The state's popular vote compact is dead

The will of which people? The people in the district represented by an elector? Or the people of a state, regardless of the will of those in a particular district? This newest plot to force mob rule on all others would appear to subvert the will of people in specific districts in favor of those in other districts. The EC was designed specifically to prevent mob rule. It was a good idea then, it's an even better idea now.

Sure, bud. I love it when wingnuts describe using democracy to elect our president as "mob rule", it's not.

Maybe you missed the point of the thread, electors are not beholden to anybody, that's a problem for the EC. The OP somehow thought this is a blow to the popular vote compact, it's not but she's kind of an idiot.
Read a bit, bud. The founders designed this nation as a representative republic for a reason. They understood that more populated areas would inflict their will on less populated ones, i.e. mob rule. That would effectively leave some regions without representation. The founders were pretty adamant that individuals be provided representation of their interests. Sometimes, the mob will not prevail.
Difference Between Democracy and Republic (with Comparison Chart) - Key Differences

They designed the electoral college so that the powers that be could prevent the population from electing an undesirable. They had no way of knowing that a state like California or Texas would vastly outnumber states like Montana, Wyoming or either of the Dakotas.

BTW, we are a representitive democracy where we vote (democracy part) politicians to represent us (Republic part). There are very, very few direct democracies in the world, only one I can think of.

From your link:

The Republic is the representative democracy where there is an elected chief of the state, who serves the state for a certain period, known as the President. In this political system, the government cannot take away the inalienable rights of the individual. In other words, the right of an individual cannot be overridden by the masses.

No mention of an electoral college being necessary either, cuz it has nothing to do with our form of government.

And they didn't think stupid liberals would allow illegal rapist killer Mexicans to vote either.

You're the guy that supports Gabbard, right?

So?

I am not a single issue voter like you

Sure, bud. I love it when wingnuts describe using democracy to elect our president as "mob rule", it's not.

Maybe you missed the point of the thread, electors are not beholden to anybody, that's a problem for the EC. The OP somehow thought this is a blow to the popular vote compact, it's not but she's kind of an idiot.
Read a bit, bud. The founders designed this nation as a representative republic for a reason. They understood that more populated areas would inflict their will on less populated ones, i.e. mob rule. That would effectively leave some regions without representation. The founders were pretty adamant that individuals be provided representation of their interests. Sometimes, the mob will not prevail.
Difference Between Democracy and Republic (with Comparison Chart) - Key Differences

They designed the electoral college so that the powers that be could prevent the population from electing an undesirable. They had no way of knowing that a state like California or Texas would vastly outnumber states like Montana, Wyoming or either of the Dakotas.

BTW, we are a representitive democracy where we vote (democracy part) politicians to represent us (Republic part). There are very, very few direct democracies in the world, only one I can think of.

From your link:

The Republic is the representative democracy where there is an elected chief of the state, who serves the state for a certain period, known as the President. In this political system, the government cannot take away the inalienable rights of the individual. In other words, the right of an individual cannot be overridden by the masses.

No mention of an electoral college being necessary either, cuz it has nothing to do with our form of government.

And they didn't think stupid liberals would allow illegal rapist killer Mexicans to vote either.

So?

What? Single issue?

Socialized healthcare
No wall
pro gay rights (at least now she is)
pro choice
eliminate college tuition

Which of the many issues do you agree with Gabbard?

Doesn't the challenge by certain states support the reasoning behind your Founding Father instituting the E.C in the first place?

You left the British Monarchy for a reason

Actually the 'Founders' were a pretty elitist bunch; the Senate determined who was President, and who got appointed to the Supreme Court as well, and the problem with that is the railroads and other big businesses controlled the statehouses and therefore the Senate, especially after the Civil War and the corrupt Chase Court. That was why 'the Gilded Age' was so 'Gilded' for big business, so eventually that had to change to include both Houses of Congress.

Last edited:
Democrats are the biggest election cheaters since Xi. They can't win elections without cheating

The ruling is wrong.

It's not democrats who do all they can to prevent people from voting.

There is no credible evidence of any democrat cheating.

republicans did work with russians to win the 2016 election. republicans did use stollen documents in the 2016 election.

BS. We all know now Democrats worked with Russian intelligence agents to sabotage the election, not Trump, so you traitors just need to dream up something even more ridiculous, since your fake news is never going to fly again.

