The Proposal to Split California

Yup. Requires two-thirds majority vote in both the Senate and the House.

What requires a 2/3 vote?

Approval of statehood.

Not according to the Constitution.

9 of 13 were originally required. Not sure when things were adjusted to 2/3.

If I am mistaken please post the Article. No one can know everything. :laugh:

Art. 4 Sec. 3 Clause 1:

New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union; but no new States shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress.

"... without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress."

Yes, and I believe 2/3 of Congress is required for admittance.

East and West California don't like each other so there is an attempt to get the split on the ballot for 2018 so I thought getting the opinions of people in CA would be useful.
Why do you think we don't like each other?

Sounds like more fake news to me.

We may not agree with each other but nothing wrong with that.

The historic divide in California has always been North and South- but there is no real push to split up the state- no more than there is any real push for Texas to secede.
You're a Liberal and are thrilled that you have a significant number of Electoral Votes.

Too funny. Conservatives in California aren't happy that California will have Secession on the 2018 ballot so they've huredly come up with this nonsense which has no chance at all.

I say to all the cons in California you should take your own advice when you tell people "America, love it or leave it". 'California, love it or leave it. Its high time the cons here who daily bash the state to leave. Go to Taxus and work for $7 an hour. Can't make it here in business? Yeah its tough, you have to bring your A game here. Taxus and other red states will gladly accept the also rans, the people who couldn't compete in a free market in California.

Its time to just break up America and you cons go have your own dog eat dog utopia with your police state, no minimum wage, and outlawed unions. Go be happy. The progress of the human race is poison to you so go find a land you can be happy in, the old Confederate States, and build a 30 foot wall around it and we won't have to see or hear from you again. And you'll be happy to be away from all the rest of us.

Bye now.

Better to wall you people off in the middle of the Marianas Trench.

:lmao:

What requires a 2/3 vote?

Approval of statehood.

Art. 4 Sec. 3 Clause 1:

New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union; but no new States shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress.

"... without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress."

Then it would be listed in that clause, would it not?

Too funny. Conservatives in California aren't happy that California will have Secession on the 2018 ballot so they've huredly come up with this nonsense which has no chance at all.

I say to all the cons in California you should take your own advice when you tell people "America, love it or leave it". 'California, love it or leave it. Its high time the cons here who daily bash the state to leave. Go to Taxus and work for $7 an hour. Can't make it here in business? Yeah its tough, you have to bring your A game here. Taxus and other red states will gladly accept the also rans, the people who couldn't compete in a free market in California.

Its time to just break up America and you cons go have your own dog eat dog utopia with your police state, no minimum wage, and outlawed unions. Go be happy. The progress of the human race is poison to you so go find a land you can be happy in, the old Confederate States, and build a 30 foot wall around it and we won't have to see or hear from you again. And you'll be happy to be away from all the rest of us.

Bye now.

Don't say it do it. Conservatives are good at threatening people but you snowflakes roll over and crap your pants at the drop of a hat. You poor snowflakes are scared of life itself.

Approval of statehood.

Art. 4 Sec. 3 Clause 1:

You're determined to make me browse.

Bye now.

Don't say it do it. Conservatives are good at threatening people but you snowflakes roll over and crap your pants at the drop of a hat. You poor snowflakes are scared of life itself.

You've been watching the wrong cartoons.

Art. 4 Sec. 3 Clause 1:

You're determined to make me browse.

I already did. Why don't you believe me? I used to teach this stuff!

In all cases but Texas and its annexation treaty a state split is in the same league as a constitutional amendment.

East and West California don't like each other so there is an attempt to get the split on the ballot for 2018 so I thought getting the opinions of people in CA would be useful.
Why do you think we don't like each other?

Sounds like more fake news to me.

We may not agree with each other but nothing wrong with that.

The historic divide in California has always been North and South- but there is no real push to split up the state- no more than there is any real push for Texas to secede.
You're a Liberal and are thrilled that you have a significant number of Electoral Votes.
I am a Liberal, and yes, I am glad that California has the Electoral votes we have.

Just as I am sure that the Conservatives of Texas are glad to have the Electoral votes they have.

And none of that is relevant to the zero percent chance of California splitting up.

if California splits, Democrats won't win the presidency for a long time.

i'm all for it as long as they don't name one area the State of Reagan

Give the whole state to Mexico. Well, we'd like some pesos for it at least.

TOT, if you really want to know (if you don't already) why some Californians want to break away, do what I did and ask someone who is intelligent and lives there. It seems the reason they have pushed further than any other state is---------->how elections are run, which according to them is voter suppression and disenfranchisement. Theoretically, it should be easier to handle it in the state legislature then demanding a split, but the liberals refuse to address it and they control most of California making it a one party state for all intensive purposes.

HOW IT WORKS----------> In CA, when running for office in the primaries, it is NOT the top vote getting Repub against the top vote getting Dem, rather; it is the two top vote getters in the primary running against each other regardless of party. So, in essence, in large population centers, all you have for virtually every office is Democrat, against Democrat in almost every race. (in fairness, in Repub districts it is Repub against Repub)

And so, what happens is---------->in those places where one party is extremely dominant, there is nobody for the citizens to vote for that professes their ideology. (not 100% positive, but I also believe it keeps other smaller party's from getting on the ballot too; which makes sense) With nobody to vote for in not only local races, but senator, that party's constituency stays home.

Consider-------> Put yourself in San Francisco in a heavily liberal district and it is election time....... your choices are...........2 Democrats for Mayor, 2 Democrats for your congressional rep, 2 Democrats for state senator, and 2 Democrats for virtually every position in your city. Why would you vote if you are a Repub! Your choices are 100% of the time in your eyes, bad.....or....worse. In essence, which party holds power in CA is determined on primary day, not election day. Only the name of the person representing that party is determined in the general election.

Know those 3 or 4 million votes the left is always talking about? Well, when you have 2 camps of Democrats coming out for their candidates in local or statewide races, and nobody for Republicans to vote for, you now can understand it. Remember, nobody to vote for, and they know there is no way the Repub is going to win the state, so why go to the polls!

I personally have no idea why California can do this with what appears to be every election in their jurisdiction but the Presidency, but they can. Also, for those who think it is a great idea to just remove monikers (R or D) from the names of people and vote on ideas, this shows it is dangerous. We would like to all believe that our reps and senators are independent, and will do most of the time what is best for the areas they represent, but nothing could be further from the truth. What we really see 95% of the time because of funding pressures, they vote on party lines. And how many politicians once elected have kept their word on the platform they claimed to run on? You have a few, regardless if you like them or not--------> Rand Paul, Bernie Sanders, Mike Lee, and possibly a handful more, but certainly not enough.

In closing, let me say that as far as congressional districts, New York, Illinois, and California are NOT as Democratic leaning as you might think. This is exactly why at times, New York gets a republican governor, and so does Illinois. The choices offered them in local races drives the voters to the polls, and you get surprises from these states in who gets elected. Not so in California because they have it rigged, but it is their choice as a state. Now you have the reason they want a split, and why the noise is much louder from that state than any other.

Brilliant, Cons would like to lose the CA economy, which is the 6th largest economy in the world.

Mexico would be happy
icon_mrorange.gif

Forum List

Back