The party of small government strikes again

The dickless wonder has nothing else to do.

I am just in shock. As he also has to open each and every post that comes up since the system counts them if they are in the post you quoted. So he would have to take all of those out, along with every time it counted the word statistics

OK, back on topic. I posted where participation awards are not a bad thing. You get one for finishing out the season and not quitting.

I explained why when teaching a kid how to play a game, that can be a very good thing.

If anyone wants to actually discuss the subject, that would be great.

Easy and time consuming. You had to open up every single time I used that word and see who I was replying to.

That would take hours.

I am truly embarrassed for you and a little honored at the same time

Ok statist big government loving nanny state supporter. :laughing0301:

Ok statist big government loving nanny state supporter. :laughing0301:

Dude, I mean really I am honored you would spend that much time and effort on me.

Once again, it seems many of you would have no purpose in life if not for my being on this forum.

Dude, I mean really I am honored you would spend that much time and effort on me.

Once again, it seems many of you would have no purpose in life if not for my being on this forum.

No biggie. The only thing I wouldn't try to count is francoHFW's use of the phrase "brainwashed functional moron hater dupe." That probably numbers in the several thousands.

Last edited:
OK, back on topic. I posted where participation awards are not a bad thing. You get one for finishing out the season and not quitting.

I explained why when teaching a kid how to play a game, that can be a very good thing.

When I was in High School you got a Letter (for us it was the letter M) that you put on a letterman's jacket. You got a bigger M if you were on the varsity and a smaller one for the JV.

For each sport your were in you got a symbol to attach to the letter if you completed the whole season.

Is this not just one more version of a participation award?

3 threads from now, you'll get a "the good old days" lament from the same folks who decry that kids spend too much time in front of a screen instead of playing a sport or activity.

As far as the participation trophies go...I'm ambivalent about them. I mean...who cares right? What I'd like to see though is the professional leagues underwrite awards for the organized Little League sports (baseball, basketball, soccer) to where the 10 or 20 person team all get participation awards. But exceptional effort/results are awarded as well. The reason these awards exist is that, in part, the whole thing has become monetized and packaged like a photo session. You get a uniform, photographs, twenty games, and a trophy for $199.99. the same way a photo package is done; you get an 8 X 10, two 5 X 7 and twelve wallet sized for $199.99. In my view, it bastardizes sports a bit. NOTHING IS GIVEN TO YOU on the field of competition. But if you or your parents pay $199.99 you're guaranteed a trophy. There is something wrong about that but that is where we are. Parents aren't going to pay for something when there is no tangible item received. It just isn't going to happen in 2023 America. So have MLB for Baseball fund trophies for the best hitters in the league, best pitchers, etc... They develop some interest in the ranks of the youth, plant some seeds, have true community outreach and, oh yeah, it would just be a nice thing to do.

I agree with you about teaching a kid to play a game is a very good thing. Should you get a trophy for just learning it though? I don't think so but I can't muster enough energy to see this as another battle in the culture war though.

When I was in High School you got a Letter (for us it was the letter M) that you put on a letterman's jacket. You got a bigger M if you were on the vbarsity and a smaller one for the JV.

For each sport your were in you got a symbol to attach to the letter if you completed the whole season.

Is this not just one more version of a participation award?

Same idea IMO. You got something for participating and finishing the season.

All the same the uproar is over people not thinking and just reacting.

North Carolina lawmakers introduce bill to ban participation trophies for kids

North Carolina lawmakers introduced a bill to ban giving children participation trophies for youth sports activities.

The three Republican state representatives — Sens. Tim Moffitt, Eddie Settle, and Bobby Hanig — introduced the bill, called Eliminate Participation Trophies, to the state senate on March 30.

The bill says that any award given to children for youth recreation activities must be based on identified performance achievements.

"Youth sports or other youth recreation activities operated under the authority of a local government shall not include awards for participants based solely on their participation in the sport or other activity," according to the proposed one-page bill.

Now, whether you agree with participation trophies or not, I think we could all agree it is not something the government needs to be sticking its nose in to.
Unfortunately this is typical of the duopoly. It helps divide Americans and continues the charade that the two crime families are different. Sadly, too many Americans fall for it.

Unfortunately this is typical of the duopoly. It helps divide Americans and continues the charade that the two crime families are different. Sadly, too many Americans fall for it.

As is evident by this thread.

It is exactly the same thing. If you were a bench warmer for the football team and only played 10 plays all season you still got the letter and you got the little football to put on it.

That is no different at all than giving kids playing soccer a little ribbon or trophy for playing all season.

3 threads from now, you'll get a "the good old days" lament from the same folks who decry that kids spend too much time in front of a screen instead of playing a sport or activity.

As far as the participation trophies go...I'm ambivalent about them. I mean...who cares right? What I'd like to see though is the professional leagues underwrite awards for the organized Little League sports (baseball, basketball, soccer) to where the 10 or 20 person team all get participation awards. But exceptional effort/results are awarded as well. The reason these awards exist is that, in part, the whole thing has become monetized and packaged like a photo session. You get a uniform, photographs, twenty games, and a trophy for $199.99. the same way a photo package is done; you get an 8 X 10, two 5 X 7 and twelve wallet sized for $199.99. In my view, it bastardizes sports a bit. NOTHING IS GIVEN TO YOU on the field of competition. But if you or your parents pay $199.99 you're guaranteed a trophy. There is something wrong about that but that is where we are. Parents aren't going to pay for something when there is no tangible item received. It just isn't going to happen in 2023 America. So have MLB for Baseball fund trophies for the best hitters in the league, best pitchers, etc... They develop some interest in the ranks of the youth, plant some seeds, have true community outreach and, oh yeah, it would just be a nice thing to do.

I agree with you about teaching a kid to play a game is a very good thing. Should you get a trophy for just learning it though? I don't think so but I can't muster enough energy to see this as another battle in the culture war though.

Team sports can teach a kid many valuable lessons. How to get along with others. How to win and lose gracefully, etc. So yes it's good for a kid to have an incentive to finish. Which would be another good lesson.

This kind of stuff should be as localized as possible. The cities and counties running the programs should decide, not the state. In any, and every, case, culture warriors should piss off and stop trying to force their values on others.
Perhaps, I was just addressing the assertion that because a state makes a law, that doesn’t mean someone is for big government, because in this case, the cotus is working as intended.

You just excluded blacks and other minorities. How are their parents going to come up with $199.99?

This law would outlaw the practice of letters for those in High School sports. That is not going to go over well with their constituents.

• If passed, the bill could only allow awards based on identified performance achievements.

Forum List

Back