🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

The Question Conservatives Can't Answer

"A state-owned bank on the BND model would not compete with community banks. Rather, it would partner with them and support them in making loans.

"The BND serves the role of a mini-Fed for the state. It provides correspondent banking services to virtually every financial institution in North Dakota and offers a Federal Funds program with daily volume of $330 million.

"It also provides check clearing, cash management services, and automated clearing house services.

"It leverages state funds into credit for local purposes, funds that would otherwise leave the state and be leveraged for investing abroad, drawing away jobs that could go to locals."

Any problem with state funds working for the benefit of state residents instead of Wall Street?

State-Owned Banks: A Win-Win for State Budgets and Local Economies by Ellen Brown

"It leverages state funds into credit for local purposes"

Maybe you can explain what Ellen means here?
Why don't you ask Ellen?

WEB OF DEBT BLOG

Maybe you will comprehend her answer?

Ellen is a moron.
She thinks states can "leverage" deposits and borrow all the money a state needs for the budget. She thinks if all states had a bank like the State Bank of North Dakota, they could easily increase their budgets.
She thinks the printing press is better than taxing.
I hope she was a better lawyer than that, although the fact that she now sells books like Web of Debt leads me to believe she was an awful lawyer as well.

"The following fact was sent to numerous conservative pundits, politicians, and profit-seekers:

"Based on Tax Foundation figures, the richest 1% has TRIPLED its share of America's income over the past 30 years. Much of the gain came from tax cuts and minimally taxed financial instruments.

"If their income had increased only at the pace of American productivity (80%), they would be taking about a TRILLION DOLLARS LESS out of our economy.

"And a question was posed:

"In what way do the richest 1% deserve these extraordinary gains?

"This question was not posed in sarcasm.

"A factual answer is genuinely sought.

"It seems unlikely that 1% of the population worked three times harder than the rest of us, or contributed three times as much to American productivity.

"Money earned from tax cuts and minimally taxed financial instruments is not productive income."

Any takers, Cons?

The Question Conservatives Can't Answer | Common Dreams

This thread has most likely moved on from the OP now but I had to take a stab at it...

Your question is asking a generality but you said you wanted factual answers. Its like asking for a mathematical answer to why my kids leave their clothes in the bathroom floor..

You are forgetting one very important thing that your linked article and you overlooked. The 1% already were the richest 1% to begin with... Who do you think makes large corporations and companies which produce the products people buy and jobs they work? That 1%...

I find this kind of thing to be a hilarious bit of mathematical hucksterism. The richest 1% became richer... uh-huh... and thats a surprise how?

This world pretty much all of it anyway, runs on virtually the same kind of monetary/financial/banking structure. Even the world bank uses the same system we do (albeit on a broader scale). Now if you have people who manage to use this system to turn their billion dollars into 100 billion dollars, than why not ask the more pertinent questions about the system they used to do so?

Or even better if joe moneybags has 500 million and he uses half of it to start a new google and it becomes success. he has now become more wealthy. he had 500 mill and invested 250 mill, and say the company made his investment double he is now worth 750 mill. he takes that 750 mill and gets some good investments and bingo! hes now worth a billion. When he was worth 500 mill say he was taxed at standard rate. And then at 750 mill the same, and again at a billion standard rate. Now please explain to me at what point he deserved to be taxed at a higher rate? At what point did he go from being a guy with some money to invest and got lucky, to being a guy who was deserving a higher tax rate.. he made a company that made jobs for people to do, through the company paid taxes on all of his business dealings, paid licensing fees, paid for all the the usual things a large company would have to. Yet for all that you expect him to pay a higher rate than everyone else in addition to the taxes his company already pays...

When someone tells me the richest 1% made even more the last some odd number of years, its not a surprise nor is it relevant to a failing middle class or the plight of the lower classes. Its not like they are going to keep 500 billion in a mattress. Its gets invested, it gets put into the economy, or even used to create a business that will employ people. People that may be middle or lower class.

The actual separation of upper class vs the other classes is not just a left or right caused problem. Its a monetary/financial caused problem that is perpetuated on both extremes by those right and left political parties. Its an old problem, as old society. TO simply pretend a political party made it so is nonsense. There are rich and poor in every country and every age of advanced human. We used to have royalty and now we have banks that allow for the new royalty made from cash.

