The Many Collapses of Keynesianism

Depression would have been the correction that a free market capitalist recognizes as a part of capitalism.

not Friedman??? so what free market capitalist?????????????????????

even Friedman was for intervention so who on earth recognizes what you say????????????????????

What's your fascination with Friedman?

as I said he is capitalism more than anyone in human history

And why do you think there's only 2 people in the entire history of economics whose ideas we should follow?

there are no other ideas to speak of. If you disagree what are these mysterious ideas??????????????????

You're ok with only 2 people's ideas deciding everything that ever happens to this country economically?

as I said there are no other ideas- human history has distilled the economic world into those 2 ideas

Depression would have been the correction that a free market capitalist recognizes as a part of capitalism.

even Friedman was for intervention so who on earth recognizes what you say????????????????????

What's your fascination with Friedman?

And why do you think there's only 2 people in the entire history of economics whose ideas we should follow?

there are no other ideas to speak of. If you disagree what are these mysterious ideas??????????????????

You're ok with only 2 people's ideas deciding everything that ever happens to this country economically?

as I said there are no other ideas- human history has distilled the economic world into those 2 ideas

:eusa_eh:

You don't really expect him to know about Austrian economics, do you?

You don't really expect him to know about Austrian economics, do you?

Not necessarily by name, but I expect most people realize that Friedmanites and Keynesians aren't the only schools of thought around. What about the Marxists? He has to know about them.

Brutus wants only the upside of capitalism, and wants to avoid the inevitable downsides of it to the extent of supporting government intervention during a business cycle to try and avoid it at all costs.

thats not true, I believe as did Friedman that government intervention causes the economy to go into recession and depression. THe current great recession being the best example.

News flash Brutus: Capitalism comes with pleasure AND pain.

virtually all the pain is caused by liberal intervention

There is always a loser in capitalism, or else no one could be a winner.

actually in capitalism everyone wins

Deal with it and accept it, or admit you're not a true capitalist.

Im a Friedman capitalist not a true capitalist, what ever that is??

I don't really care either way.

yes you've brought up a trivial topic indeed based on your false assumption that you knew the "true" definition of capitalism. Sorry!

Not necessarily by name, but I expect most people realize that Friedmanites and Keynesians aren't the only schools of thought around. What about the Marxists? He has to know about them.

Friedman was an Austrian!! The differences are merely differences within the family. Marxism largely died with 120 million dead people in the USSR and Red China. Now Wen Jiaboa comes here to proclaim his respect for Smith and Friedman

Friedman was an Austrian!! The differences are merely differences within the family. Marxism largely died with 120 million dead people in the USSR and Red China. Now Wen Jiaboa comes here to proclaim his respect for Smith and Friedman

:lol:

Friedman was not an Austrian, and if you think the Marxists went away after the collapse of the Soviet Union you're sadly mistaken.

:lol:

Friedman was not an Austrian, and if you think the Marxists went away after the collapse of the Soviet Union you're sadly mistaken.

Friedman was an Austrian :lol:

It probably would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

I find it really interesting that there's all these "free market capitalists" on here who support TARP.

capitalism does not mean you can't support your kid while he is young. Tarp was better than depression-case closed. Feeding your kid is better than letting him starve to death

So there IS a role for government intervention that is good and right, then?

Like when it saves the BANSTERS from the effects of honest capitalism?

It's okay to save the rich when the rich fuck up, and then to alco FORCE the working classes to pay for it.

Got it.

Thanks for showing us how the GOP partisan's mind views the role of government.

Incidently, I apporved of saving the economic system from meltdown, too.

However, I'd have thrown one hell of a lot of banks into recievership while I was doing that.

You see I actually believe in CAPITALISM, unlike the GOP por DNC.

And yes, one can totally support capitalism and still think Keynesian responses are sometimes necessary.

One can also support capitalism and think sometimes SUPPLY SIDE responses are a good idea.

I think this is fair. Freud's Narcissism of Small Differences and all that. It's kind of like differentiating between Fabians and Trotskyites.

Brutus wants only the upside of capitalism, and wants to avoid the inevitable downsides of it to the extent of supporting government intervention during a business cycle to try and avoid it at all costs.

News flash Brutus: Capitalism comes with pleasure AND pain. There is always a loser in capitalism, or else no one could be a winner.

Deal with it and accept it, or admit you're not a true capitalist. I don't really care either way.

Of course it's the government interventions that cause the downside that Brutus wants the government intervention to solve.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

so capitalism solves everything and harms no one?

were did you get this dream vision of reality?

I think this is fair. Freud's Narcissism of Small Differences and all that. It's kind of like differentiating between Fabians and Trotskyites.

