The Pope calls for end of death penalty

... Catholics are not required to be either pro or con the death penalty. ....

What's wrong. Death penalty is not compatible with the catholic faith. The only reason for death penalty in former times was it to eliminate extremly dangerous human beings - so everyone was able to live in peace. But today prisons are save, so there's no need any longer for death penalty.

You misquoted that...Meriweather said that.

You don't understand: Jesus was a victim of death penatly. That's an essential reason why never a Christian is able to be a friend of death penalty.

While He was a victim, I think Jesus was for the death penalty in some instances. In the story of a woman accused of adultery, He recognized what the Pharisees were trying to do and He showed mercy, but did not pardon the woman. He asked for eyewitnesses.

Observe carefully that with the withdrawal of the accusers, Jesus put forth a technical legal question: “Woman, where are they? Did no man condemn thee?” (ASV), or “Woman, where are those thine accusers? Hath no man condemned thee?” (vs. 10, KJV). The reason for Jesus to verify the absence of the accusers who had brought the charges against the woman was that the Law of Moses mandated the presence of eyewitnesses to the crime before guilt could be established and sentence passed. The woman confirmed, “No man, Lord” (vs. 11). Jesus then affirmed: “Neither do I condemn you….”

The Adulterous Woman

Furthermore, I do not think the "wages of sin" was literal death but spiritual death or else it would be a sad world indeed. However, it sounds like God was for capital punishment for EVIL doers since He had Jesus die for us.

“Whoever sheds man's blood, by man his blood shall be shed, for in the image of God He made man” (Genesis 9:6).

Last edited:

What's wrong. Death penalty is not compatible with the catholic faith. The only reason for death penalty in former times was it to eliminate extremly dangerous human beings - so everyone was able to live in peace. But today prisons are save, so there's no need any longer for death penalty.

You don't understand: Jesus was a victim of death penatly. That's an essential reason why never a Christian is able to be a friend of death penalty.

While He was a victim, I think Jesus was for the death penalty in some instances.

Sure - everyone is able to imagine easily how Jesus took a sword and decapitated criminals in masses - the only problem: he did not do so and nothing what he said has anything to do with this what you think here.

In the story of a woman accused of adultery, He recognized what the Pharisees were trying to do and He showed mercy, but did not pardon the woman. He asked for eyewitnesses.

Don't try to tell me bullshit in context with the bible. I hate it very much if people are misusing the bible for their lies.

Observe carefully that with the withdrawal of the accusers, Jesus put forth a technical legal question: “Woman, where are they? Did no man condemn thee?” (ASV), or “Woman, where are those thine accusers? Hath no man condemned thee?” (vs. 10, KJV). The reason for Jesus to verify the absence of the accusers who had brought the charges against the woman was that the Law of Moses mandated the presence of eyewitnesses to the crime before guilt could be established and sentence passed. The woman confirmed, “No man, Lord” (vs. 11). Jesus then affirmed: “Neither do I condemn you….”

The Adulterous Woman

Furthermore, I do not think the "wages of sin" was literal death but spiritual death or else it would be a sad world indeed. However, it sounds like God was for capital punishment for EVIL doers since He had Jesus die for us.

“Whoever sheds man's blood, by man his blood shall be shed, for in the image of God He made man” (Genesis 9:6).

I don't know what you don't [like to] understand if you read textes of the bible - and to be honest: I'm not even interested to find this out. If you have a problem to understand what's written in the bible in context with your own life, then ask a priest of a serios christian church: for example a lutheran, catholic or orthodox priest. I'm personally 100% convinced Pope Francesco is completly right to fight against death penalty and I think every Catholic should follow him in this fight against death penalty.

As a German I'm able to say: death penalty is absolutelly superflous. Since decades we don't use death penalty any longer and this has not any negative consequence in and for our country.

Last edited:

While He was a victim, I think Jesus was for the death penalty in some instances.

Sure - everyone is able to imagine easily how Jesus took a sword and decapitated criminals in masses - the only problem: he did not do so and nothing what he said has anything to do with this what you think here.

In the story of a woman accused of adultery, He recognized what the Pharisees were trying to do and He showed mercy, but did not pardon the woman. He asked for eyewitnesses.

Don't try to tell me bullshit in context with the bible. I hate it very much if people are misusing the bible for their lies.

The Adulterous Woman

I don't know what you don't [like to] understand if you read textes of the bible - and to be honest: I'm not even interested to find this out. If you have a problem to understand what's written in the bible in context with your own life, then ask a priest of a serios christian church: for example a lutheran, catholic or orthodox priest. I'm personally 100% convinced Pope Francesco is completly right to fight against death penalty and I think every Catholic should follow him in this fight against death penalty.

As a German I'm able to say: death penalty is absolutelly superflous. Since decades we don't use death penalty any longer and this has not any negative consequence in and for our country.

