🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

The Occupy Wall Street Movement is WORKING!!!

I always love reading about comparisons of OWS and Teabaggers.

It's quite a different thing when you're fighting against the establishment that's been set up for the longest time, compared to just bitching about the newest guy in the white house. Plus, when was the last time you saw the tea partiers out there for longer than a day or two? That's right, you don't. Let me assure you, if those tea party members were out there for any length of time compared to the occupy wall street individuals with the same circumstances, they'd be stinking up the joint just as much as anybody else. Maybe even moreso? Those are some unhealthy individuals we've seen at the tea party rallies.

The response back of course is always, "well we have jobs, so get a job you hippie." That's okay, they can afford to say that and go back home because they have boat loads of lobbyists doing their work for them. The OWS individuals fighting against the status quo don't have that luxury.

But here's the problem...

You aren't having any real effect on the Wall Street people.. YOu are annoying working folks on their way to their jobs, working folks doing their jobs (police, park workers) working folks who maybe wanted to go to the park and have a nice time withte family

In short, you are becoming what the hippies were 40 years ago- people might have agreed with you on the underlying point (Vietnam was a bad idea/Wall Street has abused its position) but they are more disgusted with your antics.

40 years ago, the Hippies propelled Richard Nixon into the White House.

Do you learn from history at all?

Oh I'm sorry, I forgot that protests aren't supposed to inconvenience anyone.

It's quite a different thing when you're fighting against the establishment that's been set up for the longest time, compared to just bitching about the newest guy in the white house. Plus, when was the last time you saw the tea partiers out there for longer than a day or two? That's right, you don't. Let me assure you, if those tea party members were out there for any length of time compared to the occupy wall street individuals with the same circumstances, they'd be stinking up the joint just as much as anybody else. Maybe even moreso? Those are some unhealthy individuals we've seen at the tea party rallies.

The response back of course is always, "well we have jobs, so get a job you hippie." That's okay, they can afford to say that and go back home because they have boat loads of lobbyists doing their work for them. The OWS individuals fighting against the status quo don't have that luxury.

You aren't having any real effect on the Wall Street people.. YOu are annoying working folks on their way to their jobs, working folks doing their jobs (police, park workers) working folks who maybe wanted to go to the park and have a nice time withte family

In short, you are becoming what the hippies were 40 years ago- people might have agreed with you on the underlying point (Vietnam was a bad idea/Wall Street has abused its position) but they are more disgusted with your antics.

And the Gilded age led to the great depression....nope, we don't seem to learn anything from history.

I do tend to think of the OWS people as more like the Bonus Army than the hippees of the 60s though.

Nixon was elected on his promise to end the war. George Wallace helped him get elected. He took votes away from the Democrats in the south and Nixon got ALL of those votes. Nixon's "Southern Strategy" is what won the election for him. They hated the hippies. After all of that the south left the Democratic party and the politicians joined the GOP.
We loved it. Naked women that still loved athletes, had lots of cash and dope!
Money for nothing and chicks for free!

And the Gilded age led to the great depression....nope, we don't seem to learn anything from history.

I do tend to think of the OWS people as more like the Bonus Army than the hippees of the 60s though.

The historical paralells don't really match up.

For one thing, Hoover took action against the "Bonus Army". Or more precisely, Doug MacArthur and George Patton did. It was a simply horrible image against people who still had national sympathy. These, after all, were World War I veterans, many of whom had fought on the front lines.

I don't see Obama taking action against OWS. He seems to be doing everything to encourage them. I also don't see them being terribly sympathetic to a lot of people. "Boo-hoo, we can't get the jobs we were promised by going to college, and now we are stuck with these student loans." Given how many people with families and no jobs there are out there right now, or people like myself who are working harder for less than they were five years ago, not much sympathy for these people at all.

The reason why I draw the paralels to the Hippies is that most of them were protesting a war they didn't want to go to. They were just finding excuses. An insult to the WWII generation that fathered them, worked hard, gave them every privilage, and found themselves a bit annoyed they weren't putting up like men.

Same thing here. We gave you little punks every privilage, and here you are, defecating on our cars and our parks?

Time to pack out the camps, admit the party is over, and try to channel the energy into something useful. But I don't think they are that smart.

Oh I'm sorry, I forgot that protests aren't supposed to inconvenience anyone.

They are not supposed to invoncenience the people who you are trying to win over.