The system is designed to work for the wealthiest 1% the best. Who do you think made the investments to the banks in the first place? The more money you have to invest and risk the more you have to gain or lose.
The question, "(i)n what way do the richest 1% deserve these extraordinary gains"...seems pretty specific to me. Have they worked three times harder than the other 99% of Americans over the last four decades? Have they contributed three times as much to US productivity as other Americans?

Or have most of their gains come from tax shifts and minimally taxed financial instruments that contribute nothing to US productivity?

The richest 1% in the US were already the richest 1% because of a specific economic system that very deliberately rewards capital over labor in spite of the fact the former doesn't even exist without the latter.

Contrast that with Germany where the richest 1% of Germans control the same 11% of total annual income today that they controlled in 1980. While in this country, the richest 1% controlled 8% of total US income in 1980, and they control over 20% today.

The system is still designed to work for the richest 1%; however, the richest 1% no longer invest in productive enterprises. They invest in hedge funds which use the money to speculate on the cost of food and fuel. They "invest" in High Frequency Computer Trading where the underlying assets are held for fractions of a second.

And, most importantly, they don't lose anymore when their "investments" don't pan out.
They turn to taxpayers to bail them out.

The question " "In what way do the richest 1% deserve these extraordinary gains?"
Runs on the pretense that someone "gave them" that profit. The fact is the profit or increase they made, however that was. The government bailed out some institutions, Banks, automakers, etc.. Those are corporations and not the citizenry. Now you can argue some of the CEO's used that to their benefit which would allow for an increase for some of that 1%, but we certainly cannot say ALL of them nor even most.

A little perspective...

Say joe top 1% got taxed 40% of his taxable income. And then Mr. Conservative came in and gave him a tax break of 5 or lets go high and say 10%. So he would then pay 30%.

So, he pays 30% of his TAXABLE INCOME. I caps that cause its important. moving on say he made 5 billion last year, living costs and expenses would be deducted along with any charitable donations (people with that kind of money do this if only to prevent a higher tax for not doing it) would normally be deducted now but lets just say it already was to keep it simple.

So 5 billion minus the gov's 30% = 1.5 billion. Now 30% is actually low rate for that kind of income and when you take into consideration the ways he made the money was taxed on their own before hand, you may get to see the bigger picture a little.

A lot of people view its as "well he still has 3.5 billion after taxes" or "thats still more than anyone needs" but taking nearly a third or more of a persons income just to pay for government and programs is robbery in any aspect, and as far as it being more than he needs its not for you or I to decide that. How would you like to have your neighbors decide your house has too many bedrooms, or your yard is too big?

They paid 90% on every dollar over the first $100,000 half-a-century ago.
They pay 15% on every dollar today

No one should ever pay more then 10% of a dollar they earned to a government that didn't, so we're almost there.
Care to explain how you arrived at 10%?

Are you saying 90% of government is superfluous?

What is government's part in creating money?
10%?
90%

How long would you survive without 90% of government?

"It leverages state funds into credit for local purposes"

Maybe you can explain what Ellen means here?
Why don't you ask Ellen?

WEB OF DEBT BLOG

Ellen is a moron.
She thinks states can "leverage" deposits and borrow all the money a state needs for the budget. She thinks if all states had a bank like the State Bank of North Dakota, they could easily increase their budgets.
I hope she was a better lawyer than that, although the fact that she now sells books like Web of Debt leads me to believe she was an awful lawyer as well.
Since you're afraid to ask Ellen, let's as The Swami why:

North Dakota has the nation's lowest unemployment and foreclosure rate.
The largest budget surplus; and
The only state-owned bank!

Swami Beyondananda: “How California Can Solve Its Budget Crisis” [video] « WEB OF DEBT BLOG

Why are capitalists afraid of real competition?

They paid 90% on every dollar over the first $100,000 half-a-century ago.
They pay 15% on every dollar today

No one should ever pay more then 10% of a dollar they earned to a government that didn't, so we're almost there.

10%?
90%

Keeping 90% of your own money is not the same as eliminating 90% of the government.

This thread has most likely moved on from the OP now but I had to take a stab at it...