Maybe it is time to get rid of it.

Completely agree, if electors are not bound to something remotely resembling the will of the people then why have it at all?
The will of which people? The people in the district represented by an elector? Or the people of a state, regardless of the will of those in a particular district? This newest plot to force mob rule on all others would appear to subvert the will of people in specific districts in favor of those in other districts. The EC was designed specifically to prevent mob rule. It was a good idea then, it's an even better idea now.

Thing is we aren't a democracy

We are a representative democracy, like most other democracies are.

Doesn't the challenge by certain states support the reasoning behind your Founding Father instituting the E.C in the first place?

Actually the 'Founders' were a pretty elitist bunch; the Senate determined who was President, and who got appointed to the Supreme Court as well, and the problem with that is the railroads and other big businesses controlled the statehouses and therefore the Senate, especially after the Civil War and the corrupt Chase Court. That was why 'the Gilded Age' was so 'Gilded' for big business, so eventually that had to change to include both Houses of Congress.

Actually the 'Founders' were a pretty elitist bunch; the Senate determined who was President,

You want to restate your Senate comment?

Completely agree, if electors are not bound to something remotely resembling the will of the people then why have it at all?

ART. IV
Section 4.
The United States shall guarantee to every state in this union a republican form of government, and shall protect each of them against invasion; and on application of the legislature, or of the executive (when the legislature cannot be convened) against domestic violence.

Actually the 'Founders' were a pretty elitist bunch; the Senate determined who was President,

Why would I? Do you have some bizarre spin on why the 17th Amendment was passed? Was it commies behind it?

Why would I? Do you have some bizarre spin on why the 17th Amendment was passed? Was it commies behind it?

Why would I?

Because you didn't think the Senate chose the President?

Do you have some bizarre spin on why the 17th Amendment was passed?

The 17th let the EC choose the President instead of the Senate?

Here is what I think you meant to say,

"Actually the 'Founders' were a pretty elitist bunch; the state legislatures elected the Senate"

Why would I?

"Actually the 'Founders' were a pretty elitist bunch; the state legislatures elected the Senate"

Nope., I meant exactly what I said; the Senators were the state political bosses; they controlled the electoral votes of the state as well as the Party machines. Until they finally began to be popularly elected, they controlled who got elected President; they had the most power and wealth, especially after the Civil War. The 17th stripped some of that power away from the Senate.

Why would I?

Nope., I meant exactly what I said; the Senators were the state political bosses; they controlled the electoral votes of the state as well as the Party machines. Until they finally began to be popularly elected, they controlled who got elected President; they had the most power and wealth, especially after the Civil War. The 17th stripped some of that power away from the Senate.

The senators didn't force the people to vote for their preferred candidate.

Why would I?

The 17th stripped some of that power away from the Senate.

The Senators were so powerful, they allowed the 17th Amendment to be ratified......WOW!

That's some real power.

Why would I?

The senators didn't force the people to vote for their preferred candidate.

The party leaders, mostly those who were also Senators, told them who their candidates would be. But I'm not surprised you don't know that.

Why would I?

The Senators were so powerful, they allowed the 17th Amendment to be ratified......WOW!

That's some real power.
lol I guess someone didn't know the States selected the Senators before the 17th amendment.

Why would I?

That's some real power.
lol I guess someone didn't know the States selected the Senators before the 17th amendment.

Where did you get that idea? From Todd's silly post? You must be as 'knowledgeable' as Todd, poor reading skills included.

Then why is gay marriage legal in California, when the voters said No?

We are a constitutional republic

From your link:

So?

What? Single issue?

Socialized healthcare
No wall
pro choice

Again so what?

It was considered unconstitutional. But that was a state law numb nuts. Unless your point is that California is a democracy but the United States isn't then I'm not really sure why you brought it up.

From your link:

So?

What? Single issue?

Socialized healthcare
No wall
pro choice

Again so what?

That you support a candidate that you have next to nothing that you agree upon? And you said I was a one issue voter (not sure where that came from).

It was considered unconstitutional. But that was a state law numb nuts. Unless your point is that California is a democracy but the United States isn't then I'm not really sure why you brought it up.

So now your fucking admitting we are a constitutional republic..

Thanks for playing..

Forum List

Back