historical Consumer Price Index

Folks are not stupid, contrary to the opinion of Liberals, and intuitively know whether or not - as the great man said, 'they are doing better now than last year,'...

..." only way to measure whether a worker is improving himself/herself financially," is to look at the headlind on the NYTimes November 3rd, 2012.

No, I'm afraid you are wrong. How else can anyone measure if wages are flat in real terms?
If wages aren't keeping up with inflation, those wages are flat and in fact decreasing because the workers spending capacity has decreased.
Here's link using the Department of Labor statistics that show wages using constant 1982 dollars (Real Dollar) values from 1964 t0 2004. In 1981, the average wage for a non-farm worker was $277.35 the average wage for the non-farm worker in 2004 was $277.57 an increase of a mere 22 cents.
Using Nominal Dollars, the National Wage Yearly Average was 14,531.34 and for 2004 it was 35,648.55.
Please note, the the Department of Labor still uses Real Dollars when issuing reports:
The bottom-line is the shiny numbers you posted to make your case do not tell the real story, because Nominal Dollars were used which do not reflect the inflationary value of the dollar.
This all looks good, but is disingenuous. I'm not calling you a liar, it's just that you have to be careful when you read something in the press versus looking up something that deals with something set on a fixed standard.

How?

Let me show you how.

In 1949, someone who worked minimum wage over the summer would have enough money to buy the following items from that year’s Sears’ catalogue: A Smith-Corona typewriter, Argus 21 35mm camera, Silvertone AM-FM table radio, and Silvertone 3-speed phonograph.

In 2009, the same person, working the same number of hours at minimum wage, would now be able to purchase: A Dell laptop computer, HP color ink printer, scanner, copier, Canon 8 megapixel digital camera, GPS system, 32” LCD HDTV television, 8GB iPod Nano, GE microwave, Haier refrigerator/freezer, Toshiba DVD/VCR combo, RCA home theater system, Uniden cordless phone, RCA AM/FM radio, Camcorder, Sony PlayStation 2, as well as several other things.

Mark J. Perry, “Young Americans: Luckiest Generation in History,” CARPE DIEM: Young Americans: Luckiest Generation in History

Broaden your horizons, and realize how you are being used by the Left.

The Greatest Generation survived the Great Depression and a World War to go on to build
a life that favored the middle class over the wealthy, while having enough children to
pay for their social security in their later years.

Their baby boom offspring, as a generation, have squandered the legacy of their
parents with greed for the almighty dollar, and by forgetting about the class
they grew up in, while placing wealth over their fellow Americans. Greed and
selfishness are what the babyboomers have wrought for their generation,
and that is why this once great nation is in peril.

Americans will need to stop the wealthiest and their mission the past 30 years or so
of massive wealth redistribution out of the middle class and into the top 1%.
That is, if America is going to be strong again. A large solid middle class is what
made this nation strong, and it can be again, if we all stop pandering to the
rightwing propaganda and misguided policies that favor the wealthy over the middle class.

The Greatest Generation survived the Great Depression and a World War to go on to build
a life that favored the middle class over the wealthy, while having enough children to
pay for their social security in their later years.

Their baby boom offspring, as a generation, have squandered the legacy of their
parents with greed for the almighty dollar, and by forgetting about the class
they grew up in, while placing wealth over their fellow Americans. Greed and
selfishness are what the babyboomers have wrought for their generation,
and that is why this once great nation is in peril.

Americans will need to stop the wealthiest and their mission the past 30 years or so
of massive wealth redistribution out of the middle class and into the top 1%.
That is, if America is going to be strong again. A large solid middle class is what
made this nation strong, and it can be again, if we all stop pandering to the
rightwing propaganda and misguided policies that favor the wealthy over the middle class.

Welcome to the board.

Don't you want your children to be wealthy?

How?

Let me show you how.

In 1949, someone who worked minimum wage over the summer would have enough money to buy the following items from that year’s Sears’ catalogue: A Smith-Corona typewriter, Argus 21 35mm camera, Silvertone AM-FM table radio, and Silvertone 3-speed phonograph.

In 2009, the same person, working the same number of hours at minimum wage, would now be able to purchase: A Dell laptop computer, HP color ink printer, scanner, copier, Canon 8 megapixel digital camera, GPS system, 32” LCD HDTV television, 8GB iPod Nano, GE microwave, Haier refrigerator/freezer, Toshiba DVD/VCR combo, RCA home theater system, Uniden cordless phone, RCA AM/FM radio, Camcorder, Sony PlayStation 2, as well as several other things.

