The need to make churches pay tax

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's your problem.

I do,

No business should be exempt from any taxes. No person should be exempt from any taxes.

because you hate religion and want to use the government to punish it.

JoeBlow has a new sidekick.
So not having special legal status is now a punishment?

If that's your definition of punishment then EVERY person and EVERY business is being punished NOT the churches.

it's your reason for all this, protests about fairness aside.
No it's not.

I do not think anyone or any business should have special status in the United States. You do.

It's not special status, it's the tax code.

It is a legal special status given by LAW. Therefore it violates the first amendment.

Only if it singles out specific religions. That is establishment. Plus they use the same rules for non-sectarian non-profits.

But they do single out specific religions. Who decides if a religion is "real" or not?

That's up to the agency in question, same as deciding what is profit or non profit.

Yes. And it's just as wrong in my view. But in any case, non-profits aren't protected by the First Amendment. Religion is.

To allow free exercise they lumped in Religious organizations as non profit as long as they follow the rules.

That doesn't "allow free exercise". It just gives government approved religions a perk.

It certainly allows free-er exercise.

So I guess you want to see St Patrick's Cathedral and most of the synagogues in Manhattan taken down due to property taxes right?

Because taxing them is what that would result in.

If that's your definition of punishment then EVERY person and EVERY business is being punished NOT the churches.

No it's not.

I do not think anyone or any business should have special status in the United States. You do.

The tax code is replete with special status. That's its worst conceit.

Nothing special about it.

Of course they are.

Who pays for the fire department when the church catches fire? The parishioners?
Who pays the cops when they respond to a break in at a church? The parishioners?

No everyone is forced to pay for those protections of a religious establishment.

The church depends as much on services funded by tax dollars as anyone else

So i guess we deny police and fire protection to people who are too poor to pay taxes then as well right?

Dumb logic chain is dumb....
Those poor people pay property taxes via their rent, they pay state and local sales taxes

The church doesn't

They pay taxes via payment to their staff as income.

and the churches pay sales taxes for items not related to Church activities.

No their STAFF pays the taxes NOT the legal entity that is the church.

My staff pays taxes too. But so does the legal entity that is my business. I pay property taxes that are in the corporations name. My corporation pays sales taxes on all supplies not for resale churches do not pay the taxes that every other business pays

because you are talking about a business, not a non-profit.

Give up your profit and you can be one too!

Nonprofits ARE businesses. If they weren't they would not have to comply with OSHA laws, they would not have to pay workman's comp, they would not have to pay payroll taxes etc.

If they want to be nonprofit they need no special status all they have to do is ensure that their revenue does not exceed their expenses

No it's not.

It is a legal special status given by LAW. Therefore it violates the first amendment.

given to any group that can register as a non profit, regardless of religion. All religion gets is a bit less paperwork.

But they do single out specific religions. Who decides if a religion is "real" or not?

That's up to the agency in question, same as deciding what is profit or non profit.

Yes. And it's just as wrong in my view. But in any case, non-profits aren't protected by the First Amendment. Religion is.

To allow free exercise they lumped in Religious organizations as non profit as long as they follow the rules.

That doesn't "allow free exercise". It just gives government approved religions a perk.

So I guess you want to see St Patrick's Cathedral and most of the synagogues in Manhattan taken down due to property taxes right?

SO what?

You don't need a multi-million dollar property to freely practice religion

So i guess we deny police and fire protection to people who are too poor to pay taxes then as well right?

Dumb logic chain is dumb....
Those poor people pay property taxes via their rent, they pay state and local sales taxes

The church doesn't

My staff pays taxes too. But so does the legal entity that is my business. I pay property taxes that are in the corporations name. My corporation pays sales taxes on all supplies not for resale churches do not pay the taxes that every other business pays

Nonprofits ARE businesses. If they weren't they would not have to comply with OSHA laws, they would not have to pay workman's comp, they would not have to pay payroll taxes etc.

If they want to be nonprofit they need no special status all they have to do is ensure that their revenue does not exceed their expenses

Back to the "gotcha" moment attempt.

"So sorry you made a profit of $2!!! now we get to seize all your assets so Skull Pilot can get a boner and wank off to your demise!!!!"

No it's not.

Well, I won't debate the meaning of "special" with you. But it clearly gives some organizations tax exempt status, and not others. That's the problem. You still haven't justified why that should be.

No it's not.

given to any group that can register as a non profit, regardless of religion. All religion gets is a bit less paperwork.

Again there need be no special nonprofit status that exempts a business from paying taxes that other businesses pay

Give it up Marty - You lost the thread an hour ago ;)

Nope. and checking with several articles the For Profit mormon businesses like the mall do register as regular corporations, and thus pay all taxes.

You are confusing them with the non-profit holding company that handles the church related properties.

Two separate organizations.

The church doesn't

"So sorry you made a profit of $2!!! now we get to seize all your assets so Skull Pilot can get a boner and wank off to your demise!!!!"

I would have to pay taxes on the 2 dollars so a religious establishment should not get preferred status

SO what?

And your bias now blends into your envy.

Yes, because an office tower would be Soooo much better there...

Or you could do what anti-religious idiots like the Russians did, seize it and turn it into a museum.

No it's not.

Well, I won't debate the meaning of "special" with you. But it clearly gives some organizations tax exempt status, and not others. That's the problem. You still haven't justified why that should be.

And you haven't justified taxing non-profits besides being cranky about someone you don't like not paying taxes

SO what?

Or you could do what anti-religious idiots like the Russians did, seize it and turn it into a museum.

It doesn't matter what the property is. Any legal religious entity owning real estate that does not pay real estate taxes is given special treatment by law which is a violation of the first amendment

I would have to pay taxes on the 2 dollars so a religious establishment should not get preferred status

Again, all this has to do with a combination of your own hate and a bit of jealousy.

What a baby you are.

SO what?

It doesn't matter what the property is. Any legal religious entity owning real estate that does not pay real estate taxes is given special treatment by law which is a violation of the first amendment

No, they are given a waiver due to their status as a non profit. No special treatment, it's available to any non-profit.

Again, all this has to do with a combination of your own hate and a bit of jealousy.

What a baby you are.

All you have left is name calling.

You have lost the argument

Nope. and checking with several articles the For Profit mormon businesses like the mall do register as regular corporations, and thus pay all taxes.

You are confusing them with the non-profit holding company that handles the church related properties.

Two separate organizations.

Yep - missed it dinya?

The Mormon Church’s massive global business holdings are run as tax-free enterprises owned outright by the Church. Thus, the Mormon Church does not likely pay any federal, state or local taxes on all of its income and profits. The Mormon Church does not have to file a 990 IRS tax return like other charities, because of the religious exemption. There is absolutely no transparency from the Mormon Church.

SO what?

No, they are given a waiver due to their status as a non profit. No special treatment, it's available to any non-profit.

AND NO BUSINESS SHOULD BE GIVEN SPECIAL STATUS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back