The Mysterious Disappearance of Influenza.

Mindful

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2014
Here, there, and everywhere.
Yesterday, CDC advisers voted unanimously to add Corona vaccines to child immunisation schedules, and today the European Medicines Agency approved Pfizer/BioNTech and Moderna vaccines for use in infants in the European Union. I find these developments too depressing to discuss. The doses administered under these rules will kill a small but nontrivial number of children in exchange for nothing at all. That the vaccines don’t prevent transmission, that children are at zero risk from Omicron infection, that all of this pointless – none of this matters. Making these arguments is like talking to a wall for all the effect that it has.

Instead of boring you with the obvious, I want to return to a phenomenon I’ve alluded to a few times now, namely the disappearance of influenza during the pandemic. Every time I mention this, the commentariat voice their scepticism, and I’ve long planned a single post explaining my reasons for thinking a) that influenza really did disappear in 2020 and 2021; b) that this had nothing to do with lockdowns and everything to do with the emergence of a new pathogen and its disturbance of the broader virological ecosystem; and c) that we cannot so easily put this vanishing act down to shifts in testing or diagnosis caused by Coronasteria. To prove these points I’ll use German data, which I’m the most familiar with, but you could argue similarly with CDC numbers, or the statistics of many other countries.

Instead of boring you with the obvious, I want to return to a phenomenon I’ve alluded to a few times now, namely the disappearance of influenza during the pandemic

Ummmm……maybe because people were wearing masks, socially distancing, large groups of people were banned, people working from home

You know, the same things that prevent influenza

Yesterday, CDC advisers voted unanimously to add Corona vaccines to child immunisation schedules, and today the European Medicines Agency approved Pfizer/BioNTech and Moderna vaccines for use in infants in the European Union. I find these developments too depressing to discuss. The doses administered under these rules will kill a small but nontrivial number of children in exchange for nothing at all. That the vaccines don’t prevent transmission, that children are at zero risk from Omicron infection, that all of this pointless – none of this matters. Making these arguments is like talking to a wall for all the effect that it has.

Instead of boring you with the obvious, I want to return to a phenomenon I’ve alluded to a few times now, namely the disappearance of influenza during the pandemic. Every time I mention this, the commentariat voice their scepticism, and I’ve long planned a single post explaining my reasons for thinking a) that influenza really did disappear in 2020 and 2021; b) that this had nothing to do with lockdowns and everything to do with the emergence of a new pathogen and its disturbance of the broader virological ecosystem; and c) that we cannot so easily put this vanishing act down to shifts in testing or diagnosis caused by Coronasteria. To prove these points I’ll use German data, which I’m the most familiar with, but you could argue similarly with CDC numbers, or the statistics of many other countries.

Did COVID destroy influenza? I wish we had survivors or eye witness accounts.

You think masks work?
Actually the disappearance of influenza proves they work.

It's a simple matter of measures taken to control or restrain more virulent organisms, will control or kill off the less virulent first.

So the measures like masks, washing hands, and socially distancing while less effective against COVID, were effective against the much less virulent influenza viruses.

Oh, we ain't done with it.

Quick, panic, get that shot...
OMG HAIR ON FIRE.gif

Yeah. Never get that shot either, and never get the flu.

Forum List

Back