Mark J. Perry, “Young Americans: Luckiest Generation in History,” CARPE DIEM: Young Americans: Luckiest Generation in History

Again, you are relying on what someone wrote not using constant real data. The writer any proven specific data to back his claim.
All economist use the CPI and Real Dollara to gauge real life income growth. I use the CPI Index with my job in strategic planning for the corporation I work for, it's a requirement!
The only thing I am used by are cold hard facts using constant factors, which is the most sound and scientific approach, just like all economists.
You are arguing ideologically, I am arguing using a proven and accepted methodology for measuring real growth of income.
I can see that this discussion is going nowhere. But, thanks for the civil discussion, it was interesting!

How?

Let me show you how.

Again, you are relying on what someone wrote not using constant real data. The writer any proven specific data to back his claim.
All economist use the CPI and Real Dollara to gauge real life income growth. I use the CPI Index with my job in strategic planning for the corporation I work for, it's a requirement!
The only thing I am used by are cold hard facts using constant factors, which is the most sound and scientific approach, just like all economists.
You are arguing ideologically, I am arguing using a proven and accepted methodology for measuring real growth of income.
I can see that this discussion is going nowhere. But, thanks for the civil discussion, it was interesting!

"The only thing I am used by are cold hard facts using constant factors,..."

ReallY?

Let's review the bottom line: you say folks are doing worse or the same...over a period beyond the current recession...

...I say hogwash.
There is a trend of prosperity that goes back beyond the 30 year period.

There are a number of ways to document same.
The threshold effect is illustrative.

Changes in the bottom limit, or threshold, of any top income group appears to be rapidly increasing the top groups income…when in reality, it is the increase of the group below the top that has the benefit.

a. Thus, as the incomes of those in the second 10% grows into the top 10%, we must now add incomes of those from the next group below. This makes the higher level appear to grow, while the lower group adds lower income earners in order to have the proper number to make 10% of the total. The effect is due to increase in incomes below the threshold!

b. In this case the average of the top 10% is being ‘pushed up’ from below by rising numbers of folks whose income has increased, with them leaving what had been a ‘middle class income’ and joining the ‘ranks of the rich.’

c. Example? The top fifth of household incomes began at $68,352 in 1980 (in 2004 dollars). But by 2004, the incomes of so many in the second 20% had increased above the former $68,352 threshold that the top 20% of earners now started at $88,029 in 2004! Therefore, if one calculates the mean average of all the incomes above $88,029 in 2004 it will be considerably higher than if you averaged all the incomes above the $68,352 as we did in 1980.

The essential point is that this statistical effect does not mean that the rich are getting richer…it means more people are getting rich, and reflects the rising general prosperity!

You might also wish to cogitate on who the lowest fifth of income earners includes...immigrants, the grey market, entry level workers, retired,....

Again, from Reynolds, and from Ferrara's books.

Think hard: if the left couldn't convince folks like you that conditions were dire, they would never gain election!

Wise up.

Nothing constant about the CPI considering the way its calculated by the Bureau of Labor Statistics has been 'improved' 24 times since 1978.

Carry on

:eusa_whistle:

So I see! Inflation has never happened or if inflation happened wages kept pace!
Both are 100% inaccurate!
I show substantiated facts from unbiased and respected resources, but those facts don't count!
Yet, do I see actual facts accompanied with links and data from the deniers? No! I get rose-tinted observations, that totally ignore documented facts that are used by every economist dealing with this subject! Well maybe not economist that are ideologues. I think some are letting their ideology get in the way of reality.
This is a just another :eusa_wall: moment. Ideologues!!!!!

Last edited:
Nothing constant about the CPI considering the way its calculated by the Bureau of Labor Statistics has been 'improved' 24 times since 1978.

Carry on

:eusa_whistle:

The 24 times it was changed,, like life, economic factors that apply to the CPI Index changes.
At one time the CPI included all cost of living factors, but to not make the politicians look bad during inflationary times, they have eliminated certain items from the CPI. The most recent was during the Clinton Administration, when they took off energy and food inflation.
But behold!!!!! There still is inflation that is measured and no matter how the Washington insiders try to weaken the CPI, it's still there and is used heavily.
What a surprise, another deflection.

Forum List

Back