Your question is asking a generality but you said you wanted factual answers. Its like asking for a mathematical answer to why my kids leave their clothes in the bathroom floor..

You are forgetting one very important thing that your linked article and you overlooked. The 1% already were the richest 1% to begin with... Who do you think makes large corporations and companies which produce the products people buy and jobs they work? That 1%...

I find this kind of thing to be a hilarious bit of mathematical hucksterism. The richest 1% became richer... uh-huh... and thats a surprise how?

This world pretty much all of it anyway, runs on virtually the same kind of monetary/financial/banking structure. Even the world bank uses the same system we do (albeit on a broader scale). Now if you have people who manage to use this system to turn their billion dollars into 100 billion dollars, than why not ask the more pertinent questions about the system they used to do so?

Or even better if joe moneybags has 500 million and he uses half of it to start a new google and it becomes success. he has now become more wealthy. he had 500 mill and invested 250 mill, and say the company made his investment double he is now worth 750 mill. he takes that 750 mill and gets some good investments and bingo! hes now worth a billion. When he was worth 500 mill say he was taxed at standard rate. And then at 750 mill the same, and again at a billion standard rate. Now please explain to me at what point he deserved to be taxed at a higher rate? At what point did he go from being a guy with some money to invest and got lucky, to being a guy who was deserving a higher tax rate.. he made a company that made jobs for people to do, through the company paid taxes on all of his business dealings, paid licensing fees, paid for all the the usual things a large company would have to. Yet for all that you expect him to pay a higher rate than everyone else in addition to the taxes his company already pays...

When someone tells me the richest 1% made even more the last some odd number of years, its not a surprise nor is it relevant to a failing middle class or the plight of the lower classes. Its not like they are going to keep 500 billion in a mattress. Its gets invested, it gets put into the economy, or even used to create a business that will employ people. People that may be middle or lower class.

The actual separation of upper class vs the other classes is not just a left or right caused problem. Its a monetary/financial caused problem that is perpetuated on both extremes by those right and left political parties. Its an old problem, as old society. TO simply pretend a political party made it so is nonsense. There are rich and poor in every country and every age of advanced human. We used to have royalty and now we have banks that allow for the new royalty made from cash.

The system is designed to work for the wealthiest 1% the best. Who do you think made the investments to the banks in the first place? The more money you have to invest and risk the more you have to gain or lose.
The question, "(i)n what way do the richest 1% deserve these extraordinary gains"...seems pretty specific to me. Have they worked three times harder than the other 99% of Americans over the last four decades? Have they contributed three times as much to US productivity as other Americans?

Or have most of their gains come from tax shifts and minimally taxed financial instruments that contribute nothing to US productivity?

The richest 1% in the US were already the richest 1% because of a specific economic system that very deliberately rewards capital over labor in spite of the fact the former doesn't even exist without the latter.

Contrast that with Germany where the richest 1% of Germans control the same 11% of total annual income today that they controlled in 1980. While in this country, the richest 1% controlled 8% of total US income in 1980, and they control over 20% today.

The system is still designed to work for the richest 1%; however, the richest 1% no longer invest in productive enterprises. They invest in hedge funds which use the money to speculate on the cost of food and fuel. They "invest" in High Frequency Computer Trading where the underlying assets are held for fractions of a second.

And, most importantly, they don't lose anymore when their "investments" don't pan out.

The question " "In what way do the richest 1% deserve these extraordinary gains?"
Runs on the pretense that someone "gave them" that profit. The fact is the profit or increase they made, however that was. The government bailed out some institutions, Banks, automakers, etc.. Those are corporations and not the citizenry. Now you can argue some of the CEO's used that to their benefit which would allow for an increase for some of that 1%, but we certainly cannot say ALL of them nor even most.

A little perspective...

Say joe top 1% got taxed 40% of his taxable income. And then Mr. Conservative came in and gave him a tax break of 5 or lets go high and say 10%. So he would then pay 30%.

So, he pays 30% of his TAXABLE INCOME. I caps that cause its important. moving on say he made 5 billion last year, living costs and expenses would be deducted along with any charitable donations (people with that kind of money do this if only to prevent a higher tax for not doing it) would normally be deducted now but lets just say it already was to keep it simple.

