The Right To Bear Arms

. Are you NRA types suggesting that any citizen ought to be able to own, carry and utilize any form of arms if he feels the need to use them in self protection, or are there some limits somewhere?

Right to keep and bear arms in common usage.

Muzzle loaders are no longer in common usage. Does that mean we no longer have a right to bear them?

Also, how do new weapons technologies ever pass that test if they are not in common usage when they are introduced?

Muzzle loaders are sold and used everyday. Most states have muzzle loader hunting season. They sell them at most shooting retailers.

What new weapons technology are you referring to ?

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/browse.cmd?N=1100199&WTz_l=SBC;BRprd740625

Last edited:
Muzzle loaders are no longer in common usage. Does that mean we no longer have a right to bear them?

Also, how do new weapons technologies ever pass that test if they are not in common usage when they are introduced?

Muzzle loaders are sold and used everyday. Most states have muzzle loader hunting season. They sell them at most shooting retailers.

What new weapons technology are you referring to ?

Cabela's: Black Powder

Regardless... Muzzle loaders are hardly "common".

Any new technology.... Throughout our history, firearms have improved in both speed and accuracy of fire... Whenever any of those advances first occurred, the new weapon was not in common usage.

Any new technology.... Throughout our history, firearms have improved in both speed and accuracy of fire... Whenever any of those advances first occurred, the new weapon was not in common usage.

Muzzle loaders are common. You are just not right on this. I know you dont like to be wrong.

Got an example of your firearms advancement theory ?

553638_476097485761296_996084998_n.jpg

Muzzle loaders are common. You are just not right on this. I know you dont like to be wrong.

Rifling of gun barrels. If the Heller definition had been in place then, they would have been prohibited. Are you suggesting that the firearms industry have all disbanded their R&D departments and that no new technologies will ever be forthcoming?

and I lived in Maine for a quarter of a century, and knew HUNDREDS of folks who hunted. I could count the number of muzzle loader owners in that group on one hand, even if I'd lost three fingers. Clearly, your definition of the word "common" and mine are different. We'll have to agree to disagree on that issue.

With every post by rightwing nitwits, supposed ‘advocates’ of ‘gun rights,’ they succeed in only undermining the Second Amendment and doing more harm than any ‘gun-grabber’ could.

Your ignorance and stupidity is neither helping nor wanted.

Rifling of gun barrels. If the Heller definition had been in place then, they would have been prohibited. Are you suggesting that the firearms industry have all disbanded their R&D departments and that no new technologies will ever be forthcoming?

and I lived in Maine for a quarter of a century, and knew HUNDREDS of folks who hunted. I could count the number of muzzle loader owners in that group on one hand, even if I'd lost three fingers. Clearly, your definition of the word "common" and mine are different. We'll have to agree to disagree on that issue.

I have to say your "rifling of gun barrels" was a pretty slick answer and more thought out than about 90% of anti-gun retorts. that said however, I am not certain that taking an existing smooth-bore arm and rifling the barrel to improve accuracy reduces the commonality of the arm.

We don't have to disagree. Maine, having one of the larger populations of N. American big game is prime muzzle loading country. The State of Maine has an entire licensing and industry around it.

Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife - Hunting Licenses

I have to say your "rifling of gun barrels" was a pretty slick answer and more thought out than about 90% of anti-gun retorts. that said however, I am not certain that taking an existing smooth-bore arm and rifling the barrel to improve accuracy reduces the commonality.

The point is that "arms" today bear little to no resemblance to those the founders knew. At each advancement, arms become more and more effective, more efficient, and more lethal. I happen to believe that government has a role to play in regulating which of those new technologies is solely for military use, and which ones ought to be available to private citizens. And if they do so after the use of some new technology has, perhaps, become somewhat common, I am fine with that, too.

Last edited:

I have to say your "rifling of gun barrels" was a pretty slick answer and more thought out than about 90% of anti-gun retorts. that said however, I am not certain that taking an existing smooth-bore arm and rifling the barrel to improve accuracy reduces the commonality of the arm.

We don't have to disagree. Maine, having one of the larger populations of N. American big game is prime muzzle loading country. The State of Maine has an entire licensing and industry around it.

Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife - Hunting Licenses

I agree, the point about barrel rifling is good.

New technologies will be introduced, then used widely, thereby making them in common usage. I'm not sure how that pertains to automatic machine guns. Are they in common usage yet?

Interesting.

I have to say your "rifling of gun barrels" was a pretty slick answer and more thought out than about 90% of anti-gun retorts. that said however, I am not certain that taking an existing smooth-bore arm and rifling the barrel to improve accuracy reduces the commonality.

The point is that "arms" today bear little to no resemblance to those the founders knew. At each advancement, arms become more and more effective, more efficient, and more lethal. I happen to believe that government has a role to play in regulating which of those new technologies is solely for military use, and which ones ought to be available to private citizens. And if they do so after the use of some new technology has, perhaps, become somewhat common, I am fine with that, too.

I think a good parallel is technology advancement and the First Amendment. The founders never envisioned abortion, the Internet, radio, or satellite TV.

In some situations there are virtually no restrictions for speech while others are regulated to the point where prior government approval is required. Some rights are granted as extensions of derived rights (abortion resulting from privacy).

Some technologies like rifling, the removable magazine, and laser scopes have not been restricted while other technologies like tracer rounds, incendiary rounds (separate from explosive rounds) and full-auto have been restricted.

Interesting.

Forum List

Back