The Perfection of Propaganda

Votto

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2012
Does anyone remember the protests of the 1960's?

$thZT5N3B54.jpg

The youth of America was up in arms over wars abroad.

However, what of today? Where are the protests? Could it be that the establishment has learned to perfect the art of propaganda? Young people around the country lined up to vote the Nobel Peace Prize winning President Obama that has helped bring peace to Iraq, Afghanistan, and Libya. And guess what, they would vote for him again if the could.

Does anyone remember the protests of the 1960's?

View attachment 29219

The youth of America was up in arms over wars abroad.

However, what of today? Where are the protests? Could it be that the establishment has learned to perfect the art of propaganda? Young people around the country lined up to vote the Nobel Peace Prize winning President Obama that has helped bring peace to Iraq, Afghanistan, and Libya. And guess what, they would vote for him again if the could.

I don't think so...it's more the perfection of lowered standards and increased apathy.

Do we really need a thread about the difference between the 60's and today?

Do we need a troll who dictates to others what kind of OP's there should be?

I am sorry I thought when someone posted something ridiculous like the OP did it was assumed to be someone trolling with stupid. Did I make fun of a serious thread?

:eek:

Is that for you to determine?

It's a valid question. Do you see past the propaganda, or do you willingly accept it? Without a second thought? Has the Left perfected the art of propaganda? What in that question led you to believe he wasn't being serious?

Liberals were protesting Vietnam in the 60's. They were spitting on our soldiers as they came home. They also protested the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. But as soon as Obama took the helm, all of those anti war protests stopped. Why is that? Perhaps the propaganda was so effective that it led these liberals to believe that the prospect of attacking Syria, killing Anwar al-Awlaki and conducting hundreds of drone strikes which killed innocent children were the right things to do.

Last edited:

I am sorry I thought when someone posted something ridiculous like the OP did it was assumed to be someone trolling with stupid. Did I make fun of a serious thread?

It's a valid question. Do you see past the propaganda, or do you willingly accept it? Without a second thought? Has the Left perfected the art of propaganda? What in that question led you to believe he wasn't being serious?

Liberals were protesting Vietnam in the 60's. They were spitting on out soldiers as they came home. They also protested the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. But as soon as Obama takes the helm, all of those anti war protests stop. Why is that? Perhaps the propaganda was so effective that it led these liberals to believe that attacking Syria, killing Anwar al-Awlaki and conducting hundreds of drone strikes were the right things to do.

:cuckoo:

Liberals were protesting Vietnam in the 60's. They were spitting on out soldiers as they came home. They also protested the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. But as soon as Obama takes the helm, all of those anti war protests stop. Why is that? Perhaps the propaganda was so effective that it led these liberals to believe that attacking Syria, killing Anwar al-Awlaki and conducting hundreds of drone strikes were the right things to do.

:cuckoo:

Really, is that all you have to say?

Do we really need a thread about the difference between the 60's and today?

Is it stupid to look at history and understand it?

Looking back, you had the draft and many more body bags. Is it fair to say that so long as there is no draft, and no large number of body bags that society will accept any given war?

Then again, what of the media? In the 1960's, you had the media speaking out against the wars. Today? Where are those voices?

From my vantage point, it is a combination of the two. The establishment has learned to wage global war in PC fashion so as to continue to gain support and thwart protests.

Last edited:
Reinstate the draft, that will get them riled up. BTW that was the main thrust of the 1960s war protests. Not so much specifically fighting abroad but conscripting young men to do it against their will.

Looking back, you had the draft and many more body bags. Is it fair to say that so long as there is no draft, and no large number of body bags that society will accept any given war?

Then again, what of the media? In the 1960's, you had the media speaking out against the wars. Today? Where are those voices?

From my vantage point, it is a combination of the two. The establishment has learned to wage global war in PC fashion so as to continue to gain support and thwart protests.

No it is stupid to ignore history and come to a ridiculous conclusion that is clearly meant to be controversial and get people annoyed.

1960s : The War, The Draft, Civil Rights

2014: Heathcare, Benghazi, End of the War in Afghanistan

I see the connection

Reinstate the draft, that will get them riled up. BTW that was the main thrust of the 1960s war protests. Not so much specifically fighting abroad but conscripting young men to do it against their will.

No, it wouldn't. They would lockstep right behind him for a third, fourth term if possible.

Interesting, you discount the participation of the media entirely.

But then, how do we learn about the wars abroad? Is it not the media?

I remember how the media was handling the Syria situation. All media outlets were carrying the hysteria of mass casualties regarding use of WMD's. This was 24/7 coverage, but inexplicably, the American people were no longer buying into it as poll numbers indicated. Obama then backed down and shown to be the fool regarding his fabled crossing of the "Red line" statement.

Don't get me wrong, the establishment has not given up on Syria, no, far from it. They are simply waiting to figure out a better method to secure support from the war weary citizens of the US before proceeding.

I think the establishment learned a great deal from Vietnam. In fact, Hitler learned a great deal from the uprisings in Germany during WW1. Hitler insisted that all money be spent either to aid the war effort or the nanny state at home. The thinking was that so long as the average German had a standard of living that was enjoyable, there would be no uprisings at home. The war weary populace would endure both a world war and genocide. In short, they were all bought off.

Do we not see elements of this in today's society?

Last edited:

No it is stupid to ignore history and come to a ridiculous conclusion that is clearly meant to be controversial and get people annoyed.

Do you question the notion that the powers that be engage in methods of propaganda?

1960s : The War, The Draft, Civil Rights

2014: Heathcare, Benghazi, End of the War in Afghanistan

I see the connection

Funny you should mention the Civil Rights movement. Today the unemployment rate for Blacks is around 13% while the national average is 7%.

Where is the outrage? Blacks even voted for Obama twice with about 98% of Blacks voting for Obama.

It seems that being the most powerful man in the world is not as cracked up as it seems I suppose.

I think it a fair assessment by the establishment that they can completely ignore the plight of blacks since Obama is himself black.

Last edited:

I remember how the media was handling the Syria situation. All media outlets were carrying the hysteria of mass casualties regarding use of WMD's. This was 24/7 coverage, but inexplicably, the American people were no longer buying into it as poll numbers indicated. Obama then backed down and shown to be the fool regarding his fabled crossing of the "Red line" statement.

Don't get me wrong, the establishment has not given up on Syria, no, far from it. They are simply waiting to figure out a better method to secure support from the war weary citizens of the US before proceeding.

I think the establishment learned a great deal from Vietnam. In fact, Hitler learned a great deal from the uprisings in Germany during WW1. Hitler insisted that all money be spent either to aid the war effort or the nanny state at home. The thinking was that so long as the average German had a standard of living that was enjoyable, there would be no uprisings at home. The war weary populace would endure both a world war and genocide. In short, they were all bought off.

During Vietnam, the media, especially TV, was so complicit that it would be astounding in this day and age. That really didn't end until relatively late.

It's only annoying when it's true.

George Orwell would agree.

During Vietnam, the media, especially TV, was so complicit that it would be astounding in this day and age. That really didn't end until relatively late.

It is clear to me that those in the media are no longer free to do and say what they like.

This was especially made clear as Obama was allowed to infiltrate their communication through the NSA monitoring their phone calls and internet use.

Nothing was done about it. I could only imagine how I would feel if I had mouths to feed.

Forum List

Back