🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

The Secular Jew Who Transformed Judaism

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
The Pew Research Center's 2013 report, "A Portrait of Jewish Americans," found that an astounding one third of all U.S. Jews under the age of 30 call themselves Jews of no religion. If that seems problematic to us today, the very thought that one could be Jewish without Judaism was inconceivable to our ancestors. All that changed on July 27, 1656, the day the leaders of Talmud Torah, the Portuguese Jewish Community of Amsterdam, excommunicated 24-year-old philosopher Baruch Spinoza (1632–1677).

Although the writ of excommunication did not specify Spinoza’s “abominable heresies,” we know from his later published works that he denied almost every major tenet of traditional Jewish belief, including that God created and controls the world, that God makes ethical demands on us, that the Torah is the revelation of God’s will, and that Jews are God’s chosen people. He also dared to criticize religion—all religion—for propagating untruths and fostering dogma and superstitions that had led to great evils perpetrated in the name of God.

Spinoza’s faith was the faith in reason. Reason alone, he asserted, could uncover truth, herald the building of an enlightened and tolerant society, and serve as the path to personal spiritual fulfillment. “I call him free who is led solely by reason,” Spinoza wrote, adding that “The highest activity a human being can attain is learning for understanding, because to understand is to be free.” He considered the perfection of reason to be our most meaningful task. “In this alone,” he said, “man’s highest happiness, or blessedness consists.”

While Spinoza’s excommunication isolated him from his family and friends, it did not cause him to repent or his ideas to wither. Rather, he went on to publish his magnum opus, Tractatus Theologico-Politicus (1670), as well as Ethics (1675), earning him the reputation of being the most brilliant and controversial philosopher of his age.

Even though he never again had contact with the Jewish community, Spinoza did not renounce his Jewishness. He declined all overtures to convert to Christianity and continued to study traditional Jewish thought—if only to refute it. His home library was full of Jewish books. He studied Hebrew in order to be able to read the Torah in the original language, and was said to be working on a book of Hebrew grammar at the time of his death.

In short, in being the first great Jewish philosopher to adopt an ideology of pure reason, to the utter exclusion of revelation, Spinoza also became the archetype of the secular Jew. And, as a secular Jew, he offered ideas that have profoundly impacted Jewish thought and belief ever since.

While the founders of Reform Judaism rejected Spinoza’s most radical notions about God, they nevertheless rooted Reform Judaism in Spinoza’s idea that “[we must] make a fresh examination of Scripture with a free and unprejudiced mind.” Reform Movement pioneer Rabbi Abraham Geiger (1810–1874), for example, echoed Spinoza in insisting that “the treatment of the historical content of the Bible…must be subject to all laws which may be termed the science of history.” Reform theologian Kaufmann Kohler (1843–1926), former president of the Hebrew Union College, acknowledged that “systematic critical investigation of the Bible began with Baruch Spinoza.”

Spinoza’s assertion that the Bible should be critically examined from the viewpoint of the “science of history” also influenced Reform Judaism’s major platforms of beliefs and principles through the 19th and 20th centuries. The Pittsburgh Platform of 1885 asserted: “We hold that the modern discoveries of scientific research in the domains of nature and history are not antagonistic to the doctrines of Judaism.” A half century later, the Columbus Platform (1937) proclaimed: “The new discoveries of science…do not conflict with the essential spirit of religion.” The San Francisco Platform of 1976 declared: “Scholarship needs to be conducted by modern, critical methods.”

- See more at: The Secular Jew Who Transformed Judaism Reform Judaism

Cool article on Spinoza. At the bottom of the article is an imaginary trial of Spinoza which seems really weak.

There's a major issue with this...
I like Spinoza but remember his family was forced into Christianity as was his culture, so his view is based on having their precepts of common terms, but are not commonly defined. In other words he's been tainted so unless you can ask him to clearify thoughts and define concepts to find the errors in his logic of his view of Judaism then this has to be understood in context of his not being knowledgable enough about the religion he was revisiting through heritage.

From what I remember about him, he eventually came to be liken to a Jewish Naturalist or humsnist which is bssically the early sages intent when describingcan essence not a form thus never to speak a name because intangibles have descriptions not names and setting a name creates a figure from said name instead if the meaning of the word used to describe that Essence of life.

Last edited:
I like Spinoza but remember his family was forced into Christianity as was his culture, so his view is based on having their precepts of common terms, but are not commonly defined. In other words he's been tainted so unless you can ask him to clearify thoughts and define concepts to find the errors in his logic of his view of Judaism then this has to be understood in context of his not being knowledgable enough about the religion he was revisiting through heritage.