So 5 billion minus the gov's 30% = 1.5 billion. Now 30% is actually low rate for that kind of income and when you take into consideration the ways he made the money was taxed on their own before hand, you may get to see the bigger picture a little.

A lot of people view its as "well he still has 3.5 billion after taxes" or "thats still more than anyone needs" but taking nearly a third or more of a persons income just to pay for government and programs is robbery in any aspect, and as far as it being more than he needs its not for you or I to decide that. How would you like to have your neighbors decide your house has too many bedrooms, or your yard is too big?
Do you think the neighbors of Joe top 1% have the right to decide how fast Joe can drive his Ferrari on public streets? When the choice is between allowing individuals to amass $3.5 billion in a single year and cutting thousands of government-paid first responders and public school teachers, Joe's neighbors have the same right to regulate his capital accumulation as they have to decide how fast he can drive on their streets.

It's called self defense.

I'm not clear on why you think 30% is a low tax rate on billionaires when most of them pay at the 15% capital gains rate when they bother paying anything at all.

"In what way do the richest 1% deserve these extraordinary gains?"

Argues the government gave the richest 1% of Americans these extraordinary gains by shifting the burden of taxation onto wages and salaries or cutting government services or both. Government also gave the richest 1% of Americans these extraordinary gains by deregulating Wall Street which then produced minimally taxed financial instruments that contributed nothing to US productivity but which did produce an economic collapse that wiped out $7.8 trillion worth of US home values.

Which US taxpayers continue to pay for.

10%?
90%

Keeping 90% of your own money is not the same as eliminating 90% of the government.
I think you're right.
"Keeping 90% of your own money is not the same as eliminating 90% of government."
My bad.

Do you have any idea how US annual revenues would change if every taxpayer contributed 10% of their annual income (wealth?) to the public good?

Where do you find your....

323.png

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SGyVNippvA]‪Are you kidding me‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]​

10%?
90%

I think you're right.
"Keeping 90% of your own money is not the same as eliminating 90% of government."
My bad.

Do you have any idea how US annual revenues would change if every taxpayer contributed 10% of their annual income (wealth?) to the public good?
http://lwd.dol.state.nj.us/labor/lpa/industry/incpov/tpi.htm
in 2010 the total personal income in the US was $12,530,101,184,000

10% of that would be

In 2010 the feds collected 899 billion in income taxes.

Seems to me that the income tax revenue would increase if we all kept 90% of our incomes.

And income and wealth are two different things.

Where do you find your....

323.png

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SGyVNippvA]‪Are you kidding me‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]​
You're sick!

And now your pathological hatred for all things Fox has brought you to this:

"'Jim Garvin' is Dr. James Garvin.

"He is 'the chief operating officer' with the Leedom Group. He brings more than 30 years experience in the financial services marketplace and has served on the governing boards of a number of international companies.

"According to Leedom Financial Services, which verified that he was today's Fox & Friends guest, the company offers 'a very competitive program' to provide capital for mature Buy Here – Pay Here dealers across the country with up to a five year commitment for dealers with strong operating results.

"The firm expects to fund $300 million in loans over the next 12 months. LFS can provide receivable based financing for Buy Here – Pay Here dealers with capital needs ranging $2 million to $50 million..."

News Hounds: Fox & Friends Guest, "Jim Garvin," Just A "Small Business Owner?"

Gee...I wonder if Dr. Jim ever had to live on $250,000 per year?
Joe the Plumber goes to Wall Street.
Only on Fox.

Do you think the neighbors of Joe top 1% have the right to decide how fast Joe can drive his Ferrari on public streets? When the choice is between allowing individuals to amass $3.5 billion in a single year and cutting thousands of government-paid first responders and public school teachers, Joe's neighbors have the same right to regulate his capital accumulation as they have to decide how fast he can drive on their streets.

Kill the greedy kulaks, eh comrade?
I'm not clear on why you think 30% is a low tax rate on billionaires when most of them pay at the 15% capital gains rate when they bother paying anything at all.

