The MAJOR difference between Medicare and Private Insurance...

healthmyths

Platinum Member
Sep 19, 2011
2018 Medicare Trustee Report...page 7
The estimated depletion date for the HI trust fund is 2026, 3 years earlier than in last year’s report.
As in past years, the Trustees have determined that the fund is not adequately financed over the next 10 years.
https://www.cms.gov/Research-Statis...eports/ReportsTrustFunds/Downloads/TR2018.pdf
So this means there are no reserves. It will be depleted in 6 years.

BUT private health insurance have to BY states' laws where they companies want to sell their health insurance MUST have RESERVES to pay future claims.

In the United States and most developed nations, regulators impose required statutory capital reserve ratios on insurance companies to conduct business. There may be large differences in the nature and definition of acceptable reserves, which can make it tricky for companies, and their shareholders, that operate in multiple jurisdictions.
Most reserve requirements are established at the state level. Standard levels include 8% to 12% of the insurer's total revenue, but the actual amount needed varies depending on the types of risk a company currently assumes.
What level of reserve ratios is typical for an insurance company to protect against large losses?

So those people mouthing "Medicare for All" means that 1,400 private health insurance companies that employ over 500,000 people and pay over $100 billion a year in taxes would be no longer in business.

Has that cost i.e. these insurance companies going out of business AND their reserves for future claims...are these claims going to be paid by Medicare for All?

As it is with most ideas spouted by people who are economically challenged they do not understand
the elementary aspects of arithmetic! If "Medicare for All" replaces private health insurance this would throw American industries including health insurance companies completely for a loss.

Finally... remember when Obama said.."46 million Americans are uninsured and over half of all Americans have pre-existing conditions"?

Both are lies.
never46million.png

The major difference is that one steals from me to obtain its operating capital, while the other does not.

Maybe I should make the distinction simpler.
States' insurance regulations require Private for profit health care insurance HAVE to make a profit to create "reserves" to pay future claims.
Medicare has no reserves for future claims.

My grandmother was on that program and her end of life care was pretty bad. We kept her in our home as long as we could to give her the attention her medical needs required but eventually it became too much and was not a healthy environment for our small girls.
At that point it was a slow and painful spiral down for her. The government declined at least half of the things her doctor prescribed/suggested and she was relegated to a terrible existence in a home.
We wanted to take care of her but she had so many issues that were well beyond our capabilities, like an open chest wound from surgery that would not heal, that we had no choice.

The Medicare / Medicare Supplement / Medicare Advantage system is very popular and efficient, because it includes an excellent blend of public foundation and free market competition & innovation. It could be easily scaled up, with a few tweaks, for all.

The right wingers can't support it because they're told not to, and the left wingers are LYING to the voters, calling Single Payer "Medicare for All".

As usual, the wings are slowing down progress and causing harm.

A survey showing that the poor or indigent are thankful for the crumbs the government gives them means NOTHING.

Except that isn't what it shows. Why would you comment without visiting the link? Why would you "funny" (dislike) facts?

rhqsnyelsk6x4jxswxqvjg.png

So that 2015 poll says that 59% are unsatisfied with not having insurance? I would think if the poll had any validity, that should be closer to 100%.

The right wingers can't support it because they're told not

I saw it's effects first hand when it was needed for SERIOUS medical problems. It failed miserably when my family needed it the most.

So, yeah.....fuck off with that nonsense.

I saw it's effects first hand when it was needed for SERIOUS medical problems. It failed miserably when my family needed it the most.

I would need the details before I believed that.
I offered a brief explanation above.
The system only allowed an in home nurse visit 3 days a week when she was released after open heart surgery. We begged for more assistance but ultimately were forced to put her in a home with a TERRIBLE quality of life.

And that was just one asinine decision that expedited her death.

And I've seen first hand the same thing with private insurance...in fact I guarantee there are many more stories about private insurance denying care far more frequently than Medicare or Medicaid. So, fuck off with your "oh, but I have a personal story" bullshit.

The system only allowed an in home nurse visit 3 days a week when she was released after open heart surgery. We begged for more assistance but ultimately were forced to put her in a home with a TERRIBLE quality of life.

Did she have a Medicare Advantage plan or a Medicare Supplement?

So why didn't you pay for a private plan that covered that...oh, right, because private insurance does the same thing.

So why didn't you pay for a private plan that covered that...oh, right, because private insurance does the same thing.
Because I was fresh out of prison and struggling to take care of my kids and wife.
And yes she had a supplemental plan. Even with that her out of pocket just for scripts was over 600 a month for what she could afford to buy.

If government insurance was so good she wouldn't have needed a supplemental

Because I was fresh out of prison and struggling to take care of my kids and wife.
And yes she had a supplemental plan. Even with that her out of pocket just for scripts was over 600 a month for what she could afford to buy.

If government insurance was so good she wouldn't have needed a supplemental
Medicare Advantage plans function essentially like an HMO or PPO. With rules and restrictions. Medicare Supplement plans cover a lot more but still have restrictions. The drug components for either plan have standard formularies, costs and restrictions.

So what she had was no worse than what she would have had from the free market, only the coverage she did have cost her significantly less.

You people do realize that you don't have to sign up for Medicare when your time comes?

Last edited:
Gov't *provided* anything ALWAYS depends on Other People's Money- the dependence is FORCED theft- force and theft are immoral-

Forum List

Back