Again, I go back to the Vietnam Hippies as an example. They might have gotten sympathy from Middle America, who wondered what we were fighting for other than a war that was LBJ's Keynsian Jobs Program.

But then they saw these disgusting, long-haired unkempt hippies pissing on the flag and pouring pigis blood on WWII monuments... A war many of them fought in and lost friends during... well, guess what...

"Nixon's the One!"

Our Local OWS on 12 Oct 2011.

DSCF1353.jpg

And a shot taken today. (The Bikes are parked there by a Veterans group attending a Vietnam Veterans memorial Service across the street.)

DSCF1448.jpg

They aren't affecting anything......................

The historical paralells don't really match up.

For one thing, Hoover took action against the "Bonus Army". Or more precisely, Doug MacArthur and George Patton did. It was a simply horrible image against people who still had national sympathy. These, after all, were World War I veterans, many of whom had fought on the front lines.

I don't see Obama taking action against OWS. He seems to be doing everything to encourage them. I also don't see them being terribly sympathetic to a lot of people. "Boo-hoo, we can't get the jobs we were promised by going to college, and now we are stuck with these student loans." Given how many people with families and no jobs there are out there right now, or people like myself who are working harder for less than they were five years ago, not much sympathy for these people at all.

The reason why I draw the paralels to the Hippies is that most of them were protesting a war they didn't want to go to. They were just finding excuses. An insult to the WWII generation that fathered them, worked hard, gave them every privilage, and found themselves a bit annoyed they weren't putting up like men.

Same thing here. We gave you little punks every privilage, and here you are, defecating on our cars and our parks?

Time to pack out the camps, admit the party is over, and try to channel the energy into something useful. But I don't think they are that smart.

The Occutards are Barry's kids.
My father and uncle were in WWII, uncle B-17 flew bomber missions from England over Germany and Dad was a Captain Marines in the Pacific, brother did 3 tours in Nam.
NO ONE ever wants to go to war.
My father, Tinian, Guam, Saipan and Okinawa vet-his troop carrier was hit by kamikazee off loading his troops at Okinawa, was against the Viet Nam war. Many WWII vets opposed that war.
You have the Occutards pegged 100% correct - "I don't think they are that smart".

But you have the Viet Nam protestors confused with those that left for Canada and there were a bunch of them. Those SOBs didn't even have the courage to stand up for what they believed in and protest here.Most of the Nam protestors were either subject to the draft, waiting to go and many were Nam vets themselves.

When you see friends and neighbors that you knew and played ball with for years come home in boxes at age 16, having a brother over there and a mother that almost had a nervous breakdown over it all, it adds another perspective to it.
I took out my anger out between the lines on the field. I saw parents that lost boys in Nam and never were the same. At age 57 I now see why those folks were protesting. We all were in a way as that war was a huge mistake. "Wasted" was he correct term my brother used to describe the KIA there.

Since the OWS movement has started, the conversation has shifted from the debt and deficit to JOBS and income inequality. Even the unctuous little twerp, Eric Cantor and the Budget Munster, Paul Ryan have been discussing income inequality. That can only be seen as a victory for the OWS movement.

Another victory for OWS comes from Bank of America who have decided NOT to charge people a ridiculous fee for using their debit cards.

Keep the pressure on!!!

:clap2:

Don't make me laugh seewich. Is OWS taking credit for BOA not charging $5.00 for debit charges? What's the ultimate purpose of OWS? To shift the conversation from Obama's failed administration. What a bunch of duds.

Since the OWS movement has started, the conversation has shifted from the debt and deficit to JOBS and income inequality. Even the unctuous little twerp, Eric Cantor and the Budget Munster, Paul Ryan have been discussing income inequality. That can only be seen as a victory for the OWS movement.

Another victory for OWS comes from Bank of America who have decided NOT to charge people a ridiculous fee for using their debit cards.

Keep the pressure on!!!

Don't make me laugh seewich. Is OWS taking credit for BOA not charging $5.00 for debit charges? What's the ultimate purpose of OWS? To shift the conversation from Obama's failed administration. What a bunch of duds.
The ultimate purpose of OWS is to shift the conversation back onto the massive transfer of wealth, now estimated at between $13 billion - $14 billion, by the Bush/Obama Administrations from middle class taxpayers to the richest 1%.

OWS is also calling attention to how Wall Street parasites who carried out the fraud and criminal activity are still being rewarded by elected Republicans AND Democrats alike, while their victims are losing their pensions, jobs and homes.

Keep the pressure on!!!