Argues the government gave the richest 1% of Americans these extraordinary gains by shifting the burden of taxation onto wages and salaries or cutting government services or both. Government also gave the richest 1% of Americans these extraordinary gains by deregulating Wall Street which then produced minimally taxed financial instruments that contributed nothing to US productivity but which did produce an economic collapse that wiped out $7.8 trillion worth of US home values.

Minimally taxed financial instruments? Like what?

Why don't you ask Ellen?

WEB OF DEBT BLOG

Ellen is a moron.
Since you're afraid to ask Ellen, let's as The Swami why:

North Dakota has the nation's lowest unemployment and foreclosure rate.
The largest budget surplus; and
The only state-owned bank!

Swami Beyondananda: “How California Can Solve Its Budget Crisis” [video] « WEB OF DEBT BLOG

Why are capitalists afraid of real competition?

I'm not afraid of Ellen, she's a moron.

Thanks for the idiocy set to music.

Gary North smacks her around nicely.....

Ellen Brown is a lawyer. Lawyers are trained to settle a case when they are losing. Brown just settled with me.

She has just switched sides. Instead of becoming an Austrian School critic of the Federal Reserve, she has become its cheerleader.

This is Bernanke's loss and the Tea Party's gain.

In my criticism, I kept saying that she is a leftist. She wants a welfare State funded by zero-interest loans from the government. She wants a big Federal government. She does not care how we get it. Now that the FED will inflate enough to pay for it, she has switched sides. Her primary commitment was always to the welfare State, not the battle against the FED.

In my detailed critique of her economics, I made it clear that she was never a conservative. Now she proves it. She praises Bernanke and the FED. She says that QE2 is not fiat helicopter money, and that Bernanke is not "Helicopter Ben," which he obviously is.

Hard to believe? Let me quote her.

A Bold Precedent

QE2 is not a "helicopter drop" of money on the banks or on Main Street. It is the Fed funding the government virtually interest-free, allowing the government to do what it needs to do without driving up the interest bill on the federal debt -- an interest bill that need not have existed in the first place. As Thomas Edison said, "If our nation can issue a dollar bond, it can issue a dollar bill. The element that makes the bond good, makes the bill good, also."
The Fed failed to revive the economy with QE1, but it could redeem itself with QE2, a bold precedent that might inspire other countries to break the chains of debt peonage in the same way. QE2 is the functional equivalent of what many countries did very successfully before the 1970s, when they funded their governments with interest-free loans from their own central banks.

Countries everywhere are now suffering from debt deflation. They could all use a good dose of their own interest-free national credit, beginning with Ireland and Greece.

What's Really Behind Quantitative Easing QE2? The Looming Threat of a Crippling Debt Service
As the kid said to Shoeless Joe Jackson after he threw the World Series, "Say it ain't so, Joe." (In the interest of historical accuracy, this quotation cannot be verified, but a non-exchange between a silent Joe and a group of boys did take place, and the words of one of them were close.)

Ellen Brown initially stood with the Greenbackers in their call to end the Federal Reserve. She parroted the Greenback Party line. She said that the FED is private, which is not really true. The Board of Governors is a government agency, as its website address reveals. It ends in .gov. She said that the government -- Congress -- should print money without interest rates.

Now that Treasury bond rates are low -- but not at zero percent, contrary to what she implies -- she has scrapped it all in full public view. She now says that the FED is on the government's side. "It is the Fed funding the government virtually interest-free, allowing the government to do what it needs to do without driving up the interest bill on the federal debt -- an interest bill that need not have existed in the first place." She wants the present enormous Federal government to continue doing "what it needs to do." She is a welfare State leftist, which I kept saying in my criticisms of her economics.

She praises QE2. She calls it "a bold move." She writes: "The Fed failed to revive the economy with QE1, but it could redeem itself with QE2, a bold precedent that might inspire other countries to break the chains of debt peonage in the same way." Got that? QE 2 is self-redemption.

If she tries to defend herself by saying, "This is consistent with what I have always said," then she is dumber than dirt, or else she thinks her followers are dumber than dirt. If she says, "Yes, I switched. So what?" then she is just another lawyer.

