Votes: 74 29.7%
  • Bigoted

Votes: 25 10.0%
  • Crazy

Votes: 105 42.2%
  • Christian

Votes: 45 18.1%

• Total voters
I SEE...you both have a lot of faith in that pile of surrealistic horse dung of an outlook.... Eventhough you can't see the smell of dung it still sure stinks.... You know it is some place close by...you know you can have faith in that.....

Proven is not the word you are looking for Skeptik. Plausible is not Proven. Otherwise it would be called the Law of Evolution.

Proven is not the word you are looking for Skeptik. Plausible is not Proven. Otherwise it would be called the Law of Evolution.

The idea that a scientific theory is "just a theory and not proven" is a common misconception. In colloquial terms, we use the word "theory" to mean something that someone believes to be true, but isn't proven. In scientific terms, however, the word has quite a different meaning:

What is a scientific theory?

Theory: A theory is what one or more hypotheses become once they have been verified and accepted to be true. A theory is an explanation of a set of related observations or events based upon proven hypotheses and verified multiple times by detached groups of researchers. Unfortunately, even some scientists often use the term "theory" in a more colloquial sense, when they really mean to say "hypothesis." That makes its true meaning in science even more confusing to the general public.

In general, both a scientific theory and a scientific law are accepted to be true by the scientific community as a whole. Both are used to make predictions of events. Both are used to advance technology.

Verify:

ver·i·fy (vr-f)
tr.v. ver·i·fied, ver·i·fy·ing, ver·i·fies
1. To prove the truth of by presentation of evidence or testimony; substantiate.
2. To determine or test the truth or accuracy of, as by comparison, investigation, or reference: experiments that verified the hypothesis. See Synonyms at confirm.
3. Law
a. To affirm formally or under oath.
b. To append a verification to (a pleading); conclude with a verification.

The idea that a scientific theory is "just a theory and not proven" is a common misconception. In colloquial terms, we use the word "theory" to mean something that someone believes to be true, but isn't proven. In scientific terms, however, the word has quite a different meaning:

Theory: A theory is what one or more hypotheses become once they have been verified and accepted to be true. A theory is an explanation of a set of related observations or events based upon proven hypotheses and verified multiple times by detached groups of researchers. Unfortunately, even some scientists often use the term "theory" in a more colloquial sense, when they really mean to say "hypothesis." That makes its true meaning in science even more confusing to the general public.

In general, both a scientific theory and a scientific law are accepted to be true by the scientific community as a whole. Both are used to make predictions of events. Both are used to advance technology.

Verify:

ver·i·fy (vr-f)
1. To prove the truth of by presentation of evidence or testimony; substantiate.
2. To determine or test the truth or accuracy of, as by comparison, investigation, or reference: experiments that verified the hypothesis. See Synonyms at confirm.
3. Law

Skeptik I've respected just about everything you've ever said, but this is ridiculous. First I don't know the source of this claim you've made and it's a pretty raunchy statement to say that the "scientific community as a whole" is united on ANYTHING. There is so much debate over this among scientists that it insults my intelligence to suggest that they are united on this. A majority opinion means nothing to me. If there is even one right minded scientist who doubts this proposed Law of Evolution, then there is reasonable doubt.

You say it's been verified, but by whom? and what is exactly verified? The origin of man? Really you think that's been verified? Do I really need to cite sources of scientists arguing the matter. I don't think so.

Scientists, however smart they think they are, cannot change the definition of theory. Even if they call it scientific theory, what they're really suggesting is not that dissimilar from ancient Catholic Dogmas; which is accept what we tell you and don't question.

Theory is theory, and law is law. Scientists are guilty of dogmas too.

Verify:

ver·i·fy (vr-f)
3. Law

Skeptik I've respected just about everything you've ever said, but this is ridiculous. First I don't know the source of this claim you've made and it's a pretty raunchy statement to say that the "scientific community as a whole" is united on ANYTHING. There is so much debate over this among scientists that it insults my intelligence to suggest that they are united on this. A majority opinion means nothing to me. If there is even one right minded scientist who doubts this proposed Law of Evolution, then there is reasonable doubt.

You say it's been verified, but by whom? and what is exactly verified? The origin of man? Really you think that's been verified? Do I really need to cite sources of scientists arguing the matter. I don't think so.

Scientists, however smart they think they are, cannot change the definition of theory. Even if they call it scientific theory, what they're really suggesting is not that dissimilar from ancient Catholic Dogmas; which is accept what we tell you and don't question.

The theory of evolution, like any scientific theory, has been proven over and over by people from all over the world. It will never be proven to the satisfaction of people who insist on taking ancient writings as historical fact, of course, but your religion does not insist that you believe in the young Earth nonsense.