From what I remember about him, he eventually came to be liken to a Jewish Naturalist or humsnist which is bssically the early sages intent when describingcan essence not a form thus never to speak a name because intangibles have descriptions not names and setting a name creates a figure from said name instead if the meaning of the word used to describe that Essence of life.

He was excommunicated. He never became a Christian. He was raised Jewish.

Last edited:
But what he thought he knew was tainted by the pagan influences and church bastardization of concepts from God, devil, angels, heaven, hell all precepts tainted by pagan beliefs and church redefined errors.
He also didn't have a central source like the Temple in his day, now did he? Which supports what I said replying to the question why there are so many varied and opposing beliefs in Christianity. How can he have a solid view of that which he knows so little of except what a varied view Christian world influenced on him and his culture?

Other factors to consider:
He didn't understand what prophecy is, how it's done, why it's done, nor where it comes from.
Everything has a process and because he didn't know the process he never figured the rest of the puzzle out.
It would be like someone picking up a rubicks cube then tossing it against the wall after hours of failing to solve it saying it can't be done. To the ones who fail to secret the process it must be a false riddle and yet there are some that can pick that puzzle up in minutes and solve it and thus find nothing wrong with that puzzle.
Depends if you know or not-to how you perceive it.
Ironically this game of life comes with instructions a cliff notes of sorts.
I keep telling you the focus on the Holy city is because in it's name alone
it holds the instructions to the purpose in life, the Essence, the path, how to know and evaluate what's right or wrong-good or bad without it being subjective opinion.
The legend in the name also holds the basic good cop bad cop story of the 2 messiahs =2 cherubs(guardians) represented on the ark of the covenant.
Basically making the Holy City name a cliff note for those to lazy or capable of reading the whole Mikra(i.e. Bible)

But what he thought he knew was tainted by the pagan influences and church bastardization of concepts from God, devil, angels, heaven, hell all precepts tainted by pagan beliefs and church redefined errors.
He also didn't have a central source like the Temple in his day, now did he? Which supports what I said replying to the question why there are so many varied and opposing beliefs in Christianity. How can he have a solid view of that which he knows so little of except what a varied view Christian world influenced on him and his culture?

Other factors to consider:
He didn't understand what prophecy is, how it's done, why it's done, nor where it comes from.
Everything has a process and because he didn't know the process he never figured the rest of the puzzle out.
It would be like someone picking up a rubicks cube then tossing it against the wall after hours of failing to solve it saying it can't be done. To the ones who fail to secret the process it must be a false riddle and yet there are some that can pick that puzzle up in minutes and solve it and thus find nothing wrong with that puzzle.
Depends if you know or not-to how you perceive it.
Ironically this game of life comes with instructions a cliff notes of sorts.
I keep telling you the focus on the Holy city is because in it's name alone
it holds the instructions to the purpose in life, the Essence, the path, how to know and evaluate what's right or wrong-good or bad without it being subjective opinion.
The legend in the name also holds the basic good cop bad cop story of the 2 messiahs =2 cherubs(guardians) represented on the ark of the covenant.
Basically making the Holy City name a cliff note for those to lazy or capable of reading the whole Mikra(i.e. Bible)

Proof?

Spinoza wasn't exactly a secular Jew since he believed in God.

Quote from the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy: Spinoza's God is an “infinite intellect”, (Ethics 2p11c) all knowing, (2p3) and capable of loving both himself—and us, insofar as we are part of his perfection. (5p35c) And if the mark of a personal being is that it is one towards which we can entertain personal attitudes, then we should note too that Spinoza recommends amor intellectualis dei (the intellectual love of God) as the supreme good for man. (5p33) However, the matter is complex. Spinoza's God does not have free will (1p32c1), he does not have purposes or intentions (1apendix), and Spinoza insists that “neither intellect nor will pertain to the nature of God” (1p17s1). Moreover, while we may love God, we need to remember that God is really not the kind of being who could ever love us back. “He who loves God cannot strive that God should love him in return,” says Spinoza (5p19).

Disir,
Are you asking for something specific or just bumping up your post?

Spinoza wasn't exactly a secular Jew since he believed in God.

Quote from the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy: Spinoza's God is an “infinite intellect”, (Ethics 2p11c) all knowing, (2p3) and capable of loving both himself—and us, insofar as we are part of his perfection. (5p35c) And if the mark of a personal being is that it is one towards which we can entertain personal attitudes, then we should note too that Spinoza recommends amor intellectualis dei (the intellectual love of God) as the supreme good for man. (5p33) However, the matter is complex. Spinoza's God does not have free will (1p32c1), he does not have purposes or intentions (1apendix), and Spinoza insists that “neither intellect nor will pertain to the nature of God” (1p17s1). Moreover, while we may love God, we need to remember that God is really not the kind of being who could ever love us back. “He who loves God cannot strive that God should love him in return,” says Spinoza (5p19).

