Votes: 25 10.0%
  • Crazy

Votes: 105 42.2%
  • Christian

Votes: 45 18.1%

• Total voters
Dance, my little puppet, dance....

kasper_osn.jpg

Daws- thanks for your insights on this thread.

In reference to your response to Q5- They really belive that? Fossils are remains of creatures from other planets God blew up to make Earth?

Wow, every time I think I find that I've hit bottom on LDS crazy, they find a new flavor of crazy.
in misspent youth I did many LSD trips none were nearly as strange as the crap the LDS were PUSHING AS FACT.

In 1980 belief in evolution was not considered inconsistent with Mormonism to the best of my understanding.

At BYU, it was taught that human remains have been found which are older than 6000 years.

God created the earth and put humans on the earth but we don't know the mechanism he used to do it. It could have been through evolution.

Have LDS teachings changed since then?
The point is that evolution is a scientific theory, not a religious dogma, so the Church's official position is one of neutrality. The statements of some leaders notwithstanding.

a former-mormon scientist comments:
This argument is fallacious. The Mormon church is NOT neutral on a number of issues that are not strictly religious. The equal-rights amendment was officially opposed by the Mormon church, yet it is a political statement, not religious dogma. The idea that the Mormon church is neutral on any subject that is not religious dogma is ridiculous. At the end of this post I list dozens of quotations from Mormon prophets, apostles, seers, and revelators that show the Mormon church and its leaders are definitely NOT neutral on the subject of Darwinian evolution.

One simply cannot offer a credible argument on the subject by asserting that the consistent statements of Mormonism's most prominent priesthood leaders is not significant or relevant to the discussion.

someone continued:
A FAQ is in the process of being put together on Eyring-L to help people understand this better.

a former-mormon scientist comments:
A FAQ containing statements by prominent Mormon Priesthood leaders on the subject of Darwinian evolution would be most welcome. Following are a number of quotations that I submit for inclusion into the FAQ.

The official statement of the Mormon church on the origin of the earth and life is in Moses chapter 2 and Abraham chapter 4 in the Pearl of Great Price. The Pearl of Great Price is one of Mormonism's standard works. It is held by the Mormon church and its leaders as revelation from god, and official church doctrine. Chapter 2 is supposedly a revelation from god to Joseph Smith describing how god created the earth, and life on it. Chapter 4 basically repeats chapter 2, with some minor modifications. The heading for chapter 2 reads "As revealed to Joseph Smith the Prophet, in December, 1830. The first verse reads "And it came to pass that the Lord spake unto Moses saying: Behold, I reveal unto you concerning the heaven, and this earth; write the words which I speak. I am the Beginning and the End, the Almighty God; by mine only Begotten I created these things; yea, in the beginning I created the heaven, and the earth upon which thou standest."

Edited-copywrite violation-Meister
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Can Mormons believe in evolution given what their leaders have said?

They're called "garments". They cover more of the body than typical underwear. No short shorts for Mormons. ( :
So mormons wear long underwear? So do I when it's cold. Do they wear them in the summer when it's hot? What's the rational behind wearing long underwear, and are their long underwear any different than what a non-mormon would wear?
YES THERE IS "garments" are thin cotton and have folding panel that opens when you heed the call of nature and have a tab of cloth on each sleeve and leg. as I recall they are short sleeved and end just above the need.
they are purported to be endowed with "magical" power given to them by god.

we were taught that they would protect the wearer from injury (physical and spiritual)
if that was the case why cover just the torso and not the head?
my dad was in a car accident while wearing his garments broke 3 ribs and separated his shoulder.......was the magic turned off that night or what?

They're called "garments". They cover more of the body than typical underwear. No short shorts for Mormons. ( :
So mormons wear long underwear? So do I when it's cold. Do they wear them in the summer when it's hot? What's the rational behind wearing long underwear, and are their long underwear any different than what a non-mormon would wear?
YES THERE IS "garments" are thin cotton and have folding panel that opens when you heed the call of nature and have a tab of cloth on each sleeve and leg. as I recall they are short sleeved and end just above the need.

we were taught that they would protect the wearer from injury (physical and spiritual)
my dad was in a car accident while wearing his garments broke 3 ribs and separated his shoulder.......was the magic turned off that night or what?

As a mormon, I have never been told my garments were magic or that they would prevent injury. There are statements made regarding them, but I keep it in context.

When people use the term "magic underwear" I wonder what they are making reference to.

As a mormon, I have never been told my garments were magic or that they would prevent injury. There are statements made regarding them, but I keep it in context.

When people use the term "magic underwear" I wonder what they are making reference to.
bullshit!

They are mocking so to poison the well of discussion.

See they don't want honest discussion. So they go to whatever extent they can to avoid such discussion.

Honest discussion leads to recognizing mistakes and repentence. They are avoiding that for whatever reason they might have.