No BS, and the Bible experts back it up. Just to show that you do not understand Jesus, He would not be the executioner while He was on Earth. He dealt with the strategic thinking. Not only that, if He wanted to execute someone, He would not need a sword. He was duality. I would agree that it is absolutely superfluous once you execute somebody. They won't be able to kill again. The two eyewitness rules sounds good. It's too bad that we do not follow the Law of Moses in that regard.

The Adulterous Woman

No BS, and the Bible experts back it up. Just to show that you do not understand Jesus,

He and I have the same grandpa - David - and the same origin: god. And together with Pope Francesco and others I would say we are all together members of the "club of life". From my point of view you are a member of the culture of death, nevertheless I'm sure my very best friend Jesus understands you better than I - but I would suggest: Think about what you like to tell Jesus in the end of time and don't try to tell him the same bullshit you like to tell me.

He would not be the executioner while He was on Earth. He dealt with the strategic thinking. Not only that, if He wanted to execute someone, He would not need a sword. He was duality. I would agree that it is absolutely superfluous once you execute somebody. They won't be able to kill again. The two eyewitness rules sounds good. It's too bad that we do not follow the Law of Moses in that regard.

Take a time travel machine and speak with Moses about his laws - and if you will come back then I'm sure you will not any longer be proud on no reason to be proud. Your argument "They won't be able to kill again" is by the way extremly stupid, because we are only able to learn from living human beings and not from dead human beings. And if we learn how it happened why some human beings became murderers in special situations then we are able to change something in the living conditions of all people what will help them all. Death is never a solution - for nothing. No one knows what's tomorrow the most important question and who is able to give the answer. Who kills a life reduces universes of possibilities.

Last edited:

The Adulterous Woman

No BS, and the Bible experts back it up. Just to show that you do not understand Jesus,

He and I have the same grandpa - David - and the same origin: god. And together with Pope Francesco and others I would say we are all together members of the "club of life". From my point of view you are a member of the culture of death, nevertheless I'm sure my very best friend Jesus understands you better than I - but I would suggest: Think about what you like to tell Jesus in the end of time and don't try to tell him the same bullshit you like to tell me.

He would not be the executioner while He was on Earth. He dealt with the strategic thinking. Not only that, if He wanted to execute someone, He would not need a sword. He was duality. I would agree that it is absolutely superfluous once you execute somebody. They won't be able to kill again. The two eyewitness rules sounds good. It's too bad that we do not follow the Law of Moses in that regard.

Take a time travel machine and speak with Moses about his laws - and if you will come back then I'm sure you will not any longer be proud on no reason to be proud. Your argument "They won't be able to kill again" is by the way extremly stupid, because we are only able to learn from living human beings and not from dead human beings. And if we learn how it happened why some human beings became murderers in special situations then we are able to change something in the living conditions of all people what will help them all. Death is never a solution - for nothing. No one knows what's tomorrow the most important question and who is able to give the answer. Who kills a life reduces universes of possibilities.

Can you tell me how one goes back in time? I can demonstrate how one can go forward in time. It's not law, but scientific theory. Maybe you should take the trip and then come back and tell us.

You are entitled to your opinions and those you mention including Pope Francis, but this is Jesus' take on the matter. Jesus is our Lord and Savior and He wasn't a vengeful person, but a role model. He taught at times capital punishment fit the crime. He wasn't a vigilante as you want him to be by taking up the sword. Perhaps it's just common sense as sometimes an eye for an eye is needed, not just for the victim and families, but for those who follow the law. So many times, the law is made and the evil do not obey and the good have to suffer the consequences of the law.

It isn't the way you divide it between humans for life vs those for death. (Is that abortion?) It's between justice and the one-sidedness. And they won't be able to kill again makes perfect sense. The families and friends of the victim can try to continue to forgive and forget as they will not be subject to myriad of parole hearings in the future. Capital punishment may not influence evil, but it does help the good from going astray from hate and anger.

Can you tell me how one goes back in time? I can demonstrate how one can go forward in time. It's not law, but scientific theory. Maybe you should take the trip and then come back and tell us.

If you really like to understand Moses then I'm sure you will find a way to understand Moses.

You are entitled to your opinions and those you mention including Pope Francis, but this is Jesus' take on the matter. Jesus is our Lord and Savior and He wasn't a vengeful person, but a role model. He taught at times capital punishment fit the crime. He wasn't a vigilante as you want him to be by taking up the sword. Perhaps it's just common sense as sometimes an eye for an eye is needed, not just for the victim and families, but for those who follow the law. So many times, the law is made and the evil do not obey and the good have to suffer the consequences of the law.

It isn't the way you divide it between humans for life vs those for death. (Is that abortion?) It's between justice and the one-sidedness. And they won't be able to kill again makes perfect sense. The families and friends of the victim can try to continue to forgive and forget as they will not be subject to myriad of parole hearings in the future. Capital punishment may not influence evil, but it does help the good from going astray from hate and anger.

Death penalty helps no one anything. Specially death penalty makes no one alive.

Forum List

Back