He is considered a secular Jew because he refused to be hampered by religious rule.

You can believe in a god and be secular.

Disir,
Are you asking for something specific or just bumping up your post?

I think you have the wrong guy here, HaShev. I'm looking for something specific. He was not forced into Christianity. His parents were not forced into Christianity.

I believe I refered originally to his spanish heritage, if that did not convey then I'm sorry.

You well enough know that during the inquisition they were all forced and their society they existed in was thus changed and any attempt to revisit his Jewish heritage is only as good as the tainted precepts he existed in. CONCEPT DEFINITION OF GOD, DEVIL , HEAVEN, HELL, ANGELS WERE NOW Christian tainted reinventions tainting how he made his conclusions based on those precepts not the original Judaic ones.

I'll give an example using Christian reinvented interps of the bible.
Daniel and Theslonians mention coming from with or out of "clouds". In the era of the Bible this meant gathering of temple priests.
Christian influence reinvention interprets literal clouds in the sky.
IF Spinoza Decides this man coming out of the sky clouds is rediculous, then he is tainted by Christian precepts that distorted how he read the Bible as are the many rapture zealots.
So we can conclude Spinoza's ideas on the Bible or faith is tainted by society in which he lives. That which tainted these notions and as I stated clearly, he did not have a temple to clear up these mistakes and assumptions. Thus proving my point about the necessity of a viable central source, one which the Vatican failed to be. Build the temple then we can
talk.

Last edited:
I believe I refered originally to his spanish heritage, if that did not convey then I'm sorry.

You well enough know that during the inquisition they were all forced and their society they existed in was thus changed and any attempt to revisit his Jewish heritage is only as good as the tainted precepts he existed in. CONCEPT DEFINITION OF GOD, DEVIL , HEAVEN, HELL, ANGELS WERE NOW Christian tainted reinventions tainting how he made his conclusions based on those precepts not the original Judaic ones.

I'll give an example using Christian reinvented interps of the bible.
Daniel and Theslonians mention coming from with or out of "clouds". In the era of the Bible this meant gathering of temple priests.
Christian influence reinvention interprets literal clouds in the sky.
IF Spinoza Decides this man coming out of the sky clouds is rediculous, then he is tainted by Christian precepts that distorted how he read the Bible as are the many rapture zealots.
So we can conclude Spinoza's ideas on the Bible or faith is tainted by society in which he lives. That which tainted these notions and as I stated clearly, he did not have a temple to clear up these mistakes and assumptions. Thus proving my point about the necessity of a viable central source, one which the Vatican failed to be. Build the temple then we can
talk.

He was born in Amsterdam. His mother died when he was 6. His father when he was 11. He was influenced by Descartes.

Last edited:
The Pew Research Center's 2013 report, "A Portrait of Jewish Americans," found that an astounding one third of all U.S. Jews under the age of 30 call themselves Jews of no religion. If that seems problematic to us today, the very thought that one could be Jewish without Judaism was inconceivable to our ancestors. All that changed on July 27, 1656, the day the leaders of Talmud Torah, the Portuguese Jewish Community of Amsterdam, excommunicated 24-year-old philosopher Baruch Spinoza (1632–1677).

Although the writ of excommunication did not specify Spinoza’s “abominable heresies,” we know from his later published works that he denied almost every major tenet of traditional Jewish belief, including that God created and controls the world, that God makes ethical demands on us, that the Torah is the revelation of God’s will, and that Jews are God’s chosen people. He also dared to criticize religion—all religion—for propagating untruths and fostering dogma and superstitions that had led to great evils perpetrated in the name of God.

Spinoza’s faith was the faith in reason. Reason alone, he asserted, could uncover truth, herald the building of an enlightened and tolerant society, and serve as the path to personal spiritual fulfillment. “I call him free who is led solely by reason,” Spinoza wrote, adding that “The highest activity a human being can attain is learning for understanding, because to understand is to be free.” He considered the perfection of reason to be our most meaningful task. “In this alone,” he said, “man’s highest happiness, or blessedness consists.”

While Spinoza’s excommunication isolated him from his family and friends, it did not cause him to repent or his ideas to wither. Rather, he went on to publish his magnum opus, Tractatus Theologico-Politicus (1670), as well as Ethics (1675), earning him the reputation of being the most brilliant and controversial philosopher of his age.