It's easier to mock than to discuss doctrine.

In reference to your response to Q5- They really belive that? Fossils are remains of creatures from other planets God blew up to make Earth?

Wow, every time I think I find that I've hit bottom on LDS crazy, they find a new flavor of crazy.
in misspent youth I did many LSD trips none were nearly as strange as the crap the LDS were PUSHING AS FACT.

Well, drug use explains quite alot. I sincerely hope you have recovered from such addictions. If not, we will be more than happy to help you in any way we can.

See they don't want honest discussion. So they go to whatever extent they can to avoid such discussion.

Honest discussion leads to recognizing mistakes and repentence. They are avoiding that for whatever reason they might have.

I suspect the last thing they are interested in is discussing doctrine.

I read bitterness and apostacy.

People like that seem to tear away at things they don't like instead of offering up things they feel will be better.

I find it funny that Joe somehow has become the center of the religious universe. He knows God does not exist. He is a spec on a spec rock that is part of a spec solar system. And we DO know what is out there in terms of galaxies and the like.

But Joe is grand enough to know.....There is no God.

:eusa_angel::eusa_angel::eusa_angel:

Well, drug use explains quite alot. I sincerely hope you have recovered from such addictions. If not, we will be more than happy to help you in any way we can.
your lack of a sense of humor shines!

People like that seem to tear away at things they don't like instead of offering up things they feel will be better.

I find it funny that Joe somehow has become the center of the religious universe. He knows God does not exist. He is a spec on a spec rock that is part of a spec solar system. And we DO know what is out there in terms of galaxies and the like.

:eusa_angel::eusa_angel::eusa_angel:
then your reading is flawed ...
BTW there is no quantifiable evidence of god...no bitterness . Did you mean: apostasy.( Apostasy in Christianity refers to the rejection of Christianity by someone who formerly was a Christian ) since I never chose to be a Mormon or Christian that term (Apostasy) is meaningless .

quite.

Because the God of Mormonism is illogical. He has a 14 billion year plan to create a universe, but then he takes time out of his busy eternity to become a man, after he gets bored tormenting the ants for a while.

Simply put, if we are a spec in the universe, why would any God, who again is eternal, omnipotent, omniscient, etc really care which church I go to or what hole I'm sticking my dick in? By your own definition, he should be indifferent to such matters.

quite.

Because the God of Mormonism is illogical. He has a 14 billion year plan to create a universe, but then he takes time out of his busy eternity to become a man, after he gets bored tormenting the ants for a while.

Simply put, if we are a spec in the universe, why would any God, who again is eternal, omnipotent, omniscient, etc really care which church I go to or what hole I'm sticking my dick in? By your own definition, he should be indifferent to such matters.
well you see Joe, the Mormons believe that our god is not the only god, in their teachings "Our" god only rules this planet, other gods rule other planets .
so if the universe is infinite there are an infinite number of gods ,kinda like the greek and roman pantheon only more mormony!:eusa_whistle:

your lack of a sense of humor shines!

I dont think it good to laugh at druggies. They need help and sympathy. Not to be mocked.

I have no problem laughing when something is actually funny. Good humor is hard to come by these days.

quite.

well you see Joe, the Mormons believe that our god is not the only god, in their teachings "Our" god only rules this planet, other gods rule other planets .
so if the universe is infinite there are an infinite number of gods ,kinda like the greek and roman pantheon only more mormony!:eusa_whistle:

My bad. I should have specified the "Christian" God. Not the Mormon God, who apparently used to be Adam or something. Listening was implying the Mormon God was the same God.

quite.

That is the nice thing about a higly intelligent being. He tells us why.

As opposed to yourself (being the opposite of intelligent) who knows nothing.....except to wonder about what hole.........

quite.

As opposed to yourself (being the opposite of intelligent) who knows nothing.....except to wonder about what hole.........

He doesnt' tell us anything.

Egotistical people who make up bibles in order to get power tell us things, but they are bullshit.

Seriously, do you spend time caring about the Ants under your porch? I mean individual ants.... I mean, you might spray them if they get into the house or something... but you aren't really spending time worried about their personal conduct.

But your Invisible Friend in the Sky is so much above us than we are to an ant... and yet he is just up there obsessing about our lives and how much we kiss his ass.

Really.

"I'm God, and I'm insecure. I need a hug."

quite.

He doesnt' tell us anything.

Egotistical people who make up bibles in order to get power tell us things, but they are bullshit.

Seriously, do you spend time caring about the Ants under your porch? I mean individual ants.... I mean, you might spray them if they get into the house or something... but you aren't really spending time worried about their personal conduct.

But your Invisible Friend in the Sky is so much above us than we are to an ant... and yet he is just up there obsessing about our lives and how much we kiss his ass.

Really.

"I'm God, and I'm insecure. I need a hug."

You are right on cue.

Forum List

Back