The ultimate purpose of OWS is to shift the conversation back onto the massive transfer of wealth, now estimated at between $13 billion - $14 billion, by the Bush/Obama Administrations from middle class taxpayers to the richest 1%.

OWS is also calling attention to how Wall Street parasites who carried out the fraud and criminal activity are still being rewarded by elected Republicans AND Democrats alike, while their victims are losing their pensions, jobs and homes.

:bsflag:They haven't a clue what they truly want, other than someone else money.

:bsflag:They haven't a clue what they truly want, other than someone else money.
They're not nearly as good at getting someone else's money as Goldman Sachs.

"NEW YORK CITY—Jon Friesen, 27, tall and lanky with a long, dirty-blond ponytail, a purple scarf and an old green fleece, is sitting on concrete at the edge of Zuccotti Park leading a coordination meeting, a gathering that takes place every morning with representatives of each of Occupy Wall Street’s roughly 40 working groups.

“Our conversation is about what it means to be a movement and what it means to be an organization,” he says to the circle. A heated discussion follows, including a debate over whether the movement should make specific demands..."

OWS is also pretty clear on what they don't want.

"'I have no interest in participating in the traditional political process,' (Friesen) says. 'It’s bureaucratic. It’s vertical. It’s exclusive. It’s ruled by money. It’s cumbersome. This is cumbersome too, what we’re doing here, but the principles that I’m pushing and that many people are pushing to uphold here are in direct opposition to the existing structure.

"This is a counterpoint.

"This is an acknowledgement of all those things that we hate, or that I hate, which are closed and exclusive. It is about defying status and power, certification and legitimacy, institutional validation to participate."

A Master Class in Occupation | Common Dreams

Possibly you've said "Yes, Sir (and Ma'am)" too many times during your adult life to understand what freedom truly means.

"NEW YORK CITY—Jon Friesen, 27, tall and lanky with a long, dirty-blond ponytail, a purple scarf and an old green fleece, is sitting on concrete at the edge of Zuccotti Park leading a coordination meeting, a gathering that takes place every morning with representatives of each of Occupy Wall Street’s roughly 40 working groups.

“Our conversation is about what it means to be a movement and what it means to be an organization,” he says to the circle. A heated discussion follows, including a debate over whether the movement should make specific demands..."

"'I have no interest in participating in the traditional political process,' (Friesen) says. 'It’s bureaucratic. It’s vertical. It’s exclusive. It’s ruled by money. It’s cumbersome. This is cumbersome too, what we’re doing here, but the principles that I’m pushing and that many people are pushing to uphold here are in direct opposition to the existing structure.

"This is a counterpoint.

"This is an acknowledgement of all those things that we hate, or that I hate, which are closed and exclusive. It is about defying status and power, certification and legitimacy, institutional validation to participate."

Possibly you've said "Yes, Sir (and Ma'am)" too many times during your adult life to understand what freedom truly means.

Why don't the OWS just pack it up and move to Canada or England ? Everyone seems to say that the kind of system they want would be found there.

There would be no shame in moving. That is the great thing about mobility.

Just ask the libertarians in New Hampshire.

"This is a counterpoint.

Why don't the OWS just pack it up and move to Canada or England ? Everyone seems to say that the kind of system they want would be found there.

Because they're Americans and they want to improve America.

"This is a counterpoint.

Why don't all the "small government" types move to Somalia?

The've got a pretty small "government" there. No income tax, no entitlement programs.

And you can have any weapons you want! Sounds like a Conservative paradise to me....

(note that this post is sarcastic, and only a response to your ridiculous post).

Last edited:

"This is a counterpoint.

Why don't all the "small government" types move to Somalia?

The've got a pretty small "government" there. No income tax, no entitlement programs.

And you can have any weapons you want! Sounds like a Conservative paradise to me....

(note that this post is sarcastic, and only a response to your ridiculous post).

Sorry to have opened up some doors you are not willing to look through ?

I guess that when I read about people who don't want to follow our normal processes, I have to wonder just what it is that they hope to accomplish. And since Britian is a very safe place to live, it seems it might be an option. So, I am not sure what you don't like about my suggestion.

As to Somalia...if I am going to have to battle with guns to establish the rule of law....I'll start here.

Because they're Americans and they want to improve America.

That might be more a matter of opinion.

The want a better "America" based on what they think is better.

So instead of following established processes, they intend to try and get what they want without a democratic vote.

That's a better America ?

No thanks.

Forum List

Back