Even though he never again had contact with the Jewish community, Spinoza did not renounce his Jewishness. He declined all overtures to convert to Christianity and continued to study traditional Jewish thought—if only to refute it. His home library was full of Jewish books. He studied Hebrew in order to be able to read the Torah in the original language, and was said to be working on a book of Hebrew grammar at the time of his death.

In short, in being the first great Jewish philosopher to adopt an ideology of pure reason, to the utter exclusion of revelation, Spinoza also became the archetype of the secular Jew. And, as a secular Jew, he offered ideas that have profoundly impacted Jewish thought and belief ever since.

While the founders of Reform Judaism rejected Spinoza’s most radical notions about God, they nevertheless rooted Reform Judaism in Spinoza’s idea that “[we must] make a fresh examination of Scripture with a free and unprejudiced mind.” Reform Movement pioneer Rabbi Abraham Geiger (1810–1874), for example, echoed Spinoza in insisting that “the treatment of the historical content of the Bible…must be subject to all laws which may be termed the science of history.” Reform theologian Kaufmann Kohler (1843–1926), former president of the Hebrew Union College, acknowledged that “systematic critical investigation of the Bible began with Baruch Spinoza.”

Spinoza’s assertion that the Bible should be critically examined from the viewpoint of the “science of history” also influenced Reform Judaism’s major platforms of beliefs and principles through the 19th and 20th centuries. The Pittsburgh Platform of 1885 asserted: “We hold that the modern discoveries of scientific research in the domains of nature and history are not antagonistic to the doctrines of Judaism.” A half century later, the Columbus Platform (1937) proclaimed: “The new discoveries of science…do not conflict with the essential spirit of religion.” The San Francisco Platform of 1976 declared: “Scholarship needs to be conducted by modern, critical methods.”

Cool article on Spinoza. At the bottom of the article is an imaginary trial of Spinoza which seems really weak.

Judaism's no different than Christianity and Islam in how the best way to raise an atheist is to raise a Jew, Christian, or Muslim. :)

Judaism's no different than Christianity and Islam in how the best way to raise an atheist is to raise a Jew, Christian, or Muslim. :)

That's funny. My kid wanted to read the Torah. Every couple of days I check in to see where he is at. Last time I checked, he had this pained look on his face, "Circumcision".

That's funny. My kid wanted to read the Torah. Every couple of days I check in to see where he is at. Last time I checked, he had this pained look on his face, "Circumcision".

I'm so confident in religion putting people off that despite being decidely atheist, if people ask me about religion, or should they go to church I tell them "Absolutely." :) Far as I know, no atheist today wasn't raised atheist. Can't not believe in god if you have no earthly idea who god is. :)

Sorry I made an error he was Sephardi Portuguese origin not Spanish and it was still an inquisition, the Portugal Inquisition about a little over a hundred years before he was born that might have been what chased his family out. I only know of his philosophy from compiled philosophers text, not his personal history.
Giordano Bruno being one of his influences can't help his perceptions either.

his community in Portugal faced forced conversion to
Christianity------no doubt that fact did have some impact
on his MIND

Sorry I made an error he was Sephardi Portuguese origin not Spanish and it was still an inquisition, the Portugal Inquisition about a little over a hundred years before he was born that might have been what chased his family out. I only know of his philosophy from compiled philosophers text, not his personal history.
Giordano Bruno being one of his influences can't help his perceptions either.

You got it right now----his family fled the inquisition in Portugal----and went where portugese went-----amsterdam

3 more points beside no Temple central source, he had no scrolls found in his day that clearified through commentary meaning of Biblical terms and concepts as well as context=no viable lexicon.
He had no internet/computer/bible search engine.
And lastly in line with that, he lived in an age of poor communications.

on his MIND

Not enough to dismiss him as "tainted". That would have been his parents community, they died when he was quite young and he was raised Jewish-not Christian. One cannot say that if that would never have happened then he would have remained obedient and unquestioning. He was just as inquisitive as his contemporaries.

on his MIND

Not enough to dismiss him as "tainted". That would have been his parents community, they died when he was quite young and he was raised Jewish-not Christian. One cannot say that if that would never have happened then he would have remained obedient and unquestioning. He was just as inquisitive as his contemporaries.

did I suggest he was "tainted"------the circumstances of his life
had an EFFECT on his mindset------that's all LIKE EVERYONE ELSE. The experiences of his GREAT GRANDPARENTS in Portugal-----impacted on him---assuming he was brought up by ANY of his own relatives.
Your great grandma------especially on the maternal side----
impacted on just how you were nurtured as an infant
Check out the writings of developemental psychologists
like ERIKSON

Forum List

Back