They may be small in some sense, as Friedman may have been mostly for the free market, but they were rather drastic differences in actuality. The Austrian position on the Federal Reserve and Friedman's position, for example, would lead to very different outcomes.

They may be small in some sense, as Friedman may have been mostly for the free market, but they were rather drastic differences in actuality. The Austrian position on the Federal Reserve and Friedman's position, for example, would lead to very different outcomes.

Not necessarily. Friedman generally agreed that inflation was a monetary problem.

The thing about Keynesian economics is that in good times you were supposed to cutr back on gov't spending and pay down your debts. Dems seem to leave that part out. And repubs too, to be fair.

Sure doesn't look like priming the pump so to speak for increasing demand is working. Maybe if we didn't have such anti-business, anti-growth policies in place, things might be different.

The thing about Keynesian economics is that in good times you were supposed to cutr back on gov't spending and pay down your debts. Dems seem to leave that part out. And repubs too, to be fair.

Sure doesn't look like priming the pump so to speak for increasing demand is working. Maybe if we didn't have such anti-business, anti-growth policies in place, things might be different.

EXACTLY!

If you read what Keynes wrote, he said that spending should be cut when the economy recovers, and that governments should use surpluses to pay back debt when the economy is growing. Politicians generally do not do this. They just keep spending and running deficits.

Somewhere I had read that Keynes thought the government shouldn't be more than 25% of the economy, though I don't know if that's true or not.

I dunno if Keynes ever put an upper limit on gov't spending, or if he included public debt into the equation for how much to increase gov't spending. Haven't found a reference for that so far.

Well it's the Fed that caused the recession, but it's true that Obama's prolonged it with his policies.

the Fed with a huge assist from Fanny Freddie who bought the mortgages and so gave the banks even more to lend.

Its more accurate to simply say liberalism caused the recession.

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.
Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Utter bullshit. How can we possibly make the proper changes moving forward, when a segment of the population has no clue as to how we got in this mess.

Private sector loans, not Fannie or Freddie, triggered crisis.

* More than 84 percent of the subprime mortgages in 2006 were issued by private lending institutions.

* Private firms made nearly 83 percent of the subprime loans to low- and moderate-income borrowers that year.

* Only one of the top 25 subprime lenders in 2006 was directly subject to the housing law that's being lambasted by conservative critics.

Between 2004 and 2006, when subprime lending was exploding, Fannie and Freddie went from holding a high of 48 percent of the subprime loans that were sold into the secondary market to holding about 24 percent, according to data from Inside Mortgage Finance, a specialty publication. One reason is that Fannie and Freddie were subject to tougher standards than many of the unregulated players in the private sector who weakened lending standards, most of whom have gone bankrupt or are now in deep trouble.

During those same explosive three years, private investment banks — not Fannie and Freddie — dominated the mortgage loans that were packaged and sold into the secondary mortgage market. In 2005 and 2006, the private sector securitized almost two thirds of all U.S. mortgages, supplanting Fannie and Freddie, according to a number of specialty publications that track this data.

Not necessarily. Friedman generally agreed that inflation was a monetary problem.

That may be, but did he want to abolish central planning all together and allow the market to determine the medium of exchange and to set interest rates naturally?

Well it's the Fed that caused the recession, but it's true that Obama's prolonged it with his policies.

the Fed with a huge assist from Fanny Freddie who bought the mortgages and so gave the banks even more to lend.

Its more accurate to simply say liberalism caused the recession.

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.
Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Utter bullshit. How can we possibly make the proper changes moving forward, when a segment of the population has no clue as to how we got in this mess.

Private sector loans, not Fannie or Freddie, triggered crisis.

* More than 84 percent of the subprime mortgages in 2006 were issued by private lending institutions.

* Private firms made nearly 83 percent of the subprime loans to low- and moderate-income borrowers that year.

* Only one of the top 25 subprime lenders in 2006 was directly subject to the housing law that's being lambasted by conservative critics.

Between 2004 and 2006, when subprime lending was exploding, Fannie and Freddie went from holding a high of 48 percent of the subprime loans that were sold into the secondary market to holding about 24 percent, according to data from Inside Mortgage Finance, a specialty publication. One reason is that Fannie and Freddie were subject to tougher standards than many of the unregulated players in the private sector who weakened lending standards, most of whom have gone bankrupt or are now in deep trouble.

During those same explosive three years, private investment banks — not Fannie and Freddie — dominated the mortgage loans that were packaged and sold into the secondary mortgage market. In 2005 and 2006, the private sector securitized almost two thirds of all U.S. mortgages, supplanting Fannie and Freddie, according to a number of specialty publications that track this data.

How indeed. Of course private lenders were behaving dangerously as much as public lenders were, and who made it possible for this to happen? The Federal Reserve.

Forum List

Back