[Note: November 26. On November 24, she took this approach.
Gary North, who purports to be an expert on the errors in my book "Web of Debt," has evidently not actually read it. In an article posted on the Market Oracle on November 23, he says that in calling QE2 a "bold precedent," I have switched sides. He apparently missed the chapter I wrote on this subject, first published in "Web of Debt" in 2007, saying exactly what I am saying now. . . .]
In The Web of Debt, she repeatedly quotes Greenbacker Stephen Zarlenga as the world's expert in money. As I pointed out, Zarlenga posted a critical review of Brown, saying that she was a compromiser. He did not write it, but he posted it. I called attention to this review here:

Historical Response 28: Ellen Brown Refutes My Statement That the German Central Bank Was a Government Bank by Quoting Experts Who Also Say It Was.
Here is what the reviewer said.

Brown is clearly saying here it is banks lending "the use of something the lenders never had to lend" which "is a fraud" because people are made to think they're borrowing money that's there to be lent. Surprisingly then, Brown ends up wanting to enshrine this "fraud" by inserting it into the U.S. Constitution. Furthermore, Brown would enthrone the biggest Wall Street banks inside the U.S. Government to continue perpetrating it on the people. . . .
In summary, the book is very disappointing (from a monetary reform perspective) because Brown's conclusion proposes a non-solution: to keep the unsupportable debt-based system in place and consolidate it by embedding the fraudulent 'debt-money' accounting mechanism within the apparatus of government.

That's not effective reform and certainly not a "paradigm shift". Instead, Brown proposes to entrench the very same system she's been "shocking" us with. This is not "how we can break free" -- it's the same trap.

Now she has proven his case. She never had a clue about economic theory or monetary theory. She has therefore switched sides with ease -- we might call this intellectual quantitative easing.

Her only hope now is to insist that she never meant anything like this. "No, no, no, I meant something completely different. It's all a big misunderstanding." A lawyer who can't make herself clear needs to find another career -- maybe as an economic guru.

I have received many emails from Tea Party people telling me I am an economically ignorant fool for having criticized Brown publicly. These poor souls were her targets from day one, as I said repeatedly in my series. I called them victims. I said over and over, she was putting the shuck on the rubes. But they had committed to her emotionally. They refused to listen to my warnings.

This is what happens in every movement. Followers become committed emotionally to some guru, and will not listen to anyone who criticizes the guru. This is always a mistake. They risk winding up like Max Keiser.

The Tea Party movement claims to be a free enterprise movement, but its members have so little economic knowledge that they are vulnerable to loose canons like Ellen Brown. These naive people are sitting ducks.

Ellen Brown has now publicly set sail on board the cruise ship QE2 just as Captain Bernanke takes it out of port. She will be lost at sea.

She has always been intellectually lost at sea. This latest switch is part of her original lack of understanding. I offered 52 pieces of original evidence and 30 responses to prove it.

Continued here.

Ellen Brown Switches Sides, Praises Bernanke and the Federal Reserve, and Calls QE2 the FEDs Self-Redemption.

I think you're right.
My bad.

http://lwd.dol.state.nj.us/labor/lpa/industry/incpov/tpi.htm
in 2010 the total personal income in the US was $12,530,101,184,000

10% of that would be

In 2010 the feds collected 899 billion in income taxes.

Seems to me that the income tax revenue would increase if we all kept 90% of our incomes.

And income and wealth are two different things.
When you say the feds collected 899 billion in income taxes in 2010 does that include corporate and individual taxes?

If I'm reading this table correctly, 2010 Gross Collections for individual income tax was $1,175,422 (in millions) and corporate income taxes amounted to $225,482 (also in millions).

Do you really think elected Republicans OR Democrats will seriously consider your suggestion?

Tax Stats at a Glance

A little perspective...

Okay I see what your deal is now....

Taking more money from the wealthy is not self defense. And your attempt to liken it as such shows that you are not going to accept the fairness of anything that doesn't favor you..

You don't want fair you want what the 1% have only you don't want to go and earn it, you want it given to you. Sorry but it don't work that way. You seem to think the government is there to make sure life is fair to you and by your standard of fair. The government is there to ensure and protect we all have the same protection and rights. What you do with those rights are up to you.

The constitution does not guarantee you a good living or a life without want. It guarantees you the right and freedom to make the kind of life you want for yourself. Just like joe 1%.

Forum List

Back