Then, there is the misconception that evolution is somehow connected with atheism. That simply is not true. There is no conflict between god and evolution, as the latter shows just how life was created on Earth, at least to the believer. While there is no evidence for god (other than his creation), there is proof that creatures on this Earth evolved.

Are humans somehow different, created by some other process? If you maintain that, then you must dismiss the known fact that there once were other species of the genus homo, and that the genus astralopithecus preceded them all. Moreover, the human genome is not all that different from that of other primates. No, the fossil record is quite clear on the origin of man, and the modern science of genetics supports it. Once in a while, there is a new discovery that sheds new light on the story, but nothing at all that refutes it.

I SEE...you both have a lot of faith in that pile of surrealistic horse dung of an outlook.... Eventhough you can't see the smell of dung it still sure stinks.... You know it is some place close by...you know you can have faith in that.....

We (and I am speaking for Skeptic as well as me) have faith that your emotional and psychological center have been stained by life's lack of concern for your well being.

I see your still kicking a dead horse.... How much more can be said about Mormonism, and evolution/creation/theory.....:eusa_pray:

I know...your wrong...your right....your wrong...your right... I don't know....:lol:

Verify:

ver·i·fy (vr-f)
3. Law

The theory of evolution, like any scientific theory, has been proven over and over by people from all over the world. It will never be proven to the satisfaction of people who insist on taking ancient writings as historical fact, of course, but your religion does not insist that you believe in the young Earth nonsense.

Then, there is the misconception that evolution is somehow connected with atheism. That simply is not true. There is no conflict between god and evolution, as the latter shows just how life was created on Earth, at least to the believer. While there is no evidence for god (other than his creation), there is proof that creatures on this Earth evolved.

Are humans somehow different, created by some other process? If you maintain that, then you must dismiss the known fact that there once were other species of the genus homo, and that the genus astralopithecus preceded them all. Moreover, the human genome is not all that different from that of other primates. No, the fossil record is quite clear on the origin of man, and the modern science of genetics supports it. Once in a while, there is a new discovery that sheds new light on the story, but nothing at all that refutes it.

I'm not saying that there is no argument from the pro evolution theorists I'm just saying I'm not thoroughly convinced and there will be more evidence that comes to light that changes all the evolutionists theories again. I also think your stretching when you're saying the theory has been proven. Plausible makes more sense than the word proven. We'll have to agree to disagree, but that's fine. Now onto more doctrinal issues finally

Last edited:
The pro-evolution and the ID are not salvation arguments, simply curiosity.

Evolution and ID should be taught in our schools, the first in the biology and the second in liberal arts classroom.

I am absolutely convinced that it takes greater faith to believe in no God than in a God. No philosophical argument can withstand being pulled apart in the first two syllogisms. Very funny to watch the atheists react to the same arguments used on them that they so poorly try to use on the believe3rs.

While I agree with Truthspeaker that the discussion of evolution/creationism has run its course, this one was just too funny not to post.

If you're a Palinista and a creationist, you might be offended, at least I hope so.

PeterPalin2851409121_531092a1fd%5B1%5D.jpg

Front to back? Once in high school, two times again since then, and since posting on the Board, I check the BoM against LDS posters statements here for consistency,

Front to back? Once in high school, two times again since then, and since posting on the Board, I check the BoM against LDS posters statements here for consistency,

Glad you've read it. I just wish you would have understood it.

Amazing that we've lasted this long on here. Hey How about some BYU Comments!!! Pretty interesting Honor code violation situation from the center Brandon Davies.

I understand that is a fictional creation of Joseph Smith, one of the most unusual Americans of the first half of the 1800s. Religious scripture. No, the holy spirit of God witnesses against it. But God will judge you by your heart's intentions as well as your behavior, and grace and mercy come from that. We are all believers, Avatar4321, and I wish you would follow the BoM's doctrines of taking care of the poor. Remember that King Benjamin ruled a theocracy, fusion of religion and state. There, was no such things as private charity.

I understand that is a fictional creation of Joseph Smith, one of the most unusual Americans of the first half of the 1800s. Religious scripture. No, the holy spirit of God witnesses against it. But God will judge you by your heart's intentions as well as your behavior, and grace and mercy come from that. We are all believers, Avatar4321, and I wish you would follow the BoM's doctrines of taking care of the poor. Remember that King Benjamin ruled a theocracy, fusion of religion and state. There, was no such things as private charity.

This is exactly why I wish you would understand it. Because you clearly don't. One of the most beautiful sermons in existance on the need to take care of the poor and you think it means we are to outsource our responsibilities to our government.

King Benjamin was known for his personal service as King. He encouraged his people to serve one another:

12 I say unto you that as I have been suffered to spend my days in your service, even up to this time, and have not sought gold nor silver nor any manner of riches of you;

13 Neither have I suffered that ye should be confined in dungeons, nor that ye should make slaves one of another, nor that ye should murder, or plunder, or steal, or commit adultery; nor even have I suffered that ye should commit any manner of wickedness, and have taught you that ye should keep the commandments of the Lord, in all things which he hath commanded you—

14 And even I, myself, have labored with mine own hands that I might serve you, and that ye should not be laden with taxes, and that there should nothing come upon you which was grievous to be borne—and of all these things which I have spoken, ye yourselves are witnesses this day.

15 Yet, my brethren, I have not done these things that I might boast, neither do I tell these things that thereby I might accuse you; but I tell you these things that ye may know that I can answer a clear conscience before God this day.

16 Behold, I say unto you that because I said unto you that I had spent my days in your service, I do not desire to boast, for I have only been in the service of God.

17 And behold, I tell you these things that ye may learn wisdom; that ye may learn that when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God.

18 Behold, ye have called me your king; and if I, whom ye call your king, do labor to serve you, then ought not ye to labor to serve one another? (Mosiah 2: 12-18

Now, how can you read that and conclude that he was telling them that they should pay more taxes so the government can take care of others? God doesn't ask us to hand over our money to other people to serve our fellow man. He doesn't ask us to take money from others to serve our fellow man. He asks us to give of our time, talents, and money to serve one another and lift up the poor. It is our duty as individuals to act. We are called and commanded to be disciples and lift up those that our poor. Not burden the people with taxes and then use the money of others and the time of others to give to others.

It was the wicked King Noah who laid heavy taxes on the people to do "public works." (Ironically King Noah's tax rate, which the scriptures say was oppressive, is significantly lower than ours. Only 20%).

How will you find the Holy Spirit in the text if you don't understand it? Stop pretending that a government program fulfills your obligations to serve and just serve. Stop making excuses and just let go. Go to work and put it in the hands of the Lord. He will magnify your efforts and you will accomplish far more than any government program will.

This is exactly why I wish you would understand it. Because you clearly don't. One of the most beautiful sermons in existance on the need to take care of the poor and you think it means we are to outsource our responsibilities to our government.

King Benjamin was known for his personal service as King. He encouraged his people to serve one another:

12 I say unto you that as I have been suffered to spend my days in your service, even up to this time, and have not sought gold nor silver nor any manner of riches of you;

13 Neither have I suffered that ye should be confined in dungeons, nor that ye should make slaves one of another, nor that ye should murder, or plunder, or steal, or commit adultery; nor even have I suffered that ye should commit any manner of wickedness, and have taught you that ye should keep the commandments of the Lord, in all things which he hath commanded you—

14 And even I, myself, have labored with mine own hands that I might serve you, and that ye should not be laden with taxes, and that there should nothing come upon you which was grievous to be borne—and of all these things which I have spoken, ye yourselves are witnesses this day.

15 Yet, my brethren, I have not done these things that I might boast, neither do I tell these things that thereby I might accuse you; but I tell you these things that ye may know that I can answer a clear conscience before God this day.

16 Behold, I say unto you that because I said unto you that I had spent my days in your service, I do not desire to boast, for I have only been in the service of God.

17 And behold, I tell you these things that ye may learn wisdom; that ye may learn that when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God.

18 Behold, ye have called me your king; and if I, whom ye call your king, do labor to serve you, then ought not ye to labor to serve one another? (Mosiah 2: 12-18

Now, how can you read that and conclude that he was telling them that they should pay more taxes so the government can take care of others? God doesn't ask us to hand over our money to other people to serve our fellow man. He doesn't ask us to take money from others to serve our fellow man. He asks us to give of our time, talents, and money to serve one another and lift up the poor. It is our duty as individuals to act. We are called and commanded to be disciples and lift up those that our poor. Not burden the people with taxes and then use the money of others and the time of others to give to others.

It was the wicked King Noah who laid heavy taxes on the people to do "public works." (Ironically King Noah's tax rate, which the scriptures say was oppressive, is significantly lower than ours. Only 20%).

How will you find the Holy Spirit in the text if you don't understand it? Stop pretending that a government program fulfills your obligations to serve and just serve. Stop making excuses and just let go. Go to work and put it in the hands of the Lord. He will magnify your efforts and you will accomplish far more than any government program will.

You simply do not believe the words of King Benjamin about this anymore than you believe the words of BY about certain things. You have faith. Good for you. You don't have the evidence to support your faith, but so what. Best to you in your walk.

Forum List

Back